Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AleMrsT
    • By AleMrsT 4th Nov 14, 12:03 PM
    • 482Posts
    • 1,190Thanks
    AleMrsT
    Mini meltdown and light bulb moment
    • 4th Nov 14, 12:03 PM
    Mini meltdown and light bulb moment 4th Nov 14 at 12:03 PM
    Hi everyone,
    I posted on the forum yesterday and after some soul searching, I have contacted Step Change and am now in the initial stages of sorting a Debt Management Plan. The guy was really helpful, and said I am definitely taking the right steps for the circumstances, and I need to put me first.
    To get it all out in the open and off my chest is going to be the second box ticked on my 'getting my life on track' checklist.
    Number one was admitting that I cannot do this any more. I can't work full time any more, and I can't carry on getting in debt to pay debt.
    With my health deteriorating, I knew I needed to do something, but knew too that I just could not afford part time wages.
    I've figured it out so that I can reduce my hours by one day a week, meaning less sick days overall, so not too much of a pay reduction, but still less money than I need to service my debts with the increasing interest.
    So, Step Change are putting me on Debt Management Plan, it will take me a long time to pay it all off, but least it will be manageable, affordable and I wont have any more mini meltdowns.

The next step is to have a big chat with the OH, which is the part I'm looking forward to the least. I married him knowing he has an IVA, and that he has 'around 15000' of debt, but I have no idea about anything else, when it will be paid off, how much he's paying, etc, so I want us to sit and have an open chat about the complete bigger picture, so that we can really start to get to grips with everything. I also want to encourage him to embrace being more frugal, I have really tried, I've saved on food shopping by cooking from scratch, with using up what we have, and selling things on ebay to raise money for Christmas, but he's bought a coffee machine, sofa cushions and a wii U, which has thoroughly CHEESED ME OFF. So, a big chat is needed there. (to be fair, I agreed to the Wii U, he had a bonus from work and we have sold the Wii).
    I already feel a bit better, I'm off to Barclays this afternoon to set up a 'basic cash card account' so that I can transfer my PayPal funds and start my (long) debt free journey.
    I will try and update here when I can, but figures as at today are (taken off my Noddle credit report, not called for accurate balances from bank or CC company):
    Loan 2176
    OD 1050 (this is my OD limit, no idea how far into it I am, I daren't look!)
    N CC 2389
    H CC 1971
    TOTAL 7586.

I am so looking forward to having a bank account without a negative balance!!
    Last edited by AleMrsT; 06-11-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Page 21
    • AleMrsT
    • By AleMrsT 1st May 17, 4:33 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    AleMrsT
    Little bank holiday update! I have joined a gym (99 for a whole years membership, including classes so it was super cheap!) I'm hoping it will keep me on track as my colleague also joined so hopefully we'll be able to go together. Looking forward to getting in there tomorrow! Since last week I have lost 2lbs, and today I have paid 53.44 off the holiday balance to round it off to 1500 left to pay. I have also moved some money into my savings account to cover the hen do at the end of the month. If I dont spend it all I will pay it off the holiday. I've been out this afternoon with my mum and my niece, now home to read a few chapters of my book whilst hubby is asleep after a night shift last night.
    Debt @ LBM Nov 2014 = 7586.85
    DEBT @ Start of DMP Jan 2015 7202.85 now 4970.26
    Italy 2018 1961.44/461.44 paid
    Weight loss target 35lbs: 4lbs lost/31lbs to go
    • AleMrsT
    • By AleMrsT 1st May 17, 4:35 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    AleMrsT
    Oh and my debt is finally under 5000!
    • AleMrsT
    • By AleMrsT 9th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    AleMrsT
    I'm down to the last 25 in my bank account, I don't think I'll last until the end of the month with it so I may have to dip into the savings but I really didnt want to do that as its for the hen do and paying off the holiday. I think I've been very optimistic with my budgeting this month, particularly as I have spent 99 on the gym membership and 84 in NewLook on two dresses, a jacket and some shoes that I really didnt need. I was intending to return one of the dresses and the jacket but have decided to keep them as I have another birthday party, a hen do and a wedding coming up, and the only other clothes I've bought this year have been work tops and gym stuff from primark. I also transferred 200 to my savings account which is very generous for the hen do considering the only thing to pay for is lunch and drinks, but I wanted to be able to pay the majority of it towards the holiday. I feel like I've failed already with paying for the holiday but looking back I dont think I have really as I initially wanted to pay 100 per month and I've put 200 into savings and have already paid 54 off this month.

I'm pleased to say I have been making use of the gym membership and I'm really enjoying it! I mainly book onto the classes which are included, so its proving good value for money so far. I went to the main gym after work on Friday but only stayed for 20 minutes, then I did body pump on saturday morning (I actually set an alarm and got out of bed before 10am on a Saturday out of choice!), I did zumba last night and I did a hiit session at home on Wednesday. I'm planning to do the same this week, although I'll probably skip the friday night gym session and I'll just do a work out at home instead tomorrow and book onto an extra class on Tuesday next week. Its weigh day tomorrow but I checked on Monday and I think I've lost another pound too, so far so good

Off to catch up on diaries and read a few more chapters of my book until OH gets home at 11.30. I'm looking after niece number 2 tomorrow as my sister has a new job so an early start for a Wednesday.
    Last edited by AleMrsT; 09-05-2017 at 8:29 PM.
    • AleMrsT
    • By AleMrsT 17th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    AleMrsT
    So my enthusiasm for the gym hasn't waived, I've been going 3 times a week since joining, I'm so proud of myself! Its my day off today so I've had a lie in and am going to get on with the cleaning and ironing, its a miserable day outside so a perfect day to get the house sparkling again. I had to give in and transfer some money from my savings account to my current account as I don't have an overdraft facility, I have 170 left in savings and 30 in my current account, payday is two weeks today. We may need to do a food shop as we have no meat left in the freezer, the only problem with eating better is having to restock the fridge so often with fresh produce, but as I'm eating better I've found I'm less hungry overall so we're not having to buy all of the random junk snacks that we previously used to buy.

We've had a letter from our letting agent this week to confirm the tenancy is just carrying on month by month, there is no mention of a rent increase for this year so thats good news.

Off to make a cup of tea and catch up on diaries before I crack on with the ironing.
    Last edited by AleMrsT; 17-05-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,377Users online

Martin's Twitter