Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,406Posts
    • 58,259Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 418
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Oct 17, 10:02 AM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,656 Thanks
    Davesnave
    That photo of the forestry track is pretty shocking, I can't believe they managed to make such a mess in such a short time. Do you have any recourse if they don't repair it or is it someone elses land?
    Originally posted by Chesapeake
    I spoke to the owner yesterday, who said the main track should be reinstated shortly, as even he couldn't get down there at present. Considering he's at least 25 - 30 years younger than me, I think he meant on an ATV.

I don't see how the side track which runs along the bottom of the slope can be sorted-out quickly. It will just have to be nature that fixes it.

I can miss it out by following the river anyway. However I'm hoping to ask another land owner if I can access this bit of river via his fields which are just opposite our house. Much easier.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • choille
    • By choille 5th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    choille
    Track looks like mush. Goodness, looks as if it's bee as wet there as here.

It just won't stop raining. We have the machinery arrived to do ours but it won't start until the weekend/Monday and have to trim back branches first - just would rather do that when it's dry.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Oct 17, 9:02 AM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,656 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Track looks like mush. Goodness, looks as if it's bee as wet there as here.
    Originally posted by choille
    Not really.

If I get all geological for a minute, we have fairly free draining sandstone on the hills and plateaus around here, but down in the river valleys there's a thick layer of clays and shale in which very little will grow. That's why they've tended to plant conifers there in the past 100 years.

When the water drains down to the lower levels, it hits the clay, gets stuck and comes to the surface. Even in June, when the river was only around 4' wide in places, there were wee ponds where springs emerge under the trees.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • choille
    • By choille 10th Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    choille
    .....still raining.................
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Oct 17, 6:40 AM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,656 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Not too bad here, but everything's damp, so when the breeze gets up and things dry out, it becomes grass cutting time; it's still growing like mad. When it drizzles, into the polytunnel to sort out the potted nursery stock, kill off the vine weevil grubs and divide etc. Days/money spent now will reap rewards next year.

We've finally received all our logs, but the hardwood won't be any good this winter, so it's just as well that we have plenty received last year! With the oil price low and the weather mild, we've been lazy and haven't lit the wood burner yet.

The P word has been mentioned, but I understand there's no sign of a script yet. With three adults and two of the most talented youngsters unable to participate this year, it's worrying. Finding replacements won't be easy, especially as most people have an idea of the commitment required, once one is roped-in!
    • choille
    • By choille 11th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    choille
    We've been trimming & sawing down trees that were really planted too close together to start with or have self seeded. It's amazing to us to see what was once bare ground with huge trees on - the shrubbery was without anything and now it's choked with trees. Found apple trees that were totally over shadowed that I'd forgotten about. I think I bought them cheap out of LIDLs or Morrissons.
    Thought I'd lost more hens as the noise coming from their direction was loud but by the time I ran down there was nothing to be seen. Two missing hens appeared back so I don't know what happened. But can't be here or vigilant all the time.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 13th Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 45,179 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all

sorry been reading but have had a TIHS week !

weather here is up and down like a tarts knick's... cant plan anything !
    ive started jobs only to have to run inside when the heavens open. I am trying to get the base sorted for this greenhouse but its a tad bigger than originally thought AND the ground gradient where I intended to site , is now appearing to defying a mountain goat .

friends mum died 2 weeks ago, funeral Monday so sad in that household..
    mum had a bad faint thing yesterday and she was taken home, doctor called, who rang back and gave her an appointment for Monday !! needless to say she didn't tell me right away due to me probably doing my bull elephant impression .... I went to see the doctor today and stated that at 86, a recent stroke victim and that was after similar faints, that if ANYONE calls on behalf of my mother for a home visit I strongly advise you to do just that !! being of a generation that doesn't "like to make a fuss".. I told him I AM NOT of that generation...
    had he turned up within hours of the episode there was more chance to check blood pressures/heart etc.
    ive told her and her friends if it happens again and they are worried just call a paramedic..

its sad to see someone more worried about being a burden than themselves..

my son is looking for a Rottweiler pup/youngster.. we have scoured the area but none, checked every rescue from here to Scotland ! most seem to be above the M4/M25 ..

sorry to have a grump folks, just seems to be ongoing hassles here at the mo !!

its forecast [cough] to be a good warm week starting sunday... we will see..............
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Oct 17, 1:38 AM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,656 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Grrr.... I know what you mean about the 'bull elephant impression' alfie. I did it when a receptionist questioned an urgent home visit for my Mum who was also saying "Don't make a fuss!" I was only a youngster, but I recognised signs for internal bleeding, so I wanted something to happen quickly....

Mum had a brain aneuyrsm and was operated-on successfully same day. Nowadays, I'd just dial 999.

Had an interesting visit from people who lived in our bungalow back in the 1980/90s. They were fairly disorientated by what we'd done to 'their place,' but it might have helped a little, because they've bought a bungalow in a different area and need inspiration. A few subtle hints suggested that they're missing the village, which isn't so easily replaced.

Speaking of the village, it had its first full meeting of the new Community Land Trust this week. The Trust has been set up with the initial aim of building 10 affordable homes for local families, as an attempt to stop the village becoming just another oldies-only enclave. The council will look favourably on any scheme put forward, (within reason!) so the Trust should be able to get planning on what would otherwise remain agricultural land....at an agricultural sort of price. That's the idea, anyway.

Who says we village folk are all NIMBYs?

Hope next week is better for you and your Mum, alfie....and that choille gets some of the warm & dry.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 14-10-2017 at 1:40 AM.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Oct 17, 10:53 AM
    • 12,251 Posts
    • 216,232 Thanks
    greenbee
    I'm dealing with a second-hand greenhouse too Alfie. I've got the base down, and my brother is currently taking it apart. He seems to think it would be less effort to get a new one, but despite the need to get some more glass, and all the rubber seals and clips, I'm pretty sure it will be considerably cheaper than starting from scratch! Apparently it needs a good scrub too...
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 14th Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 45,179 Thanks
    alfie 1
    I'm dealing with a second-hand greenhouse too Alfie. I've got the base down, and my brother is currently taking it apart. He seems to think it would be less effort to get a new one, but despite the need to get some more glass, and all the rubber seals and clips, I'm pretty sure it will be considerably cheaper than starting from scratch! Apparently it needs a good scrub too...
    Originally posted by greenbee

this one is about ... well 150 inches x 100 inches .. it has ONE piece glass sections ,so no clips just bars over uprights holding glass.. so after glass is removed , then the plan is to get a person on each corner, lift the frame, walk from next door via their drive ,up lane into my gate at end of my garden... easy peasy ????

I intend to wood board the back half so it becomes a shed/greenhouse combi... it has double doors so can get mower in etc...
    sounds easy
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 12,251 Posts
    • 216,232 Thanks
    greenbee
    Good luck Alfie!

I actually have no idea how the greenhouse my brother is taking apart is constructed. Hopefully he'll know what I need... and tell me in advance.

I seem to have a backlog of garden waste, not helped by forgetting to put it out when I left for work on Thursday morning and being away on Thursday night. Compost bins are full. Seven bags of garden waste waiting for disposal and I need to clear the stream. But I've gone off going to the tip as I kept getting punctures. Wonder whether I can persuade my brother to take them...
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 14th Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 7,886 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    I walked a greenhouse - minus the glass - round by the road, from one drive to the other. It was lighter than we had imagined. We did use two ropes to the base, over our shoulder like yokes. Worked well. Luckily, no traffic. It even just fitted through the gate!

Serious tip for recycled greenhouses, learned from bitter experience in last year's storm Doris, don't mix different types/ages of glass wire clips. Did that, and the very slight difference in tension on various panes meant the whole frame flexed. One single pane then popped.... Then one more... Then one more.... Then...

Still finding shards of glass!

Loads of photos help reconstruct old greenhouses, lots of WD40 on the bolts helps take them apart and together again.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 23,355 Posts
    • 90,763 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I seem to have acquired foxes in my tiny garden since the garages were finally completely flattened this week, ready for the flat pack houses to go up. The cats are most displeased.

I suppose I definitely won't have to worry about mice for the winter. Or what to do if one of the cats decides they don't like their preferred brand of cat food anymore.

Still not impressed. I was holding out for a random cat deciding to have little black kittens in the shed. Bloke would have been defenceless against that sort of situation, especially as I would have left it until the 6-7 week mark before unleashing the cuteness of a squad of tiny, big-eyed, pointy-cornered fluffballs upon him.

Speaking of Bloke, he's got himself a meeting with a chairman and secretary of some posh festival next week. Apparently, these sort of people don't have interviews, they have meetings. I suppose interviews are what you do when some classical music magazine gets in touch for a feature. Most of it is working from home and flexible/outside standard hours, so a contract doing that for six months would help for the future, as he could do it anywhere.

I'm in the process of trying to negotiate some time in Primary School Outreach at work, purely because I've worked out that there are lots of primaries in Devon, but the secondaries seem to be rather large and take from a wide area, so experience with the smaller ones could help get more choice of jobs.

Oh, and the wedding's been postponed. We have no money and he has been rubbish at arranging anything. I suspect the sudden flurry of jobseeking activity might have something to do with the reality check of 'We aren't getting married because I cannot afford it as well as keep a roof over our heads and pay all the bills.' Plus a bit more malcontent expressed after that point. A bit? Both barrels. Both barrels? More like an entire fleet of battleships.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Oct 17, 10:44 PM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,656 Thanks
    Davesnave

Loads of photos help reconstruct old greenhouses, lots of WD40 on the bolts helps take them apart and together again.
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    I need to get all the sticky plastic butterfly transfers off the glass before I try re-assembly! Lovely lady, but she had one of those 'plastic thingies from Poundland' gardens that Monty Don never seems to introduce on the telly....

Multi-tasking here: mowing, draining, re-potting, weevilling etc in the absence of DW, who has gone off to Leicester to buy appropriate clothes for an Indian wedding. As I'm getting out of said ceremony, which might go on for over a week, I haven't complained.....

Today, Pete brought us a trailer, so it looks as if he's willing to make the massive pile of earth out front vanish. I think we can lose a couple of loads filling dips in the field. Then it might be down to river bank strengthening....

Village Market was very weakly attended today. I have a feeling we may be preparing plants for just the gate sales next year, but those have gone well this summer. We might hope to double them in the future, which would be enough.
    • choille
    • By choille 14th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    choille
    Weddings don't have to be expensive. Weddings don't even have to occur. But what would I know - OH and I have been together for nearly 30 years without any formal or otherwise ceremony. We aren't religious and I like to think I'm a bit of a libertine so why should I go through some sort of ritual organised by the state or church - no thank you. Would rather not get involved in that.

Hope everyone is okay and battening down the hatches - we seem to have had a year of gales and nasty weather - I wonder if it will be as bad as they say?

The electric company have been round taking out trees under power lines so that should help & I think nearly all the old wobbly trees came down in the last hurricane we had here - although with all the rain all year it would be easy for more to come down.

I seem to still be getting my chicks picked off one at a time - during the day. I've set an humane trap but it's too wiley what ever it is. Found a fresh Pine Marten spraint on top of a stump of a tree we had to take down so that might be the culprit.

The pair of Scot's Greys are roosting up a tree so I have to fish them down & put them in the house at night - can't take the chance. I could clip their wings but feel it would make them too vulnerable. At least if they can flap up a tree it may save their necks. I do hope so as they are so gorgeous. My Favourite breed and the oldest in Scotland. 400 years. The original crofter's hen.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 15th Oct 17, 12:01 AM
    • 23,355 Posts
    • 90,763 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Weddings don't have to be expensive. Weddings don't even have to occur. But what would I know - OH and I have been together for nearly 30 years without any formal or otherwise ceremony. We aren't religious and I like to think I'm a bit of a libertine so why should I go through some sort of ritual organised by the state or church - no thank you. Would rather not get involved in that.

Hope everyone is okay and battening down the hatches - we seem to have had a year of gales and nasty weather - I wonder if it will be as bad as they say?

The electric company have been round taking out trees under power lines so that should help & I think nearly all the old wobbly trees came down in the last hurricane we had here - although with all the rain all year it would be easy for more to come down.

I seem to still be getting my chicks picked off one at a time - during the day. I've set an humane trap but it's too wiley what ever it is. Found a fresh Pine Marten spraint on top of a stump of a tree we had to take down so that might be the culprit.

The pair of Scot's Greys are roosting up a tree so I have to fish them down & put them in the house at night - can't take the chance. I could clip their wings but feel it would make them too vulnerable. At least if they can flap up a tree it may save their necks. I do hope so as they are so gorgeous. My Favourite breed and the oldest in Scotland. 400 years. The original crofter's hen.
    Originally posted by choille
    I don't object to the idea in principle, ie, a bit of a party to celebrate wanting to be together, and I think his Dad, who is a lawyer, has made subtle overtures about potential inheritance and medical matters with an ex wife who still uses her married name and describes herself as his wife, despite having divorced him eight years ago - before we met.

He's one of the crappest Catholics in the world, but still Catholic (and yes, that was quite a surprise to find out) so it's important to him - any legalese input from his Dad has been after the fact, but kind of encourages it.

If we're going to do it, I'm not catching the bus to the crappy Registry Office round the corner from work, sidestepping the beggars and street drunks and then going back to work afterwards and having to pay out a few hundred quid for the privilege; we are going to go to somewhere (cheap) near where he grew up, where his family can attend and we can then have a mini reception afterwards - preferably as part of having moved down there. Especially if I'm paying for it.

I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 15th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 7,886 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    We eloped! Twenty five years ago, this Friday just gone, so silver anniversary .... which meant a trip to Town, Wetherspoons for lunch, and tea in Wilkinsons, opposite the bus station. I do know how to spoil a gal, see?

Mind you, supper was rather more exotic and expensive.

Wedding was in a garden by a Tropical beach, with exotic flowers and birds around us, just us and a vicar, with a locally-sourced runner-up Miss World as bridesmaid (pleased me ) and a huge hunk beach lifeguard as best man (less so me, more her ). Sat on same beach for evening meal, walked fifty yards to our room. Just us, no faff.

We are one couple who both agree we are the least attractive couple in our wedding photos!

We just spent the money on us, not on Great Aunt Dora and the nephews attending for a family row. No need to follow tradition, no stress, just a lovely quiet wedding.

Off to do some more fencing with 'er now. Bought a petrol auger, which does make it easier, until it rips your arm off! Then to move the muck heap. Ain't love sweet?
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    choille
    Sounds lovely Daftey.
    In Scotland you can get married anywhere - up a mountain, down a ditch where ever.

Gale raging here leaves showering down. Will try and pick the apples when it settles a bit.
    Made bramble & apple jelly but have blackcurrants in the freezer still to do & I also like apple jelly for meat or sweet. The apples I use are pink crab apples and the jelly goes a lovely ruby colour. Very tasty too even though I say so myself. With this wind I doubt there will be any still on the tree.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 15th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 7,886 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Warm and sunny here, hot gentle breeze, tee shirt and shorts. Leaves turning so many wonderful colours, until a goat climbs into said tree and devours it. God knows how I expect a fence to hold them!

A ditch sounds a more appropriate venue these days. You could just roll me over and fill it in afterwards, and save on cremation costs.

Hope all of you Westward Ho folk survive the storm. Over here it looks like barbecue weather for tomorrow, followed by a sunny snooze in the courtyard.....

Looks can be deceptive, so I expect floods!
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 15th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    Evening all, glad you are all perservering despite set backs. I'm waiting for the ex-hurricane to hit us in the early hours!
    Down here in the 'Wall a lot of people I know have had really simple, really cheap weddings with a lot of class. Registry office for the legal stuff then retire to a field with a beautiful field for music, food and dancing. The best weddings I've been to have been like that and only cost a few thousand to put on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,566Posts Today

9,283Users online

Martin's Twitter