Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Oct 14, 10:28 AM
    • 7,442Posts
    • 20,369Thanks
    jwil
    Shifting this debt one at a time.
    • 14th Oct 14, 10:28 AM
    Shifting this debt one at a time. 14th Oct 14 at 10:28 AM
    Hey everyone

I'm back after being awol for a while. I completely lost my MSE mojo, life was getting in the way and the finances not improving.

I've been lurking around, but neglected my MSE friends and haven't really been posting.

I've decided I need to get back into it and focus again and hopefully some old and new friends will join me.

I have a lot of debt, and it has been just ticking over. I don't make great headway into it and my finances are tight so it's a constant struggle.

The last few months have nearly tipped me over the edge, and I have seriously considered a DMP but have decided I will try and give it one last blast.

Anyway, I keep having bursts of enthusiasm and then getting despondent because I am not getting anywhere. I need to stop this. The debt didn't build up overnight, so it's not going away overnight unless I win the lottery .

The plan is much as usual:

Sell as much as I can - ebay is still the way forward for me, I get much better sales there than I would elsewhere.

Continue the great declutter

Cut down on general spending where I can.

Keep up with surveys for cash and vouchers.

Thank you if you've read that far!
    Last edited by jwil; 14-10-2014 at 2:46 PM.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 75
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 7,442 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    jwil
    No luck at the car boot yesterday.

Lots of sales yesterday so lots packed and posted today. A few more have paid up today so some more to go tomorrow.

I filled up my car so that's the ebay money allocated.

I've been having one of my down days about the state of the house and how I seem to do nothing but ebay but it doesn't get any better. I was thinking about just being ruthless and clearing out the lot without trying to make any money from it.

It's very tempting however, I then realised, that it's mostly not my stuff, so any gaps made would probably soon be filled again. Time to nag DH again I think. He's listing so much stuff but there don't seem to be any gaps appearing, so he must be making gaps in areas I don't go, i.e. loft/garage. So he is going to start having to shuffle stuff around into these places so it's not all over the living spaces.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 7,442 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    jwil
    Well I haven't heard back from my complaint yet, but I've just looked at the account and the balance has gone down by 600! So it looks like they've refunded all the charges and interest. Hurrah!

That's pretty much halved the balance I'll wait til I get a letter before I really celebrate but I'm very pleased about that.
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 16th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 6,771 Posts
    • 35,639 Thanks
    tattycath
    Well I haven't heard back from my complaint yet, but I've just looked at the account and the balance has gone down by 600! So it looks like they've refunded all the charges and interest. Hurrah!

That's pretty much halved the balance I'll wait til I get a letter before I really celebrate but I'm very pleased about that.
    Originally posted by jwil
    Yay! That's fantastic a news jwil xx
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    Mortgage overpayments:July 47.36
    July : 5.05/200 grocery 1/7/17 98.36/150
    Emergency savings 67.00/2000
    Savercard Christmas savings 60
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 7,442 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    jwil
    Thanks tattycath, I'm really pleased.

I've been doing some research over the last few days due to the fact that the bills are all arriving, and all seem to be going up!

Nursery fees are up 80 a month
    Council Tax is up 12 a month
    Water is roughly the same but is hugely expensive anyway as we are rated and not suitable for a water meter.
    Electric and gas are up 10 a month (though I'm hoping this will be less as I'm back at work this year)

As things are tight anyway this doesn't help. I've been looking at Childcare vouchers (which I get), the tax free childcare and Childcare elements of tax credits. Doing the calculator it looks like we'd be better off not getting the vouchers and seeing if we can get the childcare tax credits instead. The calculator suggests so, so I've left the childcare vouchers as of the end of this month, and then next month will adjust my tax credits to see if we are eligible.

If it turns out we are not, I can reenter the childcare vouchers within the next 12 months, or if DH gets some permanent work, I can switch to the new tax free childcare which looks like it would save us more, but we can only get if we are both earning.

It's all such a flipping minefield!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 7,442 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    jwil
    I've been catching up on surveys. Including one very tedious one which took forever, but pays relatively well.

I've redeemed a couple of times and am close again with a few more.

I've got a load of listings prepped so need to try and get them on later.

As it looks like I've had a result with that account, I've made a small payment to it to round it down. I prefer my debt to be whole pounds, not pennies as it's easier to keep track of!

Little miss is very grumpy and tired today, hope she's not coming down with anything (chickenpox is doing the rounds at nursery).

Hope everyone is well
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 7,442 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's update:

Targets for 2017

1. 2000 - 1807 MCA
    2. 13,000 - 12,965 NW
    3. 400 - 365 JOD
    4. 1200 - 1180 ACS
    5. 200 - 200 ABC
    6. 430 - 430 HS
    7. 280 - 280 AS

Total: 17,510 - 17,227

Total mortgage/debt: 190,975 - 189,985

Decluttering:
    Books: 197
    Magazines/papers: 33
    Ebay parcels: 452
    Other: 134

Total: 759

Ebay listings: 543

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: 25
    Paypal/cash: 47.14
    Other vouchers:
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 7,442 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    jwil
    So, added to the declutter list:

128. 1 x pack post its
    129. calculator
    130. 5 x unopened packs envelopes
    131. 1 x bundle loose envelopes
    132. 1 x pen
    133. 6 x notepads
    134. 2 x pens
    • jwil
    • By jwil 22nd Mar 17, 5:33 PM
    • 7,442 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    jwil
    Not much has been done over the last week or so due to poorly kiddies. Fingers crossed they are getting better now. We've been at the docs every day this week so far!

I did manage to get to a nearly new sale and get some clothing for them so that's good.

We've had some more sales this week. Sadly the printer died, so had to fork out 45 for a new one

DH has been doing most of the poorly childcare so I haven't had to have too much time off work, but my hours are seriously lacking now!

He has also managed to prep loads of listings, including a load for me, so need to get those on.

I also need to sort out thank you cards for little jwil's birthday gifts, and post a Mother's day card to my Mum.

Big changes happening on the work front, not sure how good that is going to be or the implication on jobs. Hopefully I'll find out a bit more later this week or next week.

As I've done TV/phone/internet etc, I must get round to sorting out our energy and seeing if we can save anything on that. We've had our annual usage statement and estimated usage for this year, so should be straightforward.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 7,442 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    jwil
    I've decided it's time for a new diary. I hope you'll pop over and say hello

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5624384
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 27th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 6,915 Posts
    • 33,191 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Wow!! Following you over now... x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    July '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [June 30%]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.07.17 02/100 ** LSDs Target 10 for July 01/10 **AFDs 17/25 ** Sales Target '17 750 140 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for July 03/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

7,969Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin