Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,330Posts
    • 17,751Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 98
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 62,175 Thanks
    kittie
    Oooh lucky you having woodsmoke to enjoy! Wonderful scent...
    !
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    it might have a lovely scent but smelling woodsmoke means that your lungs are taking in the wood smoke particles, which are bad for the lungs, even short term exposure can aggravate lung disease, asthma, bronchitis and lead to lung infections. Long term exposure can lead to reduced lung function and chronic bronchitis etc

Not everyone has a very efficient wood stove, which means that particle-laden smoke gets into rooms and into the outside air, entering vents of neighbouring properties, depending on the wind
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 5th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 11,938 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    W
    DS is sleeping better without the heater on in his room. He had an eczema flare up on his back which we think was triggered by getting too warm at night. His body temperature regulation is changing now he's over a year old.
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    Lucy, I've said this before on this forum, but the old school GP in the village where I grew up refused to have central heating installed in the bedrooms of his house. He insisted people should be wrapped up warm in bed, but breathing fresh cool air. Modern houses seem so stuffy and overheated.

Did a freezer audit the other day, and am looking forward to making a load of spicy veg soup soon. The only portion left from last winter seems to be Thai Parsnip & Butterbean. I have to guess based on colour....
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 5th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 7,686 Posts
    • 25,831 Thanks
    Primrose

Did a freezer audit the other day, and am looking forward to making a load of spicy veg soup soon. The only portion left from last winter seems to be Thai Parsnip & Butterbean. I have to guess based on colour....
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly

Unlabelled freezer stuff can be embarrassing. I once dumped a bag of what I thought was chicken stock into a pot of home made minestrone soup. Unfortunately it proved to be gooseberry purree !
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 14,037 Posts
    • 130,775 Thanks
    mardatha
    I used to use peat and the smell stays with you forever It was hot but I had to work with it, not like coal where you throw it on and ignore it.
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 7th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    Been in garden today, moved big table and covered BBQ. Chimenea still accessible - will probably light over Halloween and bonfire night. Last of the pots have been emptied and bulbs planted.

Not quite youngest feeling a bit ropey so she is all wrapped up. Tiniest one is faffing about in shorts and a t-shirt so it's definitely not cold down in Berkshire!

Got a voucher to spend in a well known supermarket beginning with T yesterday - £7 off a £50 quid shop. Also had a voucher for money off a smelly candle so did my usual shop and spent the extra £7 on boring things like lentils, uht milk, oats and bits for the store cupboard. The candle voucher was used to get a lovely Christmassy scented one which will go into a hamper for the Christmas market at tiniest ones school.

Feeling very virtuous and pleased with myself!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Oct 17, 7:09 AM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 152,419 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've lit the stove in the evening for the past two days we've needed it as it's been chilly! We've located another sweep to sweep the chimney, he knows our former one as a colleague and apparently the original Sweep has moved out of area and is winding down his business here. I wish he'd let US know! This new chappie is so booked he can't make it to us until early December but better late then never eh? I'm also aware of needing a hot meal at lunchtime now, invariably home made soup but the days of salad and fruit have departed until next summer I feel.....winter draws on!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 14,037 Posts
    • 130,775 Thanks
    mardatha
    MrsL alweays get the chimney swept in August - by then the birds have long stopped trying to nest in chimneys and the sweep isn't busy
    We've had the long skeins of geese coming over us, going south. That's winter coming for sure. And the cat is getting very excited about the corner unit in the kitchen, next to the sink. That means the field mice are moving into the walls.
    Mind you if she ever saw one she'd probly scream and faint..
    I'm so looking forward to winter, I enjoy the long dark nights and since I started overheating I will enjoy the cooler temps
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Oct 17, 8:42 AM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 152,419 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We were booked for the first week of September MAR and he didn't show, and hasn't responded to any of the messages we've left on his phone. The appointment was booked last year when he cleaned the chimney and we normally get it sorted well before the 'burning' season. Bad customer service to NOT let us know he'd moved and wouldn't be coming though I have to say up to that point he's been very reliable and thorough in his job and is a very pleasant bloke.

Outside smells of winter this morning, it's lovely. No geese here yet but I'm expecting them in the not too distant future, they overwinter on the nature reserve down on the river and I love to see them bobbing up and down and just being 'goosey' on the river and pottering on the beach at low tide. Feels much cooler here over the past couple of days and I'm looking forward to seeing the first skeins fly over the house en-route to the nature reserve, gives me a 'lift of heart' like nothing else xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 5,976 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I love seeing the geese too. There were loads of them in the park the other day, near the lake.

I have been lighting my scented candles and my LED candles at dusk and it feels lovely and cosy. It still isn't that chilly here so it's not heating on or fluffy sock weather yet.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Oct 17, 8:15 AM
    • 14,037 Posts
    • 130,775 Thanks
    mardatha
    I think we're on the flight path, and they all seem to gather on the fields a mile or so up the road and eat the grass
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 10th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 19,335 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    This summer, we had new windows and doors installed, including having our old stained glass panels encapsulated so that we still have them. They are beautiful things, with coloured surrounds, but it's so stuffy with them closed that I have them open at all times, unless we're going out or it's blowing a real hoolie!!

Got a bit of washing on the line today, first time in well over a week, it keeps raining at the exact time my washer finishes!! Quite mild today (about 16 C), but slowly cooling at night. Had the CH heating on for a few short bursts to check it, and had the stove on once or twice. This week, I'll clean out the stove properly, and get some coal in, and chop up the wood in the garage that's destined for kindling. I've no big chunks of wood, despite mentioning it around our friends, so might have buy some when I get the coal, but there's a place about 20 minutes' drive away that does all manner of solid fuel and decent prices - worth the trip.

A xo
    CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)

Jan GC £27.05/£300
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 11th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 19,335 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    Just had an email from the energy company, despite being in credit our DD will go up by nearly £20 a month from November!! These new windows/doors had better bl00dy do their thing and help to keep the cold out, cos I'll hardly put the CH on and update readings even quicker to try and get it back down! Plus, I think I'd best use the slow cooker even teatime!!

A xo
    CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)

Jan GC £27.05/£300
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 11th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 7,983 Thanks
    Living proof
    Just had an email from the energy company, despite being in credit our DD will go up by nearly £20 a month from November!! These new windows/doors had better bl00dy do their thing and help to keep the cold out, cos I'll hardly put the CH on and update readings even quicker to try and get it back down! Plus, I think I'd best use the slow cooker even teatime!!

A xo
    Originally posted by Cheapskate
    I argued the toss with my supplier and the customer service girl managed to get my standing order reduced from £66 to £46 a month. They had wanted to raise it to £78, cheeky devils. If I hadn't done that they would have had hundreds of pounds of my money when it could have been in my account (doing nothing!).
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 7,686 Posts
    • 25,831 Thanks
    Primrose
    We had an eye watering threatened increase from British Gas when our dual fuel tariff deal runs out imminently. My OH tried to negotiate a decrease given we also have an expensive home care appliance and boiler cover insurance policy with them but they wouldn,t budge so we,ve switched suppliers. It,s still going to be more expensive but not as bad as BG. I think all energy prices are going to cost us more. My thermal underwear is going to be well used this winter !
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    Tink_04
    We are feeling the chill as the flannelette sheets are on the beds and the fleece blankets on the sofa!

The CH is on for an hour before the kids bath and bed and if it's a really chilly morning, we have had a couple!!

We got our new smart meters installed and the kids are obsessed with saving electricity so that's been great as all the lights are getting switched off so they can see the numbers go down!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 11th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 6,713 Posts
    • 41,432 Thanks
    Pooky
    We still haven't needed to put the heating on and I haven't even had to light the fire yet.....although it was a bit touch and go this evening....jimjams and a dressing gown have done the job though.

It's been damp for a few days so washing is on the airers/hangers in the spare room, door closed, window open a crack and dehumidifier on and a load dries within 6 hours.

Someone offered us some huge wooden crates at the weekend, I've dragged everything out of the garage and rearranged everything so that they fit in and 2 are stacks with wood for next year, stuff that needs to season and the other 3 are stacked full of wood for this year. The crates are around 3 ft x 5ft and 4ft deep....amazing size for wood and I think we have enough for this year...I've got 5 pallets ready to chop for burning too.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 62,175 Thanks
    kittie
    serious
    see my last 2 posts on prepping thread
    • Thriftkitten
    • By Thriftkitten 17th Oct 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 5,949 Thanks
    Thriftkitten
    Morning preppers
    Hoping all those in the north of the country fair lightly through the last of the storm.
    We didn't see much damage here in Cornwall, just a very blustery day with high seas.... Hubby had fair warning and decided to bring the big fishing trawler in, he's the skipper so responsible for all the other men and is a worrier, they didn't need asking twice and were delighted at the prospect of a night drinking rum in the local Arrrgghhh ( best pirate voice)...
    We did have a few powercuts down at the shop during the day, but only momentarily, the customers were great and quite enjoyed the ambience of buying Fudge by candle light
    Batten down as you do so well in times of crisis and check back in tomorrow with your stories, hope everyone fares well x
    Thriftkitten

Tesco saving stamps £13.00

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p
    August 2014
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Oct 17, 7:20 AM
    • 14,037 Posts
    • 130,775 Thanks
    mardatha
    We had a rough night but not dire. Wind lasted until teatime yesterday, and at last the rain stopped. Seemingly another one coming at the weekend.. I quite fancy the idea of buying fudge by candlelight
    • Thriftkitten
    • By Thriftkitten 18th Oct 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 5,949 Thanks
    Thriftkitten
    We had a rough night but not dire. Wind lasted until teatime yesterday, and at last the rain stopped. Seemingly another one coming at the weekend.. I quite fancy the idea of buying fudge by candlelight
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I was quite hoping to inform Mother that the scales and the til had stopped working and I needed to go home and curl up with a hot chocolate.... Her response was.... 'Leave the til open and Lisa, after being in business for 46 years Im sure you don't need the scales to tell you what 100grams of fudge looks like.... Crack on!!!
    Glad to hear you fared well mar..
    Thriftkitten

Tesco saving stamps £13.00

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p
    August 2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,774Posts Today

7,272Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin