Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,154Posts
    • 17,136Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM
    Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 03-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 67
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 13th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    Thanks for all the info on condensation on the windows. Nothing today, but keeping an eye on the situation. If it continues, I will look at purchasing a dehumifidier.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    Never too early to plan ahead for Christmas 2016!!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 10,595 Posts
    • 135,500 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's feeling decidedly cooler here today and when the wind picks up I've been aware of leaves blowing down off the trees in large numbers. We haven't lit the wood stove yet but we do have logs, kindling and paper logs in ready to go when we do get to feel too cold in the evenings. Still running with the summer quilts in though and haven't used the fleece throws on the back of the sofa but I feel the time is getting close!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 13th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 7,555 Thanks
    Living proof
    Having just come back from SW France after a couple of weeks of glorious weather I must now prepare myself psychologically for a cooler, duller climate. It is much darker later in the mornings and earlier in the evening and I feel rather constrained by it all. Once the clocks change later in the month I will feel a bit isolated as I work at home and only really go out and about at weekends. I haven't really felt cold yet, so that's a bonus.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 10,595 Posts
    • 135,500 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I have just laid the fire in the stove, haven't lit it yet but we have rain for the first time in ages and we can feel the temperature falling. Staying warm watching the recorded Wasps vs Zebre rugby match but I think we'll light up later in the evening, must be autumn!!!

We lit up at 6.30 and the lounge is now beautifully toasty warm, unfortunately I am typing this in the study which isn't!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 15-10-2016 at 7:52 PM.

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 15th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 1,929 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    DH has laid patio, had the old greenhouse dismantled and removed and today has been treating/painting the shed. Garden now looking a huge mess but it will ask come right in the end.

Crazy place we bought. DH found a 2ft deep cellar under the greenhouse base as well....
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 15th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    It was my birthday at the end of September, so I used the money my mum sent me to buy a 5 foot bolster pillow for my bed. And the difference it's made to my coziness in bed is amazing. It somehow makes the bed a lot warmer, probably because it's forcing me to lie in a smaller area, so concentrating the heat!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 16th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 3,378 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Got the electric blanket on and been using my slanket on a night as its definitely getting chilli - had the heating on a bit too for the kids to keep the chill off on a night too.
    £2 Savers club
    Money Saving Mission 2016
    • babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 16th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    babyblooz
    If you want to feel cosy try brushed cotton sheets, you won't go back!
    please play nicely children !
    • mancbird
    • By mancbird 17th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    mancbird
    Just joining this thread We are moving from south Devon to Scotland shortly so looking for ideas
    Mammy to 2 boys aged 5 and 2
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 10,595 Posts
    • 135,500 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thermal undies, good quality wellies, a good set of waterproofs, midge repellent and developing a taste (if you don't have one already that is) for decent 'real' whisky to offset the inclement weather! Porridge with salt too, which I prefer to sweetened but comes as a surprise if you're not used to it. Good Luck with your move, I'm envious as Scotland is such a beautiful country!

Spelling corrected Living Proof, confessing ignorance of both the spelling and not knowing of the 'e' difference, now enlightened!!! Thank you!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 17-10-2016 at 3:23 PM.

• Living proof
    • By Living proof 17th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 7,555 Thanks
    Living proof
    Thermal undies, good quality wellies, a good set of waterproofs, midge repellent and developing a taste (if you don't have one already that is) for decent 'real' whiskey to offset the inclement weather! Porridge with salt too, which I prefer to sweetened but comes as a surprise if you're not used to it. Good Luck with your move, I'm envious as Scotland is such a beautiful country!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Whisky in Scotland, whiskey in Ireland!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 17th Oct 16, 2:17 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Whisky in Scotland, whiskey in Ireland!
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Yes, that!

Scotch Whisky is far lovelier! I'm quite jealous, whatever! I love Scotland....it would suit me and my hot flushes! x
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 13,292 Posts
    • 122,674 Thanks
    mardatha
    Best country on this earth to live! - but maybe I'm a wee bit biased Mancbird remember that council offices and many many other official and unofficial bodies close on Xmas eve and don't reopen until the 3rd Jan. And I think you're going to feel COLD! - bring real wooly woolies lol
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 17th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Best country on this earth to live! - but maybe I'm a wee bit biased Mancbird remember that council offices and many many other official and unofficial bodies close on Xmas eve and don't reopen until the 3rd Jan. And I think you're going to feel COLD! - bring real wooly woolies lol
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I've been a few times. Love it there. The most noticeable thing each time was driving home...Southwards, obviously...and seeing the cloud of smog coating England. Frightening! x
    • alice-mary
    • By alice-mary 17th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    alice-mary
    Hi Peeps,
    My chimney was swept on Saturday :-) and I already have this year's supply of fuel stacked up and ready to use! Now that the sweep has been, I want the changeable weather to just make its mind up and decide that we are in fact in Autumn and will soon be in Winter...it has been too warm, too often for my liking.
    I need to check on my food stocks but that will have to wait until next week (half term holiday)...I will also be baking my Christmas cake that week and making some fruit mincemeat (I hate mixed peel so shop bought has never been an option for me), that can be "fed" over the next couple of months.

Keep posting, I read every comment and learn lots from them all the time!

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000

Debts in Apr 2015:Loan £0 Sister £350
    Argos Card £0 C Card £1800 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000 Getting there......
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 17th Oct 16, 10:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    Requests for porridge for breakfast from my biggies = def chilly bike ride to school ahead!

We live in a rented house - GCH but a plastic roofed conservatory at the back of the living room. Issue is it is only separated from living room by a set of ( lovely thermal ) curtains. It is blooming freezing in the morning.

Question is - would an oil filled radiator be any use? If so what spec do i need? Prob only have a budget of £40....
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 18th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    I would love to live in Scotland. Who knows, maybe one day. For now, it's London for us.

The dehumidifier recommended to me has come back in stock, so I think I may purchase it. We do dry some clothing inside in the winter, so it's probably a good investment with this older house. I've only seen a little condensation on the windows in the last few days, but the temps have been milder, so not sure if that's part of it. Better safe than sorry.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    Never too early to plan ahead for Christmas 2016!!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    • 10,595 Posts
    • 135,500 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It 's time to change my 2.5 tog quilt for the woollen one I think as I woke up chilly in the night even with a fleece throw on top of it. Not bad going for half past October though is it? So far we've only lit the stove once when it was damp cold here this year but it's set and ready and I think will be in regular use quite soon now. The food I'm cooking is changing slightly too and we're wanting old fashioned warming dishes rather than the lighter summery foods. All part of natures plan I guess!

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Oct 16, 8:43 AM
    • 10,595 Posts
    • 135,500 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well thank goodness for woollen quilts, I had a much better nights sleep last night than I have for weeks and feel so much more 'pingy' today. We lit the stove again last night too and the lounge is comfortably warm this morning instead of being just on the cool side.

• juliettet
    • By juliettet 20th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    juliettet
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I moved here 25 years ago. Warm clothes are a must. People are lovely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter