Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,312Posts
    • 58,148Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 395
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 3rd Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 21,834 Posts
    • 85,882 Thanks
    Davesnave
    that's what happened to our local panto !! since gone totally "womens anatomy" up !

she thought she was producing for a London stage show not a village hall, humorous, local oiks gathering !!
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Nah, this one isn't the Linda Snell type. Young, low key, grounded, has other interests and skills etc. It'll be a bit different, I expect, but with a 19 year history, no one will want to throw the present successful formula away. Besides, scenery, costumes lights and props will still be in the same capable hands. Part of our efficiency is that everyone knows what they do.....like I just have to act the fool.

It's essential that things evolve, or they die.

Take the village magazine, which looked like it was folding last November. Suddenly, 3 people popped up, saying, "We'll have a crack at it!" In two months they've turned the whole thing around, made it look really good and brought in new features and advertising, so we have something now that the village can be proud of again....full colour, glossy paper...it's like we're in the 21st century!
    I used to suffer with kleptomania, but now I take something for it.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 6th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 44,889 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all

well we have had WIND !! we have had RAIN !!, we have had SUN !!
    cant make its mind up....

my mum came to stay for the weekend and we intended to tackle the garden but were in and out like yoyo's !
    mum is in the end room which has a complete "wall" of patio doors so a panoramic view over the garden / fields..
    she awoke sunday morning to the sight of jim jam [stallion] "doing the deed"
    so hopefully a foal will be announced at a later date

I have a young lad coming next Saturday to help do all sorts of jobs. hes 14 and looking to earn a few bob so thought it a worthy [helpful to me] way of getting those 2 people jobs done..

im still sat in my dressing gown as have a hip/leg problem now .. think ive trapped a nerve as it is spasm'ing ... last time this happened I jumped off a wall [without thinking first !] and it cured it but am hesitant in trying it a second time ....
    its dry, calm and slightly sunny today so am going to do as many driving trips as poss [work tomorrow] to fetch/deliver stuff.

hope everyone has survived the weather [if similar to ours]
    • Fay
    • By Fay 6th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    Fay
    I'm still trying to breathe and process everything. Feels very surreal and I have no idea how to stop feeling so lost. I've taken some time off work as I'm no good for me let alone patients.
    I need to start thinking of having the house valued but the garden could do with a post winter today. Not sure that matters though really.
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 6th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    pink poppy
    Sounds like the right thing to do to take some time off, Fay.

I wouldn't worry too much about tidying the garden before getting a valuation. I do find it helps my frame of mind when I'm busy doing stuff outside though, so do it for your wellbeing if you think it will help.
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 6th Mar 17, 7:16 PM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 44,889 Thanks
    alfie 1
    ive set you a private message ,fay... x
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Mar 17, 8:04 AM
    • 21,834 Posts
    • 85,882 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Ghastly weather this morning, but temperatures are up, which will help now that most of the delicate seeds are through. The conservatory porch is warmer than the polytunnel, so that's where they are.

No response from the conservatory company for 2 weeks now. Promises, promises. They've had enough time. I spent most of yesterday preparing a submission to the Glass & Glazing Federation, so that will go today. We've played it by the book through gritted teeth, but the gloves are off now.....

Visiting the local hospital with DW today as we continue to investigate her mobility problem. She has gained more pain relief with her current prescription, but now sleeps for England, so that's not a great solution long term. She painted the new walk-in wardrobe room yesterday and I bought the fittings from IKEA. That'll be another room done....just a pity about the en-suite it leads off, where we need some drains. Can't contemplate those yet, while it's still like the Somme. Best left till summer.

Our builder is off to Oz at the end of the month to lay his foundations, but the good news is that he won't be leaving here permanently till September/October at the earliest.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 8th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 44,889 Thanks
    alfie 1
    ghastly weather here too

its SO unpredictable ! I filled a 3 tier planter with lovely polyanthus yesterday after work, sun was on them and this morning..... looking very sad

ive got someone coming tomorrow to give me a quote to paint walls of end room and wallpaper my dining room... my hip/leg is still giving me jip and to be honest I cant get motivated to do it myself !

I hope mrs dave gets answers / help
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 21,834 Posts
    • 85,882 Thanks
    Davesnave
    . my hip/leg is still giving me jip and to be honest I cant get motivated to do it myself !

I hope mrs dave gets answers / help
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    I don't want to alarm you, but if it's hip/leg, then what you have might be similar to what DW has. It's like a sports injury.

But it should get better with rest....only hers hasn't.

We are back to the physio consultant again now, but still in the loop rather than starting from scratch, so quick appointment. One advantage of living in the middle is that we can intercept medics in different hospitals.....tilll the close them down! Crediton this week, Okehampton next week, Exeter or Barnstaple the week after maybe. Certain procedures only happen in certain places though.

Still raining! I've ordered logs for tomorrow as we're low and I've no time to cut more, but he won't be able to drop them in the yard; it's a quagmire. It'll have to be up here by the house, under a tarpaulin.

Don't sheep have good eyesight? Ours can be nonchalantly grazing over 100m away, but if I try to get down the garden unobserved....no chance! Then, next thing, they're all over at the fence shouting for more haylage!
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 8th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 3,486 Posts
    • 6,947 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    The sheep here - and particularly the donkeys - have excellent eyesight. The latter watch out for us inside the house, and make their demands known VERY LOUDLY if we move a muscle! Luckily, we are right on the edge of the village, but everyone in the village can hear them. That's not so bad during the day, but my wife goes to her desk at 6:30am for an early work-in, and has to do so with the light out, and the curtain closed.

The sheep are still entertaining everyone; they are in the closest field to the house, and it's visible from the lane (while I've hacked the hedge apart). Cars now crawl past at 5mph to see where the lambs are. Their latest game is to jump right over the picnic table (that's partly set up as a shelter using bales) so, from the lane, there's nothing... nothing.. nothing... LAMB in mid-air... nothing... nothing... LAMB in mid-air...

I've got a close-up view of this, and the passing gawpers, as I've been living in the hedge this past week... well, spending as much time as poss. clearing the remainder out. Hedging arrives on Friday, and there's still lots to do. I look like I've been pulled through a hedge backwards, because I have been pull.....

We are now on the old-lady circuit as well: several of the elderly are now cruising past daily dog walking (or weekly for the weaker on foot) to see what's 'appening now. My reputation for being a bit eccentric is useful, as I don't need to explain myself too much as to why I'm carrying whatever I've got, or what on earth I'm about to do. The place has been so run-down for so long that they are all delighted to see it being sorted (well, so they tell me). There are dead trees that I'm removing that are held up by ivy (or where there is simply no tree inside, just ivy), and I was told by one old boy that they were dead in the 1987 storm, and he was surprised they didn't fall then. Someone just cut the tops off around then, and left the bottom ten feet to rot where they stood.

Take things easy Alfie, and don't do anything stupid.... I have a problem hip/leg, partly sciatica, but not helped by my jumping a ditch when running fifteen years ago, missing the other side and landing in the middle, then running home wet & cold. It was a day later when the tingling numbness in my legs, and then the vomiting made me seek medical help, and I was then told I'd a minor spinal fracture, and it was a good job I'd taken it so easily since, otherwise things might have been much, much worse. I didn't admit my obvious stupidity to the doc! I am not the most sensible...

Oh, the ancient jar of pickled onions... wasn't so old, as it's still in date! I might pass it on for the village fete raffle!
    • choille
    • By choille 8th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 26,816 Thanks
    choille
    Really heavy rain all day & then brilliant sunshine then....buckets of wet stuff.
    Still having internet on & off & very useless slow speeds, so is a lot of people we gather - annoying.

Hope your hip improves Alfie - not handy.
    Been cleaning a neighbours kitchen but didn't get that much done as I don't think it's ever been tackled for a couple of decades - rather sticky, so it's taking a while.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 9th Mar 17, 10:54 AM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 33,754 Thanks
    lucielle
    Probably quite satisfying, Choille. At least you can tell where you've been!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900, Dec 08 £39782.36 Overdrafts £3100, Dec 09 £29304.84 Overdrafts £2820, Dec 10 £16449 Overdrafts £2490
    Dec 11 £12673.80 Overdrafts £1250, Dec 12 £4591 Overdrafts £400 02/02/13 new debt figure £5831.00 New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013

DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • choille
    • By choille 9th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 26,816 Thanks
    choille
    Yes, but I have caught her heavy cold, so I have been coughing most of the night - grrrr.

April shower day again but bright. Internet actually working okay so am trying to catch all those things that need doing on it & emails.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 9th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 33,754 Thanks
    lucielle
    GRRR don't talk to me about colds. Have had a cough for 5 weeks and just got antibiotics for it, though the doctor did suggest I could leave it a bit longer I said 5 weeks was long enough! Hope yours clears up quicker than mine.

All the chaps are gearing up for lambing time. DS1 is currently midwife to 140 cows so he's not going out very much. At the moment its the calm before the storm/

OH had his 50th birthday party, it all went very well but I'm glad its over. Mind you his actual birthday isn't until the 29th.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900, Dec 08 £39782.36 Overdrafts £3100, Dec 09 £29304.84 Overdrafts £2820, Dec 10 £16449 Overdrafts £2490
    Dec 11 £12673.80 Overdrafts £1250, Dec 12 £4591 Overdrafts £400 02/02/13 new debt figure £5831.00 New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013

• choille
    • By choille 9th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 26,816 Thanks
    choille
    5 weeks Lucielle - you must be fed up to the teeth of it. Does your chest hurt when you cough? I'm finding it quite painful & I'm a newbie to it.

Congrats to OH - like the queen with his official birthday & his 'real' one?

Not a bad day here with no rain - how odd is that?
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 10th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 33,754 Thanks
    lucielle
    Yes pretty fed up with it, I was giving myself a headache with all the coughing!

Not to mention other areas that having had 4 children were affected, sorry TMI.

Hoping to go to the garden centre this weekend and have a nosey there.

What's everybody else up to?
    L

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 21,834 Posts
    • 85,882 Thanks
    Davesnave
    What's everybody else up to?
    L
    Originally posted by lucielle
    Still digging up the conservatory floor, getting the road hedge into shape, sowing seeds, pricking-out seedlings, re-potting, putting up blinds, sandpapering....

....and now watering almost daily in the poly.

Oh, and hiding from the sheep!

Yesterday, despite the mud, we managed to get a load of hardwood delivered in the bottom yard, just outside the barn. Brilliant! But then I saw much of it was sized for our old wood stove....

Hours of splitting later, I was lurching about the place like Quasimodo, but the wood pile by then looked like it had doubled in size!

Naturally, now that we have plenty of wood, it's turned very warm. 16c in Ilfracombe today and I'll bet our bottom yard was a few degrees above that. Some of the trees, like the medlars, are leafing-up. That's early!

Saw an estate agent at horse Woman's place yesterday. At first I thought it was a Mormon (we don't see many suits around here! ) and nearly made a run for the other end of the field, but then I saw he was alone.

Apparently, HW's comfortable enough, but asleep much of the time and off with the fairies when awake.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 11th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 33,754 Thanks
    lucielle
    Not doing very much then Dave

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 21,834 Posts
    • 85,882 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Not doing very much then Dave
    Originally posted by lucielle
    Digging up the living room floor today.

The trouble is, DW knows if she suggests getting our builder back to do jobs I'm perfectly capable of, I'll be onto them straight away.

I don't resent paying when something is beyond my skill set, but when it's just laying a bit of concrete.....

Never mind, he's off to Oz in another week, so I'll be safe then.... for a while!
    • ukmaggie45
    • By ukmaggie45 11th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 18,340 Thanks
    ukmaggie45
    I'm not doing anything much other than working on my PIP Tribunal stuff from bed... Yesterday got copies of the latest evidence from Tribunal Service, we're up to 341 pages now, and just sent more off today - OH's witness statement about the assessment.

But we have dahlia tubers arrived, and OH has got pots and compost ready to plant them in.

Seem to have mislaid the sweet pea seeds again - prob in the pile of carp on OH's side of the bed, mixed in with piles of PIP paperwork.

Spuddies are chitting in kitchen.

Need to fill up root trainers with compost and get beans going, and broadies too...

Oh, and we have 2 artichoke plants to put in lottie. When can we plant spuds there? My guess is more or less now? We can always fleece ground if we get cold weather warning.

So sorry to hear news about HW Dave - but maybe best she's sleeping a lot.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 12th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 44,889 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all

can anything else happen here !!

didn't get an answer from mum on the phone last night so assumed she was out, but left a message. when she didn't return the call I started to worry... but didn't want to roll up at 11pm and wake/scare the daylights out of her by letting myself in.. so 8am this morning rang again, no answer so shot over there and hey ho shed had a fall ! was 2 ft from the emergency chord but couldn't reach it .... turns out she fell FRIDAY EVENING !!! so been crumpled/wedged on bathroom floor for nigh on 36hrs.... called 999... she is now in hospital, corker of a black eye, wack on head, sore hip, sore shoulder, BUT no breaksthank goodness !
    alas they found a small bleed on the brain which they think caused her faint/fall in the first place so she is in the stroke unit till they can confirm wether it was the hours laid on sore side or symptoms of stroke ....
    all mum was worried about was that she was in her nightgown with NO KNICKERS on ....
    she is such a toughie !!
    im exhausted as got home 6pm and then had to ring "family" ad explain x 3 !!

and theres me thinking I was going to finally get a "do nothing" day...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,270Posts Today

6,052Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin