Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE David P
    • By Former MSE David P 22nd Oct 14, 10:00 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Former MSE David P
    Plusnet broadband top pick, we want your feedback
    • 22nd Oct 14, 10:00 AM
    Plusnet broadband top pick, we want your feedback 22nd Oct 14 at 10:00 AM
    Hi all,

In our broadband guide Plusnet broadband is in our top picks.

We're after feedback from people who have applied for this deal and want to know your experience and if you had any trouble getting the broadband.

Thanks for all help in advance
Page 9
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 7th Dec 16, 2:22 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Ian011
    I've just approached talk talk and for £27.95 (fixed for 18 months) I get anytime calls to 01, 02, 03 numbers (not 0870 or 0845), caller display, transfer calls to mobile, unlimited BB, line rental and a 200 minute, 500mg and unlimited texts sim card.
    Originally posted by sallysaver
    Given that customer services, financial services and public services are no longer allowed to use numbers starting 084, 087 or 09, you shouldn't ever need to call any premium rate 0845 or 0870 numbers.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Dec 16, 2:39 PM
    • 16,607 Posts
    • 10,825 Thanks
    molerat
    £50 Amazon voucher e-mail came today, one week after start of new contract
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • fluffyowl
    • By fluffyowl 28th Dec 16, 11:53 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fluffyowl
    Whatever you do, don't sign up for a year upfront
    I was with plusnet for a year and they hiked my fees so I agreed to pay for a year upfront. I was happy with the internet speed as I only really use it for basic things. Since then I have had virtually no internet speed. When I try to do a speed test...I can't because it's not fast enough to connect! I regularly have to send emails and check my bank via the 3G on my phone. Just about to sit in a 45 min call waiting queue for their 'top'?! customer service for the 6th time to try and get my money back before moving to another company, probably BT (who own plusnet and my line?!).
    • molerat
    • By molerat 28th Dec 16, 2:02 PM
    • 16,607 Posts
    • 10,825 Thanks
    molerat
    I was with plusnet for a year and they hiked my fees so I agreed to pay for a year upfront. I was happy with the internet speed as I only really use it for basic things. Since then I have had virtually no internet speed. When I try to do a speed test...I can't because it's not fast enough to connect! I regularly have to send emails and check my bank via the 3G on my phone. Just about to sit in a 45 min call waiting queue for their 'top'?! customer service for the 6th time to try and get my money back before moving to another company, probably BT (who own plusnet and my line?!).
    Originally posted by fluffyowl
    How will moving improve your speed unless you move up to fibre ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 28th Dec 16, 3:04 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    Mister G
    Originally posted by fluffyowl
    Hi Fluffyowl.

Let me try to be a little more helpful. Your problem indicates that you either have a fault on your modem or on the line itself. There is no reason why your service would have been affected by just taking up the LRS.

You will need to persevere and contact Plusnet in the first instance. If it is a line fault, then moving provider will not make any difference. I am assuming that you have tested the connection speed by a hard wired ethernet cable, rather than wifi, as wifi connections can suffer from local interference.

You can try checking the line by dialling 17070 and carrying out the 'quiet line test'. The line should be free of crackles and noises .
    Last edited by Mister G; 28-12-2016 at 3:12 PM.
    • The stingemeister
    • By The stingemeister 29th Dec 16, 10:16 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    The stingemeister
    Shockingly bad. Leaves you on hold forever if a problem with phone. No email comeback. Used to be ok...

Good bye......all the adverts: "we'll do you proud"..ffs
    • mxo
    • By mxo 9th Feb 17, 10:03 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mxo
    Do NOT use Plusnet - nightmare ISP
    I would NOT use Plusnet under any circumstances. I've been with several different ISPs (TalkTalk, Sky, BT) and Plusnet has to be the worst ISP I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

I've had major issues with the speed on my line since joining Plusnet. I had no issues with previous ISPs. Plusnet have refused to acknowledge the problem, instead claiming that they don't have to offer me the estimated speed they originally stated when I joined (despite their terms suggesting otherwise). At times my line speed has even dropped to below 1Mb/s. They've refused to investigate the problem.

The router they sent me was also faulty, meaning even slower speeds - a different router (actually, my old TalkTalk router) gave faster speeds than the Plusnet one - but Plusnet again refused to acknowledge that their router was faulty and claimed they didn't have to provide faster speeds. Eventually they grudgingly sent me a new router. Speeds are still slow, and they regularly drop my line.

Their customer services has been a nightmare, particularly over email. They don't read your message, provide template answers and seem to struggle to understand English.

Plusnet are a nightmare ISP. I regret signing up with them and advise anyone to avoid them with a barge pole.
    • sghughes42
    • By sghughes42 9th Feb 17, 10:18 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    sghughes42
    I've been with Plusnet over 3 years now and was very happy with them until about 6 months ago. All of a sudden the broadband became very unreliable - streaming would stutter and be unusable, web pages would need reloading several times.

I tried changing modem, filter and so on but the problem persisted. As we were due to move it didn't seem worth getting the engineer out as we were told there was a 2-3 week wait and it was only a month to our move. Unfortunately, the problem followed us....

Doing a bit of reading up, it appears Plusnet are moving from a shared network to their own network and it has been a complete failure from the outset but they are still migrating customers over. Things have improved but they refuse to admit this is the problem, insisting we must have faulty equipment and their tests can't see any issues.

If we could leave I would but unfortunately I was conned in to signing up for a 24 month contract when we moved. (Long story but basically their customer service will say one thing then conveniently forget it and be unable to find any record when you need it). Apparently this poor service isn't enough to allow us to cancel without penalty - that only kicks in if speeds drop considerably below the offered rate. Speeds are fine, the problem is we just can't get anything at busy times.

It's getting better and will hopefully be fixed in a few months but the sheer refusal to acknowledge the problem is theirs and offer any meaningful solution has put me off Plusnet and as soon as we can move I will.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Feb 17, 4:56 PM
    • 7,873 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I've been with them since October and am not at all satisfied.

My speeds are 1mbps slower than with Sky (a lot when you are in single figures, anyway) and from the start there were constant dropouts.

A number of complaints resulted in a new modem and there was a slight improvement , but still at least one dropout per day (be it just a few seconds, but enough to lose a link in a survey).

Two weeks ago, regular drops and useless speeds (too low to even load the speed test page) and a complaint resulted in admission that there was a fault and that they could see lots of drops. They tried something, then emailed to say there had been no problems for 14 hours, so they thought the problem was fixed....but, then we had further useless speeds two days ago, so I have sent details to the ticket, with no further response.

On top of this waiting times online an by phone , are ridiculous (30-45 minutes) and the 'music, consisting of two 'tunes' is terrible.

I complained about waiting times on a claiming to be brilliant customer service, suggesting they needed more staff. The young lady, told me that they were recruiting and that she was a new recruit....so much for experienced techs (just regular call centre staff), which, at least, you can access on Sky.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Feb 17, 5:56 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I've been with them since October and am not at all satisfied.

My speeds are 1mbps slower than with Sky (a lot when you are in single figures, anyway) and from the start there were constant dropouts.

A number of complaints resulted in a new modem and there was a slight improvement , but still at least one dropout per day (be it just a few seconds, but enough to lose a link in a survey).

Two weeks ago, regular drops and useless speeds (too low to even load the speed test page) and a complaint resulted in admission that there was a fault and that they could see lots of drops. They tried something, then emailed to say there had been no problems for 14 hours, so they thought the problem was fixed....but, then we had further useless speeds two days ago, so I have sent details to the ticket, with no further response.

On top of this waiting times online an by phone , are ridiculous (30-45 minutes) and the 'music, consisting of two 'tunes' is terrible.

I complained about waiting times on a claiming to be brilliant customer service, suggesting they needed more staff. The young lady, told me that they were recruiting and that she was a new recruit....so much for experienced techs (just regular call centre staff), which, at least, you can access on Sky.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I suspect that Plusnet may have moved some of their staff over to the mobile side of things which would explain longer waits.
    • ABTG
    • By ABTG 22nd Feb 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ABTG
    Switched to Plusnet because Sky was lots more expensive. We lost phone and broadband for nearly a week because someone executed the order to switch the providers too early - an engineer suggested it was lack of work for openreach engineers in the area that probably caused someone to jump the gun. No one could do anything about it, Plusnet simply denied any reponnsibilty because they weren't yet due to take over the line. Eventually we got broadband back and it's been fine so far.

However, it took another 4 days for the phone line to be returned. Since then we can call out, but no one can call us

Call wait times to Plusnet have never been less than 30 minutes. If I try to use online chat instead I'm number 23 in the queue. Assistants are less than helpful and give contradictory information. I'll be switching to someone else when our contract is up unless they seriously improve.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Feb 17, 7:28 PM
    • 7,873 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    teddysmum

Call wait times to Plusnet have never been less than 30 minutes. If I try to use online chat instead I'm number 23 in the queue. Assistants are less than helpful and give contradictory information. I'll be switching to someone else when our contract is up unless they seriously improve.
    Originally posted by ABTG

I went from Sky to Plusnet and though things have improved the service is not as good as with Sky (over 1mbps down; a lot when you are talking 5-6 anyway).

Two weeks ago, I had to wait 45 minutes, twice and a around Chritmas was 22nd in an online queue then was bumped off when down to 11 th.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 23rd Feb 17, 8:30 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    editor1
    I went from Sky to Plusnet and though things have improved the service is not as good as with Sky (over 1mbps down; a lot when you are talking 5-6 anyway).

Two weeks ago, I had to wait 45 minutes, twice and a around Chritmas was 22nd in an online queue then was bumped off when down to 11 th.
    Originally posted by teddysmum

I was with PlusNet for two years and only changed this January because they would not offer a good retention deal - we had regular 5.5mb down which was okay for Xbox live and the most I DLed in a month was 1T, again Xbox games related. They seemed better than TalkTalk when I first joined them in February 2015, although telephone wait calls then were still about 15 mins. Must be that BT has installed its own business model within PN as complaints on these boards have increased exponentially over the past 12 months and Sky does now seem to have better customer service, which is saying something I suppose!
    • snowys
    • By snowys 8th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    snowys
    Plusnet is a company that has no thoughts or feelings for the unsuspecting public who choose their service and then wish with all their heart that they had not. They don't answer your emails, they don't return your money and they offer nothing to you when the contract ends so that you will stay. I noted the good feedback for their other service, JohnLewis Broadband and foolishly choose that to replace Plusnet, what a nightmare that has been, problems every single day since I joined on 1st February, they have wrongly charged me ten different invoices and taken the money from my bank account, after contacting them for about the hundredth time, I got a cheque for £50.00 for the heartache they had caused me and it was from Plusnet and signed by Plusnet !!!! Needless to say the problems are still going on (even today received a text saying "your phone line and broadband is going live today" nearly 5 weeks later, I'm losing the will to live, and would not recommend Plusnet or JLB to anybody. I'm lost and don't know where to turn now
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 8th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 3,061 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Just changed to John Lewis (aka plusnet but cheaper for bog standard ADSL); I've never had a major issue with plusnet;
    1. English call centres; a bit busy at the moment (BT exodus) but called them yesterday - on hold for 5mins ish;
    2. Good technical knowledge and the job gets done there and then rather than being passed around departments
    3. only quible - the contact/query system gets flooded with internal system messages, making threads very hard to read AND their operators appear to ignore it anyway; if you want something doing - ring them.
    4. don't support "caller protect" which is, in my opinion, BT's big selling point for people who get lots of spam calls.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • geofh
    • By geofh 15th Jun 17, 8:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    geofh
    Broadband Service OK; Support is sadly non-existent
    So, I switched to PlusNet. Some home-spun emails. Everything arrived on time. Connected up without problems. Router connected to the Internet. But sadly the ONLY site that I could access was plus.net. And even those pages were rather strange as they clearly pull in material from other domains. This also meant that Chat was blocked. And although PlusNet claim to offer phone support, no one actually answers any calls.

So with NO thanks to PlusNet, I recorded their as-delivered router settings, and went back to first principles. During the 40+ minutes I was on hold to PlusNet customer support, I debugged THEIR delivered settings and fixed the problem. But if you are not confident in debugging router settings, be prepared to wait hours on the phone.
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 16th Jun 17, 12:59 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    I applied to switch to Plusnet and waited over a month during which time I had 3 or more messages saying that the broadband order had been rejected - this was an internal Plusnet order, presumable to BT, and nothing to do with me. However it held up the process and I was assured that the switch would take place on Nov 4th. It didn't. I waited almost an hour for an 'instant chat' and cancelled. Very very poor.
    Originally posted by rlnorton14
    I recently signed up with Plusnet and chose my migration date as the 20th, only to then receive e-mails explaining there was a problem with the BT Openreach order and the new activation date was the 29th. Wasn't impressed. My deal with BT is only £20 more expensive for the year, so I rang Plusnet last night and cancelled within the 14-day cooling off period.
    • zaax
    • By zaax 16th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    zaax
    I recently signed up with Plusnet and chose my migration date as the 20th, only to then receive e-mails explaining there was a problem with the BT Openreach order and the new activation date was the 29th. Wasn't impressed. My deal with BT is only £20 more expensive for the year, so I rang Plusnet last night and cancelled within the 14-day cooling off period.
    Originally posted by lloydyyy
    Thats BT for you they don't want to loose you as a customer so they put lots of hudles in the way.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • kimbles81
    • By kimbles81 17th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kimbles81
    Had been considering plus net... don't think I will bother after all
    • KILL BILL
    • By KILL BILL 17th Jun 17, 10:02 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    KILL BILL
    If people thought that talk talk where bad plusnet are so much worse

i left sky to goto plusnet as i listened too much to all these awards that they had been winning for customer service etc.

Their customer services is non existence and it shows that they have problems when your on hold for over 30 mins for technical support.

They may be cheap but TRUST US YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU SIGN UP WITH THEM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

615Posts Today

6,476Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin