Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,348Posts
    • 17,793Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 94
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,693 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It definitely feels like Autumn here today. I had thought it was just chilly because it was early in the morning, but the sun has come out and it is still feels a bit nippy. I love this season.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • jim-jim
    • By jim-jim 9th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    jim-jim
    My winter preps are, buying a baavet rug. Not tried it yet.
    And i,m in the middle of having free insulation fitted in my attic curtesy of eon. It is room in a roof insusaltion, meaning our 1900,s terraced house has no loft. So really hard to insulate.
    I phoned eon and asked if they did anything now they had altered the criteria to qualify, meaning you don't have to be on benefits. You can now get help if your working .
    Anyone in that type of a house should give them a call or any of the suppliers.

X
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 26,152 Thanks
    Primrose
    I,m sure increasing roof insulation is a good thing. It keeps your house warmer for longer and with energy costs rising rapidly doing this is a good investment. We can,t insulate ourselves from falling temperatures outside but when a house is well insulated and drought free it certainly makes the most of the heating you're paying for.
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 9th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    Found our first conkers this evening...
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 11,129 Posts
    • 153,554 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Masses of hazel nuts and acorns down on the roads and footpaths yesterday all of them beautifully brown and ripened. Will make a point of walking to local Horse Chestnut trees this afternoon to see if there are conkers on the ground. The Sweet Chestnut trees round the village are shedding their prickly cases already and the nuts inside are glossy, shiny brown but too tiny to bother with except from one tree up on the Admirals Field and luckily He Who Knows walks Cookie dog there in the mornings so I'll ask him to collect some useable ones next time he goes. Really noticeable that the trees are showing yellowing leaves all round now and the lawns are dew covered on these chillier mornings I love this time of year!

We too have fallen conkers! I now have 4 nice shiny ones and some lovely fat brown acorns in my little rootwood bowl on the hearth. Wonderfully blustery day out there and walking by the river with the tide high and the waves bouncing in was a blowy but very enjoyable affair, Cookie has 'spaniels' ears and they kept blowing up on to the top of her head as we were buffeted by the breeze, so funny!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 10-09-2017 at 2:52 PM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 10th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    we have put our electric blanket back on the bed today, it feels like i'v just taken it off
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 11th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 6,429 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    We have a large beech tree at the bottom of our garden which litters our grass with beechnuts. I've gathered a big tomato box full of them and have put them in the shed to dry off. They're also still looking a bit green in places. I wondered if anyone had some ideas to use them, maybe for Autumn or Winter decoration or gifts?
    (I already have lots of pine cones as I'm a great Autumn fan! )
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 11th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Distinctly cooler here. Had to put the little heater on in DS bedroom last night as it wad showing 19°c at 7pm and would have dropped further in the middle of the night.

Had his party in the garden yesterday. Overcast and cool but dry until we packed it all up just after 4pm thankfully!!!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 26,152 Thanks
    Primrose
    Made a pan of minestrone soup from home made vegs - just chopped the harder veg roughly. Mindful of rising gas prices and the fact that soup for the freezer always gets whizzed with a stick blender so I can store it in plastic milk bottles I will remember to grate or chop everything very small in future. It will use less fuel to cook everything. Every little helps as they say!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 5:43 AM
    • 11,310 Posts
    • 64,078 Thanks
    kittie
    I am going to have to upgrade my on-bed bedding, woke up cool and too early, cotton blanket will be off and I will be putting my welsh wool one on with a smaller one at the foot.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 13th Sep 17, 6:31 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 9,619 Thanks
    shanks77
    Distinctly cooler here. Had to put the little heater on in DS bedroom last night as it wad showing 19°c at 7pm and would have dropped further in the middle of the night.

Had his party in the garden yesterday. Overcast and cool but dry until we packed it all up just after 4pm thankfully!!!
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    19?!!!!!!! That is a scorcher of a day in Scotland would be looking for a fan to cool down lol
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 8:13 AM
    • 11,310 Posts
    • 64,078 Thanks
    kittie
    wool. so much lighter and much warmer. Those vac bags are useful for storage but don`t half squash wool, when the vac was released, it was as though the blankets breathed a sigh of relief. They are on the bed now and those colourful blankets already look so cosy. I`ll be going up at 9 again tonight, I am enjoying being in bed and watching something on prime on the tv
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,693 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I woke up feeling cold this morning! It was about 4.30 and the wind sounded really loud outside. I only had a blanket last night so I think I will add an extra blanket as well as the satin cover too tonight. It doesn't feel cold enough to have a duvet yet to me.

I probably have said this before but my husband and I have separate bedrooms at the moment as I am on medication to try to improve my sleep. He did put the king size winter duvet on his bed yesterday so it must be feeling colder.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 11:02 AM
    • 11,310 Posts
    • 64,078 Thanks
    kittie
    same time for me wednesday and same reasons, I couldn`t get back to sleep so got up. I`ll have to have an early lunch and a nap or I won`t survive the day
    • wannalot
    • By wannalot 14th Sep 17, 6:44 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    wannalot
    I live in a city, so I've never felt the need to make big preparations for the winter before, but this thread has inspired me!

I've stocked up on some grit for the path for icy mornings -my side of the street doesn't really get sun at the front in winter, so ice can stay for weeks unless you get rid of it!

In terms of food, I don't really need anything, as I am already a bargain-hunting food storer! If I had to, I'm sure the contents of my freezer and cupboards would last until next June!

The weather is changing noticeably here now. It's getting chillier and damper, so I've decided to make use of the few nice days we are having to do as much washing as possible and get it out on the line. I find line-dried things are much fresher than stuff bunged in the drier. I've washed a nice snuggly throw for the sofa, perfect for chilly nights at home, and I'm hoping for a good weekend so I can change the beds in my spare bedrooms. Neither room is used, but I'll feel better if the beds are freshened up.

I've also noticed that I tend to get a bit fed up in the winter months, so I have decided to have a proper clear-out this month in the hope that i'll be happier if the house is in a better state for me to hibernate in! Basically, I'm spending September having a good autumn clean, doing at least one room properly each week.

In financial terms, I'm also considering one big expense and one big moneysaver too. - i think I'm going to join the gym for the winter months, to get me out of the house and exercising, and I'm going to change my gas and electricity supplier. Hopefully the savings I make will pay for the gym!
    July GC: £76.28/£75
    Aims for 2017:
    1. Stick to GC targets!
    2. No buying of books until I read what I have!
    3. Declutter, declutter and declutter some more!
    4. Lose weight!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,693 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    same time for me wednesday and same reasons, I couldn`t get back to sleep so got up. I`ll have to have an early lunch and a nap or I won`t survive the day
    Originally posted by kittie
    Were you any warmer last night Kittie?

I put the extra bedding on last night, but I woke up about 3 and I had kicked it off during the night.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 11,310 Posts
    • 64,078 Thanks
    kittie
    yes I was warmer last night wednesday but the wool blankets are good because they regulate the body temperature better, synthetics would be too warm for me because my house is good at retaining heat. I do have cozee home sheets which are fantastic when the weather gets very cold but not now

I woke too early again and will be doing a few different things today and tonight, I get to sleep well enough but I wake around 3-4 am. I liked watching tv cosy in bed but will stop that for a few nights, strangely I only did it for three nights and each of those nights I woke early. I may have been hungry because I eat at 5 pm latest, a stick of celery with a little peanut butter at 9 should make a difference. I`ll try and get out on my bike for half an hour later, that will help the sleep/wake pattern. Then this evening I will do some gentle spinning (wool) by the light of a less bright lamp and some candles. I know that my body likes to be in harmony with nature and I have ignored that for a little while

I see that the temperature outside fell by quite a lot, I was expecting that, the ups and downs which are very much harder to adapt to for the older, small babies and the unwell
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 14,100 Posts
    • 131,642 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm all sorted for winter now, moved livingroom round a wee bit, got blinds and curtains all washed, flannelette sheets on, crockpot out of its wee home and up on the worktop. I hate autumn but love the long dark cosy nights of deep winter. Knitting like mad here too
    • babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 14th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 2,393 Thanks
    babyblooz
    Grandkids have come in from school raving about seeing an elderberry bush groaning with an abundance of the darkest biggest berries they have ever seen so off we went off and came back with the biggest carrier bag stuffed full of stalks and berries! We intend going back and getting some more over the weekend. Some will be made into syrup and hopefully some will be made into wine.

I am worried about the coming winter after hearing about how the health professionals are warning about their worries about the coming winter being particularly bad in terms of viruses and bugs etc. The last of the elderberry syrup from last year was donated to an 84 year old friend who is currently recovering from a chest infection. She is a retired nurse and says it has shortened the duration of her infection so that is good enough for me. My mum and dad are both 84 and dad has breathing problems among a host of other issues, so this winter will be a real worry for us.
    please play nicely children !
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 14,100 Posts
    • 131,642 Thanks
    mardatha
    Elderberries make a fabulous cold/flu medicine. My dad used to make it because I always had flu or bronchitis or something. Re prepping for winter I just get shopping online and if I have to hit the shops for anything I go first thing when it's very empty. And buy lots of handwash gel to keep in the car or bag. I wear a scarfy/cowly/shawly thing and discreetly lift it up over my nose if stuck behind a cougher on the bus!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

383Posts Today

3,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin