Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Rebecca
    • By Former MSE Rebecca 7th Nov 14, 12:50 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 96Thanks
    Former MSE Rebecca
    Pothole claims guide discussion
    • 7th Nov 14, 12:50 PM
    Pothole claims guide discussion 7th Nov 14 at 12:50 PM

Hi all,

We've written a new Pothole Claims guide for the website and we'd love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you would add?

Thanks for your help,

MSE Rebecca
Page 7
    • BaileyB
    • By BaileyB 2nd Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    BaileyB
    Just after a little but if advice to see if this is worth pursing.

My claim was rejected I hit a pothole on the 16/01/17 which is turn broke my coil spring and shredded my tyre. My claim was for just these and labour which was £130 Inc vat.

After 7 weeks of chasing they got back to me:

The claim has been carefully investigated and we must advise you that liability is denied and unfortunately we have no offers to make in respect of this loss.

The decision is based upon the fact that our client has in place and can demonstrate a reasonable system of inspection. The road is inspected on a 6 monthly basis and was last inspected prior to your accident on the 10/1/17. An actionable defect was observed on that occasion and a priority 2 repair was ordered to be completed within 35 working days.

Taking all the facts into account, we do not consider that our clients have been in breach of their statutory duties and moreover that they have taken reasonable care in the circumstances to ensure the safety of the highway.

This being so, we consider that our clients have not been negligent in any way, and whilst we have every sympathy, we regret we are unable to offer any compensation on behalf of our client.

We appreciate this is not the answer which you would have wanted or hoped for but trust you will understand the reasons for our position.

Yours faithfully,

So just unlucky?
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 2nd Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    Tilt
    Just after a little but if advice to see if this is worth pursing.

My claim was rejected I hit a pothole on the 16/01/17 which is turn broke my coil spring and shredded my tyre. My claim was for just these and labour which was £130 Inc vat.

After 7 weeks of chasing they got back to me:

The claim has been carefully investigated and we must advise you that liability is denied and unfortunately we have no offers to make in respect of this loss.

The decision is based upon the fact that our client has in place and can demonstrate a reasonable system of inspection. The road is inspected on a 6 monthly basis and was last inspected prior to your accident on the 10/1/17. An actionable defect was observed on that occasion and a priority 2 repair was ordered to be completed within 35 working days.

Taking all the facts into account, we do not consider that our clients have been in breach of their statutory duties and moreover that they have taken reasonable care in the circumstances to ensure the safety of the highway.

This being so, we consider that our clients have not been negligent in any way, and whilst we have every sympathy, we regret we are unable to offer any compensation on behalf of our client.

We appreciate this is not the answer which you would have wanted or hoped for but trust you will understand the reasons for our position.

Yours faithfully,

So just unlucky?
    Originally posted by BaileyB
    Wow! So they have admitted that they were aware of the problem a whole 6 weeks BEFORE your incident!

I would say that gives you enough ammunition to make an application to the small claims court. I would say that their quoted time scale to make good the repair is unreasonable.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • BaileyB
    • By BaileyB 2nd Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    BaileyB
    I think you misread the date of the accident. It was a week before they noticed it, according to them. I drove down there a few weeks later and still not repaired.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 3rd Mar 17, 12:48 AM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    Tilt
    I think you misread the date of the accident. It was a week before they noticed it, according to them. I drove down there a few weeks later and still not repaired.
    Originally posted by BaileyB
    Ah yes, my bad.

But depending on how deep/dangerous the pot hole was should of dictated how soon they attended it. Either that or put some form of warning signs out.

Did you have images of it?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • gavint8
    • By gavint8 3rd Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gavint8
    Hello Everyone,

Could do with some advice on a pot hole blow out, the damage was 2 Buckled and craked alloys and 2 new tyres. £600 repair bill.

The pot hole was 3.2m Long, 1.3m Wide and 150MM Deep, and covered by a puddle on a B Class road in North Lanarkshire.

As expected the council rejected the initial claim, saying a survey was done on the 21st with no faults reported, I hit the pot hole on the 26th. This is a small rural road, with very light traffic, I have drivin it loads of times, its peppered with 100`s of pot holes, cracks and temp repairs.

I have done the freedom of information request and have the reports here, almost all details of the actual survey reports are blacked out.

On a stretch on road less than 2 miles, there has been at least 4 Cat 1 reports (serious) and over 60 temp pot holes filed.

I am really at a loss on what to do next. Can any one help ?
    • Emsgray1
    • By Emsgray1 3rd Apr 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emsgray1
    FOI request refused by council
    Hi Everyone

I've recently requested information from my local council relating to the maintenance of a local road where I recently had a puncture & damaged my front tyre & alloy. I had to replace the tyre the very next day & as such I sent in a claim to the council which they rejected as they claim to have last inspected the road in November 2016 & my damage occurred in January 2017. They say that I was the first person to have reported the pothole & that within 5 days of my claim to them they arranged repair to it which they have now done. They have used the argument that they couldn't reasonably have known about the pothole if no one had previously reported it. I am very sceptical about this as it is an extremely busy road & as such I have requested information under the FOI Act. I have now received a letter back from them stating that under the Environmental Information Regulations the Council is applying an exception to it's obligation to disclose the information requested as basically it is not in the public interest to do so ?? Is it just me or does this not sound suspiciously like they have something to hide ? I'm wondering where I can go with this now as it appears I'd have little ground to challenge this. Has anyone else been refused this information under the FOI Act as I thought they had a legal obligation to provide this ? Thanks
    • Gusianr
    • By Gusianr 25th Apr 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gusianr
    FOI request refused by counci
    Hi
    I have had a very similar situation with our local Council- They refused to provide details of Road inspections under the Environmental Information Regulations and subsequently rejected a claim for new Alloy , tyre and Garage work to inspect my vehicle following Pot hole damage at the end of January. They claim I was the first to report this pothole (crater which has been developing over a number of weeks from its appearance) and that their inspection was within the code of practice at the end of November. They subsequenty repaired the pothole within 10 days.
    Has anyone experience of taking matters like this to the small claims court? The amount is only £150 but it is the principal of the Councils attitude to road maintenance. Thanks
    • Ant in Cornwall
    • By Ant in Cornwall 4th May 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ant in Cornwall
    Pothole Damage Claims
    Thank you MSE! I have just received a check from Cornwall Council for £126.79 following a damage to a tyre after hitting a pothole. I used the quick claim form on the council website and the letter template on the MSE website. I also took lots of photos of the damaged tyre, a photo of the pothole (with my car keys for scale) and a print of google maps showing the location of the pothole (along with photos that showed it's position. Although this sounds a bit arduous, in fact all this took a little over 30 mins and getting the price of the tyre back seems a good return. The whole process took about 2 weeks and Cornwall Council accepted my claim without further argument. As a bonus (and boosting my feeling of having done something for the greater good) within 2 days of acknowledging my claim, all the potholes on that stretch of road had been patched - maybe just a coincidence, but they had been there for as long as I can remember previously!
    • Jennifer Longstaff
    • By Jennifer Longstaff 30th May 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jennifer Longstaff
    Pothole - Claim Rejected
    Hi Everyone,
    I have just received a letter back from Glasgow City Council rejecting my claim for damage done to my brand-new car. My tyre blew up my allow had a chunk taken out of it and I had to replace plastic casing underneath my car.
    In total it cost £150, it would have cost a lot more had I not known the mechanic.
    I am gutted as naively thought that this was going to be an open and shut case.
    I was driving home and on the road in question I was doing less than 5mph as I pulled in to let another car past and when I went to pull off again (not seeing the massive pothole) I drove straight into it and next thing I know my front left tyre blows up and I veer onto the pavement.
    I was advised by a friend to complain about the pothole and also submit a FOI request asking how many other cars have been damaged by the said pothole. I was lead to believe that if someone else had damaged their car then they would have to pay out for my damages. This is not the case.
    In the last 3 years 7 other people have complained about damaging their cars on the same pothole. Yet the still rejected my claim.
    I came across this website and have now submitted another FOI Request re the maintenance of the road.
    Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Jen
    • Tabz123
    • By Tabz123 7th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tabz123
    Hi, I am a newbie and am struggling to find where you actually start a new thread? Any help ?
    • Tabz123
    • By Tabz123 7th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tabz123
    Hello,
    I recently hit a pothole in Manchester (North Street) at around 25 miles per hour. The depth of the pothole was such that it cracked my exhaust and caught my alloys which were diamond cut alloys. Overall it cost me £550 to repair. After months of complaints to MCC and letters back and forth they have rejected my claim. They said that this particular road only required an inspection every 6 months and they inspected it on 09.09.16 and even though their SLAs say they should repair within 20days they carried out the repair on 31.09.16. I actually hit the pothole on 25.09.16 and so they refuse to pay as I hit the hole within their SLA. However looking at the road it has a great amount of traffic, especially lorries and therefore the 6 month inspection they carry out is not adequate to begin with. My last resort is the small claims court. Is this worth it given my claim details ?
    • sandesar
    • By sandesar 15th Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sandesar
    Pothole m60
    Hi

In January I hit a huge pothole on the M60 (50MPH) roadworks causing a blow out and damaging my wheel and tyre. I wrote to the highways agency, filled the claim form in and have just received a letter rejecting my claim saying there has not been any negligence on the part of the highway they have attached the safety inspection reports. Can you give any help on what I do next. This year I have hot 3 pothole costing me over £1000!! Thanks in advance. Sarah
    Last edited by sandesar; 15-06-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 16th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 6,388 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Pay a bit more attention when you're driving?
    • Jawashark
    • By Jawashark 25th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jawashark
    Pothole freedom of information rejection?!
    Hi all, hit a pothole which damaged my alloy beyond repair.. Had to fork out £400 for a brand new wheel. It is a pothole that had been getting bigger for months and when I hit it, it was unavoidable as you have to straddle the lanes to miss it. Did fast claim got rejected. Did FOI and they came back with a response over 20 working days later saying under EIR regulations 12(5)(b) they wouldn't give me the info ... Any advice on what to do? £400 is a lot of money to be out of pocket.
    • Woodmysta
    • By Woodmysta 12th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Woodmysta
    pot hole claim palmed off !!
    Pot hole claim palmed off by the council as it was not the responsibility of the council, it was the water authorities fault, it was a sunken drain.
    I've seen others ask this question, but not seen any replies or outcomes, is it worth persueing the water authority or am I flogging a dead horse ?
    thanks in advance for any sensible replies.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Hi all, hit a pothole which damaged my alloy beyond repair.. Had to fork out £400 for a brand new wheel. It is a pothole that had been getting bigger for months and when I hit it, it was unavoidable as you have to straddle the lanes to miss it. Did fast claim got rejected. Did FOI and they came back with a response over 20 working days later saying under EIR regulations 12(5)(b) they wouldn't give me the info ... Any advice on what to do? £400 is a lot of money to be out of pocket.
    Originally posted by Jawashark
    At what point during those months did you report it?
    • JCEMB1991
    • By JCEMB1991 23rd Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JCEMB1991
    bike pothole incident
    Hi it was only last night I came off my bike due to somew poor road conditions .i.e. pothole whilst it was wet and i was going around 30-35 mph and it was just comming up to some traffic lights and i went to break and the bike just dropped from under me. after some basic looks at the road it was in quite some shoddy condition with a manhole cover that was dipped in to a pothole.

this has caused some damage to my bike such as the hydrolic system for my back break is completely wreaked, and my head light is broken and the right footplate is broke as well.

but my issue is i need my bike for work.

any tips info i could use to help me in my situation.

but I myself am OK just a little sewlling in my right hand from when I landed on it.
    • JCEMB1991
    • By JCEMB1991 23rd Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JCEMB1991
    I came off my bike other day when I was breaking at some traffic lights when my bike fell from underneath me and I ended up slamming the ground the damage to the bike is a broken headlight, dented petrol tank and my right foot plate and back break mechanism is completely destroyed.

Now upon closer inspection I came to realise that the road was not in the best of condition and noticing that there was a pothole with a manhole cover in it roughly in the spot where I came off. The conditions were wet but hadn't been raining for a while.

Any advice would be most helpful in my situation.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 23rd Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    I came off my bike other day when I was breaking at some traffic lights when my bike fell from underneath me and I ended up slamming the ground the damage to the bike is a broken headlight, dented petrol tank and my right foot plate and back break mechanism is completely destroyed.

Now upon closer inspection I came to realise that the road was not in the best of condition and noticing that there was a pothole with a manhole cover in it roughly in the spot where I came off. The conditions were wet but hadn't been raining for a while.

Any advice would be most helpful in my situation.
    Originally posted by JCEMB1991
    Take photos of the pothole. Are you sure it caused your accident? You say yourself it was only roughly where you came off. Anyway, all you can do is notify the council and see if it was already reported. If it hadn't been reported, your claim won't be successful because the council can't be expected to monitor every bit of road every day. If it was reported and they have been late to effect a repair, you may have grounds for a successful claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

262Posts Today

1,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin