Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,410Posts
    • 58,281Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 430
    • choille
    • By choille 27th Jan 18, 10:16 PM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 27,285 Thanks
    choille
    Kingston is very classy Alfie.

Dave - sorry to hear the bug has bitten again - hope it goes for good soon.

DD2 is doing the right thing is sticking to what she wants to be doing -
    good for her.

Boggy here too after all the snow melt & torrential rain. We have fierce winds here tonight - all day it's raged really wild.

Could hardly see this morning on the beach as the sand was blowing in your face. Picked up some drift wood from the storm so that was a plus. I love cheap stuff but free is better.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 28th Jan 18, 3:50 AM
    • 24,238 Posts
    • 90,797 Thanks
    Davesnave
    DD2 is doing the right thing is sticking to what she wants to be doing - good for her.
    Originally posted by choille
    She did 4 years at college and uni, while her partner did 7, but at the end of it, both were doing jobs that required no formal qualifications.

OK, running a store with a £4m turnover and getting it into profit might be seen as fulfilling, but the message that was coming across was, "You're more useful to us doing that than poncing about in design, marketing and creative stuff."

She thinks they're wrong, but the company has a good record of survival; just not one of much innovation in the last decade or so.

Anyway, her partner has just joined an architectual consultancy, so I think they'llreturn from China refreshed and ready to go. I was beginning to wonder, as they have rich pals out there and it's where the action is.....

Up in the night, still coughing, but wide awake, so more whisky medicine was needed. Seems to be working....
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 29th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,327 Thanks
    alfie 1
    and the rain still cometh !!

people have been complaining to the rsp*a re the horses in fields round here !! talking to one lady who had a visit and was upset. she said the officer said there is no dry ground anywhere and they were fed up with non agricultural people not understanding that it cant be helped ! she has stuck a sign on her gate now saying " its raining, I don't like mud, horses don't like mud but god obviously does "... I laughed so much when I read it ...

was running around today ....did airport trip, then saw dad, then got mum new microwave, took that to her, fed horses/cat/dogs/owl and just sat down ... today was my "day off " !

sold sons car so that will be space on the drive.

thought I had dentist appointment last Friday.. got there saying "im a bit early" and receptionist said " you sure are .... a month early"
    I call it oldtimers..... just daft really !!

no sign of Kingston yet...

friend and I are sorting her barn of furniture tomorrow. got someone coming Wednesday to see if of interest as a job lot..
    got someone coming tomorrow to see a cart im selling too.

im getting up funds to pay for a trip with a friend to Barbados !! she has been several times and has friends there. I want to learn to shallow dive [not talking ship wrecks ] I now have a bucket list of to do's and this is one of them

I hope all you peeps are not suffering too much with this weather.... take care y'all xx
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 30th Jan 18, 7:31 AM
    • 24,238 Posts
    • 90,797 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Weather hasn't seemed too bad here, just drizzly and dull, but then what do I know? I've scarcely been outside!

This year's bug finally started to 'come out' properly on Friday after rehearals, so I spent the weekend sweating, sleeping and coughing. Now it's moved on to the runny nose stage, which is a good sign, but I hurt, everywhere, and nothing tastes like it should. I'm reluctant to call this flu, but when I need a double whisky to even contemplate fetching some logs......

There's always an up-side, though. Thanks to having more 'puter time, I stumbled on a trader offering huge flash discounts on the fishing rod and line I planned to buy for the coming season, saving me about £75.

Perusal of various You Tube videos over winter showed me I was doing it all wrong last year, hence the need for more kit. Well, that's my excuse!

Minnie, our remaining Australorp hen, who almost died just after we bought her from rogue breeders in 2010, finally expired yesterday without showing any prior signs of distress. She was DW's personal favourite. So glad I didn't need to dispatch her.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 2nd Feb 18, 9:35 AM
    • 24,238 Posts
    • 90,797 Thanks
    Davesnave
    It's Friday! Where did that week go?

I know most of it was probably frittered-away in fitful sleep, or half-comatose, middle-of-the-night rambling on here, but this morning it seems the flu-fug is finally lifting.....and a whole week has vanished.

The sheep have gone. Pete has taken them to be mollycoddled at home before they give birth, but he was happy enough with their condition up here. No foot problems despite the soggy ground. We might get lambs next.

No news about Horse Woman's place, which still shows as sold on the agent's site. Meanwhile, two others in the barn conversions have gone to market in a low-key way. One has a land border with us, beside the new woodland, so it probably won't matter one way or the other, but I'm glad I planted a good hedge there. It's an weird unusual property, and weird esoteric properties tend to appeal to unpredictable people!

There again, I thought our new old car was boring and predictable, but now it turns out there's a major safety recall for the passenger air bag which, if activated, may explode, sending metal debris all over the occupants. I have to take it to a main dealer next week....if I survive that long. It hasn't seen one of those for the last decade!

We're very pleased with the way the wood burner has kept us warm through this winter, with no use of the oil heating in the daytime at all. We've also imported heat from the conservatory on bright days, but there haven't been that many of those!

Not much else to report. Had a warning from the management here yesterday, just for pointing out that two people had similar usernames and problems. I left it to others to decide for themselves, but apparently I should have reported my suspicions to Big Martin's helpers, who would have ...well, they didn't tell me!
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 2nd Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 8,091 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    ..... who would have
    and did do nothing about it!

Oh, they are the same person, guaranteed. I have some expensive software to detect plagiarism in scientific papers (one job I still pretend to do is part-edit a journal). That software agreed with your post 99.5 confidence. It awaits its first warning.

Still pretty crippled with asthma. Lucky to puff 250 to 275 on meds, should be 625 plus. Leaves me puffed out doing more than walking, and I feel old, old, old!

Oh well, at least I had a flu jab for free
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 2nd Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    • 24,238 Posts
    • 90,797 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Still pretty crippled with asthma. Lucky to puff 250 to 275 on meds, should be 625 plus. Leaves me puffed out doing more than walking, and I feel old, old, old!

Oh well, at least I had a flu jab for free
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Sympathies. DW has issues too, so I know about the spirometer stuff, but for her the asthma inhalers are no good. She's having an ongoing investigation at the hospital, where I suspect they're running out of ideas.

Looks like the flu jab nurse left the back gate open this year, or there wouldn't be such a large number of us oldies going down with it in the village. Someone said something about it targeting 3 strains, but there was obviously a No4 out there too.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 2nd Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,327 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hiya peeps

sorry to hear of the bugs and breathing battles...

ive had a busy but fun week.. had man come re furniture in the barn [tat] and "persuaded" him there WAS some good bits amongst it ... he coughed up a good amount and saved us paying some one to take it away !!

sold my carriage ....I advertised it before xmas and nothing but this time I had 3 people after it within 24hrs of add being posted ...

carriage going this weekend and furniture on Monday..

friend had clear out of her jumper department in her "dressing room" [clue ] and I have 3 big bags of quality jumpers to peruse ! will ebay most as spending pennies for hollibob
    we have decided we are going for a week to the med [end of march ] on a road trip. so maybe fly to spain , hire a car and go from there exploring. will go to Barbados [fingers crossed] later in the year when I can spare more time. need to be around for the foal as it could be later than we think ...

gorgeous day here today...warm and sunny .
    ive mowed 2 lawns and cleaned up some flower beds today.
    a lot of heavy pruning of shrubs last autumn is paying off as shoots are abundant and have more shape.. few more to do and I should have an element of control...

if you imagine a big square divided into 4 that is the rough layout of our fields. the middle line has a hedge across plus stock fencing and post and rail. behind the hedge was a blocked overgrown ditch that ran the whole length...well hedge has been hacked right back and a digger in to re dig ditch.. the amount of water from the top 2 fields that is now finding the ditch is amazing... it is FLOWINGso should help dry out the top fields.
    we are not going for the usual hay from the bottom 2 [5 acres x 2] this year. we are getting it rollered and moled and will use for grazing which in turn will summer rest the top 2 ... if that makes sense to you !

had the farrier yesterday for tilly [plus 2 others] as her last trim before giving birth.. she is getting a bit grumpy , which ladies reading will understand ... and is HUGE !!

sun is JUST starting to fade but gives one a spring in ones step when its such a lovely day
    Last edited by alfie 1; 02-02-2018 at 3:00 PM.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 8th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,327 Thanks
    alfie 1
    quiet as a mouse !!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 24,238 Posts
    • 90,797 Thanks
    Davesnave
    quiet as a mouse !!
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    I've been keeping an eye on the thread to make sure it doesn't fall off the front page.....

....but there's not been much point in saying anything, because that 'orrible bug kept me indoors till yesterday, when I had to go and get our potentially explosive air bag replaced. Having coped with that, an afternoon walk and a minor bit of shopping, I concluded I was better, at last.

But I've not been alone, oh no! With many of the cast sick, the Panto has had to be postponed till Easter. Even people who are 'never' ill have been confined to bed for a week or more. It's been a real b*gg*r of a bug!

So back to work today, when the Met Office confidently predicted rain, but it didn't , so I got some more hedging done and a rather half-hearted garden bonfire lit. Now that the sheep have gone, I can also pile up all the stuff I've cut in the hedgerow to make a pyre in the field without fear of them towing large lumps of hawthorn and wild rose around.

Any news of Kingston? I guess not or you'd have said...

Anyone else out there?????
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 8th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,327 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi dave..

no sign of Kingston yet............. poor old tilly is lumping around and looking fed up [know the feeling]

we have had heavy frosts last few nights but dry days.. BUT rain forecast for tonight..
    the fields are just starting to dry up and im hoping that continues !

I too have had a normal week in as much nothing to report.

got news that one of my special lab pups [Sydney] has passed away. he was 14 years old and a big lummox. he was even when he was a pup.. friend who had him is so sad.

cant remember if I said but cousin [artist] from Canada coming to stay for 3 weeks at the end of this month . oogle ....... a n n a mar i e fer gu son ....... and you will see her..

keep warm peeps... its bl**dy cold ere . xx
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 9th Feb 18, 9:07 PM
    • 7,952 Posts
    • 34,047 Thanks
    lucielle
    Collected DS1 from the airport today, returning from NZ. Only he could arrive in sleety conditions wearing shorts!body

I've handed my notice in at work, 2 weeks left to go. Everybody here is gearing up for lambing time. DD2 starts tomorrow. DD1 and her friend return from Skye along with the hounds and then we'll be back to a full house.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • choille
    • By choille 9th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 27,285 Thanks
    choille
    Hope everyone is over the bugs, breathing issues and general illness of Winter months.

Snowed today....again....quite heavy. I have a thing on in Inverness tomorrow. Doing a reading but I don't know if we'll get out or not.

Lucielle - will you do another job or are you moving up to Skye full time soon?

Not much to report here apart from Puppy face who is now a year old made a brilliant but rather anarchic job of rounding up some wild billy goats on the shore after he bolted down there the other day. It took a while to retrieve him as he seemed to want to keep them on the rocky outcrop all day.

It's freezing outside with a very clear starry night.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 10th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 23,706 Posts
    • 92,771 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    In the process of swearing profusely over packing for our week in the SW.

Where are all my fancy thick socks? Where is my woolly hat? And why does Himself seem to think that he'll be able to sneak all his clothes into my pack?

I need a proper waterproof. He's suggested I wear a coat that was too big for me when I was six stone heavier. It's full length and wool. And not going to happen; we'd be better off spraying it with proofing spray and camping under it. I shall have to brave the outdoor sports shop tomorrow morning in the hope of finding something big enough and waterproof enough for rain, sleet and snow (and possibly a few oceanic splashes).

Cab is booked from Castle Cary to the first hotel. He booked it over the phone, hamming up the West Country accent (I knew he could still do it if he wanted to! Just lose the flaming London accent!) with the result that the cab is significantly cheaper than usual.

Two days there, then off home where my dodgy movable accent probably take hold by the time we're the right side of the moors. But apparently, we have a further hotel stay booked, so not all spent at his Mum's. Yay. I'll be able to make tea without somebody chucking half a pint of milk in it and wiping up before I've even finished putting the water in. (She's lovely, but such a fusser).

I am going, armed with an up to date CV and a handwritten letter to the Head of the village school (and it just so happens that we know which cottage the Head lives in), just in case a job comes up when the final date for resignations for Easter passes in ten days' time...they're not advertising, but news travels fast in them thar villuges................

Colleague has just announced that he's worked out after two years that he's still a country boy at heart, so he's off to rural Gloucs for a job in September. Everybody else seems surprised except me - but I recognise the mud over his car as not being obtained from the M25 particularly with the slight essence of horse in the boot with his Hunters as I fetched some equipment from inside it - and he's got a dark green coat slung on the back seat, along with far too many checked shirts for a man so young....
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 10-02-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 11th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 7,952 Posts
    • 34,047 Thanks
    lucielle
    No not moving to Skye just yet. Had applied to lease a tearoom but found out on Friday I hadn't got that but I'm not too bothered. There was a slight possibility that I might've had to been midwife to 300 sheeps but DD1 is going to do it instead. So looking like fulltime with OH in the shop/workshop
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Feb 18, 4:58 AM
    • 24,238 Posts
    • 90,797 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The odd, moody weather continues here.On Monday, I had to get DW to hospital for further investigations by 08.00, so we set off on roads with a tiny covering of snow, but by the time we returned around 11.00 the sun was out and it had turned in to a glorious day.

Then, same again yesterday; gales and rain overnight followed by another lovely, but very cold, afternoon.

Mostly hedging and sawing up logs at present, but I have planted some seeds in the hope of better, less yo-yo type weather to come....
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 14th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,327 Thanks
    alfie 1
    id like to ask dave, what you doin up at 04.38 !!!

its the same here weather wise... sunny then suddenly blacks over and freezing rain.
    our track here is a right boneshaker at the moment ! plans to re grade it and then roller are having to be put on hold due to the wet. it has rough verges then ditch then hedge. hedges have been tractor cut, the verges will be flattened out then V cuts to allow drainage to refurbed ditches so 1 out of 4 done so far .... just need a dry week.
    sons new car has taken a beating and he must be the slowest bmw driver in Hampshire !!
    no sign of Kingston just one mega greedy tilly at the moment !
    had 2 buckets of feed and 2 bales of hay on a wheel barrow, crossing a boggy field [aiming for the corral ] with tilly in hot pursuit and as you know , all well meaning plans usually go t*ts up ! as in this case it was the wheel barrow that went t*ts up helped by a gigantic head shove from tilly ! food went one way , hay went another and me stood asking myself why I didn't make 2 trips !! needless to say between the sheep,tilly and old nelly the food didn't last there long, so I continued my trek with the hay...
    at my age I am a gluton for punishment !!

friend and I have a 2nd lot of storage furniture and stuff to sort in the barn again....maybe today is the day..

roll on the boot sales starting again !

keep warm peeps
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 24,238 Posts
    • 90,797 Thanks
    Davesnave
    id like to ask dave, what you doin up at 04.38 !!!
    I get up at any time after 04.00 if I've gone to bed early. Normally, I find around 6 hours sleep is my max, though sometimes I'll have an extra little top-up sleep after I've been awake for a couple of hours.

This morning I had to go into Exeter earlier than I'd have preferred, but at least I missed the worst of the traffic. The back window of the car was reported as 'loose' by the main dealer who did the airbag recall. Hmmmmmm! Naturally, they recommended their mates across the road, who wanted double what these guys in a trading estate lock-up charge for the same reinstatement job!

Mind you, with it being only 5c and chucking it down when I dropped the jalopy off, I began to wonder why I hadn't booked at the place with the easy chairs, coffee machine and magazines! However, an hour wandering in Sainsburys saved me £60, and I think I saw a dipper in the little river that goes through there when I walked back.

Edit: Boot sales....Brr not yet, but we have been opening boxes we packed and sealed-up in 2008.... and there is an awful lot of carp!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 14-02-2018 at 4:58 PM.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 15th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,327 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hiya peeps ...

well fields dry out...rains...fields are a bog again
    BUT the newly cleared ditches are working a treat

went to clear a big pile of shrubs today that id cut down a while back and there was a hedgy hog asleep under it so put it all back again !

ferral cats in the summer house are getting fussy ! didn't like the trisco's own nosh .... so guess who trecked to the shops to get the real stuff...

tilly still hanging in there...

ever get the feeling the animogs are taking over

well we had 5 minutes of hailstones today after it being a lovely sunny day ?

hope you are all a bit dryer [don't answer that one choille ]

keep safe peeps xx
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 24,238 Posts
    • 90,797 Thanks
    Davesnave

hope you are all a bit dryer [don't answer that one choille ]
    Wasn't too bad here today:

As you can probably guess, that isn't 'here' here , but the Winter Garden at Rosemoor about 12 miles from here. Not too crowded, despite being half term.

Also visited the flooring shop, the fireplace place and the stone yard, so it was all good research and we didn't feel too guilty, bunking off from our own garden.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,603Posts Today

9,261Users online

Martin's Twitter