Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,390Posts
    • 58,254Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 400
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 16th Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    pink poppy
    dafty duck.. I really think you ought to write a book in the format of your posts on here
    Originally posted by alfie 1

I think dafty and Dave are like a double act ~ a nice mix of knowledgeable and nutty

I have seen quite a lot of bumble bees around which is good.
    Originally posted by choille

Eek, yes it is good, but not when they appear to be taking up residence in my house!! Anyone know if bees will build a nest in a wall cavity?? I've seen a lot of them going into a grid thing which originally went straight into the garage, but now there's a cavity between it and the garage. DH has just had a look in the loft and he can't see or hear anything.
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 16th Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    I've never thought Dave was ever nutty... bit seniorile at times, but nutty?

Oh, that must mean... Um.. Right. Dave is pretty knowledgeable, I'll give you that.

I managed to move a huge water tank and a sheep weighbridge up from the watermeadows to the barn using my small tractor. Did them both at the same time, front and rear, for balance. Managed, but there were a few wet trouser moments when it all began swinging in opposite directions. Not the trouser contents....

Best news of all is it is raining. The hedging I planted has been screaming for some, and the soil is so dry we need much more.

A neighbour didn't want his compost heap. All 10 tonnes of it, from eight years gardening. Another job for Trevor the tractor, and I have a mountain of soil. Top quality stuff, and also now the highest peak in Norfolk!
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 16th Apr 17, 9:16 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    I've done some depressing calculations, the good life is many many years off yet

I'm going to have to sit down with the accountant to work out how to organise my finances and minimise tax etc, I just can't believe how much of a PAYE salary is sucked up by income tax, NI, student loans etc. I'm hoping some self employed consultancy on the side might allow me to build up a fund to buy some land.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 17, 7:06 AM
    • 22,876 Posts
    • 87,995 Thanks
    Davesnave
    hello everyone
    Originally posted by emmapaltridge
    Hi Emma. When are you going to spam us, you old robot?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 17, 7:43 AM
    • 22,876 Posts
    • 87,995 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I've done some depressing calculations, the good life is many many years off yet
    Originally posted by Chesapeake
    Hate to tell you, but even those with the land have trouble finding the good life bit! I've paid £40 for fishing and still been nowhere near the river....

It's been mad here over Easter with visitors, and then, just when we thought they'd gone, one lot came back with broken suspension. No chance of rescue in a reasonable time frame on BHM, so they stayed and I got them into our local garage at 9 am yesterday. It was all done and dusted by 12, much to their amazement, as the garage keeps a good stock of springs in due to the roads around here! Not everything is slow in the countryside.

By then our builder had returned and started chasing me to finish digging out the floor of the conservatory, so I did, but due to a change in plans, I now have to remove around 3 tonnes of sand & gravel that as going to be under the damp proof membrane, as it's now being made into concrete instead and laid on top.

The Glass & Glazing Federation is as inscrutible an institution as I've yet encountered, so no direct info from them about conciliation. In fact they now claim it will all be done via telephone calls. No it won't. The conservatory company won't be allowed to return until they put their proposals in written form, and that probably won't be until we've done the main flooring work as they won't want to be balancing on joists......
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 19th Apr 17, 8:43 AM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 45,024 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi emma,
    the sun seems to be back this morning.. we had a spattering of the wet stuff the other evening but didn't do much ! been a tad overcast for a few days with a chill wind but better today....so far.

I am now trying to organise "visits" to my mum [she didn't want to see any randoms up till now but I think she wants a gossip catch up now !!] sounds selfish but I need a break now... been almost every day for 5 weeks and also feel its about time the family pulled their weight too.... iow sister comes to either dad or mum once a week... brother came twice in the beginning, OTHER sister been once.....
    that's families for you !!
    ANYWAY...
    I still have big dog staying , but owner is better health wise just needs all clear to be able to fly home .... so I have 8 dogs with me during the week !!!

just getting new small 5 bar gates put in beside my cattle grid so dustmen will be pleased, as it was a major assault course to get through that sill wiggle gate [which dropped as you opened it AND was a bu**ar to get back in line !

did I tell you of my "falling through the cattle grid episode? [sorry if repeating!]
    in my normal hurry, I spotted door to oil tank left open as I was reversing over cattle grid, so pulled forward thinking I was clear of grid, opened car door , leapt out and ....disappeared! both legs went down through bars and I sort of fell forward so was spread-eagled and stuck... car door blocking me one side ! managed to get out with the grace of an elephant.... bruised one knee a bit but seems ok ...
    award for stupidity ? ME !

ive bagged another weird and wonderfull item off the bay [I have my moments ! ]

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 22,876 Posts
    • 87,995 Thanks
    Davesnave

Should brighten-up the daily grind a bit.

But where's the monkey?
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 19th Apr 17, 8:56 PM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 45,024 Thanks
    alfie 1
    Should brighten-up the daily grind a bit.

But where's the monkey?
    Originally posted by Davesnave

im sure someone could tell me a sob story re an unloved monkey needing a home.....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 17, 9:42 PM
    • 22,876 Posts
    • 87,995 Thanks
    Davesnave
    im sure someone could tell me a sob story re an unloved monkey needing a home.....
    Undoubtedly, but seriously, don't listen....

You need to have a rest!

Families are like that. We had 2 offspring and their partners here at Easter. One pair help out cheerfully, but the other pair.......

Over the lane, one of Horse Woman's sons continues to prepare the place for sale 2+ days a week. He visits his Mum too. The other 2 haven't been seen for ages.

It's seriously dry now. If this carries on, we shall have moorland fires.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th Apr 17, 9:45 PM
    • 12,008 Posts
    • 214,015 Thanks
    greenbee
    well now you mention it...
    • choille
    • By choille 19th Apr 17, 9:59 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 26,964 Thanks
    choille
    I think dafty and Dave are like a double act ~ a nice mix of knowledgeable and nutty

Eek, yes it is good, but not when they appear to be taking up residence in my house!! Anyone know if bees will build a nest in a wall cavity?? I've seen a lot of them going into a grid thing which originally went straight into the garage, but now there's a cavity between it and the garage. DH has just had a look in the loft and he can't see or hear anything.
    Originally posted by pink poppy
    I would think that bees may just make a hive in there. Usually there are insect screens on vents?
    • choille
    • By choille 19th Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 26,964 Thanks
    choille
    Been drizzly today but slightly milder - it was minus 5 the other night & I don't seem to be able to get warm at all.

Been taking some very spindly, flagpole trees down to give others a bit of space. It's oddly satisfying if a slow job that makes much branches to be burnt when they are dry enough.

Hens seem intent on wreaking the garden.

Puppy is being adorable one minute, a horror the next. His eyes seem to be a lovely grey colour & he does look quite adorable with his choclatey colour & white socks - but looks can be deceptive at times.

Hairy cat seems to be less in the huff & seems to have become much more dignified and almost haughty the way he stands on high looking with distain, down on the little monster he sees before him.

Lovely grinder Alfie - what you intending to do with it?
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 20th Apr 17, 6:40 PM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 45,024 Thanks
    alfie 1
    Lovely grinder Alfie - what you intending to do with it?

well....... if its is pretty ropey I intend to dismantle it and use the panels for on my 2 seater exercise cart... theres some nice paintwork pics [birds etc] so I will have a cracking unusual cart !!
    if its ok I will just display it ....where im not sure !

just couldn't resist buying it, seller had put it in as a GRINDER and it ended up in the coffee grinders section !! so not many bidders ...hehehe
    • choille
    • By choille 20th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 26,964 Thanks
    choille
    It's sort of like fair ground painter which it may well have been?

If it was planted up a pub would buy it, but it may weigh a ton?

Grey, low cloud & drizzly here - cold. Went for a run on the beach - puppy loves sand & we had it all to ourselves.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 20th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 45,024 Thanks
    alfie 1
    It's sort of like fair ground painter which it may well have been?

If it was planted up a pub would buy it, but it may weigh a ton?

Grey, low cloud & drizzly here - cold. Went for a run on the beach - puppy loves sand & we had it all to ourselves.
    Originally posted by choille

what a wonderful life your pup is going to have... what more can they ask for but freedom to be dogs

d you have a name for him yet ???
    • choille
    • By choille 20th Apr 17, 9:11 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 26,964 Thanks
    choille
    Freddie.

He is just a definite Freddie.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 21st Apr 17, 11:05 AM
    • 22,876 Posts
    • 87,995 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Names.

So we called the cats Delilah and Izzy.

And what do I call them?

Woolly and Wiggy!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 21st Apr 17, 11:05 PM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 45,024 Thanks
    alfie 1
    animal names

bimble... bimmy fart
    dusty...asbo
    dolly... doo doo
    sunny [cat]... babs
    Jamaican [stallion] .... jimmy jam
    ruby.. rubes/ ruby two shoes
    storm... big lad
    lori [mini shet]... little sh*t
    • Fay
    • By Fay 22nd Apr 17, 6:58 AM
    • 968 Posts
    • 3,092 Thanks
    Fay
    Hi everyone, I'm glad to see most people posting. I'm happy to see Alfie's mum is on the mend, choille has a new puppy (also can't wait to se pics), CTC has a partial poly tunnel and a gaggle of cats (delicious!), Dave is cracking in as always and Daffy is working like a trooper and keeping everyone entertained. And I'm glad others are all posting and moving forward with plans.
    I'm starting to get there in my own life. Still mainly in limbo and will be in my current home for a awhile yet. But I'm planning on taking a lot of plants with me, wondering when the best time to move them is...hostas, hellebores, hardy geraniums, snowball bush (small), sambucus nugra (small), angels fishing rod, salvias. I've worked so very very hard on this garden and I'm determined to carry some of the dream with me to what will now be my very own dream. And who knows, maybe one day I will have a small holding now.
    Feeling stronger day by day. Thanks for all the support during the very wobbly days x
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd Apr 17, 9:23 AM
    • 22,876 Posts
    • 87,995 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hi everyone,
    Feeling stronger day by day. Thanks for all the support during the very wobbly days x
    Originally posted by Fay
    Good to hear from you Fay and to see the positive way you're thinking. Confident you'll come through it, but it's a long road...

Dafty and I have both moved literally shedloads of plants when moving. I did mine in August, which isn't ideal, but I'd divided them long before that, so they were in pots for a year or more. Again, that's not ideal, but it worked.

Some of the plants you have, like the hosta, could still be divided now. They'll look tatty, but will pull through. For others, like the hellebores, you'll either have to dig them up whole, or wait till late autumn, which I'd guess might be too late. Plants don't like being moved when in full growth, but many will put up with it,if they have to, especially if you reduce top growth and demand on the roots.

The great thing about gardens is that, trees and massive shrubs apart, they can be dismantled and re-built. We are going to dig up all the plants along our frontage, behind the low hedge because having them there hasn't worked. They're fine, but DW isn't finding maintenance easy there, and the wild grasses have got in among them, so they need replacement with a simple mulch of grass clippings and one or two 'thug' plants to create a bit of interest. We can move them to new beds nearer the house shortly.....next year.... probably.

And our main garden isn't even started yet.....only 7.5 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,617Posts Today

7,974Users online

Martin's Twitter