Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,192Posts
    • 17,298Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM
    Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 03-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 80
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 25th Jan 17, 6:29 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    It's been regularly dropping to 0c overnight outside here and we've found that having the heating off by 10pm and on by 6am isn't cutting it. It gets cold enough by 3-4am that the baby was waking up with it. We did try him with different layers and fleece sleep suit etc but I wasn't happy with it and DsS's bedroom has an external vent we can't block and his room was freezing and waking him up which with his medical issues, isn't good.

So we now have it set to just stay in and maintain 19-20c all the time. Downstairs is pretty open plan so I also use the fan heater a bit if I'm in all day with the baby.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: 16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: 13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Coffeebean
    • By Coffeebean 25th Jan 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Coffeebean
    lucy We are considering the same thing. Just got our smart meter so am hoping to compare the difference of keeping our heating on low then upping it when we need it compared to having it on for a 5 hours in the evening but waking to Arctic conditions in the morning.
    We are hoping to have a little one this year so really want to get heating sorted before it arrives (only moved in recently so still getting to grips with new boiler etc)

Our hallway has no radiator and it is FREEZING in there and up to the landing. Do you think a door curtain will help? We have a decent pvc door so I'm surprised how bad it is. Or is it worth getting a small oil filled radiator?
    Tia! X
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 27th Jan 17, 9:59 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    lucy We are considering the same thing. Just got our smart meter so am hoping to compare the difference of keeping our heating on low then upping it when we need it compared to having it on for a 5 hours in the evening but waking to Arctic conditions in the morning.
    We are hoping to have a little one this year so really want to get heating sorted before it arrives (only moved in recently so still getting to grips with new boiler etc)

Our hallway has no radiator and it is FREEZING in there and up to the landing. Do you think a door curtain will help? We have a decent pvc door so I'm surprised how bad it is. Or is it worth getting a small oil filled radiator?
    Tia! X
    Originally posted by Coffeebean
    Our hall has a decent radiator, which helps but the downstairs is open so the child gates fit and so the dog can see us in the lounge from the kitchen and doesn't think she's been shut out. Also our bathroom is downstairs off the kitchen so we go through both doorways during the night etc. Inc DsS who is ten and we're lucky if he remembers to flush the loo in the night so not sure how he'd cope with curtains as well as they'd also block the light from the bathroom.

That's just our house though. Might work elsewhere xxx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: 16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: 13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 14th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 6,259 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Just wanted to say how grateful I am that I had followed many of the hints and tips found on this thread when we had visitors last week.
    Within a couple of days of arrival one of them succumbed to an awful bout of flu' ( I notice this happening quite a lot these days, especially when people have travelled by air) They retired to bed for 3 days, followed by OH and eventually myself for most of one day. Boy, was I glad that I had stocked up on flu remedies, paracetamol, fleeces, water bottles etc. Being poorly myself, I was also glad that I had a freezer stock of ready meals, soups etc as the last thing I wanted to do was prepare meals but had another, healthy, guest to think of!
    I always thought that I was overdoing it a bit with the prep but it just shows that you never can tell.
    Unfortunately, by the time they were starting to recover we had to take them back to the airport so didn't get to do much sightseeing or eating out so I suppose that was a bit moneysaving but such a shame. I've told them to come back in the summer when maybe we can be better hosts!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin