Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,400Posts
    • 58,258Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 417
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 25th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 5,686 Thanks
    pink poppy
    choille, I saw the NC 500 advertised on Faceache today, shared by VisitScotland from another site. It sounds like a complete nightmare

We're off to Peebles next month for a couple of days, I've heard it's nice so looking forward to that.

Jojo, I feel your pain with the not moving. We are still planning our big move (have discussed with the kids now) but I think I'll believe it when it happens...

Hope everyone is well, I'm still reading but haven't had anything interesting to share
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hope everyone is well, I'm still reading but haven't had anything interesting to share
    Originally posted by pink poppy
    I don't think our frantic efforts preparing for the umpteenth coming of Mr Rod really qualify as 'interesting!'

However, we are ready for him......

This NC500 looks like it could become very competitive; people racing about, trying to get all their 'experiences' in and stick to the schedule. Wouldn't be for me.

I notice one of the attractions near Inverness is a Clootie (or healing) Well dedicated to one of our local saints, St Boniface. Now, there's an elusive character, hailing from my favourite chip shop town, Crediton.

However....I'm afraid we Devonians aren't so good at all this packaging of ancient lore as those who've developed the NC500 itineraries. If you go looking for St Boniface's birthplace, the best you'll do is find a little notice which reads " Near this place St Boniface was born....."

I imagine all those who read that, turn to each other and say, "Yeah, but where, exactly?"

If the locals had any sense, they'd discover somewhere....and it wouldn't be next to the holy trinity of recycling (see no rubbish, hear no rubbish, talk no rubbish) Oh..... sorry, failed on that one!

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@50.788766,-3.647937,77.71h,-16.53p,2.48z
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 26th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    Evening all, I've been following your posts but haven't felt up to replying. My car died, bought a new one, hate it! Turns out for someone who is meant to be more intelligent than most of the population I suck at buying cars. With a budget of £750 the field is pretty limited anyway but I ended up with a petrol instead of a diesel and the MOT runs out in 6 weeks, I have identified at least a few hundred quids worth of stuff and it may need a new gearbox to boot! It is drinking fuel like it's going out of fashion and has stupid bucket seats that squeeze my kidneys as they weren't designed for a 6'2" 20 stone bloke (I got weighed at the doctors last week, I've actually lost a bunch of fat as I had to put a new hole in my belt!). The other half has said I am never allowed to buy a car unsupervised ever again!

The good news is that my darling fianc! has started working at the same place as me and the boss offered her £10ph for telesales work! She is also covering the logistics lady while she goes off for 3wks so that will bring in some desperately needed money.

We both quit smoking at the weekend which will save us several hundred quid a month but right now I'd like to punch anything I can reach! I have a perfectly good e-cig which would help if I hadn't lost the charger!

We are trying to sort out our finances and stash away a minimum of £500 per month for the wedding as well as some emergency cash but sod's law means since we booked the venue everything possible has happened to cost us far more than ever before. I know it is only temporary and that sticking to our guns should see everything come out in the wash but it doesn't bloody feel like it!

All I want is some land and some animals and for it to somehow pay the bills!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Swapping cars is always risky, Chesapeake, especially when it has to be done in a hurry. £750 doesn't buy anything wonderful, but something reliable is possible. I use Honest John for ID-ing less troublesome older models, then try to find low mileage, service history and an honest-sounding seller. I'll haggle over easy to spot faults, like poor tyres, but the seller's story and demeanour matter as much as the final price.

Being of a certain age, we now find that the taller types of cars, like MPVs are easier to get in and out of, and you might find that too. Every new car's controls and seats seem a bit odd at first. The most annoying thing we found was a badly-placed clutch pedal, so I bent it into a better position. Worryingly easy!

Mr Rod started well here, but then disappeared when a call came through about his meat from the processing butchers. I was relieved, as it was taking me longer than expected to blast the dodgy rendering off in readiness for him moving outside. Anyway, we're due some rain, so that won't happen today.

Still no sign of a time when I can go fishing! After holding an SDS demo drill all day yesterday, I think my casting arm is cream-crackered anyway. Grrr

Had quite a good crop of Kentish cobs, but no one is buying them.
    The tomatoes are selling, though. I'm not going to bother with peppers again. Even in the polytunnel they don't ripen until now, and then about 1/3 of them go soggy.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    We both quit smoking at the weekend which will save us several hundred quid a month....
    Originally posted by Chesapeake
    Missed that first time around. Well done.

I had to get a serious health scare before I finally quit, 28 years ago.

The first 3 months are hell, but it gets better. Honestly.
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 27th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    Cheers Dave, thanks for the encouragement. I panicked a bit as my work lent me a van while I found a new car but the boss is notorious for suddenly deciding that people are taking the !!!! so I was desperate to find something quickly. I am fine with a low slung car as long as the seat goes a long way back! I drove transit vans for 5yrs after passing my test so am very comfortable in that upright position but again a transit isn't exactly an economic commuting vehicle. I was considering asking for a Transit Custom (or a Connect) LWB as a work van/company car next time my pay is up for review as I think they are awesome but wouldn't want to pay for one myself!

It sounds like you are cracking on with the building work, though this weather really can't be helping. It has been howling down here all day, the dog loves water/puddles but gets a bit freaked out by high winds so she has been skittish all day. Its a good day to sit inside by a fire and make plans for better weather haha.
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 27th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    Missed that first time around. Well done.

I had to get a serious health scare before I finally quit, 28 years ago.

The first 3 months are hell, but it gets better. Honestly.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I've been smoking on and off for 15yrs but have successfully managed to quit at least three times. One was a year and once was 2.5yrs, just kind of wish I'd stayed quit. My mate wants me to go to rugby training with him so maybe that will be the incentive to see it through apart from the financial benefits.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I drove transit vans for 5yrs after passing my test so am very comfortable in that upright position but again a transit isn't exactly an economic commuting vehicle.
    Ford know a thing or two about ergonomics. Our second van was a Transit 150, which was wonderfully comfy and powerful, but when it succumbed to the tin worm, we replaced it with a Merc Sprinter, which was a step back in comfort. Perhaps the Germans don't want people nodding-off at the wheel....

Not only that, but despite the image, everything bar the steering wheel comes off in your hand! However, the engine's fantastic, there's 12' of load space and we get about 30mpg.

The rain arrived here late. I managed to get a coat of SBR solution on the exposed brickwork as rendering prep and screw the downpipes back before the first drops hit. Meanwhile, Mr Rod managed to dot & dab his way through 10 sheets of plasterboard in the conservatory & porch, so we are ready for plastering now.
    • Fay
    • By Fay 28th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 970 Posts
    • 3,106 Thanks
    Fay
    Sounds like you really cracked in Dave, well done. I gave up on peppers a while ago as I found the same as you. Even with starting them around New Year's Day with my chillies they took too long and the skin often ended up tough and thick. My toms haven't been great this year, I chose different heritage varieties to try and they weren't as prolific as promised. Not awful, but not great. There is always next year though as I am determined I will have a greenhouse again when I move.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 28th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    There is always next year though as I am determined I will have a greenhouse again when I move.
    Originally posted by Fay
    I'm sure you can arrange a greenhouse. So much nicer than a polytunnel, and you can still hear the radio in a deluge too!

Yes, there is always next year, which is what I love about gardening. The slate is wiped clean and we feel that we're bound to do better next time!

I was half-listening to someone farming 'Oop norf' on the radio the other day. She was saying how they welcome winter after the hectic, non-stop-ness of their summer months. Whereas people in towns and warmer places need summer to re-charge their batteries, folks living on the land in harsher locations need a period of enforced marking of time. (farmers don't really rest!)

I get that. In another month or so I'll be ready for the short days and a slower pace.

Bought one of these in Morrisons when I nipped into town for some more building materials this morning:

https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=2639

No warning about possible lack of hardiness, but then it was only £2.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 29th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Just sent the following cutting to Radio 4's News Quiz as it was too good to waste. Sadly, I experct I'm one of dozens who will have done the same!

"A Liberal Democrat election candidate faces disciplinary action after sending an explicit image to a female Labour rival.
    Dean Stone, who stood in the Great Torrington by-election on Thursday August 31st messaged Labour candidate Siobhan Strode with the bizarre picture.

He contacted the married mum-of-two on Facebook Messenger, wishing her good luck, then asked if there was "anything embarrassing" in her past.

When she told him she was too boring to have any skeletons in the closet, Mr Stone sent her a photo which appears to show him naked and apparently taking part in erotic role play, with the question.: "Your opinion on this then?".

Mrs Strode, who was on a family camping holiday at the time, said she was deeply shocked to receive the picture from someone she barely knew."

• Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 29th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    Ford know a thing or two about ergonomics. Our second van was a Transit 150, which was wonderfully comfy and powerful, but when it succumbed to the tin worm, we replaced it with a Merc Sprinter, which was a step back in comfort. Perhaps the Germans don't want people nodding-off at the wheel....

Not only that, but despite the image, everything bar the steering wheel comes off in your hand! However, the engine's fantastic, there's 12' of load space and we get about 30mpg.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Yup Ford really do beat everyone hands down when it comes to comfort and specification, unfortunately the Ford dealership down here has a few employees that I only have four letter words for!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    "dealership?" No, doesn't compute. Never paid more than about £2k for a car!

Hang-on,I lied. I once went into the Renault dealers in Bath to see if they had a bit for our ancient 1977 Renault 12 estate. Parked up, and the man asked if I would mind moving it around to the back. I'm afraid I did mind, so the customers with him heard my opinion of the way their cars rusted, which is why ours didn't look so good (It was white.)

That car didn't come from there. It had a sticker in the back window, proudly proclaiming its origins at Benter Motors, which was an old company, defunct even in those days. No surprise, with a name like that....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The game fishing season has drawn to a close.

Despite a dodgy forecast, I decided to spend my last outing on the very inacessible water below here in case my partner angler, whom I've not met, decided to visit Pete's stretch. Besides, last time I went, Pete had rearranged the river bank yet again with " A really big digger," making it hard to access some of my favourite bits - lots of loose rocks straight into water over my wellies.

I knew they were logging down below us here, but nothing prepared me for this:

https://ibb.co/kYbEmG

(Note the way the brown sludge about 0.4m deep is overtopping in the distance and flowing downhill like lava!)

The track down is about 1:4 so the mud there had drained better, but there was no footway left. Took ages getting down and longer coming back. As it's a public footpath they'll have to reinstate. Anyone coming to it from the other direction will get a very nasty shock!

Fortunately, once I got there, the bankside vegetation was much easier than last time, with much of it dying-back, so I had an easier time and even caught two trout. It didn't rain much, either.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 2nd Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,123 Thanks
    alfie 1
    that is awful dave !!
    it makes me cross when whoever does the logistics for these works doesn't seem to be able to forsee the mess it creates...

we had a couple of natural streams/bogs here in the forest ,which the "natural nature people" decided needed changing ?? they created huge masses of mud with no vegetation [which still hasn't recovered] left to revert the changes back to nature !!?? they are a disaster ....

ive just been given a briggs n Stratton cultivator.its about 15 years old and been used twice ! not sure where/when I will use it but hey its FREE
    so ive got a greenhouse/shed , paving slabs, York stones ,flint skelpings and a cultivator FREE in the last couple of weeks

we had a dodgy looking bmw with 2 lads in up our track yesterday, taking photos... managed to get a picture of them and reported to police as a lot of tool/trailers etc thefts in this area at the momet... apparently they send out on a reccy then in come the big boys ! I parked my car across the track last night just incase..
    I have t get a camera on my house facing the track, as they have to pass me to get to the other 3 houses.. it is a dead end here so have to pass me on the way out too..

weather is hit and miss here at the moment .. 12-17d, overcast/sunny , wet/dry
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 2nd Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 7,575 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Alfie... Several years ago I moved into a house in Yorkshire. Couple of days later, early evening and light fading, I went to the back of the house without turning lights on. There were three or so blokes at the door, one trying the handle.. another saw me and said "fruck, there's somebody in, get out...." and they vanished up the drive. One went the other way, over the fields.

I called the cops, not expecting nuffink. But, several large houses nearby had been done in recent weeks, and the fuzz swarmed the village, dogs, fingerprints, cars every where. But, the vile horde had vanished, as did the cops, not much later.

Late that night, a tatty XR3i cruised up the quiet lane and stopped in the shade of my (lonely) house. Inside were two of the most ghastly oiks you could imagine. One no-neck and stubble, squished nose and fat ear... I'd swear the other skinny one was a heroin druggie, and you could see the scars on wrist and face (no doubt from knife-fighting).

I was scared... very isolated, knew nobody local yet, hadn't even got good door locks yet... I called the cops again.... " ... they're back, looking for their colleague who went into the fields" I whispered. "But I've got their number.. Dark XR3i, numberplate is jje543x.."

I could hear the operator typing notes as I spoke. Then audible relief from her....

"Ah, that's DCI Harris and sergeant Wilson, plain clothes. I really don't think you'll have a thing to worry about if they are outside"

I slept well that night.
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 3rd Oct 17, 7:14 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    Alfie... Several years ago I moved into a house in Yorkshire. Couple of days later, early evening and light fading, I went to the back of the house without turning lights on. There were three or so blokes at the door, one trying the handle.. another saw me and said "fruck, there's somebody in, get out...." and they vanished up the drive. One went the other way, over the fields.

I called the cops, not expecting nuffink. But, several large houses nearby had been done in recent weeks, and the fuzz swarmed the village, dogs, fingerprints, cars every where. But, the vile horde had vanished, as did the cops, not much later.

Late that night, a tatty XR3i cruised up the quiet lane and stopped in the shade of my (lonely) house. Inside were two of the most ghastly oiks you could imagine. One no-neck and stubble, squished nose and fat ear... I'd swear the other skinny one was a heroin druggie, and you could see the scars on wrist and face (no doubt from knife-fighting).

I was scared... very isolated, knew nobody local yet, hadn't even got good door locks yet... I called the cops again.... " ... they're back, looking for their colleague who went into the fields" I whispered. "But I've got their number.. Dark XR3i, numberplate is jje543x.."

I could hear the operator typing notes as I spoke. Then audible relief from her....

"Ah, that's DCI Harris and sergeant Wilson, plain clothes. I really don't think you'll have a thing to worry about if they are outside"

I slept well that night.
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Haha I hope you gave her the full description including knife fighting scars! Would have cheered up the dispatch room no end

Dave: I am very much of the mindset of not spending more than a couple of grand on a second hand car but when it comes to vans for business use I'm a lot pickier. It doesn't help that Transit Customs have only been around for a few years and secondhand prices are high enough that I'd rather go to a dealer and get a decent warranty etc to go with it if I have to shell out £10k on a van. Saying that I clearly have a blind spot when it comes to vehicles so will probably end up buying private and getting ripped off again
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 4th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    that is awful dave !!
    it makes me cross when whoever does the logistics for these works doesn't seem to be able to forsee the mess it creates...
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    That track was dry in the summer, alfie. I walked down it in trainers on 21st June. It stayed dry for at least 6 weeks after that. I'm hoping everything will be back to normal by next spring, but I also have a plan for finding an alternative route, just in case.

Cockerel died last night. I knew he was on his way out. None of those Marans we bred lived past 4 years then, as he was the last.

DD2's contract to manage the store ended a few days ago. They offered her a new one and an extra £10k on top, but she turned them down! She has her sights on something else.....She's staying on till they find a replacement, though. Her store's in profit, unlike many others. I'll just be glad when she's not up & down the M4 all the time at all hours.

Mr Rod is going to be done here any moment. That's all the rendering re-done and almost the last of the work outdoors for this year. Next year, hard landscaping....and I bet it will be!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 4th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Dave: I am very much of the mindset of not spending more than a couple of grand on a second hand car but when it comes to vans for business use I'm a lot pickier.
    We did spend more on the van. Got it from a chap who specialised in vans from utility providers, so it came with power inverter, hot & cold running water and all sorts of other stuff.

33k on the clock was what I was really interested in, but later I realised it could have sat at the side of the road most of its life just ticking-over!

Anyway, 8 Mots later, it's proved a pretty good buy for £4k.
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 5th Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    Wow Dave that does sound like you got an awesome bargain there, I've seen some cracking deals available when a utility company or similar decides to switch their entire fleet and so they auction off 2,000 identical vans meaning that the last 1,000 or so go for a few hundred quid each.

That photo of the forestry track is pretty shocking, I can't believe they managed to make such a mess in such a short time. Do you have any recourse if they don't repair it or is it someone elses land?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

1,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin