Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,852Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 106
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 14th Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    I haven't heard why elona but Asthma UK were running a scarf and warm air to breathe campaign last year and now do it as a precaution. It plays havoc with my glasses though - they fog up that's one problem in life I just can't find a solution for
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Breathing in cold air can raise your blood pressure and lead to a heart attack. Also, if possible, try INHALING through your nose to help warm the air which goes into your lungs and EXHALING through you mouth.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th Dec 17, 9:28 AM
    • 14,317 Posts
    • 134,239 Thanks
    mardatha
    After two weeks of sub zero temps we finally got some snow and things have heated up
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 11,589 Posts
    • 66,966 Thanks
    kittie
    Breathing in through a scarf is very much old school, cold air into lungs can cause bronchospasms and that can trigger asthma. All the older people went about with scarves over nose and mouth in those days, also protected against the awful air pollution. Cold can incite inflammation in the airways and it dries up essential mucus. Cold can cause arteries to constrict and that raises blood pressure. Anyone feeling chest pain in the cold should see a doctor

I am back on internet thank goodness, I missed you all. My massive stash of candles is working fantastically, really helping eke out the 10kg bags of pellets, I have to manhandle each bag of pellets, into the house then up and into the stove. At the moment I have two pillar candles in metal lanterns and you can feel good heat from them, plus two dinner candles in wee willie winkie holders, stearin candles not paraffin. Ooh that just gave me a flashback, going to the hardware shop with a can and them filling the can from a big smelly tank in the shop, then filling a lamp with a wick for light and a little warmth in the outside toilet
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Dec 17, 8:07 AM
    • 11,589 Posts
    • 66,966 Thanks
    kittie
    I have let my house temperature drop gradually, by a couple of degrees and my body has adapted I certainly don`t feel at all cold. Candles are working brilliantly and I am tending to just have a few candles on in the evenings, I do have a stash mountain so it might well be different if I had to buy them now, I only burn stearin candles. If there is sun in the day, then I know that I will not need the stove in the evening. It is the fact that my body has adapted so well that pleases me, adaptation is one of the signs of good health btw

My bed is warm, wool duvet and a welsh blanket on top with wool bedding protector and an electric underblanket, which I switch on for half an hour. I wake up warm, not hot and that warmth stays with me. No heating on again this morning, it won`t be needed and it is saving me from carrying loads of pellets. Naturally I will do things differently if we get sub zero outside temperatures again and no sun

Also I absolutely make sure to take my immune syrup every single day, it is made from elderberry, rosehip and blackcurrants. I also grow a lot of blackcurrants on the allotment and eat them every single day, often raw in cereal as they seem to sweeten after freezing. Also wonderful for eye health
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    • 11,589 Posts
    • 66,966 Thanks
    kittie
    A fading blood red sky in the west and great swathes of grey fluffy clouds, looking up to the field nehind my garden, bare apple trees in silhouette against that sky. It certainly looks like the bleak mid winter, not a breath of wind and not a speck of life, apart from 2 fat rams staring in

These winter preps have got to include entertainment and I have just been watching cracker, 2nd dvd, on my revitalised laptop, one that gave up on me. I took everything off it and took it offline, after the kiss of life . That only leaves my very important m/s money and my cd/dvd playing facility. Having kondoed the dvds the other day, I am slowly watching many others before removing. Cracker was too spread out on my tv screen but is perfect on the laptop with good screen resolution and I get to sit sideways on a very comfy sofa with a plump feather cushion behind me. I just have to forget about the cadburys fingers lurking in the next room. They are for christmas week
    • Thriftkitten
    • By Thriftkitten 7th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 6,015 Thanks
    Thriftkitten
    Good Morning Preppers
    Happy New Year, I hope all your prepping has paid off and you are all enjoying a snuggly warm winter.
    I have noticed that the threat hasn't been posted on for a while, is there a new thread that follows on for this, or is everyone hibernating?
    Thriftkitten

Tesco saving stamps £13.00

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p
    August 2014
    • alice-mary
    • By alice-mary 7th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    alice-mary
    I have noticed that the threat hasn't been posted on for a while, is there a new thread that follows on for this, or is everyone hibernating?
    Originally posted by Thriftkitten
    I was thinking the same thing too!
    I am all cosy at the moment but have been looking at the weather in the USA right now and wondering if any of it will head it's way over here to the UK...... now I LOVE the snow but oh my goodness, that looks horrendous!
    I have looked at different weather sites but I can't decipher the technical jargon so I guess I'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, I'll keep the stores (food, water and fuel) topped up and keep an eye on the forecast.

Stay warm and safe everybody,

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000

Debts in Apr 2017:Loan £0 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 C Card £1100 O/draft £1900 Mortgage £113,000 Getting there......
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 155,311 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Morning, we're not too bad down here in Hampshire this morning it's 2 deg out there but with the brusque wind it's more like -3 deg outside this morning. I know it's winter and cold when the first thing I do in the morning by way of housework is clear the wood burner of ashes and lay up todays fire ready to go before making the morning cuppa!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Jan 18, 8:35 AM
    • 14,317 Posts
    • 134,239 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've been looking at the pics of America too, looks really miserable that! We've still got frozen snow lying- not deep - and it's currently minus 3.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 7th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 18,989 Posts
    • 85,080 Thanks
    pipkin71
    It's cold here but not too cold. I use the room thermometer in the kitchen as a guide - it's been known to drop below 14 degrees some mornings when I first get up. I have the windows open but will close those before I get my girls up as they complain, otherwise They think it's freezing whereas I think it's crisp
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 11,589 Posts
    • 66,966 Thanks
    kittie
    I have been doing the maths and working out the cost of heating my home with wood pellets v electric plus the cost of heating the water, (physics stuff) wood pellets are now in short supply in europe and have increased in price due to several pellet power stations coming online and shortage of suitable wood. It actually works out far cheaper to heat individual rooms with electric, only because of the fanatastic insulation here so no energy loss. I have told my two neighbours as they were starting to fret over the pellet price.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 14,317 Posts
    • 134,239 Thanks
    mardatha
    I think councils will do away with coal heating like mine, and one day we will be forced to go electric and that fills me with dread. Because a coal fire heats the stone walls here and electric does not. If they take out the heating then I'll make them leave the fireplace and chimney intact, and use it as an open fire.
    This house has 3 chimneys - one was a fireplace in the main bedroom, placed in the dividing wall between it and the back bedroom, which is absolutely baltic. When that fire was in use, the two rooms would have been far cosier, but health & safety ruined that. It was blocked up when I moved in or I would have used it.
    Apparently the 3rd chimney was for a boiler in the kitchen, for doing the washing, but I can't find any neighbours who remember where it was or how it worked.
    • Thriftkitten
    • By Thriftkitten 7th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 6,015 Thanks
    Thriftkitten
    I'm trying to decide if I should join in with the grocery challenge, I did it some years ago with a spreadsheet which worked well but I can't seem to find my way back to where I found it.... For this month I think I will do the saving of all receipts so that I know where I am, start right at the beginning....
    It's currently showing at 4c here in sunny St Ives but we have a bitterly cold easterly wind being right on the end of the country so I am hesitant to move but mother feels there may be some people out and about wanting fudge today So hi ho it's off to work I go.... I'm hoping my only spend today will be some lamb and leeks as I rather fancy a lamb stew with dumplings done in the pressure cooker.... Ohhh comfort food to warm my cockles as my toes have been cold for days it feels... Dosen't help that I have this laminate in the livingroom but I have had the hot water bottle on repeat while I'm sitting and knitting...
    If anyone has the right road to the spead sheet I'd be eternally greatful as I seem to be going round in circles here and might as well strike while the iron is hot....
    Stay cozy from a very blustery St Ives
    Thriftkitten

Tesco saving stamps £13.00

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p
    August 2014
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 7th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 4,461 Thanks
    Tink_04
    We are struggling this winter - we moved in Feb to our new house and it’s quite drafty and hard to keep the heat in. We do try and keep the doors closed (kids forget a lot) the kitchen is the coldest room (old single brick extension) and I find that makes the downstairs very cold.

Upstairs heats up really well and can get very hot so the roof insulation is good and the bedrooms are toastie! We will have to live with the kitchen for a couple of years as it is a big job so will have to wait! We can’t close it off as the cats food and litter box is through there.
    1p savings challenge 2018
    £2 savings challenge
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 7th Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 7,909 Posts
    • 27,582 Thanks
    Primrose
    Could you keep the kitchen door shut and install an internal cat flap in that door so the kitchen doesnt suck out heat from the rest of the house but the cat can still access food and little via an internal cat flap ?
    Last edited by Primrose; 07-01-2018 at 6:06 PM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 9,516 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Hot water bottle night tonight! I've felt cold all day since I went out earlier. Bed socks too.

I bought a men's plaid shirt from a charity shop and I wear it over my pyjamas and it keeps me really warm. The fabric looks very thin, but it is 100% cotton and works for some reason.

I've been looking at the pics of America too, looks really miserable that! We've still got frozen snow lying- not deep - and it's currently minus 3.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    My online friends from the US say the cold is brutal.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 3/60
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 11,589 Posts
    • 66,966 Thanks
    kittie
    It is a truly horrible day, no wind, grey, cold, feels damp out. Bone chilling if you go out. Warmth in the house is being maintained well via electric heaters with therostats and I am also burning 3 candles from my (still) very large stash. Occupying myself with prep for food cooking and will soon get down to knitting for the rest of the day

It is so grim today that I left my heavy curtain closed upstairs and the heater is on 18 degrees, warming the bedroom and en suite. It is a safe heater btw. Downstairs 19 in the open plan living area and passive lakeland towel rail (90w) on all day in the hall. Making a difference and easier than the pellets

Bedsocks at night make a big difference to being cosy and comfortable when sleeping
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 14,317 Posts
    • 134,239 Thanks
    mardatha
    Wish I could post a pic here kittie - its a gorgeous day up here, blue skies bright sun and glittering frozen snow on around. Was minus 6 earlier but it hasn't risen much, Edinburgh airport recorded minus 9. I had to wrap a scarf around my face when I went out to the PostVan as the air is so cold that breathing hurt. I'm cooking lamb chops and then going to settle down to knitting as well
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 155,311 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've had twilight all day and it's been cold but the wind has dropped so not as bone-achingly cold as it was yesterday. The light has been very odd and we've needed lights on all day in the house too. Tomorrow we're due rain and then it warms up a bit for the rest of the week according to the weather forecast.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 8th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 4,905 Thanks
    zeupater
    I have been doing the maths and working out the cost of heating my home with wood pellets v electric plus the cost of heating the water, (physics stuff) wood pellets are now in short supply in europe and have increased in price due to several pellet power stations coming online and shortage of suitable wood. It actually works out far cheaper to heat individual rooms with electric, only because of the fanatastic insulation here so no energy loss. I have told my two neighbours as they were starting to fret over the pellet price.
    Originally posted by kittie
    Hi

You've hit the nail on the head there, keeping the heat in is key to affordable comfort over the winter months!

Our insulation is well above most, but anyone would be doing well to better energy consumption mentioned in this 'Vriconian' blog which looks to have a similar setup to ours - Winter's arrived in an energy efficient home ... other interesting blog entries also cover solar power for electricity & hot water heating, small heat-pumps, burning logs etc, effectively they're using a number of available heat sources in combination as required to meet the conditions at the time which might be interesting to compare to your own £maths/physics ...

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 08-01-2018 at 9:00 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,160Posts Today

8,505Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• Follow Martin