Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OVB
    • By OVB 26th Nov 14, 4:41 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    OVB
    A mortgage PPI
    • 26th Nov 14, 4:41 PM
    A mortgage PPI 26th Nov 14 at 4:41 PM
    I made a complaint regarding a PPI for a mortgage four weeks ago. This is something I finally got round to doing after months of putting it off. I chased the broker a couple of weeks ago and he said he was still looking into it as he has to review the file and some call recordings so I just chased it again as I want this money for Christmas and he told me to expect a response within eight weeks of my complaint but in his view he said he will probably be rejecting my claim and he will fully explain why in this final letter I told him I have every right to complain and I will take it much further and mentoned the FOS but he said he is doing nothing wrong and put the phone down on me do I just go to the FOS and get them on it as he is obviously using delaying tactics
Page 2
    • roonaldo
    • By roonaldo 27th Nov 14, 6:38 AM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    roonaldo
    If you do refer it to FOS and lose, I just hope you receive an invoice for the FOS fee.

The type of work premises has nothing to do with mis-selling.

You need to understand there is nothing wrong with having PPI especially for a mortgage.
    • addedvaluebob
    • By addedvaluebob 27th Nov 14, 6:49 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    addedvaluebob
    But there is rarely any useful advice just criticism of the poster and their reasons because they don't usually frame the posting or the original complaint properly because they don't really understand what they are doing/writing.

In response to this they get 'your reasons are rubbish, most complaints will fail, that's not a reason, you are trying it on, what the broker did was legal, he did nothing wrong, you are being aggressive' - this is advice?
    Originally posted by addedvaluebob
    So lets see, since posting this the OP has been told:

I hope you get a fee..........not allowed
    One contributor feels sympathy for the OP's husband
    Your grounds for complaint are wrong (again) but we don't know the actual complaint reasons
    The OP is a snob
    The OP is ridiculous and immature

That's really helpful advice
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 27th Nov 14, 7:29 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah

Your grounds for complaint are wrong (again) but we don't know the actual complaint reasons
    The OP is a snob

Yes but we also have a poster who

Wants an insurance refund so they can go Christmas shopping

Wants to report the advisor to the ombudsman (which will cost him. £500) because he works from home so must be dodgy

Thinks the advisor will somehow be finding an actor to do the op's voice as they don't think it will be them on the recording (a recording that they haven't yet heard but just assume will be fabricated)

Thinks the advisor is cocky because he has this recording - I bet he does if he has a recording that proves the op's account is untruthful. If they then refer to the fos if this recording exists then they are being spiteful and I too hope they get landed with the bill as I believe anyone who makes malicious complaints should.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 27th Nov 14, 9:00 AM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    lovinituk

The OP is a snob

They've brought it all on themselves. I'm all for being helpful and giving advice, but not when the person is acting like a petulant child.
    • OVB
    • By OVB 28th Nov 14, 3:49 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    OVB
    I got his letter today and guess what he has rejected my claim and sent a copy of a call and it sounds like me but I have no recolection of this conversation but the salesman pushed me into having it in a sly way as he said I did not have to have it but if I did not and I lost my job and did not pay they would have my house away so he blackmailed me so I am taking it much much further thank you.
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 28th Nov 14, 4:02 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    But he was telling the truth - if you can't pay your mortgage they will repossess your house. Advisors are allowed to disturb and taking insurance is best advice

My husband was told yesterday that he is being made redundant in March from a job he has had for 12 years - no signs of problems but boss was unable to renegotiate the lease on the premises on favourable terms so is closing instead

Fortunately because we have redundancy cover my husband will get his normal salary amount for the next year and with the redundancy pay we don't have to worry about the mortgage for the next 2 and a half years

Am I glad I took that cover
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 28th Nov 14, 4:14 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Is the OP for real? Please tell me its a wind up! I'd be much happier knowing it was a troll than to think people like this walk amongst us!
    • societys child
    • By societys child 28th Nov 14, 5:06 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 5,243 Thanks
    societys child
    I got his letter today and guess what he has rejected my claim and sent a copy of a call and it sounds like me but I have no recolection of this conversation but the salesman pushed me into having it in a sly way as he said I did not have to have it but if I did not and I lost my job and did not pay they would have my house away so he blackmailed me
    Originally posted by OVB
    Doesn't matter if you recall the conversation or not, they have the proof.
    Nothing sly about it and it's definitely not blackmail. fgs

so I am taking it much much further thank you.
    I really hope this whole thread is a wind-up, if not, you've got problems . .

Is the OP for real? Please tell me its a wind up! I'd be much happier knowing it was a troll than to think people like this walk amongst us!
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    It really is frightening

• magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 28th Nov 14, 5:06 PM
    • 9,101 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    I got his letter today and guess what he has rejected my claim and sent a copy of a call and it sounds like me
    Originally posted by OVB
    I wonder why that might be.
    but I have no recolection of this conversation
    My diagnosis is amnesia conveniensis (and possibly dyslexia).

but the salesman pushed me into having it in a sly way as he said I did not have to have it but if I did not and I lost my job and did not pay they would have my house away
    The Mortgage Code Compliance Board said, "The importance of this issue cannot be ignored. Customers are to be advised of the options available to safeguard their income and mortgage repayments .....If customers do not wish to take up protection insurance, it is "good practice" to have them sign a disclaimer to that effect."

Until the end of October 2004 that was the then regulator's stance.

What the adviser told you was perfectly true.

so he blackmailed me
    Says the woman is looking for the adviser to pay for her Christmas or she will cause him to waste a lot of time and incur a fee of £850.

I am taking it much much further thank you.
    No you are not, you are taking it to FOS.

It sounds like the adviser has a strong case.

Unfortunately, he cannot bill you for the FOS fee. However, he can report you to ActionFraud if he chooses.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 28th Nov 14, 5:17 PM
    • 9,101 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Okay

Actually, in certain circumstances it is permissible.
    Well I am certainly glad she is not my wife!

Because the OP has given no reason except that she want the money for Christmas.

If that is the reason, I suggest she sticks her request up her

CHIMNEY

The OP is a snob
    She is making value judgements on people simply because they work from home. (I am not making a value judgement about this, I realise this is not an option for everybody and some either have to travel to work or are really unable to do so).
    I have not said that but her posts do seem to be consistent with frivolity and vexation

What would you prefer? "Calm down dear"?
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 28th Nov 14, 5:22 PM
    • 9,101 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    My husband was told yesterday that he is being made redundant in March from a job he has had for 12 years - no signs of problems but boss was unable to renegotiate the lease on the premises on favourable terms so is closing instead

Fortunately because we have redundancy cover my husband will get his normal salary amount for the next year and with the redundancy pay we don't have to worry about the mortgage for the next 2 and a half years

Am I glad I took that cover
    Originally posted by haras_nosirrah
    Absolutely.

Hopefully he will find an alternative in short order and will not need to claim for the full time he is covered.

When it happened to us, we used most of it to pay down the mortgage but got new jobs and were able to keep the mortgage repayments the same. As a result when it happened again we no longer had a mortgage and were able to take the risk of setting up our own businesses.

Good luck.
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 28th Nov 14, 5:37 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    Thanks

Actually this will probably be a positive thing. He was miserable and bored at work but didn't want to leave because it was stable employment

Now he has a chance to find what he wants to do and we don't have the financial pressure for him to find any job regardless of that it is

Could end up being the best thing that ever happened to him however for others it would be the worst as they could lose their home.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 28th Nov 14, 5:47 PM
    • 9,101 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    As I say, I work from home. The "commute" used to be almost an hour. Now it is almost a minute!

Find a niche that others are not doing. It can be based on what he is doing now (my business developed out of work I was doing before) or something completely different - my wife does garden design and also maths and physics tuition.

It can be very liberating and, if you can get your head around running a limited company, avoid a lot of National Insurance!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 28th Nov 14, 6:26 PM
    • 89,566 Posts
    • 56,030 Thanks
    dunstonh
    sent a copy of a call and it sounds like me but I have no recolection of this conversation
    Your memory is not grounds for complaint. The evidence here is strong and trumps your poor memory (which is understandable as who is really interested in the insurance side when it comes to doing the mortgage)

but the salesman pushed me into having it in a sly way as he said I did not have to have it but if I did not and I lost my job and did not pay they would have my house away so he blackmailed me
    First of all, this is not a salesman. This was an adviser. The adviser has a mandatory requirement to point out shortfalls and ways to fill those shortfalls. There is no blackmail here. It is a point of fact.

so I am taking it much much further
    So, effectively, you are now complaining that the adviser did their job correctly. This is ludicrous.

Still, the FOS will know what the adviser requirements were and will listen to that recording and be very happy that the adviser keeps such good records. You have no further to take it other than the FOS and from what you have said, this is a complete and utter waste of time for all involved.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • roonaldo
    • By roonaldo 28th Nov 14, 8:47 PM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    roonaldo

The OP is a snob

like you dont come on here to wind people up
    • OVB
    • By OVB 4th Jun 15, 7:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    OVB
    Update
    Well the FOS must agree as they have made a case of it and given him 8 weeks to reply and payup I reckon just shows that you should carry on your complaint even if others tell you not to like on this place
    • tomtontom
    • By tomtontom 4th Jun 15, 8:03 PM
    • 7,199 Posts
    • 16,351 Thanks
    tomtontom
    Well the FOS must agree as they have made a case of it and given him 8 weeks to reply and payup I reckon just shows that you should carry on your complaint even if others tell you not to like on this place
    Originally posted by OVB
    The Ombudsman will "make a case" of every complaint they receive, and it is standard practice to give the other party eight weeks to respond. Nothing you have said indicates you are due to receive a "payup".
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Jun 15, 5:27 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 5,243 Thanks
    societys child
    Originally posted by OVB
    You've complained, and the FOS have now asked the broker for his side. There's two sides to every story . . .

and payup I reckon
    That bit made me laugh.
    Last edited by societys child; 05-06-2015 at 5:29 PM.

• OVB
    • By OVB 10th Nov 17, 6:43 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    OVB
    The FOS sided with the broker as expected in a old boys network but now going for a Pelvin about it and will let everyone know
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 10th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Ganga
    The FOS sided with the broker as expected in a old boys network but now going for a Pelvin about it and will let everyone know
    Originally posted by OVB
    No the FOS sided with the broker because he did nothing wrong,may i sugest that you contact " addedvaluebob" who seemed to think you should be payed out,ask him to do it
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,694Users online

Martin's Twitter