Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    • 7,985Posts
    • 43,914Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!
    • 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!! 6th Nov 14 at 4:53 PM
    This is my 2nd diary on MSE. My first diary, "When I asked for luck I didn't mean the bad variety!!" has to be closed as it's reached over 5000 posts!! It can be found here;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3911061

In 2011 my Husband had a motorcycle accident resulting in a severe brain injury, memory problems and Epilepsy. Unfortunately he is getting worse not better and I am now his full time Carer, which can be challenging, but I'm ever grateful he is still here! I also have 2 boys aged 10 and almost 5, a part time job and I'm currently a Beaver Leader but I've just given notice to leave at Christmas (as much as it pains me!) as I just can't manage that too. The last 3.5 years have been hard going for lots of reasons, but worth it. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day!!

At the time of the accident we owed over £23,700 on credit cards and we currently owe just over £3000. Hopefully this diary will see us getting debt free forever! I hope you'll join me.

Lucky Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in June - 2/5
    Florida spending 'pot' - £500/£1000
    Lbs lost - 9
Page 164
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    • 7,985 Posts
    • 43,914 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    No change there then on the bad luck front SA .

Have to laugh or I'll cry Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Apr 17, 10:03 PM
    • 46,257 Posts
    • 163,883 Thanks
    beanielou
    Eeek to the door.
    Mine has been cracked for years.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Apr 17, 10:09 PM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 20,337 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I think I must've broke a lot of mirrors ....
    Virtual Sealed Pot £339.72
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 14th Apr 17, 7:48 PM
    • 7,985 Posts
    • 43,914 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Not a very nice weather day here today, but it stayed dry just long enough for us to enjoy an hour or so at the Family Fun day at the racecourse. Spent £8, didn't win any of our bets (the only one we correctly chose was the one Mr Lucky was too busy faffing and didn't get it on in time), DS2 enjoyed the hot doughnuts and bouncy castles, DS1 moped around being miserable .

It's encouraged me to keep entering competitions anyway Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 20,337 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad you enjoyed it xx Pity about DS1 - it's his hormones unfortunately, everything will be boring, you have my sympathy
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 14th Apr 17, 9:22 PM
    • 7,985 Posts
    • 43,914 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks SA. He hates everything, doesn't want to go anywhere, is sarcastic and nasty and it's all our fault because we are 'mean' and just want to make him angry or upset apparently.

Lbs lost - 9
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 15th Apr 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,177 Posts
    • 12,523 Thanks
    *Robin*
    It's never boring at your place, is it Lucky?

The superstition about mirrors is very old.. Back in the day when glass-fronted mirrors were cutting edge technology, it probably did cost the equivalent of seven years' wages if a servant broke their master's mirror!
    Today.. Well, today we have Ike@ where replacement cost is more or less the same as a top-of-the-line dog jacket. An ask on Freecyc!e could produce a suitable freebie, of course.
    ..Main thing is that nobody got hurt in the mishap.

Your day at the races sounds fun, except for DS1 sulking. Are there any competitions offering prizes DS1 would enjoy (balloon rides, go-carting experience etc)? You definitely have the knack of winning competitions, Lucky.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 16th Apr 17, 5:57 PM
    • 7,985 Posts
    • 43,914 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Happy Easter everyone

Robin, thank you for your thoughtful reply. We did try Ikea online for the doors the day the mirror was cracked, but their standard size mirrored doors aren't tall enough for our high ceilings. The fitted wardrobes were in when we moved in, and I can't find any stickers or anything on the backs of the doors to say which company they were from. As the replacement door would have to match the other doors and outer edging, we are probably looking at replacing the whole front of the wardrobes, at a cost of about £400 . It might just have to stay broken!!!

I enter hundreds of competitions, always for things I would actually want to win, like cash, holidays, days out, things that would make a perfect gift etc. I do seem to win more local ones, as obviously less people enter those! We had been to a fun day at the races before and had a great day, as they had all kinds of fairground rides etc that were right up DS1's street, so I entered this competition in good faith that he would enjoy it. Unfortunately, the rides were very much scaled down this time and aimed towards younger children. You would think I had asked them to plan it that way to upset him! To be fair though, he's been better today and his friend has invited him for a sleepover tomorrow night .

I fell over while walking the dog this morning . I have a swollen knee and ankle, cuts and bruises. I'm ok, but limping and it hurts going upstairs as the cut on my knee breaks open each time. We were going to do an egg hunt at a National Trust place today, but I wasn't feeling up to it and then it started raining anyway so that made the decision easier! MiL came round here for lunch and I made a very un-Easterlike meal of Carribbean pepperpot beef . NSD#3.

Lbs lost - 9
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 16th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 5,168 Posts
    • 15,020 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh no to you having a fall PLMBL, can you lather your knee in coconut oil or baby oil or similar to stop it cracking open?

Glad DS has been better today, our DD2 is the same she thinks we purposely do things to be mean! Blooming kids!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 20,337 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Ouch to the knee Such an awkward place to have a cut as you have to keep bending it. Could you come up with something creative for the wardrobe front, not sure what but something to cover it that wouldn't look too out of place with the rest of the doors?
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Apr 17, 6:25 PM
    • 7,985 Posts
    • 43,914 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Knee is healing nicely, thanks Mummy and SA for your concern.

Quick catch up while I'm hiding upstairs from everyone. Not sure if they are all being extra annoying tonight or if I'm in a bad mood. Either way, it's best that I have a quick breather.

Lost 3.5lbs at chub club yesterday , hoping to do the same this week despite going out for lunch today! Spent £148 in Primarni but hopefully that's the boys all kitted out for holiday/Summer. Have to say, it doesn't seem as cheap in there as it once was, but perhaps that's because DS1 is now in mainly adult sizes?

All 4 passports now here Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 19th Apr 17, 6:36 PM
    • 5,168 Posts
    • 15,020 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Yay to the passports and the 3.5lb loss PLMBL

£148 in Primarni xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • hex2
    • By hex2 19th Apr 17, 8:07 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 79,292 Thanks
    hex2
    Hi,

de-lurking to say could you cover it with some stick on plastic mirror as a cheap and cheerful solution? You can buy cut to size stuff. I only know because of buying some for my car wing mirror in Halfords years ago, but I can see it on ebay as a £10 whole roll if you search for self adhesive mirror roll.

Sorry about the fall, sounds painful.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 7,985 Posts
    • 43,914 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Oooh, thanks for that hex2! Will check it out. It's the only full length mirror we have in the house, so it would be handy to still have one Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 20,337 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Didn't realise it was possible to spend that much in Primani!!!! Have they got any stock left

Well done on the weight loss. I bet your forthcoming holiday is a great incentive.

Glad all passports are back. Must get on with renewing ours.

Great idea from Hex, it's the sort of lines I was thinking along but didn't know what in particular.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Apr 17, 8:41 PM
    • 46,257 Posts
    • 163,883 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great loss
    I too think Primari prices going up & the quality is definatly on the down.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Apr 17, 8:47 PM
    • 7,985 Posts
    • 43,914 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I didn't know you could spend that much in Primarni either SA!! Both boys got several pairs of joggers, shorts, t-shirts, track suit style tops and DS1 got flip flops too. Dh got new undies, I got nothing!! A few things need to go back.

I'm having nightmares about being too fat to fit on the aeroplane/rides, or being miserable and grumpy in the heat. It's a definite incentive to lose weight!!

Lbs lost - 9
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 20th Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    • 7,985 Posts
    • 43,914 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Today has been a NSD , much needed after my embarrassing Primarni spend!! Apart from taking the dog for a decent walk we haven't been far, just enjoyed the nice weather in the garden. Mummy, I've had 3 loads dried on the line today .

£100 arrived from Utility company, so has gone into Florida pot . Nowhere near enough in there yet, and only 10 weeks to go .

Lbs lost - 9
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th Apr 17, 6:51 PM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 20,337 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Years ago my mum paid for us to go on holiday to a caravan in Devon. We were skint and couldn't afford to go away that year. It was lovely of my mum to do it but what she didn't realise that skint meant skint and we really struggled to come up with the spending money, petrol, clothes needed, etc. So I know how it is for you.

Well done on the NSD. You can't beat Primarni for cheap holiday clothes though. Mr SA always does well in there. Personally I struggle with finding clothes in there but always get some great sandals, got 2 pairs for my last holiday £3 a pair.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 21st Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 55,044 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Good luck with your savings for your holiday. Last year we were in a similar situation to you but somehow we managed. I did lots of surveys with prolific academic as they seem to pay better than others.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

8,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin