Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,154Posts
    • 17,136Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM
    Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 03-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 65
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 4th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    New place, new list for winter prep. I've popped on the heater once or twice - first to check and make sure all the radiators were working properly before it gets cold! Today just to take the chill off. We're in London, and it's not that cold tonight (16 outside, so likely a good 20-22 inside) but I've got a bit of a cold and feel chilly.

So much less room for stocking up for winter, so I'm having to really think about what's important and what isn't.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    Never too early to plan ahead for Christmas 2016!!
    • gazapc
    • By gazapc 4th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    gazapc
    Thanks I try to leave the Windows locked open a crack but DH hates it and closes them! It's mostly the bedroom - the little things of salt are useless too! Think I'll just have to wipe them down and open the windows when we get up!
    Originally posted by Tink_04
    You either need to reduce the amount of water in the air so use extractor fans for bathrooms, don't dry washing or towels inside etc... Or change the damp air to dry air. You can do this either with ventilation or a dehumidifier. The salt dehumidifiers are rubbish, an electric one will potentially draw out litres per day, a salt one will not do anything near that.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 4th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 11,537 Posts
    • 208,205 Thanks
    greenbee
    Thanks I try to leave the Windows locked open a crack but DH hates it and closes them! It's mostly the bedroom - the little things of salt are useless too! Think I'll just have to wipe them down and open the windows when we get up!
    You either need to reduce the amount of water in the air so use extractor fans for bathrooms, don't dry washing or towels inside etc... Or change the damp air to dry air. You can do this either with ventilation or a dehumidifier. The salt dehumidifiers are rubbish, an electric one will potentially draw out litres per day, a salt one will not do anything near that.
    Originally posted by gazapc
    Or stop your DH breathing out during the night
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 4th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Had heating on yesterday morning. Established that the rad in DsS room and the new one in the bathroom aren't working. DH will look into it.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 5th Oct 16, 12:24 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 3,378 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Got a chilli in the sc today - bright and breezy here in the NE - still keeping the heating off although it is getting a bit colder on a night but good pjs and blankets are seeing the kids through!

Got someone coming to look at the boiler tonight as its been playing up and the HW has been going off mid shower, the the heating has not been clicking on properly so hoping that is not too expensive!

Having a little before xmas clear out which is good selling a few bits so keeping it all separate in an xmas purse to help buy new bits!
    £2 Savers club
    Money Saving Mission 2016
    • nicki
    • By nicki 6th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 7,233 Posts
    • 87,792 Thanks
    nicki
    We've had the heating on a couple of times (manually, trying to hold off switching on the timer) as it's getting a little too chilly here. I've also dug out the window vac and I'm doing the windows every morning as DD has decided to swap her daily showers to a night before bed because its chilly in the morning so the house is humid over night I've bought some workmens socks to wear inside my walking boots for when the weather gets worse. Now I just need to loose some weight/belly/b00bs so I can wear my waterproof coat and not look shrinkwrapped I also bought a tartan throw from Av0n and I'm going to have to buy another one as my daughter loves snuggling up under it of a night.

The other day we had a free sachet of nikswax waterproofing stuff put through our door Not sure who needs it using on what though atm but I'm not going to pass on a freebie
    Baby steps and organisation....
    Declutter 2016 in 2016 : 1534/2016 (Actually left the house!)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 10,593 Posts
    • 135,461 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We went out for our supper last night, table booked at 7.30 and it was chilly enough that I went up and got my padded winter coat from storage to wear while we walked to the pub and was glad of it too. Warmer today so I've just walked the couple of miles to the shopping centre in a long sleaved top and a gilet and been comfortable. Forecast is for it to be cooler over the weekend so throws will be got out of the blanket chest and folded at the foot of the bed in case they're needed.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    There is a definite chill in the air today. I just had a delicious bowl of homemade soup for lunch. Two bowls actually.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 6th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    babyblooz
    Haha that's just what I've got bubbling away in the slow cooker right now but it's going into the freezer for the colder months, or I often use it as a base for some nice gravy when we are having Yorkshire Puds.
    please play nicely children !
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 6th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    We're already needing a small blast of the heating each day to take the chill off, and I'm wondering how scary the gas/electric is going to be this winter with floorboards (and some area rugs) and high ceilings.
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 6th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    The windows were wet with condensation this morning and it was noticeably colder early on but then bright and sunny this afternoon!

I hate the Windows wet but have no idea how to stop it happening ? Any ideas anyone
    Hi Tink,

This actually works for a while. Wipe your windows down with undiluted washing up liquid. It dries clear. You might have to do it every week or so. I bought a dehumidifier last year, it's the best thing I've ever bought...apart from chocolate. x
    • Frith
    • By Frith 6th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 4,143 Posts
    • 34,698 Thanks
    Frith
    Had the stove lit 4 or 5 times so far (no other form of heating in the house except storage heaters too expensive to run).

My brother brought us about half a tonne of logs and there are branches on the allotment that have been drying out that we'll chop up. On a mild winter, we burn 2 tonnes. On the last cold winter (2010?) we burned 4...

Sons have new, watertight school shoes now. Wellies OK for a bit longer.

Have had the electrician in to fit a new switch for the shower and replace the extractor fan.

Still need to...

Get new/check hats, gloves and scarves.

Give the car its annual clean and change the oil
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 6th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    Replaced children's pyjamas that they've outgrown. Asda/George having sale right now 20% with NIGHT20 code, so took advantage of that. Now trying to figure out how to "warm up" the rooms better so we won't have to be running the heater constantly.
    Last edited by Pennydropped; 06-10-2016 at 8:06 PM.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 6th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 4,875 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Managed to avoid putting the heating on but I have lit the stove at night for about a week now. I find that half a small bucket of coal keeps it going until I go to bed when it goes onto a really slow burn. I then get the airer around it and it dries a load of washing overnight and by leaving the door to the kitchen open both rooms are still warm in the morning so I think it's pretty economical really.
    I changed the beds today as it was a good enough day to get it dry outside and have swapped the summer duvets for the winter goose down ones. I've also put my electric blanket on for a little bit and it was lovely when I hopped in for an early night with my new book. Perfect evening - I'm easily pleased
    There's great ideas on here. I'm going to have a catch up on the thread and see what I can learn.
    PP x
    Oct GC. £136.25/ £140
    Nov GC. £202.02/£160
    Dec.GC. £29.92/£200
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Oct 16, 8:10 AM
    • 10,593 Posts
    • 135,461 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Isn't it getting nippy in the mornings? and dark!!! here we are at 8.05am and it's still 'gloaming' outside but at least the middle of the day is still warm and golden most of the time so all is not bleak!

We picked the big old apple tree on the front lawn yesterday, we said last year that this would be it's last year if it didn't give us a harvest and all the way through the growing season it's looks sparse with apples. However when we picked yesterday we got a couple of boxes of large and largely unblemished fruit, the past few years it's had 'bitter pit' which makes the apples bitter and gives dark dots right through the flesh. So, having sorted out the ones that won't keep and used some and given some to friends and neighbours I have a large box of beautiful cookers which I'll wrap individually in newspaper today and hopefully they'll keep for a few months in the cool store room and give us many lovely appley puddings!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • nicki
    • By nicki 7th Oct 16, 8:53 AM
    • 7,233 Posts
    • 87,792 Thanks
    nicki
    I caved and put the heating on last night. Its only a temporary measure as DD was showering this morning at 6am, I need to shower this morning (just getting some cleaning jobs done first ) and the forecast is drizzle until 10am with a high of 15c. It'll be getting switched off again soon, but I think I'll accept that when the weather is damp it needs to go on.

I need to go and buy some large cup hooks today so I can fix the curtain rail above the front door and get the curtain up. It is the only errand I'm doing today except the grocery shopping tonight. My head is swimming with so many jobs to do its ridiculous. I definitely need a brain dumping session but then my mind goes blank. I'm glad I wrote my list out from here or we'd not get anywhere. Next winter job is demoulding the place. We've gone from none to loads suddenly in the hallway but it's a nasty job that makes me cough due to the smell and I'm bad enough as it is due to a fluey bug. DD can't do it, there's carpet and I can't risk her bleaching it!!
    Baby steps and organisation....
    Declutter 2016 in 2016 : 1534/2016 (Actually left the house!)
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 8th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    Dug out an older long thick lined curtain to use as a door curtain for our back door. Brilliant. Zero cost. Now I need to put up the fleece linings for the bedroom curtains.

Storage is a dilemma though. I have an oscillating fan that will need to be put away now for the season, and while I have an outside hard rubber plastic shed (one of those that you put patio chairs in, so about half height), I'm wondering if it's okay to put it out there. I was debating putting it in a couple bin bags, taping shut, and hoping for the best. It shouldn't get soaked, but I suppose those kind of sheds are a bit "damp" inside, aren't they?
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 8th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Dug out an older long thick lined curtain to use as a door curtain for our back door. Brilliant. Zero cost. Now I need to put up the fleece linings for the bedroom curtains.

Storage is a dilemma though. I have an oscillating fan that will need to be put away now for the season, and while I have an outside hard rubber plastic shed (one of those that you put patio chairs in, so about half height), I'm wondering if it's okay to put it out there. I was debating putting it in a couple bin bags, taping shut, and hoping for the best. It shouldn't get soaked, but I suppose those kind of sheds are a bit "damp" inside, aren't they?
    Originally posted by Pennydropped
    Hi Pennydropped,

It might be worth 'lining' your fan with newspaper or similar before covering in plastic. Just to let it breathe.
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 8th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    It might be worth 'lining' your fan with newspaper or similar before covering in plastic. Just to let it breathe.
    Thanks. That's a good idea. I'll try that.
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 9th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    Winter coats have been checked. Hats, gloves, scarves all checked, to be washed today so they're ready to go. Comforters sorted. Considering putting a heavy book on each child's head for awhile, as they keep getting taller, which means new trousers. A few more long sleeve shirts needed too. We generally just get a few plain ones, as they like to wear their long sleeved shirts under their favourite tshirts. I'll have to look at Poundland to see if they have slipper socks out yet, as we always pick up a few pair. Boots/wellies are sorted.

A few UHT milks added to shop, plus some minimal stocking up, as we just don't have the room for much.

Still popping the heating on for a brief time in the morning so far, to take the chill off.

I need to get moving and sell my car. It's an expense we don't need (or use).
    Last edited by Pennydropped; 09-10-2016 at 2:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

7,796Users online

Martin's Twitter