Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,398Posts
    • 58,257Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 415
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 4th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 12,089 Posts
    • 214,732 Thanks
    greenbee
    I've checked scottish & southern's website - they'll do a 5-year trim (they did one 3 years ago) but not felling. I'll try though I'll still need the cables shrouded as he needs to work on another tree that is near them - they did a 5 year trim last time and it just grew back faster. If we take the right branches out it will keep away from the lines.

I'm hoping the hornets move out before the tree has to come down, as they're no trouble where they are. I usually find wasps aren't an issue either - as long as you know where they are and where they fly you can keep out of their way.

Good luck with all the building work. You may find it's no bad thing having your general builder on site in his caravan... he'll be handy for the odd '5-minute job' and hopefully suitably grateful and helpful.

Builder should be appearing tomorrow and hopefully we'll have a plan for the outstanding work plus a plan and dates for at least some of the downstairs work. I might have to start making some decisions on flooring... and doing some packing up of stuff.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 4th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 22,922 Posts
    • 88,424 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I've just had the tree surgeon round to quote for taking out the dead weeping willow and ash, and doing a whole lot of other stuff. I now need to call the electricity people about shrouding the wires so we can take the willow out, and then we need to work out where the hornets' nest is... they are hanging around about 2ft up the tree so we assume there is one in there somewhere!
    Originally posted by greenbee
    They'll be dying off soon enough, like wasps, so I wouldn't have thought it would be that much of a problem, Greenbee - I wouldn't expect a large utility infrastructure company to be almost instant in coming along, so they could all be gone by the time the tree is dealt with.

Dave - yes, it briefly occurred to me. It was largely the blatant trespass and theft that annoyed me - it's not getting a bit from an empty house and overgrown garden/stuff hanging onto the street, it was marching up the front path and picking from the relatively well tended windowbox.

I left the beans a bit too long on the stalk - can I just pop the resulting beans straight into the pot in the hope of a second flush before it gets too cold? Or do I have to let them dry out and try again next spring?

Off out the back to get some more blackberries. I'm just sticking them in the freezer now, as there is no way I can justify making that much jam.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 4th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 12,089 Posts
    • 214,732 Thanks
    greenbee
    They'll be dying off soon enough, like wasps, so I wouldn't have thought it would be that much of a problem, Greenbee - I wouldn't expect a large utility infrastructure company to be almost instant in coming along, so they could all be gone by the time the tree is dealt with.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Tree surgeon is back in 4-5 weeks, so hopefully they'll have shrouded the cables by then. If they haven't, I'll get highways onto them - the willow is by the road (over it really) and they have a tendency to drop branches. Fingers crossed the hornets will be gone by then.

I must get out and plant the last of the divided daylilies tomorrow. And I'm hoping it'll dry out enough over the next few days for me to be able to mow as I'm going to be away for work and really don't want to have to deal with much more growth than there currently is... I've also got some strimming to do, but that may end up waiting till the end of the month.

I'm also waiting for a quote for a greenhouse base to be put down, as my brother is going to dismantle a second-hand greenhouse for me. Hopefully it will work. If not I'll have to buy one - but I think i have enough left over from my tax rebate after paying for the trees/hedges to get myself one for christmas anyway
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 4th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 22,922 Posts
    • 88,424 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Spent about an hour butchering one of the roses, as it's got a mega dose of blackspot since I last looked out there a couple of days ago. And it had decided to send up huge shoots - as Himself was washing up, I stood inside the door, whacking the window outside with one (quite a distance) and asking if he'd heard of any meteor showers recently
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 5th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 45,077 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hiya peeps...

all I can say is ...im doing sweet fa in 34d and rising

the pool beckons

take care y'all xxxxxx
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 88,432 Thanks
    Davesnave
    hiya peeps...
    all I can say is ...im doing sweet fa in 34d and rising
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    You deserve it.

I don't deserve to be doing much the same in exactly half of that temperature, but it's peeing-down here!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 88,432 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Found a car. It's not what I'd choose if I had time and didn't live in the @rse end of the country, but it will do as a stop-gap. Funnily enough, the seller used it similarly: his Jaguar's computer-system went bananas and he needed time to save for the appalling repair bill.

Low mileage, FSH and a reliable brand of MPV was always going to be tricky for around £600......but I got the price down a little.

She ain't pretty, but she's a goer.... Where have I heard that before?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • choille
    • By choille 6th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 5,517 Posts
    • 27,008 Thanks
    choille
    Have had a visit from smething - pinemarten/badger/otter who has snaffled a few hens & pulled most of the tail feathers out of the cockerel who was hiding down in the pool below the first water fall. He was shaken but okay. Happened during the day when we were about but I think it will just keep coming back as I lost a load of little chicks the other week.
    Nature is vicious sometimes.

Had friends staying overnight - on kitchen floor & that was nice but realise that we need to get a move on with building as I would like to be able to offer folks a bit more comfort than the kitchen floor - they'd been camping & didn't like the campsite & it was windy so they felt it was heaven.

Some work done on porch & friends helped us shift a load of wood that had been dropped off at the top of the roadside - so that was great.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 12,089 Posts
    • 214,732 Thanks
    greenbee
    Sorry to hear about the hens Choille.

Always useful to get some motivation to get on with building work - particularly when it gets to the stage where you're fairly comfortable and the disruption of starting work again doesn't appeal. I'm quite glad the builder has booked himself back in as this way I need to do something about it. I'll have a couple of weeks to pack up when I get back from my next work trip and then it'll be chaos for a couple of months.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 88,432 Thanks
    Davesnave
    You're right, greenbee. Once the heating's in and some rooms are complete, the urge to push-on fades somewhat. Losing BiL as a source of skilled labour when his redundancy ended prematurely, spurred us to get those drains done last weekend!

Hope the cockerel is recovering, choille. There's a price to pay being close to nature as I'm learning at the fishing. Haven't seen the otter again, but saw two kingfishers flying, as if in a race, up and then back downstream again. It was as if they'd said, "Race you to the bridge and back!"

Thinking about wasps, it was November before ours died last year. This year I've not found any at all, but we've had visits from hornets. Wildlife seems very localised. I may have said this before, but we've had plenty of butterflies, while people less than a mile away have hardly had any this summer.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 88,432 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Oh well, old car has gone live on the Bay. We spent about a day cleaning and tittivating it. The photos look so good I almost don't want to sell it!

I think it knows.

Suddenly, it's started to smell of the previous owner's dog...... That was last in it over 5 years ago.

Next, it'll not start.....

I had that once with a car I was selling to a garage. It refused to go when it had never done that before, ever. I'll admit I lost my temper and hit it with the starting handle (remember those? ok, it was a long time ago...) just like Basil Fawty hit his with a tree branch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc

Watching that episode of Fawlty Towers still makes me blush!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 9th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 45,077 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all

well my time in the sun is drawing to a close....well Monday ..

sorry to hear about your chooks choille.. there ARE chooks here but rarely ever hear them ...except about 2 in the morning when the cockerels have a competition as to who can wake the most people who have finally got to sleep in the heat which doesn't change even in the night !
    there are no birds here ! the odd sort of dove/pidgeon goes by but not a sound of any thing with feathers it seems... I thought there would be stacks of wildlife ! ive seen the rear end of what im guessing was a tiny lizard of some sort disappearing over a wall but after that...nothing...
    oh except the odd hornet type thing flying past [we are talking B road not motorway traffic for insects]
    there ARE bats at night and cats that have twigged I MAY have chopped up meat in a bag that ive scrounged during daylight...

we are going on a coastal boat ride this evening, tickets for which we were sold yesterday quay side, having looked at pictures of varying vessels that either resembled a sea faring bouncy castle t jack sparrows summer residence !.... having chosen a more "African queen" style vessel to bob along in, I now have my doubts as to wether the bouncy castle may be the vessel of the captains choice ... I did ask/try to verify that it would be the AQ but was met with a "sure, sure" which does nothing to boost confidence.
    here, they have learnt the art [very convincingly] of saying "of course" and meaning "not a hope!"

went to the Turkish delight shop yesterday...think the owner was booking his own holiday after I left with my heaving bag of goodies, supposedly as gifts for home but can guarantee only 50% will reach their intended destinations ...

I must admit a week is enough for me, I miss my animogs too much ...

the heat is intense but no breeze even tho we are 10 minutes from the coast [5mins as the "if you can find one " crow flies....]

the backdrop here is a row of amazing mountains ... having driven over them it makes me appreciate our fauna at home.. barren ! we in the uk are a nation of colour in comparison, don't see pots of brightly coloured flowers growing etc just the standard shrubs here. ooooooooooo I love my green green garden
    probably wont be so homesick when I get there

hope you sell your "dog" mobile ,dave.. mine would go with a health warning and asmatics stay clear ..

well ive got to try and shift my butttt out of this chair, on the balcony [due to the heat, I tend to walk off unwittingly with the imprint of whicker across my rear end ] and get another cuppa then decide what to do before jack sparrow takes us to the high sea's

have a good day y'all

xxx
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 10th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 22,922 Posts
    • 88,424 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I'm hibernating today. Was going to sow some winter greenery (spinach, lettuce, sorrel, etc) but over the course of about ten minutes, the weather turned up.

No conservation workdays at present, either, so already somewhat cranky with being indoors/town for a fortnight. I might have to force myself to go to the gym tomorrow.

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 88,432 Thanks
    Davesnave
    , the weather turned up..
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Yes, I was supposed to be in a hole today, bedding-down an inspection chamber properly and sorting some pipes out, but we were forecast heavy showers and tightly packed isobars, so I wimped-out. Just as well too!

I cut down our contorted hazel, before the wind got up. DW does the ironing in the front bedroom and asked if she could have a better view now, rather than later. After I did that, she discovered she could see all the way to the nearby town's beacon.

The hazel was roughly in the centre of our proposed new driveway, so it had to go, but we both hated it anyway!

Alfie will get a huge climatic shock tomorrow if it carries on like this!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 11th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 45,077 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well It started raining straight after I left uk so if it improves about 1am tomorrow , you will know I am back on gud ald 'ampshire turf

it is lovely here but stifling.. even with the slight breezes it is an uncomfortable strange heat ! ive been in some hotter zones but this is the most exhausting..

tried to fit the resident stray cats into my hand luggage but .....
    they are ,in the circumstances, reasonably well fed here where im staying which is quite a village .. all around the parks etc in the town ,are shelters for the dogs to get out of the heat /in from the cold .. watering bowls /tanks and feed stations provided by various charities ..
    talking to one such, they said they are not allowed to remove street dogs [gov policy ! ] but can take "dumped/handed over dogs" ....so they endeavour to catch/neutor/release as many street cats/dogs as they can.. they put a nick in their ears to show they have been "seen" to..

id be no good living here, id be wall to wall dogs/cats !!
    having said that ,there are a lot of fat healthy street dogs that have had their territories for years and locals look after them...

on asking my son had he remembered to feed my cat / owl in my abcense he said he had and had actually been stroking the cat but she had hissed at him and gone to bite him.... she is a funny bu**ar ! misses her mommy ...

right im not long for leaving for the airport so watch the weather peeps...and if it starts to improve you can thank me later
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 22,922 Posts
    • 88,424 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Hurry up, Alfie - I'm getting bored with this weather now!

Had a hospital appointment today. Glad to say that I'm not being dismissed with the Daily Horoscope of Medicine for the Middleaged Female - Fibromyalgia, aka Go Home, Get Some Exercise and Don't Darken Our Door Ever Again - I apparently 'almost certainly' have Psoriatic Arthritis with a quite favourable prognosis, but I need to start injecting myself with noxious chemicals. Which means I'd probably better get my jabs in before my immune system transforms from one that has me left standing, completely bemused by all around me dropping like flies every winter.

That'll be flu, possibly pneumonia and maybe Tetanus. I can only remember three occasions - one at 5, one at 17 and one about ten years ago when the old cat sank her manky fangs and molars into my thumb because I had the temerity to save her life by removing the roast beef string and plastic from her windpipe rather than let her expire on my lap. Stripey legged ingrate. And the nurse at the Walk In Centre laughed at me for grumbling about the wretched animal whilst clutching a mangled thumb wrapped in a sock. There is no guarantee that I had any vaccinations prior to going to school and no way of checking.

Not hugely keen on the prospect of mildly poisoning myself on a longterm basis/turning myself into a glorified pin cushion, but I want to be able to be out and about doing things throughout the autumn and winter as well, especially if anywhere in the village or surrounding area comes up for rent at short notice - I'm going to need to be able to do lots of walking, working and managing with the West Devon weather if that happens, especially as mornings are already incredibly difficult for me to handle. It's, just a couple of weeks back in the city/one at work and I've just scraped in through the front door within 0- 3 minutes of my official start time every day so far. Amazing how I had no trouble waking up before first sparrow chirp and being active for hours on end as soon as I got out of this place and into the green bits.

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Sep 17, 11:27 PM
    • 22,922 Posts
    • 88,424 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    [frowns at Alfie]

Well, what do you have to say for yourself? This weather is atrocious. Did you not think to bring some decent weather back with you?

• choille
    • By choille 13th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 5,517 Posts
    • 27,008 Thanks
    choille
    Alfie - you will have to adjust to the UK weather. Sounds like quite an experience. I think I would find the heat too exhausting.

Lost a few more chickens which is sad & depressing as I was about. I really don't know what is doing it but probably a pine marten. Cockerel is recovering but he is quite nervy - well not surprising really.
    The rain here has been torrential, water gushing everywhere. Never known it quite like what is was the other night - kept awake by the noise of large boulders getting washed down the burn.

The midges have been worst ever - must be the weather.

Dog learned to swim yesterday when he went chasing ducks and went off a rock into deep water down the shore. The look of surprise when he realised that his paws wouldn't touch the bottom! He was okay but soaked as was I when he got out & shook himself.

Swallows seem to have gone but they were here early so it is officially Autumn - Hope you sell the car Dave if you want to.
    Hope the injections work JoJo - are they a a steroid?

OH just had both ankles injected and he feels the benefit - the pain has eased.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 22,922 Posts
    • 88,424 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Alfie - you will have to adjust to the UK weather. Sounds like quite an experience. I think I would find the heat too exhausting.

Lost a few more chickens which is sad & depressing as I was about. I really don't know what is doing it but probably a pine marten. Cockerel is recovering but he is quite nervy - well not surprising really.
    The rain here has been torrential, water gushing everywhere. Never known it quite like what is was the other night - kept awake by the noise of large boulders getting washed down the burn.

The midges have been worst ever - must be the weather.

Dog learned to swim yesterday when he went chasing ducks and went off a rock into deep water down the shore. The look of surprise when he realised that his paws wouldn't touch the bottom! He was okay but soaked as was I when he got out & shook himself.

Swallows seem to have gone but they were here early so it is officially Autumn - Hope you sell the car Dave if you want to.
    Hope the injections work JoJo - are they a a steroid?

OH just had both ankles injected and he feels the benefit - the pain has eased.
    Originally posted by choille
    Nope, this new consultant doesn't like doing intrarticular injections unless absolutely essential and refuses to do generalised muscle ones/prescribe tablets due to the side effects in the long term - I've just spent the last few years with rock bottom Vitamin D and osteopenia (bone pain) as a result of steroids (and the ones in the joints are *$*$&£("*"&* in terms of pain, in my experience) - so I'm onto low dose chemo/methotrexate. Bleurgh. Got to take extra loads of folic acid to try and make sure I don't lose so much hair I look as though I'm moulting this time. And I puke up even on the lowest doses, so antiemetics, too.

It's all glamour and sophistication here.

• alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 13th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 45,077 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well, smack me and chuck me in the cuboard

to be fair it has only rained a bit over night here ... been fine , sort of sunny even..

went to work yesterday and lost one of the dogs [one I look after!!] spent 4 hrs looking for it !
    after searching high and low ,got the gardeners walking through the maize field [about 8ft high] like Labradors to try and flush her out IF she was there. I stayed on the edge and waited... calling like a banshee !! yep, she trotted out !!!! she is dolly daydreams pup and is total opposite in character....

welcome bl**dy home ....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,417Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin