Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Nov 14, 2:19 PM
    • 48,483Posts
    • 178,345Thanks
    beanielou
    Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou.
    • 4th Nov 14, 2:19 PM
    Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou. 4th Nov 14 at 2:19 PM
    My first thread on the MFW board!!
    My mortgage has 6 & 1/2 years left to run.
    My income seems to decrease more & more & it becomes more & and more of a challange to pay my hefty(to me) mortgage.
    I have managed an overpayment last month as I got some £££'s unexpectedly.
    My biggest fear is not being able to pay my mortgage & loosing my home.
    So I have decided that baby steps are the way forward~even a fiver or a tenner overpaid in a month is better than nothing.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
Page 116
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 9,668 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    WEnt to a Waitrose yesterday.
    A tad pricy for me it has to be said
    Originally posted by beanielou
    But excellent reductions Beanie I got some lovely flowers on Saturday for 19p that were £3.25 and they are still going strong
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,490
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jun 17, 7:21 PM
    • 23,251 Posts
    • 40,565 Thanks
    ZTD
    Very gloomy & wet here.
    None to warm either.
    WEnt to a Waitrose yesterday.
    A tad pricy for me it has to be said
    What are a good price are their bags-for-life. Buy a bundle, then shop at Aldi.

Appearance is important...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • jwil
    • By jwil 7th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 21,938 Thanks
    jwil

Right.
    Can I please pick your brains.
    My patio doors cracked.
    One of my friends is now concerned that if I fall against them they could shatter & cause me a mischief.
    Thoughts please?
    Delurking...

If you are worried about the glass but can't get it replaced at the moment, you can buy film to put on the glass to stop it shattering.

This sort of thing:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DIY-Tools/Luxico-Clear-Safety-Security-Window-Shatter-Protection/B002QEXRCG
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Delurking...

If you are worried about the glass but can't get it replaced at the moment, you can buy film to put on the glass to stop it shattering.

This sort of thing:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DIY-Tools/Luxico-Clear-Safety-Security-Window-Shatter-Protection/B002QEXRCG
    Originally posted by jwil
    Blimey who know.
    Thanks for delurking

Have no clue who to vote for tomorrow.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Feeling out of sorts it has to be said.
    Just not at my best.
    Many reasons but will keep plodding.

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Jun 17, 8:57 PM
    • 23,251 Posts
    • 40,565 Thanks
    ZTD
    Well don't forget, that if you feel the need to vote, but they seem like choosing the best nose bleed, you can always vote for Mr. Spoiled Ballot.

Just make sure that whatever you put on is short and memorable.

Feeling out of sorts it has to be said.
    Just not at my best.
    Many reasons but will keep plodding.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 7th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 11,930 Thanks
    Butti
    Blimey who know.
    Thanks for delurking

You can swap your vote Beanie. Give your vote to someone else in a consituency where it makes a difference and they give you their's.

Does that help? If not - sorry!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/14) £9127 (2/15N )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD June 2/7
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 154,145 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I've spoiled my vote in the past, beanie, as Z mentions - I hope that some politician will wonder, sooner or later, why do people make the effort to go to the polling station and then not vote for an individual? It's worth thinking of, though I think tomorrow I'll be voting tactically, in the forlorn hope that a human being might get in.

Would that I could magically transfer my vote to the constituency where my friend is standing
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Funnily enough I also know someone standing elsewhere.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Funnily enough I also have a friend standing in another ward.

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Jun 17, 10:47 PM
    • 23,251 Posts
    • 40,565 Thanks
    ZTD
    I've spoiled my vote in the past, beanie, as Z mentions - I hope that some politician will wonder, sooner or later, why do people make the effort to go to the polling station and then not vote for an individual?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    They don't care - so long as they get in.

Low turnouts panic the main parties (not the candidates) as it is a sign that the "footballisation" ('tis a word ) of supporting "your team" through thick and thin isn't working, and so the minnows may start to make headway.

A bit like Ackrington Stanley winning the Cup.

It's worth thinking of, though I think tomorrow I'll be voting tactically, in the forlorn hope that a human being might get in.
    You have a human standing? Doesn't need to happen where I live. If a red rosette falls onto a dog's breakfast here, then that's our MP...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 8th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 42,615 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Writing anything onto a ballot paper is pointless really - the spoiled votes simply get counted as "spoiled" - they don't get read individually, nor do they get passed on to anyone who DOES read them. If you have a genuine protest a spoiled vote is a good way of making that point, (although not specifically) but to use the ballot paper in that way simply because you can't decide who to vote for is simply a waste of your own time in walking to the polling station, and the counting team's time in having to count it.

Vote - or don't vote - it is that choice that underpins our democracy and that which people fought to gain for all levels of society. Make it a reasoned, considered decision though, don't fail to vote simply through apathy.

That glass film is good Beanie - it will certainly help to hold a cracked pane together if you did fall against it.

Z - we're extremely fortunate in our local MP thankfully - a high number of folk in our area will vote for him even though they would never previously have dreamed of voting for his party, as a result of his efforts and hard work since getting elected first time round.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Voted tactically.
    Is all.
    Raining cats & dogs.

Fell at the bleeping court
    Is all. ( & sore)

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    • 23,251 Posts
    • 40,565 Thanks
    ZTD
    Writing anything onto a ballot paper is pointless really - the spoiled votes simply get counted as "spoiled" - they don't get read individually, nor do they get passed on to anyone who DOES read them.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    They're read by the counter, who (if you're sufficiently witty) may have a dreary evening livened up...

If you have a genuine protest a spoiled vote is a good way of making that point, (although not specifically) but to use the ballot paper in that way simply because you can't decide who to vote for is simply a waste of your own time in walking to the polling station, and the counting team's time in having to count it.

Vote - or don't vote - it is that choice that underpins our democracy and that which people fought to gain for all levels of society. Make it a reasoned, considered decision though, don't fail to vote simply through apathy.
    So if you haven't voted, is that through apathy or through not liking a single candidate over the rest? You seem to be encouraging apathy in both instances.

Z - we're extremely fortunate in our local MP thankfully - a high number of folk in our area will vote for him even though they would never previously have dreamed of voting for his party, as a result of his efforts and hard work since getting elected first time round.
    That's good. It's nice to see that not all MPs are troughers...

Voted tactically.
    Is all.
    Raining cats & dogs.

Is all. ( & sore)
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 9th Jun 17, 5:28 AM
    • 16,454 Posts
    • 107,802 Thanks
    gallygirl
    It's worth thinking of, though I think tomorrow I'll be voting tactically, in the forlorn hope that a human being might get in.
    Don't think that worked KC
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 28,042 Posts
    • 154,145 Thanks
    Karmacat
    They're read by the counter, who (if you're sufficiently witty) may have a dreary evening livened up...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Thanks for making some input on that, Z

Don't think that worked KC
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    You're right, Gally, it didn't. The party-I-object-to got 56.9% of the vote, MP duly re-elected.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 9th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 14,542 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Voted tactically.
    Is all.
    Raining cats & dogs.

Is all. ( & sore)

Loan (£20k) current balance: -£770
    IO Mortgage current balance: -£89,660

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    My tactical voting failed.
    Some big surprises overall.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Tactical voting did not work here
    The whole situation is dire.

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 4,616 Posts
    • 26,339 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    My mum used to vote for whoever she thought might lose their deposit, bless her I voted for the person who does the most for us in our local area.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,511Users online

Martin's Twitter