Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,406Posts
    • 58,259Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 423
    • choille
    • By choille 18th Nov 17, 4:48 PM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    choille
    We chanced on an Art-Type festival at Foress a couple of years ago and the costumes were amazing - it was like Alice in Wonderland crossed with Pink Floyds brick in the wall. We've never seen it advertised since - we didn't know it was on when we just happened to go there.

The Ullapool Christmas tree was amazing last year - made from lobster creels - sounds terrible but it was incredible and all the fishing boats had lights strung about them so it was a nice thing to go and see. Easy pleased we are.

That float carnival is incredible. So thanks for sharing that.

Just in after three beach walk and pup met his favourite g/f a lovely little collie that play together and run miles over the sand quite happily until pup pup tries to take the romance a little too far too soon.........
    His voice has broken I think. He's just starting to shave - he's getting spots!

Off to fill the trailer with wood this afternoon which was a good haul. I love free wood, free anything - I'm cheap.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 20th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 45,179 Thanks
    alfie 1
    dank dark day here today..

been poorly all weekend, not sure but may be my shingles back...

should have had the dentist this morning, got there, felt terrible and must have looked it as dentist postponed ...

I really hate it when I feel unwell, I feel cheated of time to do things that need doing if that makes sense..

right off to carry buckets of water to the 2 mini's in the corall ... we are getting a pipe from the troughs in the fields so we have a perm water supply to it. that's where tilly will have her foal as it has a big shelter there too.

oh poop its started to drizzle now ...
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 20th Nov 17, 3:02 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    November is such a bloody miserable month, apart from my birthday at the start it just seems to drag on and on.

The owner of the brewery I'm working at has decided to liquidate it so I have work until the 30th then I am once again a free agent. Unfortunately there isn't much chance of getting more work in Cornwall as most of the other breweries are really struggling too so I'm applying for a few jobs in Scotland! We were going up to Glasgow for Xmas to see my in-laws-to-be anyway so will probably go up early and see if I can get some interviews.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 20th Nov 17, 3:48 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Just had a heartstopping twenty seconds. My office window looks to my fields, and then over further fields for miles. Two Eurofighters were "playing" several thousand feet up. One of them then just tumbled, in a stall, I guess, coming right down and looking completely out of control. There was the most almighty racket, and it seemed to just pull itself out through belting out maximum power and bright afterburners, still not looking very controlled. There was vapour (smoke? probably not) pouring from the wing edges, and it pulled out, probably well below a thousand feet - low enough that all the birds took off in a cloud, and even my plumber emerged, shaken, from the floorboards.

Both planes then bu55ered off.

At an airshow - spectacular. Behind my house - hope never again!

Anyway, despite the fact my heating system was (was) belting out titanium-melting temperatures a few weeks back (when it was warm outside), now is the planned time to replace the radiators, so it's all off again. My excellent planning knows no limitations.

Alfie, I love your magnetic logs - I would have posted a picture of my tidy next-year heap but, with perfect timing, I chopped up and sawed up all the carpy difficult bits (why do we leave the knackering bits to the end? Good planning again) that don't stack well, so what looked quite smart like yours now looks.... a mess! Oh well, at least I can dream of heat!

Oh, and the wood burners are both on. They are warming up the two rooms where said plumber is working.... At least somebody is toasty!

Brrrr

Edit: just looking a Youtube videos of stalling Eurofighters... it stalled. No, in fact, IT STALLED, spectacularly! Blimey, that was scary!
    Last edited by DaftyDuck; 20-11-2017 at 3:51 PM.
    • choille
    • By choille 20th Nov 17, 4:43 PM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    choille
    Hope that it isn't the shingles back Alfie - It's really bad. Hope you perk up soon.

Chesapeake - I was shocked to hear that the huge malt distilleries owned now by Diagio only employ a couple of people. I met a man who had a breakdown working for them when they took over as everything is now electronic and he was working on his own throughout the night and he said if anything went wrong there was no one to discuss it with and it was multi-millions of pounds worth of whisky. He'd worked there a long time prior to that.
    So don't know if I would want to work for such a company as that. Hope the job hunt goes well.

Dafty , the Eurofighters go over here very occasionally and seem to just lift up before smacking into the mountain - it's heartstopping. I don't like jets going over so glad it's rare here. I've been above them as they've chased each other down a glen - that was weird.

Gosh it's suddenly dark - been a bracing cold crisp day but dry mostly - how odd is that, so went to a different beach with pup pup & he loved that too.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 20th Nov 17, 4:57 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 45,179 Thanks
    alfie 1
    choille... can we see a pic of PUP PUP pleeeeease
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 21st Nov 17, 9:38 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    choille... can we see a pic of PUP PUP pleeeeease
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Seconded! Always need pics!
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 21st Nov 17, 9:41 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Chesapeake

Chesapeake - I was shocked to hear that the huge malt distilleries owned now by Diagio only employ a couple of people. I met a man who had a breakdown working for them when they took over as everything is now electronic and he was working on his own throughout the night and he said if anything went wrong there was no one to discuss it with and it was multi-millions of pounds worth of whisky. He'd worked there a long time prior to that.
    So don't know if I would want to work for such a company as that. Hope the job hunt goes well.

Originally posted by choille
    I could never work for one of the huge soul-sucking multinationals, one of them owns Sharps in Cornwall and even though they are hiring I'd never apply.

Saying that I am going to apply to BrewDog up in Aberdeen, they have a beautiful shiny brewery and make enough money I should never have to worry about redundancy
    • choille
    • By choille 23rd Nov 17, 1:31 PM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    choille
    Pup pup in the bad books as he's started chasing the hens. he can get out of his harness like Houdini.

He can't be out and about when they are out.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Nov 17, 11:30 PM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Evening all. I hope you're feeling better, alfie and that the heating is finally with you, or with you soon, Dafty, as I think we're moving into some colder stuff.

Not a lot to report from down here, where DW is frantically painting again in a final dash before the seasonal titivations. We were supposed to have the conservatory floor done and carpet laid in the hallway and bedroom1 before Christmas, but the company we use, although good, are just like everyone else around here.... s - l - o - w ! No date and I can't see it happening before New Year.

However, the plumbers are imminent. They still have 2 radiators to install in the living room + one in the conservatory for occasional use. Also, we need a shower plumbed-into the bathroom. Experience shows the living room doesn't need a couple of large radiators, as planned, since we've had no heating in there at all this autumn and not really noticed. It's lucky we waited on that.

I'm just doing a bit of this and that, most of it involving digging more holes and filling them with rubble, or having very smelly bonfires. Last week, I built a 3.5m planting bed, walled in local stone, dry-style with no mortar. I thought it would take 3-4 hours, but it took me 3 days!

What else? Oh, the Panto script has arrived and grandson Sam, now advancing towards 3 in January, is to be Joseph in the nursery nativity play..... That takes me back to memories of those; particularly the famous rehearsal where an exasperated colleague, threw baby Jesus at the scenery! Oh, and there was the real performance where his parents forgot him, so he arrived bum-slide style from the wings....wheeee!

Sorry things are not so good in your brewery, Chesapeake, but you don't sound too down about it. There has been a huge growth in micro-breweries, which is probably now running ahead of the growth in consumption, so I guess something has to give. I would like to help them out, but I'm not a drinker now....it falls out almost as soon as I pour it in.

Pup-pup might be trainable choille. I trainedour retriever not to chase sheep when I was a lad, but she was very biddable. I even trained her not to play in the river upstream of me when we were out fishing.....and to tell me when there was anyone about, of course!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 24th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    @Dave I don't see the point in getting down about it, it totally sucks especially at this time of year but there's nothing I can do except try to find another job ASAP.

The best point for me is that land in Scotland is cheap cheap cheap! For the price of 15 acres of bare fields in Cornwall we could buy a 50 acre farm with buildings in Scotland... I'm already making plans haha.
    • choille
    • By choille 24th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    choille
    Hi Dave - you do get stuff done. I seem to be just treading water at the moment.

We have a covering of snow today and we had a lightening & thunder in the night - so looks like the thunder snow is starting again.

We can't really go out far but will have to make do - as you do.

Alfie has given me some good tips regarding Pup Pup, so will see how I get on. I don't let him run about when the hens are out but he slipped out of his harness - he was on a long line. I must discourage it as I hardly have any hens left after the Summer predator - whatever that was. But want to keep what I have.

Chesapeke - land varies in price considerably throughout Scotland - It's a country not a region. It depends on where abouts you are looking. I think Cornwall is very expensive. It's much more expensive to build here and materials are harder and more expensive. I wish you luck with it.

Off down the croft to see what tracks are about now we have a covering of the white stuff.
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 25th Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 5,703 Thanks
    pink poppy
    Last week, I built a 3.5m planting bed, walled in local stone, dry-style with no mortar. I thought it would take 3-4 hours, but it took me 3 days!
    Originally posted by Davesnave

That is something I would love to do. I fancy doing a course or volunteering to learn how to do dry stone walling.

We quite often get Typhoons (??) going over where I live, what a racket they make. I think they get them (or something similar) going over Dumfries & Galloway as well, so that's something we're going to have to look into when we move.

Talking of which... still no further forward with the move. We have a lot of work to do in the house before putting it on the market, with zero motivation to do any of it. What's that phrase when you don't know where to start, paralysis analysis or something?? That's us.
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th Nov 17, 6:28 PM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I fancy doing a course or volunteering to learn how to do dry stone walling.
    Originally posted by pink poppy
    You'll notice I haven't put a picture up !

I'm sure there is a 'proper' way to do it, but here the sandstone usually splits quite well along the bedding planes, so we get a lot of reasonably flat stones which go together OK. In Bath I had to use mortar to get anywhere at all.

I built this bed up against the elm hedge bank which separates our property from the private road, At this time of year, the leaves fall off and there are gaps which reduce our privacy. The original laid trees are over 100 years old, with roots that go every which way, so it's impossible to add more young elm to fill the gaps, because the competition's too much; it all dries out in summer and they die.

The bed is opposite the end of our conservatory and the plan is to fill it with tough evergreen shrubs and some rockery/ trailing stuff to go over the edges etc. So, in a year or two, no one will be able to see us living the high life through those gaps and the west wind won't whistle through them either!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    We have a lot of work to do in the house before putting it on the market, with zero motivation to do any of it. What's that phrase when you don't know where to start, paralysis analysis or something?? That's us.
    Is it worth it? Price-up the cost of the work and consider whether just marketing at that much below the usual price might get you where you want to be faster.

We tarted-up our last place. If we hadn't been delayed by that we'd have missed the recession.

Given the option, we wouldn't do it again.
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 28th Nov 17, 11:07 AM
    • 961 Posts
    • 5,703 Thanks
    pink poppy
    You'll notice I haven't put a picture up !
    Originally posted by Davesnave

Aw, that's a shame, I was hoping you would I was admiring a new dry stone wall when we were stuck in roadworks in the Summer. I may have taken a photo

Is it worth it? Price-up the cost of the work and consider whether just marketing at that much below the usual price might get you where you want to be faster.
    by Davesnave;

There's a big hole in the kitchen ceiling and a hole in the bath, which has been glued with araldite so that we can still use it. Both have been like that for months *embarrassed smilie*... I've already crossed a few jobs off my mental list of things to do, but those two are non-negotiable haha.
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 28th Nov 17, 9:44 PM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    There's a big hole in the kitchen ceiling and a hole in the bath,
    Pft! Minor details!

This is DD1's kitchen just after she bought her house:

The bath also needed a bit of work:

I know what you mean about bath holes though. DW was standing on a chair in ours, painting in our old house's bathroom, when there was a crash and a chair leg went through the bottom. Replacing that may have been the first time I used eBay, but for quite a long time before I got around to it there was a glassfibre patch, covered in car body filler.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 29th Nov 17, 4:15 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Skinny dog arrived from local rescue home, snuggled on my feet. I am not happy...

I'd forgotten how much nervous dogs fart!

Good job I don't smoke, or we'd both explode....

He's sweet, took fifteen minutes for the cats to sort out they were boss (they had no doubts at all), he then fell asleep on my feet, so I can't move, so wifey has to go out in the rain to put farm to sleep, while I suffer from warm feet and snoring.

He's so relaxed compared with three hours ago, when he was a nervous shivering jelly.

Paaaarp!

Oh jeez, wish I was out in the wet!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 29th Nov 17, 11:37 PM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I'd forgotten how much nervous dogs fart!

.....Oh jeez, wish I was out in the wet!
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    From what I remember, dogs don't need the excuse of being nervous. Cats are so much more refined.

Wet? We've had a glorious day here, though we pre-paid for it with a harsh frost last night. Probably another tonight too. If it kills the white fly in the polytunnel, it'll be worth it.

I'm not coping well with these short days. There's so much I'd like to be doing, but it's just not happening. By the time all the routine stuff is out of the way, the light's fading fast.

Standing in a flooring shop the other day at about 15.30, we could hardly tell one sample from another. It's a place with large windows...so much better than artificial lighting under normal circumstances, but now nothing's normal.

Yesterday I thought I'd squeezed in an hour, but then Pete turned-up to give the sheep yet more shots, so it was back to more human herding, there being no sign of the new sheepdog.......
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 30th Nov 17, 8:04 PM
    • 23,357 Posts
    • 90,775 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Himself has a temporary job with a relatively well known group on tour. The pay is good and if all goes well, they'll have him back for their next couple of tours which he could travel to easily enough. I might see him for a few hours each weekend when he pops back until he finishes the job, a couple of days before Christmas.

Other things have slotted into place financially whilst he's been away - pay rise, backpay, a couple of old liabilities cleared, etc, etc.

We technically have enough in the bank to move to a rental property and pay the bills for a full six months before getting a job would become Something That Should Be Done Fairly Soon.

Nothing being advertised that is 'right', but the average rents seem to have decreased by about £85 a month from summer.

I wonder whether we might just do it in 2018?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

430Posts Today

2,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin