Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Nov 14, 2:19 PM
    • 47,867Posts
    • 173,899Thanks
    beanielou
    Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou.
    • 4th Nov 14, 2:19 PM
    Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou. 4th Nov 14 at 2:19 PM
    My first thread on the MFW board!!
    My mortgage has 6 & 1/2 years left to run.
    My income seems to decrease more & more & it becomes more & and more of a challange to pay my hefty(to me) mortgage.
    I have managed an overpayment last month as I got some £££'s unexpectedly.
    My biggest fear is not being able to pay my mortgage & loosing my home.
    So I have decided that baby steps are the way forward~even a fiver or a tenner overpaid in a month is better than nothing.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
Page 142
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 10th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,465 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Guessing thast the cost of the hoist fitting depends on the car it's being fitted to although could be wrong on that? Some thoughts though
    - have you contacted the motobility people about potentially needing to get the car changed? If I remember correctly the scheme is meant to take account of the fact that folk have changing needs.
    - Where is the quote you've had for getting the hoist fitted from? if main dealer then ask in the mobility shop whether they have suppliers & fitters they can recommend?
    - As a short term measure might one of the wheeled walker frames with the seat fitted be a help? Means when you are out and about you can at least stop and take the weight off if you need to without having to try to find a chair? That in turn might allow you to do more and so stay more active without getting yourself to the point of exhaustion that I imagine makes falls more likely? (And I imagine would be light enough to easily get in and out of the car?)

I'm certain there is a solution out there - we just have to find it.

No assassins here, thank goodness!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 9,165 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Essex is right. There is a solution out there but sorry you are having it tough right now (())
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    Beanie, so sorry the times are so troubled for you I wish I knew a way forward that would help.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Well, looking on the bright side I can hardly spend any of the money that I dont have as I am stuck really on the shopping front.
    Every cloud & all that..........

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    Guessing thast the cost of the hoist fitting depends on the car it's being fitted to although could be wrong on that? Some thoughts though
    - have you contacted the motobility people about potentially needing to get the car changed? If I remember correctly the scheme is meant to take account of the fact that folk have changing needs.
    - Where is the quote you've had for getting the hoist fitted from? if main dealer then ask in the mobility shop whether they have suppliers & fitters they can recommend?
    - As a short term measure might one of the wheeled walker frames with the seat fitted be a help? Means when you are out and about you can at least stop and take the weight off if you need to without having to try to find a chair? That in turn might allow you to do more and so stay more active without getting yourself to the point of exhaustion that I imagine makes falls more likely? (And I imagine would be light enough to easily get in and out of the car?)

I'm certain there is a solution out there - we just have to find it.

No assassins here, thank goodness!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Great to see you EH.
    I think the key to the problem is that I did not think when I ordered car In May that I needed a scooter or a hoist.
    If that had been the case the whole thing would have been so much easier as it is fitted to car through Motability & is much cheaper & easier than doing after delivery.

At the moment my head hurts with it all & I am not coping very well. The black dog is lurking
    You know when I was a teenager I was told I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 40 & it seemed so old.
    Now I am 55 & feel old.
    I have always battled as much as I can but I feel I am running out of fight.
    But my mantra has always been stand down 7 times & stand up 8.

Apologies this diary should be about paying off my mortgage & not moaning.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    Essex is right. There is a solution out there but sorry you are having it tough right now (())
    Originally posted by doingitanyway

Thank you

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 17, 4:06 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    Today I went to the post office & the ironmongers & I am just done.
    Off for a rest now.

• michelle09
    • By michelle09 10th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    michelle09
    I'm so sorry beanie. Hope things improve for you.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 10th Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 20,960 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Stay strong Beanie - there's always a way and I feel sure one will present itself.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 1.2% paid House Deposit Contribution: 80%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    I'm so sorry beanie. Hope things improve for you.
    Originally posted by michelle09
    Stay strong Beanie - there's always a way and I feel sure one will present itself.

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Thank you both.

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 23,171 Posts
    • 40,095 Thanks
    ZTD
    Great to see you EH.
    I think the key to the problem is that I did not think when I ordered car In May that I needed a scooter or a hoist.
    If that had been the case the whole thing would have been so much easier as it is fitted to car through Motability & is much cheaper & easier than doing after delivery.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Well, you need to get on the phone to Motability and see what they say. They may have a whole department set up for this sort of situation which we don't know about.

At the moment my head hurts with it all & I am not coping very well. The black dog is lurking

You know when I was a teenager I was told I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 40 & it seemed so old.
    Now I am 55 & feel old.
    Maybe feeling things right now - but still not in a wheelchair.

Things will improve. A bad fall will knock your confidence, but you do need to get back on your feet. Fear will rob you of more than actual weakness will.

It's a diary about you, whatever you want to talk about. Whether it be ninjas in the back garden or whatever you want.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not to worry Mr Magificant Wheelchair Pusher.
    I am moving about as much as I can.
    My capabilities are much reduced though from the Burgh.
    Which seems a very long time ago.
    Pass the gin

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 23,171 Posts
    • 40,095 Thanks
    ZTD
    Not to worry Mr Magificant Wheelchair Pusher.
    I am moving about as much as I can.
    My capabilities are much reduced though from the Burgh.
    I've fallen apart since then, so you're not the only one.

Which seems a very long time ago.
    It does.

Pass the gin
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 17, 9:13 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear that my friend.
    What are we like
    Well at least we have our cars

• Butti
    • By Butti 11th Oct 17, 12:06 AM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 11,812 Thanks
    Butti

Now I am 55 & feel old.

I don't know what to say Beanie. I so admire you and your resolve. The black dog is so different for each person and what works for one doesn't work for another.

As Zed says your diary can be what you want, it's not JK Rowlings latest work y'know!

I was thinking of you at work this afternoon. One of our members of sales staff had 'allegedly' told a tenant that she hadn't got a parking space because the sales properties next door had two each. This is a hilly site with houses specifically for those with mobility issues and a bus stop about half a mile away! I had to send a carefully worded email .....while I was actually thinking what a f*cking cruel thing to do to someone with mobility problems, just throw a whole heap of stress at them. Just really horrible and if true very unnecessary.

Since Edinburgh I have head butted a bedside cabinet breaking my nose and broken by thumb in a car door. You're not alone, particularly if there's an assassin in the back garden!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/14) £9127 (2/15N )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD June 2/7
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 4,451 Posts
    • 24,911 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    As a plan B have you considered a motorised wheelchair? I've seen quite a few around this week and they look quite portable.

Sorry to hear you feel so fed up. In your words keep plodding xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    October NSD 6/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 11th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 6,713 Posts
    • 41,433 Thanks
    Pooky
    We swapped cars on the scheme when we had to have a hoist fitted, up until that point I'd been lifting the scooter or wheel chair in and out. The hoists are only suitable for certain cars but the dealerships will let you know which ones are suitable. The hoists are fitted when you order the car, subsidised heavily by motability and all you need to do is take along your scooter/chair and they will fit the lifting bar to it for you whilst you finish your paperwork. All nice and easy.

Motability couldn't have been more helpful when we needed to do this, we'd had our car just over a year and because it was a change of circumstances they did it all without a cancellation charge.

Please ring them and have a chat, it's far easier than it sounds - they won't care how long you've had your new car, you've had a change of circumstance and they are there to help.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 11th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Sorry I've not contributed to the discussion - I don't know much about such things and didn't want to come across as either ignorant or patronising. I do feel for you, though, and hope that the crapness subsides very soon. Keep going gal x
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF.
    Current balance £116,149.98. Offset £1,236. £114,913.98 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Bring it on!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    I don't know what to say Beanie. I so admire you and your resolve. The black dog is so different for each person and what works for one doesn't work for another.

As Zed says your diary can be what you want, it's not JK Rowlings latest work y'know!

I was thinking of you at work this afternoon. One of our members of sales staff had 'allegedly' told a tenant that she hadn't got a parking space because the sales properties next door had two each. This is a hilly site with houses specifically for those with mobility issues and a bus stop about half a mile away! I had to send a carefully worded email .....while I was actually thinking what a f*cking cruel thing to do to someone with mobility problems, just throw a whole heap of stress at them. Just really horrible and if true very unnecessary.

Since Edinburgh I have head butted a bedside cabinet breaking my nose and broken by thumb in a car door. You're not alone, particularly if there's an assassin in the back garden!
    Originally posted by Butti
    Thank you Butti for always being around & making me laugh.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 3:25 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    As a plan B have you considered a motorised wheelchair? I've seen quite a few around this week and they look quite portable.

Sorry to hear you feel so fed up. In your words keep plodding xx
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    I will keep plodding SA, thanks xx
    Lucky you in the heat.
    Cold here today. My nose is cold.
    Cant afford to have the heating on all the time though
    Butti~~can you knit me something for a wee cold nose

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thank you Pooky & Betterthannever.

Going to GP later.
    Wiil see what his thoughts are & if I can maybe increase the black dog pills!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,923Posts Today

5,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin