Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,325Posts
    • 17,734Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM
    Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 03-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 95
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 6:44 AM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 60,947 Thanks
    kittie
    wednesday, it worked, slept a full 7+ hours, like a baby, I also wore some hm wool socks in bed and felt very cosy. Drat re tv watching in cosy bed though, I liked doing that but I`ll have to record things and watch in the day. I felt very energetic the whole day yesterday, went on a bike ride, I think the constant wind is energising. As soon as I started spinning, I became grounded and felt sleepy. I should think a jigsaw or somesuch would have the same effect, or knitting, something mindless

6 tea lights burnt yesterday, three at a time, keeps the chill off, honest

All water butts are now emptied and taps remain open, no more plant watering needed

Agreed re elderberries, I used to freeze and prep through winter. Also very good for eye health
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 5,080 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    wednesday, it worked, slept a full 7+ hours, like a baby, I also wore some hm wool socks in bed and felt very cosy.
    Originally posted by kittie
    Aw, that's nice. I'm putting on bedsocks tonight, I keep forgetting to do it, I'm going to leave them on my bed so I remember.

My duvet is going back on tonight as I woke up with the covers off again. I think it's because I'm not used to sleeping with blankets and I keep kicking them off me.

It feels very brr here today.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 15th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 19,317 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    It's feeling distinctly back-endish here now, condensation on the car early in the mornings. We've had some fair old gales during the last week or so, enough that the house is cooling rapidly, so we've had the heating on a few times, for an hour or so to take the chill off. Also had the stove on, and it will be back on later today so I don't have the CH on again. The persistent rain is reducing to infrequent showers, so hopefully we can go chumping for twigs and other bits for kindling.

We are working our way through the freezers, so I can re-stock with fresher items. The local farm is doing beef boxes soon so have ordered one that we'll share with one of the adult sons.

I think this weekend will be spent on checking and adding to or replacing tea lights, candles, children's vests, woollies, hot water bottles, and coats (DH and me).

Still waiting for the window company to return and finish off the windows. We had the leaded lights from our old 30s windows encapsulated, and the last item (front door) had to be done separately, so they'll come and fit that, along with finishing the bay window, which has draughts coming in from the unfinished sides. Makes sense for them to do all the little things in one visit, but I can't wait to put the curtains back in the front room and get all cosy in the evenings!

A xo
    CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)

Jan GC £27.05/£300
    • betterlife
    • By betterlife 16th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    betterlife
    Love this time of year when the leaves start changing colour and falling, and the evenings start drawing in. I have been prepping for the colder months for a couple of weeks now, making sure the children have all got coats that fit, shoes that don't leak lol as they all walk to and from school, which for the older 3 is a 30 minute walk each way!. I've been put extra on my gas card read for when the heating goes on, which hopefully won't be until the end of October, beginning of November. Until then it will be extra clothes, dressing gowns, blankets etc, and making sure the house is draft free. Earlier this week I sorted through my freezer and cleared out some unwanted things, since then I've been stocking up on meat, so have 3 whole chickens, 2 joints of belly pork, 2 large joints of beef (which I cut into 4) and 2 rings of hogs pudding. still want to buy some lamb, mince, sausages, and perhaps bacon/ham. each chicken will do use for a roast, sandwiches and a chicken and veg soup, beef will be roast and stew, so it all gets stretched and none wasted. I also have a mr T order ready to do for store cupboard basics, beans, tinned toms, oxo cubes, etc so hopefully weekly shops will become just fresh stuff. I much prefer cooking this time of year, lovely comforting homemade soups, pies, roasts etc, I find having my slow cooker on overnight makes my kitchen lovely and warm in the morning as well.
    Today I've bought a 25kg sack of potatoes, which at £7.50 will save me quite a bit of money over the next few weeks, and saves me carrying them home from supermarket too!
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 17th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    Love this thread! I prefer late autumn, winter and early spring so its been a labour of love to fold and put away T-shirts, summer dresses and replace them in the wardrobe with cosy jumpers and long sleeved blouses
    Just starting to stockpile for winter - doing tinned stuff and dry goods first and then will fill up the freezer and coal bunker
    Have already got quilts on the beds but need to start weather proofing the house and getting the garden tidy.
    Cooler weather and change of season is a good excuse for home baking and slow cooker stews
    Going to try the tip about using tea lights to take the chill off tonight - love having candles round the bath on dark evenings too!
    I would like to try to make a solution of horse chestnut as I have been told that horse chestnuts are a natural spider deterrent. Has anyone tried doing this please? Would really appreciate a recipe
    Last edited by charlies-aunt; 17-09-2017 at 1:13 PM.
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 17th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 5,759 Posts
    • 87,554 Thanks
    fuddle
    Betterlife I have a sudden craving for a mug of Oxo in one hand and a cream cracker to dip in it in the other hand! I used to do it alot as a teen.

For anyone reading who feels overwhelmed with the turning weather and colder homes cardboard, bubble wrap and cheapo fleece (my source was IKEA) on the windows helps immensely. Private rented had been a nightmare for my family in terms of damp and coldness. Bubble wrap kind of sticks itself when wet to the window pane. I used to just place cardboard behind the fleece as with the damp nothing would stick it on and the fleece, at one point, was pegged on the curtains. For a draft excluder I once stuffed a carrier bag with loads of other carrier bags and taped it sausage like. I put tin foil behind the radiators to try to stop the heat escaping through the walls. Cheapy IKEA fleece were added to under the sheets of all beds and if anyone's bed had a space I made sure I stored things under there to stop cold coming up from under the mattress. I remember making rice heat bags that microwaved (be careful as they can burn, heat with a cup of water) and provided a hot water bottle effect for an hour or so.

There will be more that comes to mind. Has anyone any more ideas that we used to all share some years ago. I learned so much from this thread.
    Success.
    It's not always what you see.
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 17th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    Venison casserole in the slow cooker, small people just deposited at their dad's with a request for fleecy sheets on their return, summer tubs in garden mostly emptied and conkers on all the window sills. Autumn has definitely arrived here!

Plans for this week include finding hot water bottles and food flasks. Not quite youngest has just started senior school and is happy to take hot food in flask - wasn't able to at primary- so this will be really handy and save money on hot dinners.

As requested fleece sheets are going on beds this week - saving the pillow cases for when it's really nippy!
    • babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 17th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 2,385 Thanks
    babyblooz
    The downside of this weeks preparations for winter is ... my slow cooker has died! If anyone has any recommendations please feel free to let me know. I have seen a 6 litre one for £25 in Wilkinsons but don't know if I would use one that big really. My old one was a 3.5 litre and could just fit a small chicken in and could make rice pud using four pints of milk. Don't know what to do really, buy the big one or just replace like with like.

On the upside, I have just frozen 8lbs of elderberries in strong plastic bags. I figured I could make fresh syrup with 2lbs of berries at a time throughout the winter and replace as needed depending on how many of my special people have colds and viruses.

I have lots of tidying up to do outside as I have emptied lots of pots that are now looking tired and muddy and are stacked up outside. They would soon fly off if we had high winds so I need to decide do I chuck, or do I clean and store away in the shed?

I have stripped the front pots of their straggly remnants of summer flowers and replaced with a lovely yellowish green shrub and nice bright cyclamens. I do like the front door to look cheery and bright through the colder months!

And seeing as 'that' time of year is rapidly approaching I have downloaded a Christmas Present App onto my phone to try to get me a little more organised this year. I have six important people who have birthdays in November and that along with Christmas preparations can really stress me out so I am feeling a little bit more in control already.

I do enjoy reading about people's preparations for winter. I often wish I could be like a bear and get fat through the summer then just sleep it off snug and warm through the winter and wake up thin!
    please play nicely children !
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 18th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 6,387 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Thanks for some of the new ideas posted recently, some of us are 'old hands' at this now so it's nice to refresh.
    I 'use up' summer tee shirts which are starting to look faded, as an extra under layer during the winter. They are then used as soft dusters and dirty job cloths. (My niece told me that I was the only one she knew who kept a rag bag. Good heavens! )
    I've been fighting the idea that we aren't going to get that 'Indian Summer' I've longed for but it's time for reality take over. Tidying up in the garden is taking place, grass needs to be cut. If it stops raining for long enough! I like to trim shrubs to a reasonable height before we get the high winds that often occur in October. Spare pots and tubs are cleaned, nested and overturned. If placed on a few jar lids I fondly believe that I'm providing a little bit of shelter for passing wildlife and I place them against a house wall, maybe adding to the insulation?
    I'm also looking at replacement containers for the front door area, mainly evergreens, leaving space for a few Christmassy decorations and a solar lamp during December. I like the idea of adding colour but I don't like pansies, so any suggestions would be welcome? I've just discovered the shrub Physocarpus Little Angel that is a beautiful deep red which shines like coloured glass when the sun shines on it. Tempted to put that in a tub at the front door while it retains its' leaves. Just so that I can keep looking at it
    Slow cookers- I've been happy with the Wilkinson's ones but I did pass on the smaller one when I realised that it was recommended to only use it half full. This didn't really make enough for a meal for two in my opinion. I prefer to batch cook and get at least two meals so that I can freeze one for later.
    I have bought the Tower Digital Multi Cooker at Wilkinson's since. It is non-stick and you can vary the temperature and time, so great for pre-softening onions etc. while I'm prepping the rest of the ingredients. HTH
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 151,286 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Very long ago the answer to cold feet was a hot brick wrapped in a blanket, particularly when travelling in draughty carriages but used in beds too as foot warmers before there were hot water bottles. If you have a spare brick and a wood stove it might be an interesting experiment to stand your brick on the stove to get it as warm as you can and then seeing how long it stayed warm for when it was wrapped in an old towel or piece of fleece/blanket. The stove being to heat the room anyway on would give you free warm feet if it did actually work. I don't know how comfortable it would be used in bed though!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 18-09-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • betterlife
    • By betterlife 18th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 841 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    betterlife
    It was very fresh this morning on the school run, so winter coats was worn, and gloves dug out for little one, (which was good as I found 3 of the 4 hot water bottles as well) also put another £10 on my gas card, so hopefully that will be stocked up a bit for when the heating needs to go on, which hopefully won't be till the end of October, beginning of November. The family are starting to notice the house is a bit more chilly now in the mornings, so will make sure winter dressing gowns are laundered and fleecy blankets handy.
    Colds & Coughs have started already! My eldest has been feeling rubbish all weekend with a blocked nose, my daughter the same, so she is off school today and tucked up in bed, and my youngest has woke up with a runny nose too!, all have been dosed up with paracetamol and I've also added medicine to my shopping list, as with having 4 children it normally gets spread around pretty quick!
    I have a nice beef stew planned for tea today, using leftovers from yesterdays roast dinner, and today will be spent sorting dinning room storage, and rearranging kitchen cupboards ready for stocking up on basic essentials this week which are running low.
    Didn't manage to get out on Saturday conker collecting as it rained in the afternoon, so will hopefully get out after school one evening this week, we always have a little competition to see who can find the biggest
    Hope everyone has a nice day x
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 151,286 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We can't use pansies in our front tubs because the deer eat them but we do and have done for years now put in red pink and white mini cyclamen which are tough little blighters and give a really colourful display and look 'christmassy' too. The deer leave these alone thank goodness!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 18th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 2,385 Thanks
    babyblooz
    Eenymeany does the Multi cooker take the place of a slow cooker?
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 18th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 7,609 Posts
    • 25,617 Thanks
    Primrose
    I use poly cotton sheets in summer but have some really thick Egyptian cotton sheets inherited from my mum, hardly used, which must be about 2 togs. My OH calls them The Shrouds (!) because they!re so heavy. About time to swap over and use them under our 4.5 summer duvet and they should keep us pretty snug all winter . My OH always como,ain't he gets too hot in bed, even in the depths of winter so a 10 tog duvet would really have him roasting!
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 18th Sep 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 5,410 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I'm meant to be hanging thick chenille curtains tonight, but the company has send a giant steam generator iron instead - one of the ones with a huge tank. Grr!!! I hate ironing and never keep clothes which need ironed!!!
    Downsized and mortgage free
    September 17 grocery challenge £64.28/£100
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 18th Sep 17, 10:58 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 6,387 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Eenymeany does the Multi cooker take the place of a slow cooker?
    Originally posted by babyblooz
    Yes, it is included in the menu although I must admit that I tend to use my old pottery cooker when leaving it on all day. (The program guide shows a cooking time of 70 minutes for slow cooking but adjustable of 5-99mins with adjustable temperature of 40-170 degrees. it keeps warm automatically after that time for up to 24 hours I think. I'm sorry but the instruction book is obviously a translation so is a bit awkward to understand but I'm marking it with my own little notes, like temperature required and time as I make regular dishes.
    You might find this promotion on youtube interesting. Seems that I'm not alone in finding the instruction book leaving a lot to be desired !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPtuXz5DKxs
    Sorry to go off topic everyone. Feel free to PM me Babyblooz if I can give you any more info on it
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 19th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 6,698 Posts
    • 41,241 Thanks
    Pooky
    The downside of this weeks preparations for winter is ... my slow cooker has died! If anyone has any recommendations please feel free to let me know. I have seen a 6 litre one for £25 in Wilkinsons but don't know if I would use one that big really. My old one was a 3.5 litre and could just fit a small chicken in and could make rice pud using four pints of milk. Don't know what to do really, buy the big one or just replace like with like.
    Originally posted by babyblooz
    Not sure if you found something to replace your slow cooker but we have an amazing new one from Murphy Richards - it's not a conventional slow cooker but a square metal pot with snug fitting lid that sits on an induction base - it was £40 from amazon but worth every penny. The lid seals properly so it cooks evenly and it's a dream to wash up.

We'd been given a large slow cooker from a friend of my mums, ours had died and she didn't get on with hers (used it twice)....we tried it several times but the lid just wouldn't seal and 8hours after starting a beef casserole the veg was still hard.....I'llbe sticking to the newer style now, the lid fits!

Woke up chilly for the past two nights so will aim to have the 10 tog duvet on when I change the bed on Friday - the 4.5 tog and a crochet blanket just isn't cutting it. Doesn't help that DH uses a CPap machine at night and it blows out cold air, when that hits the back of your neck at 2am it's a bit of a cold shock!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 19th Sep 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 6,387 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    We can't use pansies in our front tubs because the deer eat them but we do and have done for years now put in red pink and white mini cyclamen which are tough little blighters and give a really colourful display and look 'christmassy' too. The deer leave these alone thank goodness!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Just realised that I didn't thank you for your suggestion MrsLW. I have the hederifolium ones in a 'woody' bit of my garden and they're spreading nicely I'll look out for some of the more colourful ones. Great idea thanks.
    • babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 19th Sep 17, 11:46 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 2,385 Thanks
    babyblooz
    Thanks Pooky and Eenymeany, for the advice re the slow cooker options. I think I might just go with my usual 3.5 litre size. My brain is frazzled enough at the moment without trying to get to grips with new equipment. I like to do rice pud, bolognese and cook chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and that kind of pop it in and leave it stuff and I sometimes do a whole chicken so I do know that I will use that size, I just wondered if it might be worth getting the bigger one.

I might just drop on a bigger one from a carboot or table top sale in which case I would deffo give it a go!
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 20th Sep 17, 8:51 AM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 6,204 Thanks
    tori.k
    Well looks like we are going to be in this drafty she'd for another winter, I lit the wood burner for the first time yesterday just kept it ticking over on low to start putting some heat into the walls, with such a wet summer they haven't really heated up very well this year, so the humidity is quite high in the house, hopefully will drop once the walls heat up. Having a dilemma over bedding I'm at that time in life, so sleeping better with the just the 4.5 duvet but it's leaving me stiffer than normal in the colder mornings, did add a wool blanket but have yet to wake up with it still on the bed, so undecided if to stick on the thicker duvet and disturbed sleep and DH moaning that it's like trying to sleep next to a lava flow, or just put up with the morning discomfort for now.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,349Posts Today

7,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin