Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    • 8,144Posts
    • 45,022Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!
    • 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!! 6th Nov 14 at 4:53 PM
    This is my 2nd diary on MSE. My first diary, "When I asked for luck I didn't mean the bad variety!!" has to be closed as it's reached over 5000 posts!! It can be found here;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3911061

In 2011 my Husband had a motorcycle accident resulting in a severe brain injury, memory problems and Epilepsy. Unfortunately he is getting worse not better and I am now his full time Carer, which can be challenging, but I'm ever grateful he is still here! I also have 2 boys aged 10 and almost 5, a part time job and I'm currently a Beaver Leader but I've just given notice to leave at Christmas (as much as it pains me!) as I just can't manage that too. The last 3.5 years have been hard going for lots of reasons, but worth it. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day!!

At the time of the accident we owed over £23,700 on credit cards and we currently owe just over £3000. Hopefully this diary will see us getting debt free forever! I hope you'll join me.

Lucky Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in September- 3/5
    Lbs lost 7.5/107.
Page 181
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 5th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Amber, I first had plantar fasciitis about 4 years ago I think, brought on by walking an unplanned ridiculous distance in flat ballet pumps. It lasted about a year but was worse in one foot and the other was only mildly affected. This time, both feet are really bad and it often feels like I'm trying to walk on metal spikes. Hopefully being back on naproxen will help, though it has upset my tummy already .

Boys have both had an enjoyable first day back at school. Long may that continue! DH has been more himself today too .

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,742 Thanks
    beanielou
    Maybe get your Dr to also prescribe omprazole.
    They will help with the tummy issues.
    Hope you dont have to wait for 5 weeks for another appointment.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 5th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    He gave me lansoprazole beanie, which I believe is the same sort of thing Xx

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Lost my temper with DH today after he asked me the same question over and over. He's been moping round like a puppy that's been kicked ever since, but I'm not in the mood to boost his ego and tell him he's wonderful. I'm sure that makes me a total cowbag, but for a change, I don't actually care!!

Saw an appeal for stock for a local cat sanctuary's charity shop, so took a bag of stuff I'd been hoarding! Bought 5 books while there for DS2 for a grand total of £1.20 . Skint or not, that was a bargain not to be missed! Also took some (sealed and in date!) packets of cat treats I've had in the cupboard since after Christmas when I got a load of them reduced at Mr A's.

My Mum has been asking me if I'm going to have a party for my 40th - I'm not even 39 til Monday .

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 6th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 23,325 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Maybe she's forward planning

I'm always losing it with Mr SA, I try so hard not to but he can be so infuriating - especially when he shuffles into the kitchen dead on 7.30 if his dinner isn't ready.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £612.20
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,742 Thanks
    beanielou
    Your mum just wants to be organised

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 7th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 6,128 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Lucky, you are the least cowbag I know, you have so much patience with Mr L but your human and that uns low sometimes!

Hope your feet improve - do you have fitflops? they are amazing for PF.

xx
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 7th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks for being so kind all . I've been a bit more tolerant today after venting on here and then chewing my mate's ear off about it this morning!!

Mrs H, I do have fitflops - though I'm down to one pair after Oakley chewed 2 others . I also use sketchers which are better than normal shoes but not as good as fitflops.

Stomach is still all over the place .

Been in touch with our Utility company, as yet again I am in a ridiculous amount of credit. They are refunding me £100, which will really help us right now, but I'm still £250 in credit with them so no need to worry about winter bills either .

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,742 Thanks
    beanielou
    Would your energy supplier not refund more?
    Can you apply for the warm home discount?
    I applied for mine yesterday

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 7th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    They probably would've refunded more Beanie, but I just asked for the £100. At least I know more is there if I need it. We do get the Warm Homes Discount too Xx

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 8th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 16,523 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Yay to the utility credit PLMBL

Hope DH has been ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 23,325 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It's good you can vent on here and to your friend. I've got a work friend I often moan to and then there's here.

Great news you are so much in credit with utilities. I'm hoping my gas bill will go down now I've got the new boiler.
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 10th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Quick round up of the last few days.

Went to the party I was dreading and the person I didn't want to see didn't show up . Lovely night was therefore had by all. Got caught out by the camera though and some dubious photos are now on Facebook, proving how much weight I've gained back recently. Will be dieting again 100% after all the birthday celebrations of the next few days.

DH had a partial seizure when we got home from the party (at least it didn't happen while we were there), and he has looked wrecked since . His eyes have been like slits and he has been a bit slow. Fingers crossed he perks up soon.

My tablets continue to make me feel unwell. Might ring the doctors tomorrow and see if I'm supposed to stay on them.

DS1 had his first trip into town with his mates yesterday, which was a big milestone . He managed fine so all my maternal worry was a waste of time. However, it cost me £15 . Well, £13.97 because he had a whole £1.03 change .

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 10th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 16,523 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    So glad you have a great time at the party PLMBL. Hope DH comes round soon .

Im dreading the day the kids want to leave the village without me!!! Im glad he brought you some change back xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 10th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 21,893 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Glad to see you went to the party with your head held high.

Hope DH feels much better soon.

My DD started going to town a few years ago - she is now 14. The problem is she thinks the town is full of homeless and addicts as DH used to and I still do work with people who have addictions and/or homelessness so she thinks everyone is one or the other which is why she was a late starter in venturing off with her friends.

Her friends parents are terrible and some are still not allowed in to town - our big town is 10 miles from us so they have to be driven in.

I find that if children are born in a town then they are allowed into the town centre so much earlier in life. Even DH was allowed on the bus to town when he was 8 and that was 30 years ago.

The only problem I find with encouraging independence is that it costs a lot of money
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 23,325 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sorry to hear that Mr Lucky had a partial seizure, thankfully not at the party though. Glad the party was better than expected.

Also pleased to hear DS's trip into town went well. My two never bothered with town, although they made up for it in other ways but let's not go down that route! I think I was about 15 before I was allowed in town without my mum, although she was very protective of me as an only child, too protective at times, I think I missed out on a lot to be honest.
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,742 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on party
    Boo to OH.
    Take care.

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 10th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,673 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Great news on party
    Boo to OH.
    Take care.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    From me too x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 10th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks for all the lovely messages! DS1 is 13 on Tuesday. When I was 13 I was going out to pubs with my friend and her Mum . Really don't know a) how my Mum allowed it and b) how I was let in by the bouncers!! Think being well endowed in the chest department helped. Anyway, I look at DS1 at the same age and there is just no way! He went with 3 other mates and I dropped him off with them to get the bus together, as they all live about 4 miles away, nearer school. One of his friends is a girl, and despite her being a tomboy, I felt better knowing there was a (hopefully more sensible!) female influence going . The worst part was that there was an EDL demonstration going on in town, but they kept out of the way thankfully, and the police were in high presence. They were more interested in the 'geek shops' than the kerfuffle anyway .

I can't complain though, he was turning into a hermit staying in his room and playing online with his friends. I wanted him to get out and about.

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 23,325 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    LOL - you reminded me about getting into an X certificate film at 14 by wearing a low cut top and sticking my chest out By contrast I was thrown out of a pub at the same age.

I got away with half fare on the bus well into my 20s and was again thrown out of a pub on my 22nd birthday because I didn't look old enough to drink - one of the girls in our "gang" was 13 and not questioned!!
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

560Posts Today

4,974Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin