Mazda CX-5 vs. Nissan Qashqai Vs Hyundai IX35

I'm looking at these three cars as my next family car. I like the higher drive and want something with a bigger boot which is not an estate car.

I'm a company car driver so will be buying new but all the three models are similar price for me with lease costs and tax (its a salary sacrifice car arrangement) so I know emissions are higher on some but it doesnt seem to affect my overall costs IYSWIM. All work out around the same price as my current car which is a Golf Bluemotion.

I can't decide between the three so thought I'd try and get other peoples thoughts to see if that helps. I liked the power of the Mazda, the look of the Hyundai and the gadgets of the Nissan! I dont insure, tax or service so these are not factors I need to consider (reliability is but not costs).

I'd be looking at Diesel for all. Nissan would be the Ntec, Mazda the SE-L Nav and the Hyundai the SE Nav at the mo.

any thoughts appreciated, cars are not my forte!

TIA

Comments

• alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    First hands up.
    I own a 2014 QQ.

Very nice car but some of them have issues.

Notable in this is the 1.6 diesel, especially when mated to the CVT box (which i don't have).

What model and mileage are you looking at?

The IX35, the Kia equivalent and the Mazda were the other cars i considered against the QQ.

The IX35 is now over priced and the interior isn't as good as it should be.

Over time i knew it would niggle me about the interior.
    It might not bother you if it's going after 3 years(guess?)

The Kia i was considering buying but the dealer was an expletive so it didn't even get out of the gate.
    My colleague owns a Sportage 2 and he loves it.

The Mazda i liked the drive of the best but the price was too steep. The interior was drab and i'm still a bit leary of the diesel engine and their dpf / regen issues and oil getting into the sump (which isn't an issue for you i guess).

I'd say it really depends on which model you are looking at on each car and how long you are sat in it each day.

With my arm up my back, money no object and i had to have any of the 3 i'd still go with the QQ but that engine in the mazda is a, comparative, peach.
  • Thanks alleycat.

I was looking at the 1.5dci diesel on the QQ, 1.7crdi on the Hyundai and 2.2 on the mazda.

i do about 7,000 a year, 3 days with a hour commute each day and the rest local driving but i can be in the car each day. With a toddler!

i would be looking to keep the car over 3 years.

agree with the interior on the mazda, that is what puts me off as i did like the power in the engine! I looked at the Kia but wasnt sure if it had more body roll than the others on corners?

I currently get about 55mpg from my golf so dont want to get a car that takes me way below this.
  • alleycat`
    Forumite
    Well if you were buying i'd have said avoid the diesels altogether.

The mileage just doesn't justify the additional expense cost of the car and likelihood you could end up in dpf clogging / regeneration hell (does depend on what your journey is obviously).

Because the 1.5 engine on the qq is so low co2 wise i'd assume it should work out the best for you (and it'll probably be the most economical).

The 1.2 petrol, i know i laughed too, is actually not bad at all. Did you consider it?

I'd imagine it'd only average about 42mpg (which is quite a bit down on what you are aiming for) but how does it compare on sacrifice?

I don't know if you get fuel "mileage" costs back for work or not. How does petrol vs diesel compare?

If the petrol doesn't do it for you of the 3 i'd go for the QQ 1.5dci but i'll be honest i'd have some slight worries about the mileage and that dpf.

Do you know if the company lease scheme will put you on the hook if problems occur?
    It started to appear as language in our scheme a couple of years ago before it all went cash for cars.
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 845
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2014 at 11:27AM
    I've recently bought an IX35 after deciding between the different SUV/crossovers.

For me it came down to price. For the money, I got a newer, better spec. IX35 than I could have got if buying a QQ, Kuga or similar.

Mine is 6 month old in premium 1.7CRDI spec. and cost £17500. It looks good, has all the toys I will use, loads of space and is nice to drive (maybe not as good on B roads as a kuga but most of my time is spent on the motorway).

You say the lease works out roughly the same for all the cars so just have a go in them all and see which you like best. Most dealers will let you have one for an extended test drive (few hours) if you ask nicely.

As others have said though - I'd be worried about doing low mileage in a new diesel.
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Any reason why the Honda CRV hasnt made your shortlist? or is it much more expensive than the 3 on the shortlist?
  • Is the solution to these sooty diesels and clogged DPF's just to kick it's head in every now and again?
  • alleycat`
    Forumite
    Is the solution to these sooty diesels and clogged DPF's just to kick it's head in every now and again?

They need a good "run out" regularly so that the particulate filter can burn off all the "crud" caught in it.

Some cars can also do a "passive" regeneration but if they get interrupted often enough (short journeys in the cold) they tend to throw their legs in the air, go into limp mode and basically you are looking at a dealers bill.

The reality is that although the fuel savings look good on paper, the risk to average low mileage joe, is pretty high.

If you are a high speed mile muncher they still make the most sense.

So yeah a weekly thrash up and down the dual carriageway is what they need but it becomes counter productive to "saving fuel" having to make additional journeys.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2014 at 4:52PM
    alleycat` wrote: »
    They need a good "run out" regularly so that the particulate filter can burn off all the "crud" caught in it.

Some cars can also do a "passive" regeneration but if they get interrupted often enough (short journeys in the cold) they tend to throw their legs in the air, go into limp mode and basically you are looking at a dealers bill.

That's actually an 'active' regeneration. Passive regeneration is what you first described.

Forced regeneration is the third stage (dealer) and complete replacement the fourth.

We have two dpf equipped cars and neither have been any trouble in four years. Combined annual mileage c.16k
  • Thanks for all the replies. I have test driven all 3 and they all had pros and cons which left me with them on the shortlist. I guess I was looking to see if there was anything else I wasn't thinking of.

I'm not sure why the Honda didn't make my list - I just don't think I thought of it. Is that better in any ways than the 3 I'm thinking of?

In terms of costs being passed on to me, I dont think they are if things go wrong but I guess I would need to check the small print. I think all costs are picked up by the company.

the lease costs of the petrol plus the high CO2 figures and low forecast MPG put me off the petrol models. I've had my diesel for 3 years and (touch wood) I've had no issues with the dpf.

I do 3 return trips on the motorway each week so shoudl this be enough to regenerate (?) the filters?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    One motorway trip a week should be enough... assuming you can get up to motorway speeds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure