Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,269Posts
    • 17,583Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM
    Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 03-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 80
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 25th Jan 17, 6:29 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    It's been regularly dropping to 0°c overnight outside here and we've found that having the heating off by 10pm and on by 6am isn't cutting it. It gets cold enough by 3-4am that the baby was waking up with it. We did try him with different layers and fleece sleep suit etc but I wasn't happy with it and DsS's bedroom has an external vent we can't block and his room was freezing and waking him up which with his medical issues, isn't good.

So we now have it set to just stay in and maintain 19-20°c all the time. Downstairs is pretty open plan so I also use the fan heater a bit if I'm in all day with the baby.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Coffeebean
    • By Coffeebean 25th Jan 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Coffeebean
    lucy We are considering the same thing. Just got our smart meter so am hoping to compare the difference of keeping our heating on low then upping it when we need it compared to having it on for a 5 hours in the evening but waking to Arctic conditions in the morning.
    We are hoping to have a little one this year so really want to get heating sorted before it arrives (only moved in recently so still getting to grips with new boiler etc)

Our hallway has no radiator and it is FREEZING in there and up to the landing. Do you think a door curtain will help? We have a decent pvc door so I'm surprised how bad it is. Or is it worth getting a small oil filled radiator?
    Tia! X
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 27th Jan 17, 9:59 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    lucy We are considering the same thing. Just got our smart meter so am hoping to compare the difference of keeping our heating on low then upping it when we need it compared to having it on for a 5 hours in the evening but waking to Arctic conditions in the morning.
    We are hoping to have a little one this year so really want to get heating sorted before it arrives (only moved in recently so still getting to grips with new boiler etc)

Our hallway has no radiator and it is FREEZING in there and up to the landing. Do you think a door curtain will help? We have a decent pvc door so I'm surprised how bad it is. Or is it worth getting a small oil filled radiator?
    Tia! X
    Originally posted by Coffeebean
    Our hall has a decent radiator, which helps but the downstairs is open so the child gates fit and so the dog can see us in the lounge from the kitchen and doesn't think she's been shut out. Also our bathroom is downstairs off the kitchen so we go through both doorways during the night etc. Inc DsS who is ten and we're lucky if he remembers to flush the loo in the night so not sure how he'd cope with curtains as well as they'd also block the light from the bathroom.

That's just our house though. Might work elsewhere xxx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023

• Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 14th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 6,285 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Just wanted to say how grateful I am that I had followed many of the hints and tips found on this thread when we had visitors last week.
    Within a couple of days of arrival one of them succumbed to an awful bout of flu' ( I notice this happening quite a lot these days, especially when people have travelled by air) They retired to bed for 3 days, followed by OH and eventually myself for most of one day. Boy, was I glad that I had stocked up on flu remedies, paracetamol, fleeces, water bottles etc. Being poorly myself, I was also glad that I had a freezer stock of ready meals, soups etc as the last thing I wanted to do was prepare meals but had another, healthy, guest to think of!
    I always thought that I was overdoing it a bit with the prep but it just shows that you never can tell.
    Unfortunately, by the time they were starting to recover we had to take them back to the airport so didn't get to do much sightseeing or eating out so I suppose that was a bit moneysaving but such a shame. I've told them to come back in the summer when maybe we can be better hosts!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 19th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 6,285 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Hmmm... Looks like I finished this thread with my last post, sorry, was it something I said?
    I know that it's far too soon to be thinking about next winter but I just thought this morning that this lovely weather we're having at the moment is an ideal time to be washing and drying those 'heavy things' like pillows, quilts, rugs etc.
    I'll close the door quietly as I tiptoe my way out.... Make the most of this sunshine everyone
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 19th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 12,734 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Im glad im not the only one. I was planning on washing my heavy curtains tonight. I plan to be organised by this winter.
    Debts as of 08/07/17 Credit cards £7811 majority on 0%. Car loan £1500 my half. Mortgage £36272 remaining balance (10 yrs 2 mnths remaining - i think not). Emergency fund £500/500
    GAZELLE INTENSE AND GAINING TRACTION
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 19th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Well I've got winter clothes for DS for the next two years out of charity shops lol. He's nine months and we're about to start trying for our second baby so I wanted his stuff sorted for a while ahead so further funds can go on no.2 if it's a girl etc and it's less to worry about xx.

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 20th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Coo, that's excellent planning - good luck with the "new project"!

I'm not doing winter-preparation yet but it is in my mind, so it isn't just you three

A friend gave me some beautiful damson-jam coloured fine wool fabric she had bought to make a dress over 20 years ago and never cut out; she doesn't even have a sewing machine these days so has passed it on to me, complete with thread and lining fabric and buttons! So I'm planning a really nice, comfortable and warm wool skirt to keep me cosy. There's also a cardigan very slowly on its way!

We're on the last of the homemade preserves now, so in a few weeks' time I shall clear out the bit of shelving in the box-room that we call "the Larder" and sort out the good jam-jars and get things ready for August/Sept and filling up the Larder once again.

And I am also planning, in a fortnight after some appts, etc., are out of the way, to start systematically washing all our woollens. Being in a flat, we don't have anywhere to line-dry them, so I'll have to do them in very small batches and just hang 3 or 4 at a time from the window-rail to dry, on big wooden hangers that help them keep their shape. Socks I dry in the airing cupboard, draped artistically around the boiler! Then I'll check those over for darning.

It's a good feeling - in only a few days' time, the nights will start drawing in, hurrah!
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 20th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 6,982 Thanks
    Doveling
    Eenymeeny -The winter thread usually tails off in spring! Nothing you said

I'm getting our coal and logs stock in soon to get the summer prices
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • rosie51
    • By rosie51 20th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 991 Thanks
    rosie51
    Made a load of jam out of seasonal fruit that will see us through until spring,
    Making a quilt for our double bed for the winter, made one every year for the last three years. Just pile them on as weather gets colder.
    We live in a rural area, so usually start to stock pile a few bits that will keep us going should we have a bad winter. Long life soya milk, loo rolls and bread flour are top of the list.
    No money, no worry. I am alive and that is all that matters

2017 Makes from stash
    7/100
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 20th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 86,164 Thanks
    fuddle
    Ah y'all great minds think alike. I've just washed the brush from staining the wood store and thought to sit down to find the winter prep thread but you beat me to it.

So yes the freebie scavenged/accumulated over months/someone's old fence (except for the feathered edge for the roof as we had to buy that) is complete and stained ready for the weather to hit it.

All wood work in the yard has been stained and is weatherproof.

The wood store is half full with MIL's overhanging branch cuttings but is not yet seasoned. There's more to come but I will have to pile that under tarpaulin (as can't bare to not accept wood) when it arrives because I need seasoned, usable wood at the top.

I have made a start on back up/very cold days supply of coal and will continue in the coming months.

My plan is to get the stock and keep it topped up by using then immediately replacing because the stock is for peace of mind should we hit on difficult/hard times.

My food stocks are low as I've been shopping daily and carrying/transporting in my trolley but I have come to the decision to make on online grocery order next week to get back ahead of the game in time for winter.

I've been crocheting squares to stitch into a dressing gown to donate to Knit for Peace. They give the finished pieces to folk who find themselves in fuel poverty. Keep Britain Warm if you're interested in helping with the project.

• LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 20th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    Funnily enough, I dropped winter coat into dry cleaners this morning, spent a bit of time last night sorting hats, gloves etc - too hot to sleep!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 22nd Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 86,164 Thanks
    fuddle
    Youngest DD and I put the wood off cuts from the wood store to some use by making a box to house the pine cones that we had collected. Why are we collecting pine cones? They're natures kindling

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    • 14,910 Posts
    • 120,690 Thanks
    JackieO
    Funnily enough, I dropped winter coat into dry cleaners this morning, spent a bit of time last night sorting hats, gloves etc - too hot to sleep!
    Originally posted by LadyhavershamLost
    Great minds think alike my DDs and my own winter coats were put into the dry cleaners on saturday and I got them yesterday our local chap does a special offer deal for two coats at once, instead of £9.99 each he will do two for £16.00 well worth having them done
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • rosie51
    • By rosie51 22nd Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 991 Thanks
    rosie51
    Youngest DD and I put the wood off cuts from the wood store to some use by making a box to house the pine cones that we had collected. Why are we collecting pine cones? They're natures kindling
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Until 7 years ago we live in a cottage 3 miles from our nearest neighbor, we were encircled by woods.We went out collecting cones and wood when ever we took our dogs out. Such was my passion for collecting wood it was a kind of hobby i would make DH stop the car if i saw wood on the side of the road.
    Many times we have come back fro our holidays with cases and dogs on back seat and the boot full of wood.
    Alas now we are in a bungalow that has gas heating. Still can't resist collecting cones by the carrier bag full, such happy days.
    No money, no worry. I am alive and that is all that matters

2017 Makes from stash
    7/100
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 10,612 Posts
    • 147,709 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    He Who Knows has just processed half a large old cherry tree that a neighbour up the road had come down in a storm. Our wood store of large builders crates is choc-a-block full and we have enough processed wood to last us around 3 years, it's a nice feeling. Jam making season has begun too, currently this year 10 jars of Rhubarb and Ginger and 10 jars of Strawberry and redcurrant more to follow as the fruit ripens. 4 kilos of gooseberries in the freezer and another at least 3 (Haven't weighed them yet) kilos to top and tail this evening to join them, I kilo of loganberries frozen too and the raspberries are just beginning to ripen so raspberry jam and frozen fruit in the offing pretty soon. The blackberry bushes in the garden are covered with more flowers and embryonic fruit than ever before, the apple tree is loaded, the fig tree is loaded, going to be a good autumn I think. We've just got to the end of last years home made cider too and the equipment is ready to go for this years as it starts to be windfall time. I even tried on my new 'Down filled' Padded coat this morning, it fits perfectly so I'm going to be snug when it's cold, great stuff!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 22nd Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 86,164 Thanks
    fuddle
    Ah Lyn I'm so envious of all you can produce. One day

How does HWK process the wood Lyn? The reason I'm asking is the allotmenteers behind out house have offered us some tree they've chopped. It's in large.sections and DH is wondering how to cut it efficiently as possible. We're going to be tripping over wood in the yard but it's free fuel and we just can't say no.

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 10,612 Posts
    • 147,709 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    He has a 'work mate' bench which he uses to clamp the wood and if it's small enough diameter he uses a bow saw to cut it into lengths to fit the fire, if it's bigger but sawable he uses the 'Chop Saw' which is electric, if it's bigger than that can manage he has a petrol driven chain saw and if it's a big old trunk that the chain saw won't tackle he has some 'wood grenades' which are heavy duty metal wedges that he whacks into the middle of the big chunk and leaves and the wood gradually splits (with the help of the odd clout with the sledge hammer). If the cords of wood from that are too big (they are wedge shaped) he uses the big axe to split them to the right size. Hard work but worth it!

I did tell you you'd get wood obsessed when you got that wood stove, I can't refuse free wood either, and like Rosie 52 we have been known to come home with the dog (when he was here) on the back seat and the boot full of wood too, once you've got a stove you're wood hooked!!!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 22nd Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 86,164 Thanks
    fuddle
    ... until it arrives in the yard with the odd elderflower on it and I cry in despair!

Thank you. I think an electric saw will have to be sought. He's only got a wood saw and my dad's old hack saw. We're so not equipped for processing wood. Shame on me for not realising.

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd Jun 17, 5:02 PM
    • 10,612 Posts
    • 147,709 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We're old dogs petal and He Who Knows is a 'toolaholic'!!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,071Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin