Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,325Posts
    • 17,733Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM
    Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 03-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 93
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 3rd Sep 17, 9:31 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    We have had a tent up in the garden all summer hols - coming down today.

roast dinner - first for ages already prepped. House having a deep clean tomorrow and then I will swap the cushion covers for more autumnal ones. Curtains will possibly taken down and changed - will check weather forecast first.

Might put the heating on for a test run - give lad lord plenty of time to fix if required.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 3rd Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 7,604 Posts
    • 25,591 Thanks
    Primrose
    Keeping garden table and chairs out for a little longer, hoping for an Indian Summer in September. Had breakfast out on the patio yesterday morning so it felt rather like the last of the Summer Wine. Distinctly chilly breeze this morning.
    • Thriftkitten
    • By Thriftkitten 3rd Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    Thriftkitten
    Good Morning Preppers, Tis a very dreary wet and soggy morning here in st Ives, Cornwall..
    I have already been soaked this morning trudging up to let the chickens out, however, the look of sheer delight when they saw I had some left over chopped up spaghetti from last nights spag bol made it almost worth it.....
    I am off to work this morning, down to our little Fudge Shop, I'm not quite sure if it will be stemming busy or just tourists bustling along looking for cafe's to take refuge in so I will be taking my 3/4 finished sock with me that I have been attempting for almost 2 weeks now... It's the Winwick pattern that someone suggested. I really loved this because never have I been able to follow a pattern of any kind and I must say, I've almost finished my 1st sock... Delighted is an understatement...
    I have also purchased the book, I know there is no need when the blog is available and f*cebook has their own page, but I feel that if I can pass this down to one of my children in years to come they will find as much joy as I have at being able to crack this sock knitting lark that has sent chills down my spine for many years... I wish I was able to show you all a photo, but i don't remember how to upload pics on here, however, if you are on the winwick F*acebook page my name is lisa see and my proud 3/4 covered foot is available for approval this morning
    I have managed to completely overhaul the airing cupboard and sort all the fleecy sheets and pillow cases ready for cosy nights ahead...sofa blankets have been dug out, washed and ready to provide their service for the year and I am eyeing up any old knitted garments thinking about how thrifty I could be by pulling the yarn out and making something new... I'm even surpassing my own expectations of thriftiness this year....
    The rain is coming down in buckets here and although I'd rather cozy up on the sofa watching my gardening programs and knitting more, I must get ready for round 2 of getting soaked as the fudge lovers are calling.... Happy Sunday Preppers may your day be full of crispy roasties and ballooned yorkshire puddings
    Last edited by Thriftkitten; 03-09-2017 at 9:43 AM.
    Thriftkitten

Tesco saving stamps £13.00

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p
    August 2014
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 151,196 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Our garden furniture is all brushed down and ready to go back into the shed, it seems early but the garden is already looking like autumn, falling leaves all round the village in drifts and 'tree fruits' like acorns and pine cones down on the lanes in drifts. September really does seem like a turning point in the calendar almost to the first day as it had a very different feel to it all on September the 1st this year.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 3rd Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 18,712 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Well yesterday was spent clearing the front garden - it now looks heaps better now and nice and clear so I think that has had a lot to do with my mood. I always feel a bit 'meh' when the BER months start as much as I love them - but I think with the house being upside down from the school holidays it is now regaining some normality now that I have blitzed it a bit. The bathroom, kitchen and living room are all clear, the hallway is tidy and now the front garden has all its recycling lined up and its de-weeded and swept and I began tackling the back garden yesterday and got most of the grass cut and any rubbish / debris picked up. I was hoping to tackle the bind weed but the weather is rubbish today. I might wait until the colder weather and then use that as one of my warming exploits.

Inside though I have a few bits to get listed on local selling pages that the kids have outgrown - realise my son needs a new jacket since he has outgrown his and the kids have put in requests for gloves, hats etc....I have dug out my scarfs and snoods so they are currently washing.

Im scouring the interweb for some pretty blankets - I dont want them too festive but Id like to be able to keep them on until and over Xmas :-)

Trifle is made - well jelly is setting and custard is cooling, will make a start on dinner at 3pm, hubby is home at 4 today so it will be cooked for 5 :-) roast chicken, stuffing, roasties, yorkshire puds, veg and gravy. not to shabby but haven't made a roast in ages and just thinking that my oven isn't all that big. Might even make the stuffing into balls and then freeze them ready for Xmas.
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
    Working on a Credit Rating!
    • skogar
    • By skogar 3rd Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    skogar
    Lovely to hear of everyone's winter preparations. Yesterday we went picking hedgerow fruit. Need to have a count up of jars and check how much jam we can make as I think the no of jars will be the limiting factor as usual.
    • peedie
    • By peedie 3rd Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    peedie
    Goodness how the weather is changing.
    I noticed today how the leaves are beginning to fall already and the evenings are starting to draw in.
    I'm sitting here still with all the windows and backdoor open, though I do have a cardy on. There is a nip in the air today. I do so hate not feeling able to change the air in the house. I'm out as work all day and in the winter with the doors and windows closed it feels though I'v breathed the same air 3 times.

Had a bit a a busy day today, jumpers down from the loft, the thicker duet aired on the line. Bach cooking chicken curry and a bean and tomato casserole to be portioned up for the freezer. As long as I remember to take them out of the freezer in the mornings, its lovely to come home to a hot meal I can just blast in the microwave when its dark and cold outside. Love it.

Candles and matches located. I do love a candle or 2 through the long evenings.

The prep for the coming months in underway here. Mind the way time seems to be going so fast it will be here before we know it.
    • babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 3rd Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    babyblooz
    It's definitely colder here in Yorkshire today! My summer bedding plants are looking like they are on their last legs and will soon be ready for the bin. I will be sad to see them go as they looked so very cheery!

I do feel a bit chilly today, even inside with a thin jumper on. Rooting around in the cupboard today I found my last bottle of elderberry syrup so may take some of that later on. It definitely warms me up from the inside and is supposed to be anti-viral so hopefully it will make me feel a bit better.

Foodwise, I've been dry frying burgers and sausages for the last few weeks and draining the fat off into little pots to keep for adding to bits and bobs to make fat balls for out little birdy friends come the colder weather. We have been adopted by a robin, doves and wood pigeons as well as the usual visitors this year so I wouldn't want them to go hungry.

I have made strawberry jam already and have some blackberry prepped to make tonight. I also have four pounds of plums ripening up on the windowsill so they will be jam before long. Then I must get out in the next few days and pick some elderberries but as I put them in the freezer for a few days before I prep them (it's easier when they are frozen) I need to make some space first. I have managed to squirrel away some of my husbands favourite seeded loaves for ten pence each so it might have to be toast at every meal for the next few days, just so I can make some space.

Oh and I emptied the potato bags last weekend and have now got some very nice red ones and lots of smaller whites. Not that big a lover of potatoes but I will be able to do something with them I suppose. If I use up all these goodies it saves spending so much in the shops and that leaves more money in the bank for the gas and electricity bills.

I have a large bag of apples collected from some spare ground but they are not that good as they don't soften up properly when cooked so not sure what they might be used for, but the horses are always happy to chomp on them so will be recycled one way or another.

Ooh and I managed to find some nice reduced Christmas cards in our local Barnardo's shop last week. They had 75% off so I picked up a couple of packs. Every little helps!
    please play nicely children !
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 4th Sep 17, 7:47 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    My husband looked at me slightly demented when I wrote disposable BBQs - we have an actual BBQ but no charcoal etc so I think Ill grab whatever is cheapest.
    Originally posted by sammy_kaye18

PLEASE be very very careful if using disposable BBQs or non-disposable ones, anything with charcoal.

Even AFTER it's been put out, charcoal gives off deadly fumes. When you read those awful stories of families dying in tents, they have often put the disposable bbq outside in the tent porch but the fumes seep through and kill them. You can close as many doors as you like but carbon monoxide will come through the smallest cracks. It produces the fumes whilst burning but also after it's gone out. Cooks passed out and died quite often in historical times when charcoal stoves were used in kitchens.

You can't smell it, you can't see it, you can't taste it. It kills.

If you must use a disposable bbq, you MUST use it outside in an open area, sorry for all the underlining and bold, but really - it's far too big a risk. The only way a disposable bbq would be safe would be to use it outside in the open which it doesn't sound like you're planning to do - even using it in a shed or empty garage could be deadly.

Really, ask your local fire station about using disposable bbqs indoors and watch their faces...

Charcoal is deadly.

BBQs kill if used indoors.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 4th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Sunday 3rd Sept really was properly autumnal - we even filled our 'stone pig' (19th century ceramic hot water bottle that can stay hot for ten hours (no, actually hot, not just tepid)) and wore our thick house-socks.

This morning is a season of mists so I'm taking my little pail for a walk to see if I can find any mellow fruitfulness! It's not only weather for my stripey slipover over my shirt, but for a cardigan and tam-o'shanter as well! Although I'm still wearing jeans rolled up to my knees and ankle socks with my boots

Damson and apple crumble tonight, with custard...
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 4th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 7,604 Posts
    • 25,591 Thanks
    Primrose
    Wise advice from Laura_Elsewhere. Better by far, if you need an emergency cooking facility, to buy a cheap canister gas one ring hob. These can be used indoors or outdoors and are much safer, as well as being suitable for repeated use. Lots of examples here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=camping+gas+case&!!!!!mh0a9-21&index=sports&hvadid=2979000885&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb &hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9r01zngg6i_b
    Last edited by Primrose; 04-09-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 151,196 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We have several alternative cooking facilities should there be need of them, we have a Kelly kettle which runs on twigs and newspaper from the garden, it is a double walled circular metal sleeve which you fill with water and then light a fire in the base which heats the water from the inside fairly quickly to boiling point, we have an OZPIG which is an outdoor woodstove for cooking on and the most useful is a FIRESPOUT which is a folding square stainless steel 'pocket' wood burner that runs on twigs, small branches, pine cones, in fact anything burnable you can lay your hands on, it has a couple of steel rods that turn it in to a pan support for cooking on and it is a very effective 'heater' for outside areas on cold days. It's extremely portable and weighs just over a kilo. Downside to all these is they can't be used indoors BUT upside is they don't cost anything to run in terms of fuel, they will all work on twigs, branches, etc. which you can forage for!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 4th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 974 Posts
    • 4,993 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm stocking up to buy some tins in my online shopping for my store cupboard. I have bought some tins of soup and sachets of soup (for when I'm too tired to make it fresh) and lots of tins of beans and chickpeas.

I'm determined to like porridge as it is supposed to be so healthy. I bought some chopped hazelnuts, bananas, apples and some tinned pears in juice to go on top. Not altogether obviously, haha.

I really felt the chill this morning as I woke up with a terrible leg cramp in my calf. Ouch, it's definitely time for me to switch to the winter PJ bottoms.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 11,044 Posts
    • 60,878 Thanks
    kittie
    I have camping gaz and little gas stove, kelly kettle and a tiny little metal box thing that folds up into nothing, it can use several fuels including the wood pellets that I use for my singing dancing, dependent on electricity, stove. Heating hot water would be fine and then pouring onto those dried instant meals that mrsLW wrote about. Candles will keep me warm as my house is eco, I have a few lanterns, one is extra extra tall, I bought it last year because I have very many dinner candles and I like them safe and enclosed. The lanterns are metal and have metal tops, so act like mini heaters

Main thing because I am sorted indoors, is not to have any outside jobs nagging at me. so I can enjoy the winter hibernation break. At the moment I am pulling, chopping, clearing whatever I can, whatever I notice. Today was putting chopped tomato plants into my hot enclosed compost bin, plus flowers that I cut back and suddenly areas looked airy and better, although not fully finished. In a couple of days I will use the period of dry to get the remaining outdoor vulnerable wood sprayed with preservative. This afternoon I will clean and pack away three solar water features

Tomorrow I may well don mask and gloves and go and do the communal area algae maintenance

For me anyway, outside is almost as important as inside stuff, if I leave it then outside will deteriorate too fast
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 4th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 19,317 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    Morning, it's a bit dreich up north, but surprisingly warm according to the thermometer. DH was away Fri/Sat night and the bed was SO COLD - he's my free HWB!! I had to wear actual clothing in bed for the first time in forever!!

Thriftkitten, I had a look at your socks on the Winwick fbk page (and commented ) - very good! I wanted to start making socks, too, that's why I joined, so will be sorting out wool and needles this week, ready for some spare time early next week.

One day this week I MUST pick elderberries and make MrsL's syrup to stash away, and the last of the brambles. Our plums were all ready at once when we went away last week, so gifted them to DS and DDiL, so they had lots of lovely puds.

As the littlies are not going to school, we have all the time in the world to winter prep our home and selves this year!

ETA: Also got plenty to do in the garden, but it rained last night (grrr), so it will have to wait until later today or tomorrow. If the top layer dries a bit, I can at least prune some stuff, and that will expose the underlying stuff to dry out.

A xo
    Last edited by Cheapskate; 04-09-2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added a bit
    CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)

Jan GC £27.05/£300
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 5,758 Posts
    • 87,547 Thanks
    fuddle
    We broke down many miles from home yesterday. It got me thinking about DH's winter car box and then, there it all was deboxed and neatly stored with the spare wheel under the boot liner. He's learning! This year I want to add thick socks, gloves and cup-a-soups with the intention of handing him a flask of hot water as he leaves in the am when it's particularly cold.

Re: nostalgia. I was born in 1979 and didn't know what it was like to do without really. My grandma was OS (a miner's wife with 3 children) but my ither grandma appeared quite pampered in comparison. That 'pampered' mentality along with expectation got me in into alot of trouble and the cause of some very hard times. I am the person I am today because of the rough stuff. Nostalgia, in my eyes, is about the journey. I don't look back at any of my easy days with any kind of, well anything, with but the hard days I put the rose tinted glases on and think about achievement, grit and all the things I've learned about self preservation. Nostalgia, for me, is character building.

As of tomorrow we're back on the school walk. I would like to make leaf mould for my new allotment so I'll take a bag daily and gather a few piles as they freshly drop and can see for dog mess!

DD and I have picked and filled the pine cone box in the wood store already but I do need to concentrate on the coal store.

The cupboards are 80% full now but I'm doing the same as you Lyn in that I'm adding just add water mixes. For now it's flavoured sachets of cous cous.
    Success.
    It's not always what you see.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Sep 17, 3:01 PM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 151,196 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It feels much colder today now we've had the rain, the breeze has an edge to it and I'm actually thinking of lighting the stove if it gets much cooler. At the moment I'm off upstairs to put on a warmer jumper though!

• Frith
    • By Frith 8th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 4,187 Posts
    • 39,080 Thanks
    Frith
    Considering lighting the stove tonight! Older son's shift at the pub has been cancelled so we've discussed a first lighting and some extended tv watching.

It's a Morso Squirrel, for fellow stove enthusiasts! Got a nice le Creuset kettle to boil on it (tk max)
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 11,044 Posts
    • 60,878 Thanks
    kittie
    too right fuddle, it is the hard part of our journey that gives us the most learning. I have also bought some water mixes for winter and a few tins of soup and a pack of rice vermicelli to make a meal of the soup. That will do me, don`t need anything else. I have been doing masses of MK and sorting because at last I have focussed on the fact that I will be moving, I need to do it now, while I have energy, to my last and forever home. I have put my winter kit to the fore in the garage and my de-icers are ready and I have enough bags of pellets for the stove. I hope to get through candles before I turn the stove on, I have far too many

My son bought a morso stove, I haven`t seen it yet, he is delighted with it
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 151,196 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Distinctly autumnal feeling to this morning, very dewy lawns, brusque little breeze and that overall 'ripe' smell that heralds the end of summer outside. We're getting lots of apples dropped onto the lawn most days from the big old tree and I made a good batch of apple puree yesterday which is puddings (and breakfasts for He Who Knows) for the next few days. The beans in the garden have gone berserk while I've been Grandson sitting and I shall have to go and do a massive pick and freeze them, not my favourite as they don't taste the same as fresh but the only way to save the crop. We have some good beetroot in the polytunnel too so today I'll cook them and pop them into vinegar in jars for me for the winter, love pickled beetroot (I know I'm sad!). We needed an extra blanket on the bed last night too....winter draws on!!!!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,830Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin