Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > How long does it take to receive a credit card? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How long does it take to receive a credit card?
Closed Thread
Views: 46,627
# 1
greengrass
Old 24-07-2007, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How long does it take to receive a credit card?

Hi

As anybody got any idea roughly how long you wait for a c.c, we are going away 4th Aug and was going to apply hoping we would have received it by then, do you think I am hoping too much?
# 2
exel1966
Old 24-07-2007, 4:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Having had a high number of c/cards in my time I'd say you've got no chance of getting one by 4th Aug if you haven't already applied.

I would say you are looking at the very minimum 2-3 weeks, and a maximum of up to 8 weeks depending on who you apply to. Average I'd say is 3-4 weeks.
# 3
greengrass
Old 24-07-2007, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you for your advice, looks like I will have to borrow off one account then and pay it back when I come back.
# 4
Money Man
Old 24-07-2007, 6:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrass View Post
Hi

As anybody got any idea roughly how long you wait for a c.c, we are going away 4th Aug and was going to apply hoping we would have received it by then, do you think I am hoping too much?

Quite a few Card companies do instant decisions via the phone now but it would still be tight. You could ask for delivery within 24 hours, but you generally pay a premium of around 35 for this service.
# 5
exel1966
Old 24-07-2007, 6:53 PM

It is IMPOSSIBLE to apply for and receive a card within 24hours whether you are given an instant decission or not as cards are not despatched until the company receives a signed copy of the credit agreement by return of post. On top of that you have delays for admin, CRA checks etc.
# 6
Money Man
Old 24-07-2007, 6:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes, of course you will need to wait for the T & C's, I should have been clearer in the original posting, possibly 3 days for T & C's to arrive then a day to process so if he applied now he could have the T & C's by the weekend and send them back, they could probably get a card to him by Wednesday or Thursday next week.
# 7
dobbie82
Old 24-07-2007, 9:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

could you get a credit card from your bank?

they can give you a form, usually give you a decision there and then, you can read T+C's, sign dotted line, they can check ID in branch and shouldnt take more than a week to get your card.... well thats the theory! I applied yesterday (natwest)
# 8
wyebird
Old 24-07-2007, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you are accepted straight away without having to provide additional information then you can get a post Office card in less than I week and barclaycard too in my experience.
# 9
Dave f
Old 25-07-2007, 12:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I got a Nationwide credit card in about two weeks but the pin took another week after activating the card.
# 10
DawnW
Old 25-07-2007, 9:36 AM

I was instantly accepted for a Halifax card some weeks ago, but still no card yet.
# 11
johnmoney05
Old 25-07-2007, 9:49 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think it normally takes around 3 to 4 weeks from the date you make the application (ONLINE) if you are lucky enough.
# 12
Rock22
Old 25-07-2007, 3:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exel1966 View Post
It is IMPOSSIBLE to apply for and receive a card within 24hours whether you are given an instant decission or not as cards are not despatched until the company receives a signed copy of the credit agreement by return of post. On top of that you have delays for admin, CRA checks etc.
Some don't need for signed credit card agreement, last two I got required only a checkbox on the Internet form to be checked before submitting.

Credit checks are done near instant now, with real verification done by them querying Experian/Equifax real-time and asking which other credit cards you have, the last balance on your statement and the first date you received that credit card, and compare it to the results from your credit report. Answering the questions correctly is enough for them know your customer
# 13
Rock22
Old 25-07-2007, 3:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmoney05 View Post
I think it normally takes around 3 to 4 weeks from the date you make the application (ONLINE) if you are lucky enough.
Wow 3 weeks is a long time, I applied for two CC a week ago on Tuesday and received both today with PIN received last Friday - that's Virgin Money Mastercard and CitiCard Mastercard.
# 14
exel1966
Old 25-07-2007, 3:15 PM

Oh yes they do !!

Yes, verification can take place on line by the CRA, but that works for the minority rather than majority and is there to establish your ID for fraud purposes and to check your history. That does not mean acceptance for ANY card.

You will still have to sign and submit a signed copy of the Credit Agreement before a card will be issued as it forms part of the contract between you and them. Without it, you have no contract and NO card.
# 15
smithja
Old 25-07-2007, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi exel1966, you do not need to physically sign a contract anymore. I would suggest you google "electronic signature". It is a perfectly legitamate form of signing a Consumer Credit Act Agreement now, it was introduced in the last year in statue. You also usually do not have to prove your identity to apply for a credit card, I have never once been asked to do so and I have 4 cards from major lenders (at the moment) 2 of which I got after giving an electronic signatures, which simply means ticking a box, the cards then turned up in the post a week later after getting an "instant decision", which again many companies do. Give it a go, apply for a Natwest card, or a GE Money card, you will soon find out. The only time I have been asked to provide ID was when applying for a current account or saving account.James
# 16
smithja
Old 25-07-2007, 4:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi exel1966Please read this:http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file23061.pdfwhich contains amongst other things the following:1.5 Since the close of the White Paper consultation period, we have been working with key stakeholders to put this policy into practice. The result is the attached Order under section 8 of the Electronic Communications Act 2000 to amend the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA) and associated secondary legislation to remove legal obstacles that currently have the effect of preventing credit agreements from being concluded or notices and documents associated with an agreement from being provided by electronic means.5.1 The changes will benefit both business and consumers.5.2 The removal of impediments to electronic contracting will open-up new markets for the credit industry and will enable them to lend with confidence that agreements made in this way will not be held to be unenforceable on the basis of the communication mediumI hope this makes it clearer.James
# 17
exel1966
Old 25-07-2007, 4:11 PM

Having had in the region of 30-40 different cards over the years (7 currently for stoozing purposes) I have NEVER received a card without being forwarded a copy of the credit agreement to sign and return to the organisation concerned.
Those cards have come from all the major high-street banks, MBNA, Citi, Egg, BOS, BOI, RBOS, AMEX, Morgan Stanley to name a few whether in their own guise or that of another name.

Last edited by exel1966; 25-07-2007 at 4:14 PM.
# 18
Rock22
Old 25-07-2007, 4:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
You will still have to sign and submit a signed copy of the Credit Agreement before a card will be issued as it forms part of the contract between you and them. Without it, you have no contract and NO card.
Sorry but I have four credit cards here and I didn't sign anything and send anything back.
# 19
Rock22
Old 25-07-2007, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Having had in the region of 30-40 different cards over the years (7 currently for stoozing purposes) I have NEVER received a card without being forwarded a copy of the credit agreement to sign and return to the organisation concerned.
Those cards have come from all the major high-street banks, MBNA, Citi, Egg, BOS, BOI, RBOS, AMEX, Morgan Stanley to name a few whether in their own guise or that of another name.
Goldfish - Had to sign and send back
Vanquis - Had to sign and send back
CitiCard US Dollar Visa - Had to sign and send back

CitiCard MasterCard - Never had to sign anything
Virgin MBNA - Never had to sign anything
A&L MBNA - Never had to sign anything
Barclays - Never had to sign anything
# 20
smithja
Old 25-07-2007, 4:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi exel, it only came in to effect pretty recently and as you know nothing stands still for long. In our age of electronic communications it makes sense, and when you tick the box to state you are aware you are signing a Consumer Credit Act agreement, it is just as valid in a court of law as one signed on a piece of paper. That why I have a problem with James' fingerprint idea, I was going to write to the CRA's and ask them their opinions as Equifax seem to like the idea but I am not so sure. If everyone is moving toward electronic signatures they wont have the forms to send out to put your fingerprint on. Plus unless there is a database of fingerprints to match it against as yours how can a llender be sure, I think it would make them say "sorry we are not taking the risk" James

Last edited by smithja; 25-07-2007 at 4:31 PM.
Closed Thread