Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,410Posts
    • 58,277Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 427
    • choille
    • By choille 1st Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    • 5,590 Posts
    • 27,260 Thanks
    choille
    Hope that the bug goes soon in your household Dave & Pushy cat get's better very soon too - Hair balls can be eased with some fish oil - a little cod liver oil - they will usually lick it out of the palm of your hand.

Missed a drama down the beach today but was told of a dog chasing a deer into the water but it was okay & it turned out it was one of puppy faces girly friends Bella who is quite a fiesty collie too. Glad it didn't get harmed just shocked. They had filmed it on their phone.
    Seems that on XMas day a woman - who lives down the road thought a seal pup was looking a bit pale & got no help locally as they just told her to leave well alone if it wasn't injured so she got the RSPCA out from the BlackIsle - a considerable distance away - 70 + miles. They arrived just in time to witness it sliding into the water looking refreshed after it's snooze.
    I get more gossip down the beach than anywhere else.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 1st Jan 18, 10:58 PM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 45,264 Thanks
    alfie 1
    years ago [90's] I had an rs pc a chap turn up where I lived with over 100 animogs of varying rescue.
    he knocked the door having walked past the paddock and pens they were all in.
    he just said " have you got someone who has a grudge against you "? I looked puzzled and he turned round and said " apparently all your animals have no food,no water and are starving. they are beaten and suffering ....like I said , who doesn't like you?"
    he burst out laughing then.. said the majority were a tad plump and could he play with Alfie my fox

I heard very few fireworks last night . usually we get the IOW ones and Southampton from a distance as well as here on the river but only a few down river.

im just too much of an evening sofa hugger to tart myself up ,drive , stay sober,yawn, drive home ,go to bed apparently in a new year...

im still looking for a rhottweiler pup for my son.. want the old type, longer nose, good square big frame.. but none at the moment which I guess is good as then not bought for xmas

well its now 2018 and im guessing some of you,like me will repeatedly cross out 2017 for at least a month

have a good year in advance peeps xx
    • choille
    • By choille 1st Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 5,590 Posts
    • 27,260 Thanks
    choille
    It's not funny Alfie re the RSPCA. We had them late Summer staring down the croft and they drove off before I could ask them but I think someone had phoned them & they were checking that all was well - which it is/was.

Because of the rain here last year people were struggling to get their sheep sheared & it could have been that - but if your sheep are soaking they can't be sheared - ours had been sheared just a few days prior to them appearing. People who had sheds could house them until they dried off & people were hiding their sheep we heard later on.

They need to go looking for the real cruel beggars, the puppy farms, the dog fighters etc.
    • Fay
    • By Fay 2nd Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 976 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    Fay
    Dave, I have no idea what stratifying is ether but I like you baffled the chap lol
    I'm nit going to sow seeds this year with a move imminent. I usually sow chillis new years day and crack them by the Aga. I may throw some tomatoes in depending when the house goes on the market but as it's highly unlikely I would be here to see th fruits I se no Point. Talking of the Aga, I've had my annual gas statement and I've used three times the uk average. I won't be having another when I move lol
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 3rd Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 23,972 Posts
    • 90,178 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Dave, I have no idea what stratifying is ether but I like you baffled the chap lol
    Originally posted by Fay
    I wouldn't expect you to know, Fay, nor even a p/t assistant in a garden centre, but the guy who owns it ought to have an inkling. It just means leaving dormant seed out in the frost to get some winter weather, which should 'wake' it, come spring....or spring 2019 if unlucky!

More important, he should try to keep compost under a rudimentary cover, at least in the winter time when turnover's slow andit can become very soggy.

Had Lila at the vet and she has a raised temperature, but he's a little unsure too. Standard dose of antibiotics and see how she goes....£75, thank you...Happy New Year!

Pete's busy. Another beech down on the hill into town, so that's 2020s firewood sorted. I have bits of the last one maturing in the shed now.

Hope those further north are OK. We had a few things go airborne and lightning knocked-out the power for a short while, but nothing unusual.

DW still v, unwell; others coughing and spluttering at Panto rehearsal...it doesn't bode well, especially as we've had a resignation and others swapping roles. No one will swap with me though! Perhaps we should do 'Mutiny on the Bounty?'
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • ukmaggie45
    • By ukmaggie45 3rd Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 2,803 Posts
    • 19,178 Thanks
    ukmaggie45
    DW still v, unwell; others coughing and spluttering at Panto rehearsal...it doesn't bode well, especially as we've had a resignation and others swapping roles. No one will swap with me though! Perhaps we should do 'Mutiny on the Bounty?'
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Sorry your DW is still unwell. If it's the coughy thing, it goes on for ages. About 6 weeks from my and OH's experience. Then I went down with something else (or possibly it was the original come back again to haunt me!) so we were very late getting back from caravan back in November, even had to put off picking up my new Motability car by a week as I wasn't well enough to travel.

So try not to worry too much - some of these viruses around this winter just keep on going. But I wish your DW an early improvement followed by swift total recovery. And if you ARE worried prob best to seek a GP appt - can't be too careful once one begins to hit pension age (though that's a movable feast these days!).
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 3rd Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 23,972 Posts
    • 90,178 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Thanks maggie. It's probably the 'coughy thing.'

DW contracted pneumonia in her 20s and has had a respiratory weakness ever since. She already has a hospital appt re ongoing problems, but ironically, it might need to be cancelled.

She won't be of pension age for another 10 years, but I know what you mean. We'll look at a doctor appt if she's no better by Friday.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 3rd Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    • 10,410 Posts
    • 58,277 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Evening all

Think I got a bit of post reading to catch up on 😎😎😎
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Jan 18, 7:05 AM
    • 23,972 Posts
    • 90,178 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Evening all

Think I got a bit of post reading to catch up on 😎😎😎
    Originally posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Hello CTC...A Happy New Year to you....I know prosperous might be more difficult!

I'm having a small drive to cut costs here. When the new BT Smart Hub I'd bargained-for didn't arrive, despite two assurances that it would, I sat down and looked for an alternative provider. Being out in the sticks, we have a grand total of 4 to choose from, and guess what? BT has a finger in all of their pies!

No matter, I've plumped for one of the others and we'll save £20 a month.

Lila is better. Eating well and out all day yesterday, so that's a relief. DW still poorly, but we got half the decorations down. For many people that might not be a big deal, but it is here. You've never seen so much tat! I don't know why it always takes 90mins to choose the tree, as no one can see it when it's decorated!

Izzy is looking guilty, but the cats don't mess with the tree. Don't be fooled by the radiator either; it's not been on and probably never will be, so long as we have a wood burner.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 5th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3,930 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    That's not guilt - it's pure, undiluted contempt. Who, in their right mind, would have a Christmas tree in front of a radiator, rather than have the radiator on full, with radiator bed. Trees are for light decoration, including catnip mice!

Unfortunately, ours is already "down". .... so no photos. Didn't last long, if I'm honest...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Jan 18, 12:04 AM
    • 23,972 Posts
    • 90,178 Thanks
    Davesnave
    T
    Unfortunately, ours is already "down". .... so no photos. Didn't last long, if I'm honest...
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    I saw the plantation owner at rehearsal this week.

I said, "We had the best tree ever from you, this year."

"Ah," he replied, "I knew there was a good 'un in there somewhere. Glad you found it!"

I have the coughy, snuffle-cold lurgy thing now. It hasn't affected me as badly as it has DW, but I'm pooped.

Tree is on the bonfire pile, a whole week before Choille Day. Can't say I'm not prepared this year, but will the weather co-operate?
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 7th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 10,410 Posts
    • 58,277 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Thank you Dave. Haply New year to you too.

If it wasn't for the fact Alfie phoned me this week, I didn't realise I hadn't been on here in ages, time has flown by, and TBH nothing has changed. Except I have got a bit older. A bit bigger (out weight on) and cut my hair short and changed it's colour.
    My insect breeding is going well. And slowing starting to get some sales..
    Garden is still a mess, and pigs are doing well. No poultry due to the flipping mink. But might try again with some chickens in the spring.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 7th Jan 18, 8:44 PM
    • 10,410 Posts
    • 58,277 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK

If it wasn't for the fact Alfie phoned me this week, I didn't realise I hadn't been on here in ages, time has flown by, and TBH nothing has changed. Except I have got a bit older. A bit bigger (out weight on) and cut my hair short and changed it's colour.
    Garden is still a mess, and pigs are doing well. No poultry due to the flipping mink. But might try again with some chickens in the spring.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 7th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 45,264 Thanks
    alfie 1

Originally posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK

is that incase we didn't hear you the first time ...or the onset of oldtimers
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 8th Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 45,264 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all.

not a lot happening here ... weather has been dry-ish [after floods! ] but is chilly. ive been sneaking some of last years hay down the track to a group of forest ponies that travel up and down the road here. one is an elderly grey mare and I worry ! not supposed to but theres like a wide opening and 50m track before the cattlegrid onto our track so plonk out some sections of hay under cover of darkness.... all I do is whistle and call and they [aprox 6-8 ] appear

discovered I have 3 cats going into my summer house for nosh so am now emptying 1 can a day [plus bikkies]
    one is next doors which is the size of a dog ! and the other 2 are stray/wild ones.. if its dark and I go out in the dark I see 2 pairs of glowing eyes in the bushes waiting...

still having no joy re a rottweiller puppy tried ALL the rescues but nothing under 1 year old. I would have an any age dog but son wants to train one and see it grow up. have put name down for any that come in after the xmas "mistakes" ....

im sat looking at my garden and know theres not much I can do albeit son did get a cut on the top lawn.. I want to hack down some bushes so they just sprout fress but don't want to annihilate them if we get bad frosts/freeze..

have to sort out putting the greenhouse in to position

in short, im sat in the warm, cuppa in hand looking at what I COULD / SHOULD be doing .....and doing BU++AR all !!!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 23,972 Posts
    • 90,178 Thanks
    Davesnave
    in short, im sat in the warm, cuppa in hand looking at what I COULD / SHOULD be doing .....and doing BU++AR all !!!
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Sounds like a plan to me!

DW is still unwell. Visited Drs and was told she needed ECG and blood tests, so phoned me, a bit freaked out!

Then I freaked too, because I'm still poorly (now have the squits ) the van's battery is dead and I thought they might not let her drive home, or perhaps need her to go to Barnstaple. I really didn't fancy the walk to the car in my condition.. Only 1.5 miles, but.....

Anyway, great relief all round, as all was normal.......well, apart from my tum.

According to local lore, there are two bugs going around in the village this winter and we have one each. They both take ages to go away. Dr told DW she should expect at least another week of hers.

I shall not seek a medical opinion on mine!

Anyway, I know what you mean. Walked through the garden en route to the hens and thought, "How the heck am I going to sort this mess out?" It always looks dull, dead, soggy, miserable and just plain awful at this time of year; nothing like those crisp, frost-sparkly gardens in the glossy magazines.

They are a LIE!!!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 11th Jan 18, 7:03 PM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 45,264 Thanks
    alfie 1
    ok peeps

WATCH THE HORIZON "DOWN SOUTH" TOMOROW ABOUT 10AM !!

if you see a plume of smoke ...its me , exploding into a temper tantrum re the holiday house..

owner has "called a meeting" re all the shinanigins over xmas ..
    me ? im not that bothered and cant be ar*ed with it all if "pompous git" turn up and puts her 10 penneth in ... but I will go out in style
    if she wants the contract, she is welcome because I KNOW she isn't going to turn out on a night to sort a problem and owners costs will triple !! he wont last a week with her demands...
    money is handy but not so vital that I get treated like a toddler ! as I told her before, as I look after a £9m property for 14 years so far ,I must be getting something right..

I think the devil in me wants to make her look a complete idiot and then leave her to it....

did a full body slam today .. walked briskly across wet patio area at work [old York stone] and went straight up on my buttttt .. had all the dogs with me [7] and was holding a pan of fish pellets which shot up in the air scattering them over me and the ground to which 7 greedy dogs dived in.. absolutely ignoring me prone on the floor ... I survived but have the mother of all bruises on my right hip
    so im now heading for a lovely deep HOT bath
    • choille
    • By choille 11th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 5,590 Posts
    • 27,260 Thanks
    choille
    Hi CTC - Hope all is well.

Been dry here and cold but being dry for a change makes such a difference to all the mud.

The holidoid let sound like a pain in bottom. I used to do one hat was more often than not a reet pain - they had my phone number and once got a call because the fire had gone out - they didn't realise that they had to put wood on it. It was not well paid so I eventually gave it up as it wasn't nice some of the messes that were left = often.

Elderly neighbours have gone into a home for a while but it's all a bit vague - I've done a fair bit of shopping for them and general bits and bobs over the years, putting their bin out, picking up prescriptions and stuff from the town etc but popped down to see them & it was like we were the enemy.

I've phoned a couple of times as they were supposed to be back yesterday but seems they are staying a bit longer but she wouldn't come to the phone to speak to me - so I am a bit confused and hurt as I feel I've just been blanked out after 16 years or so.

The cold weather makes you tired - well it does me so after a couple of brisk walks I feel not fit for much else. Just doing the basics and not progressing much.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 23,972 Posts
    • 90,178 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Just doing the basics and not progressing much.
    Originally posted by choille
    That sums it up here too. Got rid of the hedgehogs running around my tum, but I'm still a bundle of lethargy. DW is much improved, but she started from a lower base, so it'll be a while yet....

Don't worry over the elderly neighbours, who probably weren't coping and may have developed a few mental health issues before someone decided they needed care. If they don't know what's really happened, or why, they'll blame anyone. Hopefully, you'll talk with them properly when they're well. They may not remember much, though.

Take it steady alfie. Save you energies for things and people that matter, like the animogs and employers who look after you.
    • choille
    • By choille 11th Jan 18, 10:08 PM
    • 5,590 Posts
    • 27,260 Thanks
    choille
    Sorry that you and Mrs Dave are under the weather - not great. Hope that things improve really soon for you both.

Neighbours have been quite a worry really so it is good that they are somewhere where they will be looked after full time as I don't think she was coping too good as he wouldn't do a thing - not a thing at all. She even shaved him & other stuff - I don't know how she's coped really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,114Posts Today

8,318Users online

Martin's Twitter