Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Nov 14, 2:19 PM
    • 49,063Posts
    • 182,209Thanks
    beanielou
    Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou.
    • 4th Nov 14, 2:19 PM
    Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou. 4th Nov 14 at 2:19 PM
    My first thread on the MFW board!!
    My mortgage has 6 & 1/2 years left to run.
    My income seems to decrease more & more & it becomes more & and more of a challange to pay my hefty(to me) mortgage.
    I have managed an overpayment last month as I got some £££'s unexpectedly.
    My biggest fear is not being able to pay my mortgage & loosing my home.
    So I have decided that baby steps are the way forward~even a fiver or a tenner overpaid in a month is better than nothing.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
Page 157
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 1st Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,928 Thanks
    ZTD
    I know the problem of me getting so stressed about it ( as I think you know) is having a so called assessment & being told I had nothing wrong with me. So I lost half my income for a while before it was sorted out.
    That had such an impact on my physical & mental health it was just dire. So people tell me not to worry but unfortunatly I do. In a way it is worse now as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel in a way.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    The hardest thing in the world is to deliberately "not learn a lesson". However, what you are doing to avoid the same kind of hard knock to the system is to replace it with a long drawn-out agony. That's no good either. In fact it's probably less good for you.

Apologies for the essay.
    It's explaining yourself...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Dec 17, 6:23 PM
    • 49,063 Posts
    • 182,209 Thanks
    beanielou
    The hardest thing in the world is to deliberately "not learn a lesson". However, what you are doing to avoid the same kind of hard knock to the system is to replace it with a long drawn-out agony. That's no good either. In fact it's probably less good for you.

It's explaining yourself...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    This is true Z but I cant see how to deal with it any other way?
    Thoughts?

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Someone mentioned kittens and I appeared

Absolutely right to cut yourself some slack. Hate hairy shirts, unless they are made of kittens.

*subscribed*
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 49,063 Posts
    • 182,209 Thanks
    beanielou
    Welcome fellow kitten lover

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 1st Dec 17, 10:03 PM
    • 4,738 Posts
    • 26,835 Thanks
    in need of direction
    echoing what maddie may and the others have said. Although, given that I had to stop mortgage OPs earlier this year, i really do feel your pain. g
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 2nd Dec 17, 8:43 AM
    • 6,736 Posts
    • 41,650 Thanks
    Pooky
    I think the sensible thing to do is make yourself “future proof”. Stop OPing the mortgage for now and start popping those funds away. The mortgage is decreasing with each normal payment anyway and having some back up funds to protect you against any income stoppages or shortages will give you the peace of mind you need.

Maybe set a limit of 6 months mortgage payments worth of funds in the account and when you’ve saved that much you could make a small OP just to keep things ticking over. Then if the poop does hit the fan you know you’re ok whilst you sort it out.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 2nd Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 21,426 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I think Pooky's advice is excellent Beanie. That's what I'd do in your situation.

Hope you're on the mend.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 2.4% paid House Deposit Contribution: 88% Emergency Fund: 57%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 2nd Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,928 Thanks
    ZTD
    This is true Z but I cant see how to deal with it any other way?
    You're going to have to travel the most difficult route of all - the middle ground. Stop grinding yourself down with overpayments and get yourself a buffer. Once you have a buffer, your stress will drop and you can OP once more.

Thoughts?
    Thinking!?

Steady on..!
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 28,185 Posts
    • 155,289 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Beanie, I'm with the concensus - stop overpaying for now, and create a buffer of savings. You *need* to be a bit/a lot kind to yourself. You worry a lot, so you also need some way of channelling that emotional energy - into something productive, or just away from you.

There's research somewhere that **visualising** exercise gets you an appreciable amount of physical benefit, something like 40% compared to when you're actually exercising? That would help with stopping worrying, too.

One thing that helps me is to write out lists, whether it's of what I want to achieve, long term goals, immediate tasks, renovations in the house, social plans, anything. It just helps when it isn't whirring about inside my head ...

HTH
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 2nd Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,928 Thanks
    ZTD
    So people tell me not to worry but unfortunatly I do.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 49,063 Posts
    • 182,209 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thank you all for your very valuable input.
    Appreciated.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 49,063 Posts
    • 182,209 Thanks
    beanielou
    I had lovely pizza today.
    Wood fired.
    Was awsome, a treat from a friend, from a new place open in our villiage.
    I hope they do well.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Nice to hear you had a nice treat Beanie. Much deserved after your recent difficulties. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,475
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 2nd Dec 17, 9:08 PM
    • 4,746 Posts
    • 28,249 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad you enjoyed your pizza

Also glad you decided to take a break from the mortgage overpayments.

Take care and think of kittens xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 49,063 Posts
    • 182,209 Thanks
    beanielou
    Kittens

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Dec 17, 4:44 PM
    • 49,063 Posts
    • 182,209 Thanks
    beanielou
    My furry friend has unwelcome visitors.
    First time in many many years his flea injections are not up to date & here we are

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 3rd Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,928 Thanks
    ZTD
    My furry friend has unwelcome visitors.
    First time in many many years his flea injections are not up to date & here we are
    Well, at least you now know the injections work, and you weren't wasting your money...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Dec 17, 5:37 PM
    • 49,063 Posts
    • 182,209 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well, at least you now know the injections work, and you weren't wasting your money...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Yes, indeed.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 49,063 Posts
    • 182,209 Thanks
    beanielou
    Today's wee update.
    Not so cold today.
    I managed to my chair yoga for the first in 4 weeks and feel more human & not so tired

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    • 4,746 Posts
    • 28,249 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Been mild here today too.

Glad you feel better

Thanks for reminding me I need to ask DD to pick up the dog's flea stuff from the vets.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,720Posts Today

5,970Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin