Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,330Posts
    • 17,748Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 97
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 26th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    We've had apples off the tree in our garden. They're eating ones as well. We're shocked. None last year.

DS is sleeping better without the heater on in his room. He had an eczema flare up on his back which we think was triggered by getting too warm at night. His body temperature regulation is changing now he's over a year old.

And I won't be getting cold this winter. Baby no. 2 will be keeping me warm. We're due mid April. I'm looking forward to not being heavily pregnant over the summer like last time!!!
    Last edited by Lucy5781; 26-09-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 30th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 11,019 Posts
    • 152,306 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Just been to the GP surgery and had my flu jab, comes under the heading of preparing for winter as this years strain of flu is reported to be rather nasty and likely to be hard to shake off. Prevention rather than cure has always seemed sensible to me. I know the virus can and does mutate so the jab may not give complete protection BUT anything is better than taking a chance in my eyes.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 30th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 88,311 Thanks
    fuddle
    My chest is sore Lyn I'm so relieved I had the jabs on Tuesday. I feel a very long and difficult winter period ahead of us. I've been reading there's a flu to hit us on par with a nasty one that hit in the early 1900's -1918 if I recall. I may have stored the wrong date there though.

I have many paracetamol but more will be sourced along with ginger root, good quality honey and lemons. Elderberry syrup is bottled and in the fridge but I am going to look at getting dried in for another batch especially as it looks like I'm going to be hitting it hard this weekend. I'd best add cinnamon and gloves to the stock list.

I'm pleased you're both jabbed Lyn.

What do others stock up on in preparation for the flu season?
    Good enough is good enough.

BMI - Oct: 31.8 Nov:?
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 30th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 7,675 Posts
    • 25,812 Thanks
    Primrose
    Always keep a good stock of honey and fresh lemons as soothers for sore throats and coughs. Don't really think the expensive over the counter cough mixtures do anything better although the advertisers would try to persuade us so. I also make fruit syrups from our soft fruit which also make soothing hot drinks with a useful hit of Vitamin C. Mint tea (with a few fresh leaves of any surviving mint in the garden infused in hot water) is also soothing. The ginger root sounds good too.

The last thing you feel like doing with a heavy cold is to go for a walk but often ten minutes outdoors if you're well wrapped up, especially if you can get a dose of winter sunshine, can often make you feel a little better. And of course good old cheap own brand paracetamol are useful for the really bad days!
    Flu jab booked. Had a really bad dose of it some years ago which kept me in bed for 5 days over Christmas. Never again! Real flu as opposed to a heavy cold completely wipes you out and makes you incapable of functioning at any level. Can,t understand why those who are entitled to it don't have one.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 30th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 11,019 Posts
    • 152,306 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've jut invested in a little single burner camp bistro stove, it runs on gas canisters which are easy to get and relatively cheap. The blurb says it will bring a litre of water to the boil in 5 minutes 25 seconds and I've been store cupboard shopping and got some packs of 5 minute pasta with various sauces, some packets of minestrone soup and some more porridge pots. I'll add more packet soups as I find them, Mr T had only a very small selection but they're useful in the store cupboard.

He Who Knows was lucky, he had a blood test yesterday afternoon and they gave him the flu jab then, I got there at 7.30 this morning for an 8 o clock opening and was 35th in the line which stretched out behind me like Wordsworths daffodils, in a never ending line!!! I was in and out in 5 minutes so worth the 30 minute wait!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 30th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 14,036 Posts
    • 130,762 Thanks
    mardatha
    We had an appt at 8, so went in got jabbed and out again. Thank god lol.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 30th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 7,675 Posts
    • 25,812 Thanks
    Primrose
    Our surgery has 20,000 patients so Flu Jabs are a military operation on October Saturdays. All the doctors and nurses come in and it's a case of "Line up, Sleeves up, Belt up! They also grab all the overweight looking people for a weigh in and BMI measurement. My OH got caught and was mortified to get a follow up letter from his GP a week later referring him to a free weight losis clinic on the NHS Had more impact than all my nagging on the topic ! Very efficient operation.
    We often complain about the inefficiencies of the NHS but this is one operation they really do well in my view.

Oh... and reminder to self to check ancient hot water bottle in case the rubber has started to rot !
    Last edited by Primrose; 30-09-2017 at 1:47 PM.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 30th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 14,036 Posts
    • 130,762 Thanks
    mardatha
    Our gp surgery has stopped the flu clinics as they said hardly anybody came. It's a very rural practice, according to their website 1500 patients. I'm very happy with that lol
    • Witless
    • By Witless 30th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    Witless
    This has been stockpile week - 1500 l oil (a lot cheaper than 3 x 500 l) which took the tank up to roughly what has been used since Nov 16 (might get another squirt of 900 l once the tank drops a bit) and almost filled the coal store (it might hold another 5/6 bags but it currently has roughly what was burned since Nov 16)

There's not enough for a 'full' year but it'll certainly see the winter out.

Friend felled some trees last week to widen the entrance from the lane so there'll be a load or two of blocks heading this way some of the weekends ..... once we get the motivation to split them (today was too nice to actually 'work')

(For some reason my stock up is about 6 weeks early this year - was last year mild(ish) or am I feeling the cold more this year? Last week was raw! Part of the reason was the gradual creep in oil prices and the fact the coal was still at last year's prices - one of the beauties of 'future proofing' prepping is that when you see a bargain on something you're going to buy anyway you can grab / stockpile it)
    • Witless
    • By Witless 30th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    Witless
    Oil has gone from 23.4p in Feb 16 through 34.5 in Nov 16 to 36.7 this week!

Over the same period / dates petrol has gone from £1.029 through £1.159 to £1.189 today.

(Part of my prepping is noting my consumption / costs)

2.5% inflation my !!!!!!
    • Brambleberry
    • By Brambleberry 30th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Brambleberry
    I doubled back at the roundabout to go for unleaded at £1.229 /l instead of 1.249 today, only 200 yards between them, worth it on a full tank, but definitely feels pricey.

First delivery of this season's solid fuel arrived yesterday and we have contemplated covering up the back door bench, so winter prep is stepping up a gear.
    Mortgage 2004: £120000 2017: £8000

Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet.
    • elona
    • By elona 30th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    • 11,198 Posts
    • 59,364 Thanks
    elona
    If anyone wants an earlier flu jab or to avoid queues Boots are offering a free flu jab to those who qualify under NHS.

My jab should be this Saturday and I might ask about a pneumonia vaccine while I am there.

I had a sore throat when I was a teenager and there was nothing in the house suitable but there was a pot of blackcurrant jam so I dissolved a spoonful in a cup of warm water and it really helped. Any hot drink is better than nothing.

I have someone making up shelving on Monday morning so I can sort out stores in the integral garage.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 1st Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    There was a research study which, iirc, was actually looking at something like rates of vocab-loss in the elderly.... groups of residential care home people doing yoga, or doing short walks outdoors or whatever.

Anyway, what they totally didn't expect was that the ones who had a 30-minute walk outdoors had virtually no colds all through the months of the research period.

So I shall be going for walks every day that I can, and to increase Vit-D levels, I'll push my jumper sleeves up to expose my forearms, wearing gloves to keep my hands warm.

I've nearly finished knitting myself a fitted little hood that will keep my ears cosily covered, as I really feel the cold weather in my ears, most unpleasant. I hope this will help!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 1st Oct 17, 7:19 AM
    • 14,036 Posts
    • 130,762 Thanks
    mardatha
    My dad, an old countryman who was fit as a fiddle all his life, went for 2 short walks every single day. When I was young he would take me on full-day hikes every sunday. He swore that fresh air kept you healthy. He and his 8 brothers & sisters grew up on the farm and 7 of them lived to their 80s.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 1st Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 11,019 Posts
    • 152,306 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We went to the local pub for supper last night as I've been given yet another bug (throat and cough this time) by those Grandpickles and was too blitzed to cook and walking home someone had lit a wood stove, it was gorgeous to smell the wood smoke and felt like the real beginning of autumn. Might light ours tonight but am loath to as the sweep let us down last week and despite many messages left hasn't been in touch yet. Will have to find an alternative pretty quickly as I too feel the weather is 'on the turn'.

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 1st Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Oooh lucky you having woodsmoke to enjoy! Wonderful scent...

There's a house near here I walk past sometimes and I'm sure they must use some weird unofficial source of coal, as the smoke is so strongly smelling of sulphur! Very odd!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 1st Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    My dad, an old countryman who was fit as a fiddle all his life, went for 2 short walks every single day. When I was young he would take me on full-day hikes every sunday. He swore that fresh air kept you healthy. He and his 8 brothers & sisters grew up on the farm and 7 of them lived to their 80s.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    That's what I aim for, two short walks daily. I'm glad to see I'm following in good footsteps - and my grandparents lived til mid-70s/late-80s on each side, so no reason I shouldn't go a fair distance... although I have had periods of quite bad disability with knee, then spinal problems, and I smoked for 26 years, so...

But I leave in the mornings with my chap, who drops me in town and I raid supermarkets for their 9am reductions, and walk a mile briskly, home by 9.30 and ready to start the day! I just need to work on getting that second walk done more often, and dragging my desk-bound chap out at weekends more often...
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 4th Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    I'm having my flu jab next week once I'm past the 12wk point on Friday. I didn't have one when pregnant with DS as I found out I was pregnant on New Year's Eve and wasn't past 12wks until the end of February.

It's been chillier here the last few days. Wind has been stronger and I've had the heating on in the evening for a bit as we've been out all day Monday and Tuesday so it stayed cold indoors. I always feel colder when sitting still for too long.

DS is now in one of his nice thicker coats when out in the buggy (No coat in the car, blanket over his straps in there), another one of my £1 charity shop finds but it's from Next.

I however, am boiling as soon as we go outside and I'm buggy pushing. Only a cardigan for me most days so far!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 5th Oct 17, 6:18 AM
    • 912 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Apodemus
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Wood smoke is great, but peat smoke is even better!
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 5th Oct 17, 7:17 AM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 6,300 Thanks
    tori.k

There's a house near here I walk past sometimes and I'm sure they must use some weird unofficial source of coal, as the smoke is so strongly smelling of sulphur! Very odd!
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    That could be me I've been experimenting with some of the Eco bricks, we tried coffee logs over the last week and they are awful smoke so badly you can't see the fire for the soot build up on the glass, and the smell only pet owners will understand,
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,192Posts Today

7,471Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin