Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    • 8,061Posts
    • 44,491Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!
    • 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!! 6th Nov 14 at 4:53 PM
    This is my 2nd diary on MSE. My first diary, "When I asked for luck I didn't mean the bad variety!!" has to be closed as it's reached over 5000 posts!! It can be found here;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3911061

In 2011 my Husband had a motorcycle accident resulting in a severe brain injury, memory problems and Epilepsy. Unfortunately he is getting worse not better and I am now his full time Carer, which can be challenging, but I'm ever grateful he is still here! I also have 2 boys aged 10 and almost 5, a part time job and I'm currently a Beaver Leader but I've just given notice to leave at Christmas (as much as it pains me!) as I just can't manage that too. The last 3.5 years have been hard going for lots of reasons, but worth it. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day!!

At the time of the accident we owed over £23,700 on credit cards and we currently owe just over £3000. Hopefully this diary will see us getting debt free forever! I hope you'll join me.

Lucky Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in August- 1/5
Page 167
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 12th May 17, 8:08 PM
    • 8,061 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Cash back has landed so transfered that, the £1.52, and an extra 94p to make it a straight £300 in the Florida pot . We've been granted USA ESTA (visa) access (phew!), so it's full steam ahead .

A guy was supposed to come this afternoon and pick up the dog cage I'm selling on gummytree but he hasn't shown up .

DH is angry and craving sweet things .

Took Oakley for his final doggy school session today. All went great apart from when he was on a super long lead and he managed to wrap my leg in it while he ran after a ball. I've lost a lot of skin on my ankle . Nasty friction burn .

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th May 17, 8:25 PM
    • 4,093 Posts
    • 22,010 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Ouch to the ankle and DH

But to Florida pot and visas arriving. Bet you're super excited, not long now.

Re dog cage, I think we used ours once, first night we got our dog she slept in it fine, second night she cried so much I caved in and put her in our bed - she slept all night in my arms. We sold it on eBay a couple of weeks later. Waste of money. People rave about them, say you must get one, never worked for us.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £424.05
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 12th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 8,061 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Same here with the cage SA. Oakley hated it from the minute he went in and we haven't used it since he was a tiny pup. It's just taking up space (even though it's collapsed) and is potential Florida money . 7 weeks today . Xx

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th May 17, 9:51 PM
    • 5,287 Posts
    • 15,813 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    One of our labradors used to be able to get out of his cage xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 14th May 17, 6:41 PM
    • 8,061 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Ankle has got infected . Trust me to need the Walk in Centre while all the NHS computers are down - I felt very guilty going while they were so stressed. Nurse says friction burn is very nasty and infection is obvious. She put a small dressing on it, but didn't want to cover my whole ankle as I need to keep an eye on the redness. If it travels any more I have to go straight to A&E as I'll need IV antibiotics . I'm limping really badly (probably not helped by still going to work last night ) and feel under the weather with a temperature etc.

Today has been a NSD so far. That might change if I end up at A&E.

Heard nothing from the guy who wanted the cage . Got some things ending on ebay tonight though so hoping to swell the Florida pot.

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th May 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 27,846 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Ankle has got infected . Trust me to need the Walk in Centre while all the NHS computers are down - I felt very guilty going while they were so stressed. Nurse says friction burn is very nasty and infection is obvious. She put a small dressing on it, but didn't want to cover my whole ankle as I need to keep an eye on the redness. If it travels any more I have to go straight to A&E as I'll need IV antibiotics . I'm limping really badly (probably not helped by still going to work last night ) and feel under the weather with a temperature etc.

Today has been a NSD so far. That might change if I end up at A&E.

Heard nothing from the guy who wanted the cage . Got some things ending on ebay tonight though so hoping to swell the Florida pot.
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Take care of yourself hun! That sounds serious
    OS Weight Loss 4.5/10
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 14th May 17, 7:53 PM
    • 7,012 Posts
    • 33,791 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Ditto. Take care and rest when you can x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    August '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [July 23.9 %]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.08.17 22/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for August 01/05 **AFDs 8/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £140 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for August xx/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th May 17, 9:18 PM
    • 46,770 Posts
    • 166,876 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thirded by me.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 15th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 12,635 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Oh dear, Lucky, sorry to hear your rope-burn got infected - did you clean up the wound when it happened?

Also sorry to hear Oakley didn't want to use his crate as a den. Feel a bit guilty about that as I did recommend you to buy it.. Shame it didn't work out, and hope selling it adds a decent contribution to your Florida pot!
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 15th May 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 6,086 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Hoping ankle is on the mend and you have had a busy day rather than being in A & E
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th May 17, 8:42 PM
    • 8,061 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Robin, I did clean it when I got home, about an hour after it happened, alas the infection must've already taken hold (or I didn't do it as well as I thought I did ). Have avoided A&E but have still felt unwell and quite tearful today . The infection doesn't seem to have travelled, and my limp is slightly better today. DH helped me clean the wound and put a fresh dressing on. I nearly passed out with the pain . Bless DS2, he's worried that my being 'infected' means I'm going to turn into a zombie .

2 out of 3 items sold on eBay last night and after fees/postage this gave me £26 for Florida pot. The items were donated by my lovely sister to sell, so pure profit .

Got our house insurance renewal letter today, so that's next on the 'to-do' list. £158 seems very high!! Sure I'll get it down Xx

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 4,093 Posts
    • 22,010 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oh Lucky, what an ordeal with your ankle You must try and rest.

Great news about the extra holiday funds though.

Our insurance renewal was £108, tried to get it cheaper using comparison sites but couldn't really better it so took their offer up. Last year I got it for £102 with a £100 M&S gift card.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £424.05
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 16th May 17, 10:59 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 6,086 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Hoping you are feeling better today, infections are horrible, makes you feel so yuk - instead of being busy, hoping you are resting, and drinking plenty of fluids, to flush it out the system, and plenty of protein, so that there is plenty of white blood cells to fight the infection.
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 16th May 17, 4:36 PM
    • 8,061 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks both. Been back to docs today as DH and MiL are worried about me. I've been very sleepy, not had an appetite (so not like me!), and generally feeling unwell. Rang GP who wanted me to go in and get checked out. I have a temperature and my BP is a little high but other tests seem ok. She took some bloods to see how high my infection markers are, and we'll get the results tomorrow, but in the meantime if I start feeling worse I have togo straight to hospital . I also had a tetanus and have new dressings on the wound.

Not going to chub club tonight but MiL is going to take DH so he can still get weighed. I'm saying nothing.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th May 17, 9:54 PM
    • 46,770 Posts
    • 166,876 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take care xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 16th May 17, 9:57 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 20,411 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hope you feel better soon

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 0.94% paid House Deposit Contribution: 72%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 17th May 17, 7:52 AM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 55,480 Thanks
    poohbear59
    I hope you feel better soon and are free from infection very soon. Thinking of you xxx
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 17th May 17, 3:49 PM
    • 5,287 Posts
    • 15,813 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh PLMBL, missed the bit about your ankle the other day. Sounds horrible, I do hope you are ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 17th May 17, 4:24 PM
    • 8,061 Posts
    • 44,491 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Cheers everyone. Doc phoned today to say that although my infection markers are high, they are not SO high that I need IV antibiotics. I feel a bit better in myself today anyway, so hoping the oral antibiotics are kicking in now. DH helpfully stabbed my wound with scissors (don't ask!!) so that knocked me sick earlier .

Got another couple of bags of clothes from my sister to sort through. Hopefully some to keep and some to sell .

Won a couple of tickets to a rugby festival in Newcastle this weekend but won't be using them so trying to offer them out on Facebook. It's a shame for them to go to waste. I normally don't enter competitions for things I wouldn't want to win, so not sure how I've managed it!!! At least the winning streak continues!

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 17th May 17, 5:11 PM
    • 7,012 Posts
    • 33,791 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Stabbed with scissors????!!

Glad you're taking a turn for the better
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    August '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [July 23.9 %]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.08.17 22/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for August 01/05 **AFDs 8/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £140 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for August xx/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,207Users online

Martin's Twitter