IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to use other people's leftover parking time?

Comments

• natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi right I don't think you can compare pub meal and parking it's physically a different thing I have bought kids meals in a pub to save on the cost of adults meals and I have shared meals is that wrong too? I used to work for a local authority and payed for parking kills local trade I would rather the money profit a small business owner in town. Our local authority even implemented pay and display at our office which was on an industrial site £2 a day and no one else parked there it was basically a pay cut. I say share your tickets if you can and feel good that if you use a recycled ticket you will be putting the money to better use
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • I think it's morally wrong for the company to make the tickets non-transferable. if the time is paid for then it should be able to be used by anyone. If I buy a cake and only eat half of it, nobody would object to me giving the other half to someone else. The baker doesn't say that the cake must be consumed by the purchaser and the purchaser only, and that all confectionery is non-transferable. Why should a parking service be any different?
  • James_B.
    James_B. Posts: 404 Forumite
    Our rotten MP's have awarded themselves 11% payrise

No, they have not. They took away their own power to set pay, passed it to a committee that seemed an acceptably independent one, and actually seem a bit ashamed and offended that this panel now is going to enforce a rise that the MPs understand full well is about as popular as a cold bag of sick.

Quite what MP's pay has to do with local parking charges, though, is not really clear.
  • I have both given and taken part-used tickets. It only tends to happen in car parks where the machines don't give change and for that reason I have no qualms whatsoever about doing it.
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    James_B. wrote: »
    No, they have not. They took away their own power to set pay, passed it to a committee that seemed an acceptably independent one, and actually seem a bit ashamed and offended that this panel now is going to enforce a rise that the MPs understand full well is about as popular as a cold bag of sick.

Quite what MP's pay has to do with local parking charges, though, is not really clear.

Don't go spoiling someone's irrelevant and ill informed rant by spouting facts now.;)
  • jgriggle
    jgriggle Posts: 165 Forumite
    It may go against the T&Cs of the car park, but I do it all the time with a clear conscience. I've paid for the space for a length of time - if I choose to give the time I've paid for to someone else that's up to me.

The only thing you're depriving the parking company of is the opportunity to double their money by renting out the same parking space twice.
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    James_B. wrote: »

And yet the Armed Forces also have their own independent Armed Forces Pay Review Body and they are restricted to giving a maximum of a 1% pay rise because that is what the Government has deemed that all public sector workers are entitled too, regardless if they think they should award more or not.

Apologies for taking this off subject, but I couldn't let that one go without a reply. :rotfl:
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have given and received parking tickets in Pay and Display car parks. I've also given and received bus and train day tickets when i have no longer needed them.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
  • I routinely pass on my hospital car parking pay & display chits, mostly as it's a brilliant gift whern you're already stressed! Also, I can point out where the space I've just left is.

Someone very kindly did this for us last year. We received a call that a family member was very ill and had been admitted to hospital and probably did not have long. We knew neither the hospital nor the town but just jumped in the car with a bag of change (having been warned about the cost of parking). When we arrived in the middle of the day the car park was full. I decided to drop my partner off so that he could go in to see his brother while I waited for a parking space. Just then a woman beckoned me from her car, pulled out of her space and handed over her ticket which had a couple of unused hours on it. We were then able to run into the hospital just in time to spend a precious few minutes with R before he passed away. We were so grateful to that woman in the car park, and she probably has no idea how much her action meant to us. So I will thank you instead!
    :A
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My local council run leisure centre has a minimum parking charge for 3 hours (£1.60). I only go there for a park run on a Saturday morning and even I am not that bad that it takes me 3 hours to run 5km.

I can do my warm up, run and cool down in less than an hour so I usually have 2 hours left that I have had to pay for. I always look to pass my ticket on to someone just arriving. I have also been fortunate enough to have some kind people pass their tickets on to me too.

A minimum charging period of 3 hours is ridiculous for a leisure centre, I would imagine most swims, gym work outs, etc take considerably less time than this and people are forced to pay for parking time that they will never use.

I see no moral argument against passing on a ticket with unused time on it. IMHO
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure