Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,406Posts
    • 58,259Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 403
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 15th May 17, 5:45 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    Evening all. I haven't been on here much as I haven't been up to much. The allotment is very behind now, the timber for the raised beds etc only turned up this week, I bought 4.8m lengths which were delivered to work and I'm having to cut it all into 6ft lengths to fit in the back of my Golf!

The allotment is deteriating with the recent gales and storms, the polytunnel ends with doors have both collapsed, the repair I did to the "shed" roof has blown off and weeds are pushing up the ground control fabric we laid.

On a plus note the kiwi tree has shot back up after being chopped to a stub and the two unknown fruit trees are doing well and in full blossom after heavy pruning. Just a few more months and we will know what they are!

I'm in rain-soaked Scotland on a week break to see my fianc!'s family and looking at farmland at 1/6 of what it costs in Cornwall
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th May 17, 7:30 PM
    • 23,688 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    As our builder is still having bad back problems, we decided to have a lie-in this morning..... when the phone rang....

"We'll be over in about half an hour!"

That was the flooring chap, who'd written down the wrong dates on our order, so we were expecting his prep guy tomorrow!

He arrived about 25 minutes later, took one look, said, "Oh, that's easy! I can tackle all that tomorrow." And with that, he left!

We were well awake by then.

In other news, we spoke with another conservatory company surveyor today, who gave us good, unbiased advice. He wasn't after business, saying he would only wish to involve his company if ours just walked away, but he doubted they'd do that. So do we.

Soooo....I'm trying to work out what we want from these shysters now. While I don't trust them to do anything complicated, since no one else will touch the job, we'll have to get the structure finished off properly, supervising it every step of the way. Deep joy!

Then they'll be asking for their money.....I doubt if it will be as originally agreed!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th May 17, 7:35 PM
    • 23,688 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave

The allotment is deteriating with the recent gales and storms, the polytunnel ends with doors have both collapsed, the repair I did to the "shed" roof has blown off and weeds are pushing up the ground control fabric we laid.
    Originally posted by Chesapeake
    It's been breezy here, even a little wild for odd 10 minute spells, but no gales. The rain today almost missed us too.

I'm glad for what we've had, but the stream is hardly running, and that's our guide. Nothing's coming out of the land; it's just road washings.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 15th May 17, 10:51 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 45,179 Thanks
    alfie 1
    dave... at worst scenario I personally would tell the 1st company to go whistle.. they have had chances to put right what they got WRONG and if they took YOU to court for whats owed [what they think] then the argument in law would be the amount quoted to you to PUT IT RIGHT would be deducted from the original quote.
    I seriously would NOT let them back on the project !! if they were conscientious they would have been straight onto putting it right..
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th May 17, 6:50 AM
    • 23,688 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    dave... at worst scenario I personally would tell the 1st company to go whistle.. they have had chances to put right what they got WRONG and if they took YOU to court for whats owed [what they think] then the argument in law would be the amount quoted to you to PUT IT RIGHT would be deducted from the original quote.
    I seriously would NOT let them back on the project !! if they were conscientious they would have been straight onto putting it right..
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    It's complicated. The law says we must allow them the chance to put things right, and it's us, not them, who've been delaying till we get some answers.

We needed to know what alternative was possible technically, and what it might cost. It's taken this long for us to get that info. The conservatory roof manufacturers won't speak to us. They have an enquiry service, but mysteriously, none of my enquiries is ever answered. I'm in the naughty book, obviously.

Now, I have a chain of events showing that they deceived us from the start, when we proposed altering the roof of the bungalow while it was off, and they countered with a different proposal a week later. We were kidded along, but they could never have built what we thought we were getting for the price quoted. I don't think they ever do. They just do what they do....rather badly. The product they use isn't too bad though.

We had an idea how this might pan-out, so being a long-term pain in the @rse to them must surely result in a deal we can live with, and it's important we get that, at least. We're resigned to the fact that we won't get anything else, but they've thousands of £ worth of kit erected here, not being paid-for, and we're about to make some suggestions regarding that.....

Won't say any more. This probably has some way to run yet.
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 16th May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    It's been breezy here, even a little wild for odd 10 minute spells, but no gales. The rain today almost missed us too.

I'm glad for what we've had, but the stream is hardly running, and that's our guide. Nothing's coming out of the land; it's just road washings.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Yeh I've noticed that within a couple of hours of every rainy spell the ground is already drying up without many muddy patches forming. Need a few more weeks of nice steady rain to top up the water table.

I've got 2x 1,000 litre IBC's at work that I need to get to the allotment so that I can build a proper guttering system for the polytunnel and "shed". The plan is to lay a system of drip hoses through the raised beds and have an overflow pipe to keep the pond topped up. My winter project is to get hold of a small solar panel and a control system so that it will automatically turn the water on and off at set times of day
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 17, 6:40 AM
    • 23,688 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    That sounds like a great plan, Chesapeake.

I have quite a lot of plans too, but that's how they stay, because as soon as we get to May, the job of staying on top of everything fills up all the time. I ought to be used to it by now, but the speed at which everything grows still shocks me. One week I can be looking at a fairly neat outdoors, yet the next it's covered in weeds and long grass!

Living room floor goes down today. The guys spread the levelling compound yesterday in no time at all. They know a lot of people, so I'm pumping them for info!

Looks like another rainy one, so no strimming today.......
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th May 17, 6:55 AM
    • 23,688 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Still quiet in here without choille......Come on girl, sign up as Wee Hettie Haggis....or something! We won't tell.

Nice floor went down yesterday. Good guys who take a pride in what they do.

They gave us lots of free info/advice too, so I've been able to solve the problem of the conservatory floor and avoid asking the builder to alter it for the second time. That's a huge relief, because it's all very well, having one of your long term friends as a contractor, until things go awry......

It's threatening to be a nice day today, so I feel a bout of strimming coming on.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 18th May 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Moan, moan, grumble...
    ... no rain, soil so dry, grass going brown, all you Western Coast lot don't know you've had it so good... even joined all the hosepipes together (dribbling from every failing junction) to water the hedge, and the Heavens opened... for all of thirteen seconds before the Saharan Drought resumed (oh deary-me) even the stream is virtually dry, and the soil has split into cracks, which is never good as it dries out even more.. oh and the underground water tank that was brim-full is now bottom-empty... woe, woe, and thrice woe....

Then, yesterday, it rained. Biblically (for us dry Easterners, anyway). We had puddles! Green fields!! Hedge sprouting from even the dead bits!!! Joy!!!!

Well, until the flies came out, that is. Biters during the evening feeding then, today, every damn Dipteran, Hymenopteran, Coleopteran and Godknowswhateran came out to play... Jeepers Creepers!

(Gotta find something to moan about, I'm English! )

But, it is damp again, which is good. The fields were suffering, the trees were, and so was I, from lugging water about. The sheep had a good bath, and the Norfolk Horns went bright white (in the right bits too). The Boreray decided it all stank, one proved she can just Gazelle-leap over a fence (from a standstill... oops, there's a problem for the future) and went back to the big barn, while the others just looked so drenched we let them in anyway. They are meant to be hardy sheeple, not wimps. (I have some Bagot goats coming soon, and they can climb trees. Most of my fences

Most of the hedge has taken, and the wild roses are already in flower. The hazel and crab apples have just rocketed away, and most of the other fruiting plants are alive at least. It's going to be a forager's paradise in a few years! One way to encourage neighbourhood watch...

I am also in a strimming mood, and had the sprayers out as well. Death to weeds. All must die... Bwah hah har! I'm getting the hang of precision spot-weeding. Last year I had a bloke out to help, and he had sertificurts an' all. He seemed hell-bent on finding how much spray you could inhale, liquid you could swallow, and drips you could run down a neck before you keeled over, and whether you could block a drain by knocking a bottle over. A nutter. He'd have enjoyed the scent of 1970's Vietnam, around breakfast time ... This year I will use my lab-training and do a neat and tidy job. Actually, most weeds are my friends. I need to get the docks under control, and limit the spread of nettle. The ragwort war is well on the road to success, and bracken is losing ground, both mainly from hand-removal.

Now the ground is softer, I might manage to get some more fence posts in, but it could do with a bit more rain to soften it.

I'd have thought those conservatory guys will soften up soon, Dave. They'll need to move on, they'll have had to pay the supplier for what they've fitted anyway by now, and their busy fitting-season is upon them, so they'll want a resolution. Well, hopefully, anyway.

Cheers, everyone, even those on a Scottish Naughty Step!
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 18th May 17, 6:05 PM
    • 7,942 Posts
    • 34,005 Thanks
    lucielle
    OH is very busy at this end and had a couple of 4 am starts to catch up not helped by a member of our team going sick for 2 days. DS1 has handed his notice in and is moving back home. Absolutely dreading this but ground rules have been laid. He's going shearing then hoping to go to New Zealand and do their season. DD1 has returned from Texas and been and looked round a few ranches and different farming systems, she had a great time. Just landed her job back at the caf! she worked at last year. DD2 is hoping to do another year at college if her grades are good enough. DS2 is still doing hi s apprenticeship so all moving steadily on here.

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900, Dec 08 £39782.36 Overdrafts £3100, Dec 09 £29304.84 Overdrafts £2820, Dec 10 £16449 Overdrafts £2490
    Dec 11 £12673.80 Overdrafts £1250, Dec 12 £4591 Overdrafts £400 02/02/13 new debt figure £5831.00 New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013

DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • Fay
    • By Fay 20th May 17, 11:38 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 3,117 Thanks
    Fay
    Not much to report here but loving the updates. The D is under way now and financial matters will start soon.
    But in day dream news, I've seen s few places that could have potential...sadly not a small holding yet but gardens with some scope. Early days obviously but nice to know there are things out there I like. The great plant pilfer is under way too (not sure I can pilfer my own stock actually lol). So far I have about 12 hostas intimate pots (looking good, slug damage now under conrol), 2 salvia caradonna, a viburnum snowball bush, 2 salvias whose name escapes me I bought from wollerton old hall last year, a limelight hydrangea, hundreads (I might exaggerate!) of verbena seedlings, a few astrantias, a rose I was bought for my birthday, a hellebore, a couple of geraniums and a lupin that is clinging on for dear life after slug damage. I have pics but not sure I have the patience to go via photobucket lol.
    I was hoping to continue moving other things this weekend but it's currently bucketing it down...sorry Daffy, I hope it is for you too!
    Last edited by Fay; 20-05-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 20th May 17, 2:39 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 45,179 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all...

I just seemed to have been driving from a to b to c to.....
    mum is going back to her flat on Monday and we went there today to take some of her accumulated stuff from here.

we have had rain too !! not a HUGE amount but enough to kick start everything.
    the bottom 2 fields [ 2 x 5 acres ]we had chain harrowed and fertilised some weeks ago and they finally look like they are greening up.. hopefully a better hay crop this year.. our best was 1200 bales , our lowest 800..

the field jim jam was in is waiting to be de-weed sprayed so hopefully soon now they are sprouting up.. trouble is there has always been a boggy area which we assumed was some sort of overflow from the farms pond but it turns out its a 200 year old clay pipe drainage system that runs across [3ft down ] the field from various directions...and its blocked ! the guys dug down and a geyser shot up !! im not sure its JUST surface water and maybe comes from an underground spring ?? it all leads to a stream at the bottom of the field that "diverts" into friends lake and "diverts" out the other side back into the stream...

all my new planting round small pond no2 seems to be thriving.. I just have to join the leads and get the pond pump working.. I paid £15 for a waterproof electrical link thingy and cant bl**dy get into it to do the wiring ! nearly ended up jumping up and down on it !! so have bought another easier to do one and will crack on tomorrow..

just off to buy a broody coop as we have just had chicks appearing under a banty and as we didn't think they were going to hatch [obviously got our dates wrong ! ] not sure the others in with her will leave the chicks alone so will separate till a bit bigger..

need to get strimming too ! ive weed killered all the drive ... again !

I have a Gatwick pick up Tuesday evening
    and its only 3 weeks till son gets home from Canada so will try and get ship shape by then...

hope everyone that WANTS rain gets it soon ...

I will give choille a ring to see how she is doing
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 21st May 17, 8:01 AM
    • 23,688 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    But in day dream news, I've seen s few places that could have potential...sadly not a small holding yet but gardens with some scope.
    Originally posted by Fay
    I'd not recommend a smallholding to anyone more interested in gardening than farm animals. They're uneasy bedfellows at the best of times! One always steals time from the other, and in the country, the wildness of everything around means that the weed problem is always more severe than in town.

It's pretty bad here at present, with the American willow herb growing faster than I can pull it....and glyphosate doesn't really stop it. So, it'll be out with the agricultural selective stuff next to zap those. I move on to that anyway around now, as the docks and thistles re-appear in the fields, although not in the horrendous quantities originally found.

How far can a vine weevil walk? I've tried various experiments in bumping them off without using expensive chemicals/nematodes, but recently I've just put badly infected compost into a barrow and then removed the lot 200m across the field to the bit of natural land at Mr Dog's end. They don't 'home' I suppose???

I have to send our latest response to the conservatory company soon. I don't intend to pay them anything like the money we originally agreed for it, but I wonder whether I'd be better saying nowt and leaving that part of the negotiation until they've actually done the work?

I like to be up-front about things, not devious, but in this case I wonder if pursuing compensation now will just delay matters more and result in an even worse job.

The key thing is that we must first agree to use the large component they forgot to put in the contract, before they'll return and fit it properly, but if we do that, our bargaining power is then much reduced.

Theres one part of me that says, "Just get it done and then refuse to pay more than, say, 75% of the agreed price and bet they won't chase us for the rest," and another that says "You have them by the goolies right now, so put the pressure on for a deal, even if it means a longer stand-off!"

What do you guys think? They'll not go legal, and even if they did, we'd have lots of ammo for a counter-claim (small claims, no lawyers, we can handle it.....I think! )

Arrrggghhh!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 21st May 17, 8:09 AM
    • 23,688 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I will give choille a ring to see how she is doing
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Thanks alfie.

Hope she is OK. Must've been quite a heated 'discussion' she got into....or then again, maybe not.......It seems this place is going super-PC.

I've just had one of my posts edited-out on another Forum here and I'm hopping-mad about it.

It wasn't anything I said that caused it, as I was very polite , but the person I quoted had called someone an @rse, so I was deleted too!

I don't want MSE to become emasculated like this. The place used to have some balls!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st May 17, 10:00 AM
    • 12,253 Posts
    • 216,256 Thanks
    greenbee
    I think Choille was involved in some of the political threads... so it may have been a mass cull. I find I have to just ignore an awful lot of idiots or I'd have been banned long ago!

I think with the conservatory company you need to take it a step at a time. Get it done, and then negotiate on price - you'll have a comprehensive list of the issues, and how badly they dealt with it, so a defensible case for not paying as they didn't deliver, and have massively delayed completion as a results. I tend to prefer completion bonuses for work done on time, but penalties for delay are normal in the construction industry.

Re. American willowherb - before I go out destroying is that the small pink thing? Should I be destroying it?

I keep finding slugs in the growhouse, so need to get stuff planted out. I'd intended to do it last week, but kept putting it off because the weather was awful. Which is lucky as we had a 4 hour thunder and hailstorm on Friday, with torrential rain. There was a lot of flooding, and it rained most of yesterday too, so things are pretty waterlogged, although water levels in the stream have dropped back down pretty quickly (I must do something about the weed though... I was going to take out a third of it on Friday...)
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 21st May 17, 6:01 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 45,179 Thanks
    alfie 1
    dave.....

tott up what it will cost to PUT RIGHT..
    deduct this from their bill...
    get it put right ...
    sorted ????

they aren't going to argue it as you hld the purse strings and any £s are better than NO £s for them..
    if they don't agree to this tell them you will go to the small claims and be after compensation...

id take no prisoners myself
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 21st May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 7,942 Posts
    • 34,005 Thanks
    lucielle
    Ditto what Alfie says. If you're doing it do it right and how you want it don't settle for secondbest.

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900, Dec 08 £39782.36 Overdrafts £3100, Dec 09 £29304.84 Overdrafts £2820, Dec 10 £16449 Overdrafts £2490
    Dec 11 £12673.80 Overdrafts £1250, Dec 12 £4591 Overdrafts £400 02/02/13 new debt figure £5831.00 New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013

DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • Fay
    • By Fay 21st May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 3,117 Thanks
    Fay
    I'm with Alfie as well. You've waited long enough. Might as well go in for the long haul and get the very best deal you can.

I am more agardener than an animal farmer but I would like a small holding one day. Or maybe a cottage with land where I could have done animals and maybe a little cottage industry...ba boom!
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 22nd May 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    What do you guys think? They'll not go legal, and even if they did, we'd have lots of ammo for a counter-claim (small claims, no lawyers, we can handle it.....I think! )

Arrrggghhh!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Way I try to figure out this kind of conundrum is to put myself in the other party's shoes as completely as possible. List to myself all the ramifications for them (loss of face is a common one that small-business builder "blokes" can't face, that I can, for example). What are they currently losing? What are they losing day-by-day? What else is it costing (obviously the costs not yet paid, also bad publicity, hold-up on another job, bad feeling in work crew... ) everything.

Then I sleep on it.

.. and then try to find a way that's likely to appeal to them as as positive an exit as they are likely to get, saves them face, allows them the appearance of holding the moral high-ground, yet finishes off in my favour.

{Diversion of an example: I had a useless general builder do some rebuilding and plumbing in a bathroom for me fifteen years ago; hopeless, cost him an awful lot for all his copper & time, two-week estimate, and he was still unfinished by week four, but needed much re-doing - which I could do myself. He'd saved me the time I hadn't had at the time, and done all the really smelly, filthy & dusty stuff, but he hadn't the skill to get the pipework into small enough spaces, and he'd effectively given the bath two U bends, by dint of running the waste pipe down then up hill, so it wouldn't drain, and botched the shower.... Stalemate; he couldn't finish, but needed/wanted payment, I didn't want the hassle of getting someone else in/legal.... and he was actually a nice, honest (but extremely thick) guy. So, I paid him more! I got him in to do a patio and surrounding wall for me, so I could "have his help" to finish the bathroom plumbing myself, as I'd have the time, as I'd (honestly promise ) allocated the time to do the patio myself (NOT!).

I barely needed his help, but invented reasons to consult him for advice. He contentedly did the patio, held the end of a piece of pipe occasionally, and was genuinely pleased not to have to finish. He even gave me a hefty reduction on the patio pricing, and admitted I'd helped him out of a hole.... I was much happier doing the bathroom than the patio!}

So, I'd offer a small amount towards the resolution, possibly to better any cheaper, easier resolution, and avoid a botch fix. Maybe pay towards new roof profiling... depends on the details of your "fix".. Or, you could have them renew another house window (if you want one done) and not worry they overcharge for that by a £100 or so...

I would make it clear this is a time-limited offer, and that if they don't act, you'll simply ask for them to remove all their unrequired fixtures and fittings within 21 days, and make good the damage, or you will then sue them.

However, one problem that you've given yourself by the delayed timescale is they are now in their busy season, and any resolution takes men off a paying job, putting them onto your (non-paying) one.

I think time-playing is now neutral; they've delayed getting payment long enough they'll survive it now, but you just want/need the danm job done and dusted... Your need is as great as theirs now. I'd push for a speedy resolution, or suggest legal action from now on.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd May 17, 8:42 AM
    • 23,688 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Thanks for all the replies folks....I'm even more confused now!

I don't think I've explained the conservatory problems very well, but rest assured, it will be finished properly, and we already know it will be fully inhabitable, despite facing due south. That's the most important thing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

728Posts Today

4,505Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Should pubs and restaurants be made by law to allow non customers (behaving reasonably) to use their toilets?

• Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• Follow Martin