Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    • 8,082Posts
    • 44,588Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!
    • 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!! 6th Nov 14 at 4:53 PM
    This is my 2nd diary on MSE. My first diary, "When I asked for luck I didn't mean the bad variety!!" has to be closed as it's reached over 5000 posts!! It can be found here;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3911061

In 2011 my Husband had a motorcycle accident resulting in a severe brain injury, memory problems and Epilepsy. Unfortunately he is getting worse not better and I am now his full time Carer, which can be challenging, but I'm ever grateful he is still here! I also have 2 boys aged 10 and almost 5, a part time job and I'm currently a Beaver Leader but I've just given notice to leave at Christmas (as much as it pains me!) as I just can't manage that too. The last 3.5 years have been hard going for lots of reasons, but worth it. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day!!

At the time of the accident we owed over £23,700 on credit cards and we currently owe just over £3000. Hopefully this diary will see us getting debt free forever! I hope you'll join me.

Lucky Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in August- 1/5
Page 159
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Mar 17, 4:59 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,219 Thanks
    beanielou
    Poor doggie Good that he's eating, drinking and going to toilet though.

Boo to Mr Lucky being off colour and DS's illness plus other medical matters

Great news re the lotto
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Ditto from me
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 11th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Another disturbed night on the sofa last night, but overall Oakley is much more himself . His wounds look less fresh and he's more relaxed/less bewildered. The lack of sleep is starting to tell on me though, and I'm becoming more zombiefied as he's getting less so . I have an ulcer inside my mouth and lots of spots. So attractive. Not looking forward to work later, but these days I never am anyway .

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,219 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad Oakley is on the mend.

Time to think of yourself I think & give up work at least for the moment.
    Please think about it?

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 12th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Glad Oakley is on the mend.

Time to think of yourself I think & give up work at least for the moment.
    Please think about it?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I do think of it Beanie, lots and lots!! Feels like I should be able to just 'grin and bear it' for 3 hours per week though, when most other folks have to do so for 35 hours per week . Would hate to be thought of as lazy or a quitter . (Something I discovered through my counselling sessions was how much 'being the good girl/doing the right thing' means to me. Not for the praise, as I can't accept that readily, but for my own peace of mind). Not sure if what I'm trying to say is coming across here??

Managed almost 5 hours sleep last night . Oakley has been for a post op check at the vets today (free of charge thank goodness!), and he's still swollen but scars are healing well. Got to go back again next Sunday for what will hopefully be a final check up.

Still no NSD as I bought MiL a bottle of wine as a thank you for my new shoes. My feet were much better at work last night .

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,219 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are far far far from a quitter.

• Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 13th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    I do think of it Beanie, lots and lots!! Feels like I should be able to just 'grin and bear it' for 3 hours per week though, when most other folks have to do so for 35 hours per week . Would hate to be thought of as lazy or a quitter . (Something I discovered through my counselling sessions was how much 'being the good girl/doing the right thing' means to me. Not for the praise, as I can't accept that readily, but for my own peace of mind). Not sure if what I'm trying to say is coming across here??
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    I identify with this so much, was bought up to work hard and contribute to society, with a job etc, so not earning my own money has been a hard journey to accept. I am getting there though.

I echo Beanielou, is it time to stop, as from what I observe you are "working" very hard as a carer, wife and mummy...
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 14th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thank you for the support both of you . Still mulling it over.

DS1's turn to be poorly. He had his bottom braces fitted yesterday and the top ones tightened again. He's not coping well with the pain . That's the full house now, so praying everyone will be well for a little while.

Had a better sleep the last 2 nights but still shattered .

Going to start again at Fat Class as a new member later. There's a free joining voucher in one of the weekly magazines, so it won't cost me more than the normal weekly fee to start over (apart from the cost of the magazine which I'm hoping is less than £1). Feel like I need a fresh start and something positive to focus on.

Only had one item listed on ebay this week and it didn't sell. Going to list a few more things today while stuck in the house with DS1.

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 14th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 5,320 Posts
    • 15,939 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh no to the illness PLMBL, I've got DD2 off today and school were telling me they had quite a few off yesterday . Poor DS, I had braces and it does hurt when they are tightened. Your teeth almost feel sore.

Heres to better sleep again tonight xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks Mummy, he's back to school today as it's still uncomfortable but not sore apparently! Hope your DD2 is better today.

Rejoined chub club as a new member last night, so a fresh start to make a go of it again. Back up to humongous stones, so need to get cracking again. Woman mag cost £1 for free joining voucher, which saved me £5, so £4 saved overall.

Feeling a bid odd at the minute, almost worried really. Feel like something bad might happen but absolutely no reason for it . We've come through a dodgy week where everyone has been unwell in some way or another, but all is well again now (apart from Oakley who is still in recovery). Not sure why I can't just feel glad it's all over?

So, in a bid to feel more positive, today I will;
    Stick to healthy eating
    Do something kind
    Do something money making

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,219 Thanks
    beanielou
    I feel exactly the same
    Not sure what it's all about either.

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Mar 17, 7:50 PM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Well the day didn't exactly go to plan. Discovered a rather large lump, about the size of half a tennis ball, on Oakley's neck . Trip to the vets this afternoon and he has an infection in the site of his anaesthetic needles from the operation. £30 later and he's got more drugs .

Did manage to stick to healthy eating .

Only managed to walk MiL's dog for her as my 'something kind'. Quite poor really.

Haven't made any money either (too busy spending it at the vets ), but have sourced a £5 off coupon for a new Icel@nd store that's just opened near us, so that's a plan in progress.

Will try again tomorrow.

Beanie, sorry you feel that way too. Perhaps it's the moon or something??? Xx

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,219 Thanks
    beanielou
    Poor Oakley & poor you.

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 22,164 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oh no poor Oakley Bless him. It's one thing after another for you at the minute isn't it Big hugs xx

Good idea to start afresh with slimming club, draw a line under it and start again.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £547.82
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 15th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 27,897 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hold on - the vet made a muck up and you are having to pay for it?
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hold on - the vet made a muck up and you are having to pay for it?
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    Don't think they see it that way . Come to think of it, she said reaction to needle site more than she said infection! Probably covers their backs.

They were kind enough not to charge me a consultation fee though Xx

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,219 Thanks
    beanielou
    Don't think they see it that way . Come to think of it, she said reaction to needle site more than she said infection! Probably covers their backs.

They were kind enough not to charge me a consultation fee though Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Oh jolly good

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Just realised tax credits have been paid under tomorrow's date rather than Friday due to St Paddy's Day . Makes things a bit easier after today's unexpected expense! Xx

• Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 16th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Poor Ockley, hope he and you are having a better day today.

Sometimes when a lot is being thrown our way, and you have had a week of it, your body reacts with that subconscious feeling of anxiousness as its had enough... my tip, accept and think it will pass...
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 18th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks BM. Feeling a wee bit better now Xx

Today marks a whole year of DH being TC seizure free!! He has had other types of seizures in that time of course, but not the really big full body convulsions . I thought he'd be happier than he is today, but he's feeling a bit sorry for himself as although he's reached such a huge milestone, he doesn't feel anything has changed in terms of being able to drive or work again. I'm just pleased to have not gone through a TC seizure in so long!

Oakley's lump has decreased dramatically, so tablets are working thank goodness. At least the £30 spent was worth it! He's back for what will hopefully be a final post op check at the vets tomorrow, and then fingers crossed we will be back to normal walks and no cone of shame!!

Feeling the pinch again money wise. We have a tight week coming up, so hoping for as many NSD's as possible. I submitted my gas reading this morning (we have a smart meter for electricity) and when I checked online we are in quite a bit of credit, so I called them and asked for £50 to be sent back to me. I could've asked for more but at least I know it's there if I need it. Apparently it will take up to 10 working days to reach my back acount though .

Got 14p interest on my ISA that I hardly use . And a £1.79 refund for something that I ordered on eBay, but a mix up at the sellers end meant they delivered the wrong item. They sent, wait for it.....two bags of plastic willy shaped whistles instead . Anyone need about 50 pink phallic whistles????

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 22,164 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Well done to Mr Lucky - a whole year that is great, even if he doesn't think so. Mr SA will know where he's coming from re the work and driving - it's hard for them to accept, they can't see how lucky they are just to still be here.

LOL re the whistles, must have been destined for a hen do!

Glad Oakley is getting better xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot £547.82
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,034Posts Today

8,867Users online

Martin's Twitter