Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,147Posts
    • 17,085Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM
    Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Zorica; 03-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 60
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    • 5,244 Posts
    • 81,463 Thanks
    fuddle
    White?!

I've always fancied living at the back of beyond but white this time of year? I'm not made of Mar stuff, definitely not.

PS you get me don't you. Back of beyond isn't negative... My other phrase is 'Wilds of Wanny' and considering I don't know who Wanny' is, I thought it best to go with the first!
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
    What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise.
    Only a fool trips on what is behind them.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Sep 16, 1:15 PM
    • 13,089 Posts
    • 120,599 Thanks
    mardatha
    Frost pet lol not the other white stuff
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 21st Sep 16, 1:21 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    fuddle, " Wilds of Wanny" explained here http://www.wildsofwanney.co.uk/
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Sep 16, 1:47 PM
    • 10,290 Posts
    • 132,638 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We always say 'Out in the great Bundoo' for those places that are so far out you have to bring daylight in by pack mule and I don't know where the great bundoo is either!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 21st Sep 16, 2:38 PM
    • 4,799 Posts
    • 21,796 Thanks
    calicocat
    Hi folks,

I have been mia a while on os other than lurking.....

The first things i will do for winter prep will be sorting out the garden, which is needing tidying up, summer stuff put away, plants i want to try and overwinter sorted etc.

I havent looked at all the food i got last year for emergency ... will have to have a flipping good look at that. I have a feeling i probably have enough of some things to last years.....will be fun to see what i have though, and rotate as needed. It will be like going into a free shop....as i'm not sure other than basics what i got .... all good in the hood...

Ooo....also seed collecting from plants for next year. I have already dried the herbs for winter.

I will have to see if you can dry chives (i suspect not or they will lose flavour)....pity, as i have loads of them still. I will also see if they can be kept indoors over winter and might dig a clump up if thats the case.

I usually get the boiler etc serviced soon , so need to text plumber.

Check out i have spare fuses for fuse box, and amount of candles ( although udually have a huge stash of those anyway).

Torch is knackered....must have forgotten to charge it at right time....i'm not getting one of those type again, they never last with me.

Still have the solar lights from last year and working ok, the ones from ikea that if memory serves me correctly mrs.LW suggested.

Need to seriously look at freezer....but i always say this and never do, well not properly, it is a sticking point for me that one...

Ooo...and will get brakes checked out before long to see if need new pads, and tyres.

I think thats enough for now......got me tired just writing and thinking about it
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early..
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 21st Sep 16, 9:39 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile
    2 foggy mornings so far this week, I've seen a lot of cars with only one working headlight or one working back light!

So need to do a full light check for the car, plus check the oil and the water, MOT due in November so will get an oil change done at the same time and replace the windscreen wipers as they're a bit rubbish, and hopefully the car will survive the winter!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

House Deposit - £12132.18 | Furniture Fund - £488.36/£1000 Make £3 a Day in September - £15.24/£90 (2016 - £398.14) | Wombling - £47.08 | Wedding Fund: £1430.00/£4000
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 22nd Sep 16, 7:11 AM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 20,575 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Calicocat I dry chives and they taste lovely.
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 22nd Sep 16, 8:49 AM
    • 1,169 Posts
    • 14,376 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Cold here too Mar, wasn't up early enough to look for frost so shall ask youngest when he gets home from the fishing. We have heavy condensation on the windows though, and a hoar mist hovering just over the loch. Must replace my outside thermometer - I lost it in the recent gales :-) Beautiful day now!!
    • Gwendolyn
    • By Gwendolyn 22nd Sep 16, 9:41 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Gwendolyn
    I am slowly preparing myself for winter. It's a must in an old cottage when we're not even in the village.
    OH can service the oil boiler. He will also prepare the cars for winter by servicing and checking tyres etc. We also put "kits" in the back of the car - boots, spare socks, old clothes, gloves, hat, bottle of water and some snacks.
    I have invested in some thermals this year as I feel the cold. I managed to buy child age 16 which goes up to 5'8. They were much cheaper than adults. They arrived today and should fit me! I've also bought some for my eldest, passed his down to the middle child and from middle to youngest. (I buy a lot of boys stuff but my daughter doesn't mind!)
    I also need to get out the winter coats and check who will wear which one this year.
    I am in the process of sorting out my freezer (see my thread!) but also my cupboards. I'm stocking piling a few tins and powdered milk in case.

My next consideration is firewood. we have a woodburner but it doesn't make much odds in our house as it's in a room with 3 doorways and the wind whistles up through the floorboards! I might seal the gaps between the floorboards - most are covered with a rug.

We salvage what wood we can find and last winter burnt a load of broken chairs! This year I am looking at buying some but it seems very expensive. I don't know what the "going" rate is and whether its worth paying more for a certain type of log etc.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd Sep 16, 10:05 AM
    • 10,290 Posts
    • 132,638 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    £110 for a full lorry load of split and seasoned logs down here in south Hants, that translates into 20 piled high wheelbarrowfulls! We get 'logs' unspecified and have never had a problem with how they burn in the woodstove, one year we got some that weren't quite seasoned enough so we left them until the end of the burn season and by then they were dry and fine.

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 22nd Sep 16, 10:17 AM
    • 5,244 Posts
    • 81,463 Thanks
    fuddle
    Can tell it's pulling in autumnal here as the woodstoves are being lit left right and centre. Doesn't 'alf get on my chest but at least I moan about my chest now instead of that terrible feeling called envy because I have no woodstove

I do admit to it being beautifully sunny here now. It's that time of year when you are pleased with yourself because you put your 'big coat' on but then get to where you're going all lathered!

I am going to invest in some vests this year. As a little one my grandma would tell me to put my vest on so I didn't get cold in my chest. Given my chest has played up this summer I'm doing as I was told! Any truth in that i.e. a warm chest helps protect against chesty illness in the colder months?
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 22nd Sep 16, 10:24 AM
    • 9,042 Posts
    • 19,643 Thanks
    suki1964
    Eeeek,winter is upon us, the second frost of the season this morning

Plus I lit the stove yesterday

So winter prep, I must now start

I've run down both freezers so I can get them defrosted and then hit the poultry factory to stock up. Found a game pie in one that I bought ys from M&S Boxing Day last year Was so cheap I just couldn't resist, only neither of us are sure we will like it so it just get bypassed lol

Winter sheets ( flannel) all washed and ironed and aired, ready to go on the beds when needed. Still have the summer duvet but DH is complaining he's waking up cold.

Got to do an inventory of tinned stocks and fill gaps. We rely more on the tins then the freezer as power cuts are common

Have to clear out the 'greenhouse' to move delicate plants into. It's been used as a nursery coop for the chickens. They are now in with the big girls. Will also mean we have room to start seedlings later on

Not decided yet if I'm going to get smokeless in this year or to stick with logs. I've very few logs left and not a lot of smokeless because last year oil was so much cheaper I didn't get my normal deliveries. Dried logs are around £80 a trailer and smokeless is £18 a sack

Going to read back a few pages and see what else I need to be doing

Keep warm xx
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd Sep 16, 10:43 AM
    • 10,290 Posts
    • 132,638 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Best (and cheapest) ladies thermal vests I've found are in BON MARCHE, they did two styles last year, a thin strapped one and one more like a sleeveless top but both in creamy white colour. Definitely NOT a thing of beauty but they surely do keep you warm in the colder weather and as they are worn underneath other and prettier things they do the job they are designed for very well indeed.

• elona
    • By elona 22nd Sep 16, 11:12 AM
    • 10,388 Posts
    • 51,670 Thanks
    elona
    Now the boiler and other electrical items are working I feel much better prepared for winter. I have tealights, matches, lighters, candles, ikea solar lights and a kelly kettle as well as a gas hob in the kitchen that does not rely on electricity. There is a vacuum flask so I can keep water hot and I even found a kettle that can go on the hob.

I want to stock up on prescriptions so have ordered some online to pick up later and have a cupboard full of toilet rolls, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, shower gels and dish washer and laundry liquids as well as cleaning sprays. I even have hot water bottles.

Next time I go shopping I plan to stock up on tins of things like steak, meatballs etc as I already have tins of tomatoes and packs of pasta, noodles and rice.

I could also do with having onions, mushrooms, mixed peppers and stew veg in the freezer as they are so useful when I just want to throw something together quickly. DDs have been pushing me to consider online shopping so will have a browse round in a week or so.

Why is it that we only realise what we don't have when we suddenly don't have it? At least I have a small shop and post office just a street away but ideally I would like not to have to go out unless I actually want to.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Sep 16, 12:17 PM
    • 13,089 Posts
    • 120,599 Thanks
    mardatha
    Hot water bottles are an essential for me. Fuddle my dad always said your head and your feet need to be warm & dry in winter.
    • alice-mary
    • By alice-mary 22nd Sep 16, 6:18 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    alice-mary
    Hi All,
    I finally got around to booking my local chimney sweep, so that will be sorted and ready to use from the middle of October :-)

I recently changed jobs, to a more local position and my plan is to start walking there and back everyday, once I have moved all of my work stuff into my new classroom. This means that I really do need to check out my footwear, gloves, scarf, hat and winter coat. I have my yaktrax for when things are icy but I'm not sure if my boots are still leak-proof.

With luck, I will have reclaimed my living room soon, as I am gradually clearing all the boxes and bags out of the house...then I can make it all snug instead of cluttered.

Keep posting everybody, I always pick up tips or reminders while I am lurking!

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000

Debts in Apr 2015:Loan £0 Sister £350
    Argos Card £0 C Card £1800 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000 Getting there......
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 23rd Sep 16, 1:40 PM
    • 5,244 Posts
    • 81,463 Thanks
    fuddle
    Thanks Lyn for the Bon Marche tip and you too Mar for the hot water bottle (cannot find ours I don't know where I've put them ) but I have decided to make use of the few summer vests I have and use them as underwear.

I do need to replace the girls vests and add to DH's work thermals - building a stock year by year.

The salt has been found and is in its winter place for easy access for a treacherous front step - the downstairs loo!

The bag 'o winter woolies has also been found from the back of the cupboard ready to be sorted, washed and dried. I have decided we will all be responsible for our woolies in our wardrobes but I will need some extra gloves as youngest will go through many.

Still crocheting my bed blanket. It's an arduous affair but now the nights are drawing in I hope to get cracking.

All in all DH and I are sleeping a lot better now there's a bit of a chill at night.
    • Gwendolyn
    • By Gwendolyn 23rd Sep 16, 2:24 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Gwendolyn
    Yes Mardatha - hot water bottles. I am never without one - even today.

I do have an electric blanket but I don't think it's working brilliantly. Having said that it's an Intelli-heat one so I think it doesn't come on that high if it's already warm. I must check it out.

Alice-mary you have reminded me. I must get OH to sweep our chimneys - we have a full set of brushes. He does make a bit of mess mind but and his builder friend always seem to do a great job....often one gets on the roof and looks down! (Don't ask)
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 3:23 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    nanny beach
    Winter is NOT upon us, we have just stepped tentatively into Autumn, folks. Temp still in the 20s, no leaves turning. Boilers,electric blankets should have been serviced in the summer, and chimneys swept. in a lot of areas the Fire service will check your electric blanket for free. Miserable looking around the shops in July everything, black,grey,brown miserable, lets keep summer going. I have a looki liki Dimplex "wood burner" (no chimney) you can open the "fire" door, use just the flame effect, 2 settings fan heater, or it can be plumbed in to your "wet" central heating system, how clever is that.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 23rd Sep 16, 6:07 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Tink_04
    It's starting to get chilly here - the thicker part of the quilt has been sent to the laundrette as the summer quilt will be coming off soon - I'll send the summer part off when we change then can attach them together when it starts to get really cold.

Both kids got new winter quilts last year but not ready for them yet - got lots of flannelette sheets last year in the sale too so ok for them. Might need some new pjs but hoping they can wait till Xmas - they have plenty of slipper socks to keep feet warm and both have a fleece blanket for the car and a snugly blanket for the sofa.

My kitchen cupboard needs sorting - we have loads of some stuff but I'll make a list of any thing else we need and what to top up on - got a bit bag of tesco value porridge which DD loves on a morning so will get another on my next shop. Still trying to run down the freezer so not going to fill it up yet but will get a big butchers pack when I do which is about £30.

Bleached the house from top to bottom today and gave everything a good scrub out (DS has impetigo) washed all the bedding and towels - going to do the curtains next week. I know everyone has a spring clean but I like to have an Autumn one so everything is fresh before we have to have the windows closed and heating on - I have a thing about smells!

Going to make a batch of broth soon too, just been waiting for it to get a bit colder as I love it on a night when it's wet and chilly outside & the dark nights are here.

Car box is coming along nicely and just need to put it in the car when I remember!

Love winter preps
    £2 Savers club
    Money Saving Mission 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,088Posts Today

6,057Users online

Martin's Twitter