Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,410Posts
    • 58,277Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 428
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 12th Jan 18, 12:01 AM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    alfie 1
    dave... I so enjoy my job and to be honest have always been lucky to get good jobs with little effort at the time [more vacancies when I started ! ] I worked 17 years similarly for a "sir" who was a genuine old school gent.. then my shop [loved it, but not the rent increase !] then this job.
    spent my youth [up to 26] doing a variety of weird jobs.. travelled and learnt..
    seemed so basic then, I earnt good money or less money and cut my cloth accordingly..
    I remember selling a beautifull saddle I had bought and not used yet and bought a ticket to Australia for 6 months ,living in the north west territories [look for PARABADOO ...see if you can find it.. ]
    I bought my first car myself ,a mini 1000. I thought I was so cool with my "go faster" stripes on the car... drove it round [practising] for a year before I took my test

I used to visit gypsy friends up in durham for long weekends then I went once and didn't come home for 5 months....then I came home with another dog !

spent months living in an open lot and reading van learning from an amazing wagon painter.. trecked north wales looking at secret hidden gypsy wagons in barns .. I can make a wooden peg and a wooden carnation

friend says I should write it all down as it sounds so ridiculous
    I had a great youth
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jan 18, 7:43 AM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,208 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I remember selling a beautifull saddle I had bought and not used yet and bought a ticket to Australia for 6 months ,living in the north west territories [look for PARABADOO ...see if you can find it.. ]
    I bought my first car myself ,a mini 1000. I thought I was so cool with my "go faster" stripes on the car... drove it round [practising] for a year before I took my test
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    I looked Paraburdoo up and saw the soil there is the same colour as it is in Crediton......There, the similarity ends!

As a mere schoolboy and p/t worker at Tesco during the Mini's finest era, I was unable to participate personally, but I remember it followed hard on the heels of the Mod years of '64/65/66. In those summers, everything changed; our town square suddenly being transformed evenings and weekends by Lambretta and Vespa owners, who'd park up and compare the ridiculousness of their machines. Then, they'd take off en masse to the coast, where there'd be a huge meet-up. Usually, I managed to go pillion....no helmet of course!

But hey, I owned a parka and I was manic about The Who...Still am!

My Dad tried to help, but he didn't understand street cred. One day, I came home from school to find a moped in the hallway. Dad made big about it having had only one previous (district nurse) owner; he just didn't get it that I wouldn't even try it out!

I'd been saving all my spare cash and just about had the £60 for a tired-looking Lambretta 150 in a local garage.....Then, news filtered in about one of the Barnstaple mods, riding the white lines, like we did, got it horribly wrong, hit the car he was overtaking and went under an 8 wheeler going the other way....

Almost overnight, the scooter craze died, the minis were suddenly everywhere and I'd met a girl whose crazy sister had access to Dad's car....so it wasn't all bad!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jan 18, 12:35 AM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,208 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Lovely day here , Sunday. I thought I felt well enough to return to the long-term road hedge rejuvenation, so I did. Managed about 90 minutes and finally reached a floppy branch on one of the retained oaks that escaped me in the spring, annoying me ever since.

After that and mucking-out the hens, I was cream-crackered, as was DW, who'd had a far more exiting time, cleaning 2 bathrooms. So, we nodded-off.

Dunno what this bug is, but it has ruined our appetites. I've shed 6lbs, which is by no means a bad thing.

Saw a baby goldfinch that had not long fledged on Saturday, which suggests they have carried-on breeding through winter here. No sign of anything very cold in the long range forecast either.

Hey, just realised......Happy Choille Day!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Jan 18, 9:46 AM
    • 5,591 Posts
    • 27,262 Thanks
    choille
    Thanks Dave re Choille day. It's pouring down so no bonfire. it's very overcast and snow is forecast but we have had a dry spell of a few days.

!!!!! willow is coming out and saw a goat who must have just had a kid - all good signs.

The bug sounds similar to what we had last year & I lost my appetite and a load of weight which was a plus but it did leave you very tired and worn out quickly for a while. You just have to go with it.
    That's interesting with the baby Goldfinch. I think you must have had it much milder than here.

We had storms in the night and the electric went off briefly but was back on soon after I'd got the candles sorted out. I see feed sacks & he like blown everywhere this morning so must retrieve those.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 15th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    alfie 1
    bit like a hard crossword puzzle trying to guess the !!!!! ....
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 5,591 Posts
    • 27,262 Thanks
    choille
    It's hard core - think fanny willow!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,208 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Could be Crack Willow (salix fragilis) but I wouldn't recommend smoking it.

Just played BT versus EE this morning at the 11th hour and got a better deal. £10/month is worth an hour's negotiating.

Silly thing is, BT own EE so they are bidding against themselves.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 15th Jan 18, 4:18 PM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    alfie 1
    It's hard core - think fanny willow!
    Originally posted by choille

amazing they allow the Fanny word but not the feline version
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 15th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 10,410 Posts
    • 58,277 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Evening all

Happy Choille Day!!!!

Weather was nice yesturday and then went down hill .very windy last night and loads of rain...

I signed up to a 10 week floristry class last week.so second class is tomorrow night. The tutor demonstrates one week and then we do the arrangement the following week (2 hours per class. Split into 2 one hour demonstration and one hour making what she deomstrated the week before )

Once the 10 weeks are up you can then enrol for another 10 weeks. This is a life long learning this with a local council. My council do a 30 week course. But that starts in September

It's nice to get out and do something different for a few hours
    Work to live= not live to work
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 5,591 Posts
    • 27,262 Thanks
    choille
    Could be Crack Willow (salix fragilis) but I wouldn't recommend smoking it.

Just played BT versus EE this morning at the 11th hour and got a better deal. £10/month is worth an hour's negotiating.

Silly thing is, BT own EE so they are bidding against themselves.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Dave are you serious about the crack Willow or was that just craic?

The phone thing sounds good.

We have had major electric peaks during the Summer which is weird as we don't have much that is electric - no electric heating, no electric cooker, no tumble drier. I don't iron, I don't hoover as it's wooden floors. I don't even have a toaster - use the LPG gas cooker's grill.
    Solid fuel cooker that fires the radiators and heats the water although there is an electric pump on that & use the immersion water heater which will be sole water heating in the summer when stove isn't on. We just have agricultural supply not full supply. They put on a meter to see if there was a variance & there isn't so we are due £400 electric bill which is eye watering.
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 5,591 Posts
    • 27,262 Thanks
    choille
    Good to hear from you CTC the flower course sounds really nice.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,208 Thanks
    Davesnave

It's nice to get out and do something different for a few hours
    Originally posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Yes, I've just spent a couple of hours pretending to be a cat that walks on its hind legs and speaks with a Cockney accent.

Somehow I don't think it'll be as useful as floristry, which sounds like a really good move CTC.

Looks like there's some tricky weather in the offing, so stay safe folks, especially those 'Oop norf.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,208 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Dave are you serious about the crack Willow or was that just craic?

The phone thing sounds good.

We have had major electric peaks during the Summer which is weird as we don't have much that is electric - no electric heating, no electric cooker, no tumble drier. I don't iron, I don't hoover as it's wooden floors. I don't even have a toaster - use the LPG gas cooker's grill.
    Solid fuel cooker that fires the radiators and heats the water although there is an electric pump on that & use the immersion water heater which will be sole water heating in the summer when stove isn't on. We just have agricultural supply not full supply. They put on a meter to see if there was a variance & there isn't so we are due £400 electric bill which is eye watering.
    Originally posted by choille
    Crack willow is a British species, but they all hybridise and it's hard to tell them apart. No idea exactly what ours are that are that type.

The phone/broadband thing, if any of you want to try it, means starting the switch to another provider, then, just a few days before the switch goes 'live,' contact the old provider and ask to speak to the retentions dept. They will offer you the very best deal they can in the hope of reversing the switch.

Can't help with the leccy, but if it's any help for reference, we are on about £3 a day , and that's after swapping to 100% LED lighting. We have a useless smart meter display thingy and all those gadgets you don't use.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,208 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The above character seems to have become fixated on a comment I made elsewhere, so he's been copying and pasting the same with gay abandon in answer to other posts today.

Ignore list +1.

EDIT: Oh look.....he's gone!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 17-01-2018 at 1:18 PM.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 16th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 3,930 Posts
    • 8,023 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    The above character seems to have become fixated on a comment I made elsewhere, so he's been copying and pasting the same with gay abandon in answer to other posts today.

Ignore list +1.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Doubt he'll be on the Forums much longer. We shall miss him sorely. He sounds like such a pleasant chap to have around, so constructive, such a way with words and people....

Edit: tried sending you a pm, but you were full up.... Has Half Term started there as well?
    Last edited by DaftyDuck; 16-01-2018 at 6:14 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,208 Thanks
    Davesnave

Edit: tried sending you a pm, but you were full up.... Has Half Term started there as well?
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    I got it.....3 times!

As fast as I was emptying the top of my inbox, it was filling up!

Did you get my reply?
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 16th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 3,930 Posts
    • 8,023 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Only once... ....

Yeah, must update the Fred; some news good, some less so, but lots of water voles and other sweeties, so can't be bad.... I will make time!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,208 Thanks
    Davesnave
    My only bit of news is that our £600 car, bought in a hurry, passed its MoT with no advisories today.

Now I'll get it serviced and we'll stick with it, at least while the roads remain so horribly messy. It's worse than usual all around us at present.

It was a swede year.
    • choille
    • By choille 17th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 5,591 Posts
    • 27,262 Thanks
    choille
    Alfie - Sad picture of grieving New Forest ponies I thought you'd be interested in the article.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ponies-roadside-vigil-herd-member-killed-motorist-grieving-new-forest-road-a8164181.html

Dave that is a good car. We are snowed in although the road is now slightly better than it was we can't get the car up the track.

Puppy found an amazing bone down the shore when we went for a walk - goodness knows what it's off - it's huge.

I have a hospital thing on Friday but I doubt I'll get out to attend it. It was supposed to be in November but somehow the request went missing even though it was marked urgent - as did 5 other peoples according to a receptionist I spoke with.
    The NHS is on it's knees - it's worrying.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,208 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Very sad about the pony, but probably impossible to do more than share awful events like this as publicly as possible. I know in the Forest of Dean so many youngsters were killing themselves on the roads, it was a strong issue in that area. Don't know if all the publicity made much difference.

My personal experience is limited to hitting an Exmoor sheep at 40 - 50 mph on my motorbike. The sheep walked away. I didn't!

I was quite cheerful today, but then I tried to log-in to HMRC to do our tax. That was at 14.45, but I can't get in. They're supposed to send an access code by 'phone, but by the time it comes through, the form has timed -out. Guess it's not only the NHS that's boogered. The sad thing is I don't need to fill in a tax form, as I applied for exemption, but DW neglected to do similarly...... She is definitely cooking dinner tonight!

In other news, a router arrived from EE today, so I rang them to ask what to do, since I'd cancelled their service. Having guaranteed that all their call centres are in the UK, I was surprised to hear a very foreign-sounding guy on the other end, which together with their noise cancelling headsets, meant that I couldn't understand a thing he was saying .....although it sounded positive and friendly. Luckily, I record 'official' conversations now (if all the big companies do, so can I ) so after feeding the recording into the computer, tweaking it and playing it a few times, the penny suddenly dropped.....He was a Geordie! Basically he was saying "It's a non-chargeable item, so you can have the router on us!"

Hope you get to your appt choille, but I hear there's another storm on the way....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

920Posts Today

7,776Users online

Martin's Twitter