Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    • 8,231Posts
    • 45,625Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!
    • 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!! 6th Nov 14 at 4:53 PM
    This is my 2nd diary on MSE. My first diary, "When I asked for luck I didn't mean the bad variety!!" has to be closed as it's reached over 5000 posts!! It can be found here;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3911061

In 2011 my Husband had a motorcycle accident resulting in a severe brain injury, memory problems and Epilepsy. Unfortunately he is getting worse not better and I am now his full time Carer, which can be challenging, but I'm ever grateful he is still here! I also have 2 boys aged 10 and almost 5, a part time job and I'm currently a Beaver Leader but I've just given notice to leave at Christmas (as much as it pains me!) as I just can't manage that too. The last 3.5 years have been hard going for lots of reasons, but worth it. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day!!

At the time of the accident we owed over £23,700 on credit cards and we currently owe just over £3000. Hopefully this diary will see us getting debt free forever! I hope you'll join me.

Lucky Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in October 5/5
    Lbs lost 18/107.
Page 185
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 29th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Injection wasn't as bad as I thought . Stung a bit, but the anaesthetic he put in at the same time soon kicked in. Foot felt much better while the anaesthetic hung around but has ached quite a bit since. Apparently I should see a massive improvement within a couple of days .

Next stop was chub club and I've lost another 3.5lbs . That's 11lb in 2 weeks . Only another 96lbs to go .

Then it was coffee afternoon for MacMillan at DS1's school, collected DS2, round to help MiL do some banking, made tea and packed for DS1's school trip as he leaves in the morning! Feel like I haven't stopped all day!

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 29th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hope the injections make a big difference soon and congrats on the weight loss
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 30th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 24,791 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Ooh you've really got your weight loss mojo back, well done
    Virtual Sealed Pot £656.24
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 30th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks ladies .

Dropped DS1 off for his school trip this morning. Won't see him now for a week . Then went into town at DS2's request, and was conned into a few things by both him and DH! One of which was a winter coat for DS2 which was very much needed (and reasonably cheap from Primarni), but the others were unnecessary spends . I got nowt as usual!

Foot was better than it has been, but still not brilliant. Hopefully injection will kick in properly soon.

Achieved 4 NSDs this month which is actually quite good for a multiple birthday/last bit of holidays/back to school month. Will try for more in October.

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 30th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 5,496 Posts
    • 17,051 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening Pennywise,

As much as id love to say I can't wait til I'm waving my kids off for a week, I reckon id miss them too much even though they drive me up the wall all the time at home!!!

Hope your foot continues to improve xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 47,794 Posts
    • 173,498 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope the injection does the job
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 30th Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Evening Pennywise,

As much as id love to say I can't wait til I'm waving my kids off for a week, I reckon id miss them too much even though they drive me up the wall all the time at home!!!

Hope your foot continues to improve xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Ooh, don't think I'm worthy of the Pennywise title .

I've been nervous about waving him off for days, and it's been on my mind all day, worrying if they'd get there safely. The no fighting between the boys has been nice, not gonna lie, but I do miss him already . This is his third school trip but by far the longest one yet Xx

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 30th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 5,496 Posts
    • 17,051 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Pennywise... PLMBL... same difference

DS will be back annoying you before long , do you get to hear from them? xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 30th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    There's no mobile signal up there, but apparently there's a pay phone in the residential centre, so if he wants to (and can figure out how such an archaic machine might work ) he can phone us. The school have Twitter (I don't but can see the page), and they posted a photo from the ferry mid afternoon .

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 1st Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Still no call from DS1 but I've been keeping updated on Twitter and they seem to be having (very wet!) fun. DH was snoring really badly last night so I snuck into DS1's empty bed. All good until DH woke me up to ask why I had moved .

Was hoping today would be a NSD but needed a small top up shop so did that today, and hopefully tomorrow might be a NSD instead. Not been up to much else today, just cooking/cleaning/ironing. Went to see MiL as she's had a problem with her banking, and my Mum called in to mine with the contents of her penny jar for the boys! They've got about £10 each .

Hope everyone has had a good weekend Xx

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 2nd Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Not a NSD as I forgot it was coffee morning at DS2's school, so £1 donation paid. After school, DS2 was desperate to go spend some of the money he got from my Mum yesterday, and while we were shopping I bought cat food as it was on offer. On the way out, I found a pound, so if I hadn't bought the cat food I could've still claimed a NSD .

De-skanked DS1's bedroom today while he wasn't around to complain . Still no word from him, so taking that as a good sign.

Really windy here today due to the tail end of 2 hurricanes . Pegged out but put 4 pegs on each item .

Awful news about the mass shooting in Las Vegas .

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 2nd Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 5,067 Posts
    • 23,210 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    The wind has been crazy here too! I was so annoyed I'd spent hours sweeping the leaves and now it doesn't look like I've bothered for a whole month
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 2nd Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Ah I feel your pain HI! We are on a corner plot and when it's windy everything gathers in our garden. At best it's leaves, but at worst it's everyone's rubbish .

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 2nd Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 24,791 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Same here Lucky. We live in a wind bowl - our house is right at the top of a hill with nothing but a sheer drop at the back of it and a clear view right to East Midlands Airport. If there's any rubbish in our road you can bet it'll end up in our drive sooner or later.
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 2nd Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's just wet here after a sunny start .

My DH snores a bit too so I wear ear plugs at night, otherwise I'd never get a wink of sleep .

I bet DS1 is having an amazing time on his trip. Bet he'll be full of it when he gets back .
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Oct 17, 7:30 AM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 24,791 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Mr SA snores like a warthog. When he first went in hospital it took me a while to get used to the silence!
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 47,794 Posts
    • 173,498 Thanks
    beanielou
    Does the milk & cat food not count as part of your food budget?
    I only count food if I i go over my food budget IYSWIM?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 3rd Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Does the milk & cat food not count as part of your food budget?
    I only count food if I i go over my food budget IYSWIM?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I only count NSDs if I genuinely spend absolutely nothing that day Beanie (direct debits aside). Personal preference. I can actually count one today though .

Mr Lucky used to snore badly pre accident, mainly due to the amount of alcohol he drank! Thankfully he rarely does now (snore that is, he never drinks now ), and when he does snore it's usually because he's lying on his back or not feeling too good. When he's asleep though he's a ton weight to move as he's so knocked out by his meds, so it's easier for me to move than to move him IYSWIM.

Lbs lost 18/107.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 24,791 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It's strange when you mention Mr Lucky used to drink a lot and he was also a roofer, as Mr SA used to drink a fair bit pre-illness and was also a roofer. We know some local roofers who are very heavy drinkers and a couple of them have lost their lives as a result. Must be the job!

Despite Mr SA not having a drink for 9 months and saying he wasn't going to start it again, he did but can't drink much and does a really weird thing where he pours out a beer, then immediately opens another can, but doesn't drink any of it. So there is always a full glass of flat beer in the fridge plus an open can.
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 4th Oct 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Mr SA does make me laugh

My DH used to snore so badly he stopped breathing several times a night and kept falling asleep in the daytime . He was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea a few years ago, so has a resmed machine at night to keep his airways open. He only snores occasionally now but I'm still in the habit of wearing ear plugs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,420Posts Today

6,908Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin