Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    • 8,017Posts
    • 44,125Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!
    • 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!! 6th Nov 14 at 4:53 PM
    This is my 2nd diary on MSE. My first diary, "When I asked for luck I didn't mean the bad variety!!" has to be closed as it's reached over 5000 posts!! It can be found here;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3911061

In 2011 my Husband had a motorcycle accident resulting in a severe brain injury, memory problems and Epilepsy. Unfortunately he is getting worse not better and I am now his full time Carer, which can be challenging, but I'm ever grateful he is still here! I also have 2 boys aged 10 and almost 5, a part time job and I'm currently a Beaver Leader but I've just given notice to leave at Christmas (as much as it pains me!) as I just can't manage that too. The last 3.5 years have been hard going for lots of reasons, but worth it. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day!!

At the time of the accident we owed over £23,700 on credit cards and we currently owe just over £3000. Hopefully this diary will see us getting debt free forever! I hope you'll join me.

Lucky Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in July - 1/5
    Lbs lost - 9
Page 174
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 10th Jul 17, 6:49 AM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 12,291 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Woo Hoo your back. Glad you had a super amazing time, I knew you would. xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Dave Ramsey babystep 1-£1000 Emergency fund- save £250/£200[/COLOR]
    School uniform £250/£250
    Save for summer £500/£370
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Jul 17, 8:57 PM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 21,048 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Welcome back xx So pleased you had a wonderful time. Great news about the $$$ left over, hope you get to keep the money not have to pay fine to school.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £424.05
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 44,125 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Think I'm finally starting to get over the jet lag!! Been unable to sleep at night and super tired all day, but slept properly last night and feel more human today .

'Only' put 2lbs on on holiday . Must've been all the walking round Universal Studios!

It's been a full on week of Sports Day (DS2), meetings for the next accademic year, school trips, school disco, and making a model of a hammerhead shark for a project . Don't know about the boys, but I'm certainly ready for the end of term .

I've booked us all a night away next weekend using some of my Carer's payment. We are doing a wildlife park then hotel stay, then a theme park en route home. Will do something else with the rest of the money later on in the year.

Won a free haircut, bath, blowdry and doggie towel for Oakley, so he's being pampered for free tomorrow .

Lbs lost - 9
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 14th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    • 6,929 Posts
    • 33,275 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Welcome back!! So so glad you had a great time.

And well done on the doggie freebies (did he even miss you??)
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    July '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [June 30%]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.07.17 02/100 ** LSDs Target 10 for July 02/10 **AFDs 18/25 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £140 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for July 03/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 21,048 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Tut tut that carer's payment should be for you and only you. However, if you have a fab day out with the family that will be great. Still wish you'd spend it on you though.

Brilliant news only 2lbs on
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 46,548 Posts
    • 165,467 Thanks
    beanielou
    Tut tut that carer's payment should be for you and only you. However, if you have a fab day out with the family that will be great. Still wish you'd spend it on you though.

Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Echoed by me on both counts
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 17th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 44,125 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky

Originally posted by Sun Addict
    When I was offered the Carer's payment last year, I had to say in advance what I would use it for. I could get my nails done, or my hair etc, but £600 seemed too much to 'waste' on just me when it would get us all away on holiday, so we used it for a trip to London/Legoland/Harry Potter Studios.

This year, they have tightened the criteria as to what it could be spent on, and short breaks are one of the few options. I would have probably gone for that again anyway, but it wasn't so much of a 'choice' this time. Our days/night away next weekend will cost about half of what I got, so will spend the other half later on in the year.

I'm very lucky this year that we have just been to Florida, and have a week in Yorkshire to look forward to in the Summer, but that is not 'normal' for us. Any time away is normally few and far between, so all breaks from reality are well received.

Thank you for being so caring though Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 17th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 44,125 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    4 more school days left .

Oakley had his free bath on Friday, and promptly rolled in fox poo today . Had to scrub him in the back garden and he no longer smells of delicious berries like he did when he came back from the doggie parlour, but thankfully he doesn't smell of fox poo now either!!

Been to DS1's school celebration assembly today, where he got a special award for History. Don't know who was more shocked, me or him .

Lbs lost - 9
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 46,548 Posts
    • 165,467 Thanks
    beanielou
    WEll done to DS for the award

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 18th Jul 17, 6:21 AM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 12,291 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    How lovely that DS got an award.

Hope you have a good day.x.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Dave Ramsey babystep 1-£1000 Emergency fund- save £250/£200[/COLOR]
    School uniform £250/£250
    Save for summer £500/£370
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th Jul 17, 7:50 AM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 15,005 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Well done to DS

Have a lovely day x

DFW £733.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £346.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £50 Amazon
    July 17 PA £216.52 + £25 Cash + £45 Amazon
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 21,048 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Well done to DS. Naughty Oakley, good job you didn't pay for the doggie parlour.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 18th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 44,125 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Evening!

Nice quiet day here today. DH went out with paramedic mate for a bit this morning and I sat in the sunshine in the garden. I was supposed to be doing ironing, but hey ho!

Lost 1.5lbs at chub club tonight .

Lbs lost - 9
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Jul 17, 4:44 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 44,125 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    'Challenging' day today with DH. He can't concentrate on what I'm saying, so lots of repetition, half finished conversations and having to give him instructions like a child. Frustrating to say the least . We've been into town and he's wandered round all the shops looking at the same things he did last time. Deja vu.

I'm feeling a bit down. The situation with DH hasn't helped, but also my foot problem is playing up badly again (not helped by Oakley chewing through my FitFlops last week so I can't wear them!). I'm really missing the Florida sunshine, and although I'm looking forward to the boys being off all summer, the money side of them being off is on my mind. Need to cheer up.

Lbs lost - 9
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 46,548 Posts
    • 165,467 Thanks
    beanielou
    Always easier said than done to cheer up.
    Keep plodding xx

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 21st Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 44,125 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Schools out for Summer . 45 days off according to DS2 .

DH has continued to be 'wishy-washy' since Wednesday. Today he has been having waves of fear and vacant spells. He has forgotten my name again .

I'm tired - of everything as well as in the physical sense.

Oakley was 1 yesterday! Time flies .

We had lunch with my Mum and sister today which was lovely Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 21st Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 21,048 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    That's gone quick - re Oakley being one!

Can sympathise with you re OH, Mr SA has been extra slurry, embarrassing in public as he sounds drunk It's very draining, I know how you feel xx
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

8,411Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin