Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,342Posts
    • 17,803Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 104
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 26th Nov 17, 5:33 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    I used to live in a 1911 flat with much worse problems.

One big problem we have here is the lounge is open to the stairs so lots of the heat escapes up to the landing.

No issues with damp but the lounge is effectively exposed on two sides, the front and the side where we are link detached, there's a small tunnel between us and next doors lounge that gives access to our back gardens. Just doesn't help.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • kittie
    • By kittie 28th Nov 17, 7:05 PM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,811 Thanks
    kittie
    I looked at my (netatmo) graph for last nights temperature where I keep the monitor, which is in my bedroom and now realise why I was wakeful a couple of times. It was 16 degrees and that, at my age is too cold for health. First off I stripped the bed and put the electric underblanket on, so I have a warm bed when I get in. Then I replaced all the covers with cozee home fleece and replaced the welsh wool blanket on top of the duvet.

I temporarily put my lakeland towel heater in the bedroom for extra heat because the radiator is very tiny, however the building fabric up there must have cooled without me realising, once up to temperature then it will remain there pretty well all night. I left the bathroom doors open as they have decent radiators and will help and the pellet stove is on full pelt. I was so busy, I never appreciated the building fabric cooling down and mine is an eco house btw, must be freezing in many homes now. Well winter fuel allowance was in today and mine is being spent on heat, exactly what it is for

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5372296.stm
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 29th Nov 17, 8:24 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Little oil heater for DS bedroom has broken. Heating off between 10pm and 6am, his room dropped to 16-17°c overnight. Put another long sleeve top on him over the shoulder straps of his sleeping bag.

At 15 months next week he's big enough for the cot bed duvet but I'm worried he'll wriggle out from it and get cold with no sleeping bag on. Ah mummy worries.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 29th Nov 17, 8:38 AM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    tori.k
    That's the issue we have here Kittie, we can't get enough heat into the stone walls as most days nobody is at home to get a fire going until after 6pm.
    This morning the indoor temp is 13.4c we've never been able to get the ambient temperature above 16.5 during the dark half of the year.
    I've given up we've added insulation where we can, plugged most of the drafts ( need to keep some so damp doesn't become a problem) but have to except that it's just miserable here in winter. But in fairness it was only designed as a summer holiday let.
    We will run out of wood in January by my guess, I'm loathed to buy anymore in as we didn't anticipate another winter here and it already cost me £140. So may consider a temporary bedsit type living and just heat two rooms by electric rather than buy in more the house is upside down so would be easy to do.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 29th Nov 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I could not get warm enough yesterday. I had a really bad sleep the night before and felt tired so I don't know if that was why.

I was wearing my scarf indoors! I also had my warm slipper boots on and a furry throw wrapped around me.

I bought a new halogen heater, but I didn't want to plug it in and fall asleep as I was on my own.

I feel okay today, but it does feel chilly still. I will try out the heater today.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Nov 17, 4:46 PM
    • 14,163 Posts
    • 132,292 Thanks
    mardatha
    Tori logs are not hot enough for real winter weather, use coal
    The north wind is howling through the double glazing in the back of the house, the bathroom is an arctic zone and nothing I do seems to help. Kitchen is bearable, also at back and north facing. Rest of house is warm, livingroom constant at 26C. As long as the coal lasts lol but I have 2 big coal bunkers.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 29th Nov 17, 6:32 PM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,811 Thanks
    kittie
    yes, mar is right, logs just don`t give out enough heat to warm stone. Re that living in two rooms tori, that is what many of us did in the old days, when pipes and toilets froze. Use anything you can to insulate those rooms, newspapers, cs duvets, old carpet. It does not matter how the room looks but you need to get some heat in there safely and then keep it there. Don`t block off the air vent. If push comes to shove and it gets to minus temperatures, then construct something like a tent in one room, for sleeping

That volcano in bali, likely means that temperatures will go low because all that dust in the layers around the earth will be stopping the suns rays from getting in, feeble though they are at this time of year
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 30th Nov 17, 8:22 AM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    tori.k
    It's all our own fault, we were foolishly confident that when our offer on the next house was excepted in June that we would be completed by now, so didn't make an allowance for wood this winter. We now have a oil filled radiator in the downstairs hall to take the chill off. Only reason I've been putting off the bedsit idea is I don't like electricals in the bedrooms and the only way DH will agree is if I let him have the blasted goggle box.
    Lucky enough no Frost this morning, but very wet. I work outside so am a bit more hardened to the weather than DH sat in his central heated office, but he's also diabetic so we will have to sort the heating out more, we've had so many mild winters in Cornwall over the last few years we've got quite complacent
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 30th Nov 17, 9:18 AM
    • 14,163 Posts
    • 132,292 Thanks
    mardatha
    I think a lot of the problem is that some modern-ish houses are not designed to run cheaply and stay warm. Even an old house can be made cosy if it has an open fire, if you use warm warm clothes, screens and door curtains as draught proofing. Copy the Victorians lol - look at wing armchairs, they were designed for draughts. Plus there is a fine balance between draughts and damp - if you have one then you cut down the other. But if you have no open fireplace then things get complicated and expensive with things like condensation damp and mould. I think, anyway. Just my witterings We have snow forecast for tonight and up north is getting a pasting, with a lot of thundersnow around. I had that here twice and it's bloody scary.
    Last edited by mardatha; 30-11-2017 at 1:07 PM.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 30th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 6,554 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Snow today in the North East! It's beginning to feel a bit like Christmas!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 30th Nov 17, 10:59 AM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 12,433 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I once had to explain to a Norwegian friend what a draught excluder was (mine was comedy cat shaped). She explained that in Norway they don't build houses with draughts.

I leave home in the dark and return in the dark, meaning it's easy to forget to go outside and fill the bird feeders and clear ice from the birdbath. When I thawed it last weekend there was a bad-tempered feathery queue to splash about in it.

I've just made a cup of tea with water from a kettle I forgot to turn on at the wall. I don't recommend this approach to hot drink consumption.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 2nd Dec 17, 9:10 AM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 6,554 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Can I please ask that anyone who holds or has left contact details with friends or neighbours check that they are up to date? We had a situation yesterday morning where an elderly neighbour hadn't been seen, curtains still closed, porch light still on.. He couldn't be reached by phone or banging on door. We then realised that the numbers we had for his sons were home landlines, so not a lot of good mid morning when they would be at work. A mobile number or some information where they worked would have been helpful. It's been a wake up call to a few of us who thought that we were well prepared should contact be needed amongst our friends and neighbours and a quick swapping of information has ensued!
    Fortunately the police were able to tell us that he was in a local hospital having a pre-op and had forgotten to tell us! He's back home now and it was nice to see the lights on last night.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 8th Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    Doveling
    Lots of snow this morning!
    Road out to Leek and up to Buxton closed first thing but will probably be open by now.

Coal bunker full and wood store fine but stupidly forgot to chop up some kindling and have very little left!
    May cheat and buy a packet of fire lighters
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 8th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    Doveling
    Eenymeeny - excellent reminder.

Would that be worth putting at the beginning of the thread with the winter list?
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 8th Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Snow on the hills and gardens this morning but pavements just a bit icy. The Snake Pass is supposed to be closed but I could see quite a few sets of headlights on it this morning-they couldn't all be snow ploughs?

Since I could get out and we are predicted heavy snow over the weekend I walked down to Tesco to get some veg. They had legs of lamb half price so bought one. I wouldn't pay full price. Now I just have to decide whether to change the planned menu and cook it on Sunday or try and find room for it in the freezer.

I find snow very unsettling and spend ages checking the local Facebook page and road and weather reports rather than getting on with the housework.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just went out for a walk and the wind is freezing! I forgot my scarf. I had to turn the heating up almost to full last night.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Dec 17, 6:39 PM
    • 14,163 Posts
    • 132,292 Thanks
    mardatha
    No snow here yet but some serious cold. Temp stuck at minus 2 most of the day then at 2pm dropped like a brick. We've to hit a dizzy high over the weekend of minus 1.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 9th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 6,554 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny - excellent reminder.

Would that be worth putting at the beginning of the thread with the winter list?
    Originally posted by Doveling
    Thank you. I mentioned it to my sister who said that they were in touch with everyone through social media so it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'm the only one who sits down with a cuppa at night to catch up with the couple of friends that I use it for....
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 9th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    We got over 6 inches of snow on Friday, a clear day today and another 6-8" forecast on Sun into Monday... we aren't up a Welsh mountain or in the Highlands, we're in Telford...! And not even "just outside" or even on the edge of, we're properly in the middle parish of Telford, but a set of really uncommon weather conditions have combined to give us more snow than since 1990, possibly more than since the 1963 or 1947 winters for this area!

It's also forecast to be -6 on Sun/Mon night...

We've closed up the north-facing sitting room completely, blinds and door shut at all times, and are living in our little bedroom. We aren't cold in here but we decided to take preventive measures so we stay warm! We're keeping the door closed, the curtains are open when there's sun to come in the south-facing window but kept 3/4-closed otherwise - we have great lighting so it doesn't feel gloomy
    Plenty of hot food available, I spent last week filling our tiny freezer with things to heat up.
    We went out for a 2-mile walk yesterday and were boiling when we got in after fighting through northerly winds with teeth in, sharp bitey snowstorm! Today is dry and bright with no real snow forecast, so we'll have a more mundane walk

We're re-filling the stone pig 2-3 times a day and the room is wonderful comfortable. I'm knitting the last Xmas presents and we're enjoying old b&w movies
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 9th Dec 17, 10:27 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    Doveling
    No, you're not the only one Eenymeeny

I don't do Faceache or anything else!

Quite a few people I know are ditching social media - too stressful and invasive in their lives.

I think it would be good added onto the list.

Someone on another thread gave the idea of writing food bank on the top of your own shopping list -fantastic!

All little tips and hacks that make life easier for those of us with minds like sieves.

Big fluffy flakes outside now.

You sound really cosy Laura_Elsewhere
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,093Posts Today

7,382Users online

Martin's Twitter