Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,282Posts
    • 58,096Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 371
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 15th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 44,592 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well bu**ar me ! field is spotless !!!
    an army of people out today picking it all up and stuffing in huge bags... must be the remnants of the strawberry workers last days of work... mainly from eu...

its been sort of sunny today but now overcast...

ive done it again ! theres a charity boat that sails out of lymington for London inner city kids... the school bought the boat and they come down weekends/holidays to give the kids some fresh air... well they were stuck this weekend for accommodation for some of the teachers. the kids stay on the boat. SO muggins offered to put up 2 adults with their 2 young kids... so I cleaned /sorted my big bedroom [matresses for kids] and thought I could kip on my sofa... until I had a call from one of the adults asking if I could put up another chap as the b&b has double booked him !... so hes got a mattress in the lounge and im....well, im not sure yet !!! its only one night and it is for a good cause.... hhhmmmm...
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 15th Oct 16, 7:24 PM
    • 7,803 Posts
    • 33,547 Thanks
    lucielle
    Well done you Alfie! We are all over the place, decorated living room, kitchen and dining room. Currently doing our bedroom and hallway and that is it. Dog is covered in blue paint which is apt as she's a blue merle! She's off to the groomers on Thursday so good luck to them sorting her out.

Away to the house on Friday, staying at a dog friendly hotel on Friday night as we have guests in until Saturday. Chaps are all coming up on Sunday as they have a masked young farmers ball.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900, Dec 08 £39782.36 Overdrafts £3100, Dec 09 £29304.84 Overdrafts £2820, Dec 10 £16449 Overdrafts £2490
    Dec 11 £12673.80 Overdrafts £1250, Dec 12 £4591 Overdrafts £400 02/02/13 new debt figure £5831.00 New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013

DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • choille
    • By choille 16th Oct 16, 12:01 AM
    • 4,591 Posts
    • 25,966 Thanks
    choille
    CTC - Sorry to hear you have flu & it's lingering.

Alfie - trust you to offer your bed(s) for a good cause.

Not a lot to report, but the dry spell have ended & the weather has turned quite chilly. The deer are bellowing away & I have sold my lovely ram but he hasn't been collected yet.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 16th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 44,592 Thanks
    alfie 1
    wow ! having met the young teenagers/school teachers/crew involved in this amazing story [the people who had my beds last night]... i am so impressed.. this school managed to get a wreck of a boat, do it up and go on to get a bigger boat for these teenagers to train on... funded by the parents/school ? ...NO. these kids have raised 1000's to pay for it all by training hard [with volunteers] and giving speeches to companies/sponsors etc themselves.. they are not "silver spoon" kids... they have learnt confidence, motivation that they CAN achieve... and they have ! winning races against "those that have " and aiming for the fastnet race.. i am in total awe of these kids and the adults involved... now thats what i call kids to be proud of....

TRULY awesome to see these young kids really determined to enter the fastnet... I met them today..

puts kids "who have" to shame in my book... these kids have fought their way out of what could be a wrong path yet we have local supposedly well brought up kids ,that wreek havoc on the streets...
    makes me cross, sorry !
    • choille
    • By choille 16th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 4,591 Posts
    • 25,966 Thanks
    choille
    Good with the kids - needs people imputing, good teachers who care.

Quite breezy here - managed to burn all the branches & twigs from the trees we had to take down. Been doing it for months, but got them all burnt now - ready to take some more down - too spindly & close together ones. Been doing odds & ends of jobs - bits that need a bit of paint. Takes ages to find the paint & roller that OH hasn't hidden & it's brick hard by now.

Made 12 jars of crab apple jelly yesterday - lovely red colour & a good set. Had some on a scone & it's nice - even though I say it myself.
    Definatly autumn now.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 16th Oct 16, 7:17 PM
    • 4,351 Posts
    • 8,958 Thanks
    I have spoken
    Early autumnal colour in the Clyde valley at New Lanark

• alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 17th Oct 16, 12:07 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 44,592 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all....

ooooooooer ! weather has changed here !!
    its gusting and heavy showers then a break then repeat.. cannot judge it except every time ive set foot out the door the heavens open !!! I think , oh, i'll make a cuppa and it stops

I cannot believe the amount of dogs that are being stolen !! im constantly reading of dogs found matted,starved ,left somewhere.. some are the stolen dogs they obviously haven't sold or been able to breed from..
    what is it with society that can do this to a defenceless animal ??
    me personally, if someone did that to one of mine id happily take a baseball bat and show them the finer art of "the swing"...
    I also don't understand how people [I use the word loosely] just "rehome" their dogs online without any checks on potential new owner..
    when I moved house, my priority was to be able to take my dogs with me... maybe I was lucky but id have lived in a tent rather than part with my animogs...

sorry, rant over ! I just get so upset for these animals

oh look, the suns out... dare I step outside..
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 11,536 Posts
    • 208,200 Thanks
    greenbee
    did you get wet Alfie?

Every time I think it looks better outside it then starts tipping down again...
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 17th Oct 16, 1:33 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 44,592 Thanks
    alfie 1
    did you get wet Alfie?

Every time I think it looks better outside it then starts tipping down again...
    Originally posted by greenbee

YEP !!

walked down to put hay in for jim jam and got caught on the way back
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Oct 16, 10:16 PM
    • 20,797 Posts
    • 83,703 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Lots of activity and interesting comments on the thread in the past week, from tall ships to strange manure, bellowing deer and masked young farmers.....I've been reading, but staying quiet.... Well, I have a sore throat!

Sorry you've been unwell CTC. These things linger on.
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • choille
    • By choille 18th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 4,591 Posts
    • 25,966 Thanks
    choille
    Nice photo IHS - must take some- must as the place looks stunning - love the way the silver birches go yellow speckled leaves - all the grass & bracken is ginger - like the deer.

Feel sad as I must down size the sheep so have been trying to sort it out - my babies! Will leave it to OH as I can't bear the thought.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 19th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 44,592 Thanks
    alfie 1
    stunning day here ! suns shining, blue sky ...

and im spending the afternoon in the hospital with my mum [having melanoma removed]..............
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Oct 16, 11:57 PM
    • 20,797 Posts
    • 83,703 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hope it all went well for Mum, alfie. The Big C has been in our minds too recently, as we attended a big event at the weekend to celebrate the life of a friend: a survivor who raises thousands for the hospital she still attends.

Here, I just have a sore throat and the usual aches & pains which go with it, so nothing to grumble about, but I've taken it easy.

The other two broke through from the unfinished en-suite to DW's Den today, which will now be sealed-up from the outside to become a walk-in wardrobe/linen room about 10' x 8' in old money. In the picture DW is frantically painting the door that will never open again when a wall is built behind it.....

• choille
    • By choille 20th Oct 16, 12:03 AM
    • 4,591 Posts
    • 25,966 Thanks
    choille
    Hope mum gets on fine Alfie.

You are busy Dave - always you two are getting stuff done.

It's been a slow day here - shifting things & then shifting other things - living in the place as we are doing it is hard & muddly. Still, what can you do?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Oct 16, 12:43 AM
    • 20,797 Posts
    • 83,703 Thanks
    Davesnave
    You are busy Dave - always you two are getting stuff done.

It's been a slow day here - shifting things & then shifting other things - living in the place as we are doing it is hard & muddly. Still, what can you do?
    Originally posted by choille
    Yes, it's gone well in the last two days, but what we're doing now is changing stuff we did last year, thanks to altering our plans. If we'd done it right the first time.....

Still, it's lucky we made DW's room flexible. This bedroom/en-suite/wardrobe space combination could be a small, independent living unit without a lot of tweaking now. The space we're making into storage for clothes and linen could be a basic kitchen, if we ever need it. Hope we don't, but circumstances alter.

As for shifting things.... where the builder is fixing the door frame, there was a Welsh dresser parked and about 20 boxes! That all moved late last week. Most of the house is still a bit of a tip, but it's a warm tip now and the kitchen/diner's good.

Incidentally, our builder friend bought a plot of around an acre while in Australia, complete with PP and a modern wooden barn. He won't be around here for more than a year now. He and his wife will be off to build their dream.

I'm really happy for him. He lost everything in the financial crash of 2008. He's a much better joiner than businessman.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Oct 16, 12:51 AM
    • 20,797 Posts
    • 83,703 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Oh, almost forgot...saw what looked like two big planes joined together today and then another two, which I snapped when they were well into the distance.

When I blew the pictures up, I could see one was flying above the other and they weren't refuelling or joined at all.

imgur
    Look to me like B52s, but I'm no expert!
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 20th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 6,360 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    What is the gestation period of a B52? When do we hear the scream of likkle engines?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 20,797 Posts
    • 83,703 Thanks
    Davesnave
    What is the gestation period of a B52? When do we hear the scream of likkle engines?
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Never. They migrate westwards to the USA in order to breed.

The actual mechanics of it are shrouded in mystery, but a rare photograph, smuggled out of Area 51, may yield some clues:

My guess is that it's some kind of asexual process. You have to admit, it's quite like this:

• DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 20th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 6,360 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Is that seamen on the wings? If so, that's not asexual reproduction.

Oh, wrong kind of..... Ah....
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 21st Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 44,592 Thanks
    alfie 1
    morning all...

now that would be a spectacular "wing walk" if it took to the air
    mums little op went fine...she takes it all in her stride !

getting very cool at night now ! brrrrr and bit chilly first thing... seems to warm up a bit during the day ... a bit !
    still no rain tho [had a few attempts last week] and the ground id rock hard, ponds still almost empty..

I got home yesterday to find a big box on my doorstep containing the most beautifull bunch of roses and chocs sent from the couple and 2 kids I had to stay last weekend... brightened my day !

still no sign of horses next door moving they have broken the top wire to our field leaning over to get to our grass but I see she has craftily put an electric fence line [not on] at an angle to prevent this on the broken bit BUT its still broken ... im undecided wether to say to her to mend it or leave it till they get in and then complain

im hoping on Monday that we can pick up the carriage [hoss] to take it to LIR.. the mare and foal are growing/changing daily it seems ! LIR intends to go shopping by hoss and cart....

im getting so bl**dy annoyed with these random selling calls to my mobile !! I now just say "can I have your details as you have my number illegally....oooo where have you gone "

the one thing I do miss in this house is the lack of "jobs to do"... I know ! I don't get covered I paint/oil/sawdust etc... should be gratefull I suppose...

im having my feet "done" today... im treating my crocodile heels to a going over....
    then driving a couple [in their posh car] to the docks for a cruise...

well have a good y'all...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

3,350Users online

Martin's Twitter