Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    • 8,242Posts
    • 45,754Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!
    • 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!! 6th Nov 14 at 4:53 PM
    This is my 2nd diary on MSE. My first diary, "When I asked for luck I didn't mean the bad variety!!" has to be closed as it's reached over 5000 posts!! It can be found here;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3911061

In 2011 my Husband had a motorcycle accident resulting in a severe brain injury, memory problems and Epilepsy. Unfortunately he is getting worse not better and I am now his full time Carer, which can be challenging, but I'm ever grateful he is still here! I also have 2 boys aged 10 and almost 5, a part time job and I'm currently a Beaver Leader but I've just given notice to leave at Christmas (as much as it pains me!) as I just can't manage that too. The last 3.5 years have been hard going for lots of reasons, but worth it. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day!!

At the time of the accident we owed over £23,700 on credit cards and we currently owe just over £3000. Hopefully this diary will see us getting debt free forever! I hope you'll join me.

Lucky Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in October 6/5
    Lbs lost 18/107.
Page 187
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 4,046 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Nice one
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,913 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on MR T but bleugh.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 8th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 6,339 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Mouldy strawberries happening alot at the moment, I put some back in Aldi yesterday as they too were growing a winter fur coat

How's your weekend been darling?
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 8th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 8,242 Posts
    • 45,754 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Winter fur coat . Spot on description but boak!

Quiet weekend here. Still not walking far on this stupid foot, so just been pottering. Not a NSD as no one thought to tell me we were running out of cordial, so I didn't buy any more on Friday , and a trip to the shop was needed as they couldn't possibly just have water all weekend . It coud've been worse though, and it's been a very cheap weekend overall.

DH's moods were very erratic last night, makor highs and crashing lows. Just noting that on here incase I need it later.

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,913 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would have just let them drink water
    I am good that way

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 4,451 Posts
    • 24,913 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Well done on the weight loss and gift card I will be straight back on my diet when I get back from holiday, dreading weigh in!
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    October NSD 6/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 9th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 12,704 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Well done indeed on weight loss and not putting up with over-coated strawberries!

ps. I'd have sent the kids out blackberrying if they wanted an alternative to plain water, or told them not having cordial until the next scheduled shopping expedition was a valuable life-lesson in appreciating luxuries!
    ..Yeah I know; tough Mummy teehee.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 9th Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 6,339 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Lack of cordial is huge in our house too, imagine having nothing but water to drink Superman would be emotional and master H would be asking the neighbour over the fence
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,913 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lack of cordial is huge in our house too, imagine having nothing but water to drink Superman would be emotional and master H would be asking the neighbour over the fence
    Originally posted by mary hinge

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 9th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 8,242 Posts
    • 45,754 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Originally posted by mary hinge

Love how different we all are! Wish I could be a tough Mummy too Robin, but I just think a 42p bottle of value cordial isn't too much to ask for when they've gone without so much! Plus, it's not their fault that their memory-less Dad didn't mention stocks were running low! However, they've had the lecture now about being accountable themselves, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Today has been a NSD though . Haven't been far today except school runs etc, spent the day batch cooking, cleaning and ironing. Wild .

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,913 Thanks
    beanielou
    PLMBL~# i see things differently to you.
    I think your boys do amazingly well, have great adventures & holidays & you go out of your way to get them all they need & more xx

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 9th Oct 17, 7:14 PM
    • 8,242 Posts
    • 45,754 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing Beanie? . I hope they look back when they are older and think 'Mum did her best' Xx

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,913 Thanks
    beanielou
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing Beanie? . I hope they look back when they are older and think 'Mum did her best' Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    I think that they will.
    As I know my DS does.
    He now appreciates I did the best I could under difficult circumstances. xx

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 4,046 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm sure that when they are old enough they will very much appreciate all you've done for them.

Although I didn't truly appreciate my parents until I had my own children. Each year that I get older now, I appreciate them more and more. I'm sure it will be the same for your boys one day
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 10th Oct 17, 1:47 PM
    • 8,242 Posts
    • 45,754 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks ladies .

£5 gift card has arrived from mr T's .

Spent this morning listing on eBay. Nothing that will bring lots of money, but even a couple of pounds per item will help.

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 10th Oct 17, 2:00 PM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 12,704 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Wish I could be a tough Mummy too Robin, but I just think a 42p bottle of value cordial isn't too much to ask for when they've gone without so much!
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Well, my kids were kids a generation ago, and I was brought up by a Mum who lived through the German Occupation in WW2. Nettle soup was a regular part of our childhood when cash was tight after my parents bought started paying the mortgage on their own house, as was making our own cordial concentrates (always stored in flat-sided, dark glass bottles recycled from NHS-baby-clinic orange & rose-hip syrup supplies - who else remembers those?).
    My kids also supped on nettle soup and home-made bread during lean times, and didn't expect to get bought R!bena unless it was for someone's birthday feast. To be fair, everyone had great fun collecting wild berries and making a wonderful mess producing a supply of home-made cordial which usually lasted for months (sugar-free, so could be given to babies as well).
    Ah, the things we did to keep busy / amused in pre-internet days!
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 10th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 8,242 Posts
    • 45,754 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Simpler times Robin! I'm jealous in a lot of ways Xx

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Oct 17, 7:36 AM
    • 4,451 Posts
    • 24,913 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I don't think many kids these days know what real hardship is. Even the programmes on TV about poverty they've usually got a huge TV and top of the range phones.

I appreciate when I was young, my parents were fairly well off so I wanted for nothing but was still taught the value of things and to realise not everyone was as lucky as me.

No one tells me when we're running out of stuff, it's really annoying when it's things you don't use.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    October NSD 6/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 11th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 5,074 Posts
    • 23,365 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Well done on the weight loss

Hope everythings okay X
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 11th Oct 17, 5:54 PM
    • 8,242 Posts
    • 45,754 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Another NSD .

Took Mum and her partner to airport and she gave me £10. I said not to be silly, as it's not far, but she insisted. Then she rang in a panic as she had forgotten her passport so I had to do a mercy dash back to get it and take it to the airport for her! The £10 seemed more deserved after that .

Sold an item BIN on eBay, and cleared about £4 profit. It's a start.

Got the next size clothes out of the loft for DS2 and have been ploughing through those (3 black bags worth!). I'm on to the 3rd load of washing, but have also got some to weigh in and some more bits to eBay .

Lbs lost 18/107.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

3,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin