Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,282Posts
    • 58,096Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 370
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 12th Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    • 3,267 Posts
    • 6,350 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Before you walk home with a cordless, look at the battery in the shop (they still exist in some areas), and write down the meaningless number that's on it, along with the model number of said gadget. Go home, and stick the numbers in Ebay. If a dozen suppliers of replacement batteries pop up {and note the price}, you are probably fairly safe in getting replacements.

I've got a Wolf Garten 24v cordless, but it isn't half as powerful as my corded, and the petrol monster (which weighs a tonne) will chomp through two inches. Neighbour has an Einhell (from, I think here )which is cheap, but works well. Bosch are very good. Too posh for me, but they are good. There will always be spare batteries for them, but may not be for the cheaper Aldi-Argos own brands.

Keeping on top of the hedge (figuratively, anyway ) helps, if your trimmer isn't too strong.

Built sheepses a shelter, 'cos wife thought they might be a bit chilly in the wind. They already have one shelter, but need another at a different angle, just in case the wind is wrong!

These animals have the life of Reilly. My middle name ought to be Reilly, really, given how much work I have to do for the blighters.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 12th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 4,349 Posts
    • 8,953 Thanks
    I have spoken
    Seeking your advice, we want to plant a memorial tree for our boss who died earlier this year.

The proposed site is south-ish facing, about 6m from the office building but close to a pathway so needs to be columnar in habit.

Scotland, so plenty of rain but the site itself doesn't water-log.

'Care' will be from a contracted ground maintenance company

Any ideas?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 20,766 Posts
    • 83,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Dawyck Beech, either gold or purple?
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 16, 7:49 PM
    • 20,766 Posts
    • 83,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Or.....Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette'.

New to UK. Likes moisture and acid soil. Very narrow:

https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/liquidambar-styraciflua-slender-silhouette-tree-pp674
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • 20,766 Posts
    • 83,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Not much to report here. Conservatory company haven't replied to our request for a breakdown of additional costs and the two fire/fireplace people haven't sent any estimates through.

On the plus side, we had our new TV wiring made live yesterday, so there's TV in the bedrooms and kitchen/diner, not just the living room, and the awful remains of the 'cowshed' stuck onto the end of the house can now be demolished. There were just two poles and a connecting bit of wood left, with the old satellite dish attached!

This also means we can drive a digger in there and lay the final length of drain, but with winter approaching, we're not up for that. If the conservatory is delayed, as I suspect it might be, we'll just shut up shop for the winter, rather than carve the garden up with any more digging. We don't need soak-aways immediately, not with the amount of rubble I've buried!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 13th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 44,583 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi folks

what do you make of this.... 2 fields along from me, I thought they were muck spreading !!

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 11,533 Posts
    • 208,130 Thanks
    greenbee
    What on earth is it? Have you investigated further?
    • ukmaggie45
    • By ukmaggie45 14th Oct 16, 5:29 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 17,752 Thanks
    ukmaggie45
    hi folks

what do you make of this.... 2 fields along from me, I thought they were muck spreading !!
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Looks more like fly tipping to me.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Oct 16, 6:17 AM
    • 11,533 Posts
    • 208,130 Thanks
    greenbee
    Looks more like fly tipping to me.
    Originally posted by ukmaggie45
    Yep. Although why would they spread it out rather than leave it in a heap? Or do it in daylight?

Did you get the number plate Alfie?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Oct 16, 7:19 AM
    • 20,766 Posts
    • 83,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Well, there is muck there and also plastic, so it looks as if they have spread plastic bags full of muck, with the spreader cutting them up.

There's nothing except the white and black plastic, so it's not fly tipping.

Perhaps the bag material is biodegradeable,or it had begun to biodegrade, making the bags unsaleable? Let's hope so.

Whatever, it's going to blow about a bit, come winter.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Oct 16, 7:25 AM
    • 20,766 Posts
    • 83,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Speaking of farm machinery, some old dear ran into a hedge flail on the back of a tractor yesterday, although whose fault it was is impossible to tell, as those things waggle about in the resting position and the tractor drivers often try to wiggle the !!!!! of their vehicle to bring it into a good passing position. Could be he wiggled wrong.....

Anyway, it didn't half make a mess of the Peugeot's front end!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 14th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 44,583 Thanks
    alfie 1
    morning... ive never seen anything like it to be honest !!
    im going to go look today... ive a feeling they will have ploughed it in.. but heck nows what and why its been done. if its biodegradeable I cant see the benefit to the soil and seems a lot of work just to get rid of it.
    there was a mountain of what looked like "muck" in the field for days then yesterday what looked like a tractor dustcart was thrashing it out the back [sort of shredding as it chucked] and a huge digger loading this truck thing..

I will let you know what I find out....

well we had forecast horrendous rain today ?? none yet, just had a shower in the night.. might have spoken too soon tho !

the lake at friends has almost bottomed out through lack of rain.. top pond [5ft deep] is down to a few inches !!
    forest watering holes are non existant which means the ponies are having to travel to find water....

I hope you are all well and "dry"...
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 11,533 Posts
    • 208,130 Thanks
    greenbee
    It's been dry here too Alfie - my stream is just a trickle. We had some rain overnight - not sure how much. I'm hoping to be able to cut the grass and hedge in the next day or so. And then cross my fingers that they STOP growing...
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 14th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 44,583 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well.... apparently its all the plastic/growbags associated with the strawberry growing business... to quote" its easier to get the soil out of them by shredding them than emptying each bag" then apparently they pick up all the shredded bags....

not sure how they go about picking up everybit tho ?? big hoover ? the dry peat/soil is going to go too if that's the method !!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 11,533 Posts
    • 208,130 Thanks
    greenbee
    I'm sure you'll let them know if they leave any plastic behind Alfie
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 14th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 44,583 Thanks
    alfie 1
    I'm sure you'll let them know if they leave any plastic behind Alfie
    Originally posted by greenbee

ive already collected a bag full that had blown into the roadside.. the ponies/foals/cows will munch on allsorts !

be interesting, this one
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 20,766 Posts
    • 83,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    That's a strange business, alfie, but then some farming is strange. Look at the acres of fleece they use, for example, and the lines of pheasant-rearing huts & pens, each with its own gas bottle.

Here, we are very low-tech, without even a Dafty sheep shelter.....

I've spent the last two days clothes shopping in Exeter,and it's been a sobering experience. While I'm now kitted-out quite well up top, anything involving the waist has had to be put on hold until my size there drops 2". Our bathroom scales broke and I've been deluding myself.....

Had a result with the conservatory co, who have admitted they made some errors and have knocked £300 off the new itemised bill...
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 11,533 Posts
    • 208,130 Thanks
    greenbee
    Are you going to be returning them to their owner...?
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 15th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 10,282 Posts
    • 58,096 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Morning all

Flip these last few weeks have flown by..

Have had a bad bout of the flu. Still can't shift the dreg ends of it.

Been working on and off with job agencies, but nothing more than a week or so at a time. So what and they will have the pleasure of advertising some of my !!!! to the world lol..

Nothing much going on. Started taking advantage of the offers in the shops ready for Christmas. For pressies for our boys etc.

Might even get round to making some holly wreaths this year lol..
    Work to live= not live to work
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Oct 16, 11:22 AM
    • 11,533 Posts
    • 208,130 Thanks
    greenbee
    Sorry to hear about the flu CTC - it's horrid when it drags on.

One of my neighbours made fabulous wreaths last year from bits of willow and teazles (all out of my garden), with a sprig of holly. Much less hassle (and painful) that just holly, and very stylish. Might be worth a try if you have access to willow, as a wreath with just a small decoration in the corner would be different and quicker to make! You could then sell the holly in bunches.

I'm having a major tidy/clean. Of course the sun is out so I'm now frustrated by the fact I could be gardening
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,968Posts Today

6,109Users online

Martin's Twitter