Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,282Posts
    • 58,096Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 369
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 6th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 5,473 Thanks
    pink poppy
    You've obviously got better eyesight than me, Dave, I didn't see anyone in the background of Dafty's pic until you pointed them out This is why I have a magnifying glass ~ Mrs Magoo

What on earth are those plants in your pic?? They look like triffids!!
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 6th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 3,265 Posts
    • 6,344 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Given we now know Dave whitewashes his lawn, I admit it - I was spray-painting a black horse with undercoat prior to camouflage (or zebra?) stripes ...

Having a break, been up a ladder sorting out guttering and downpipes. Now I wish I'd bought a bungalow, and s0d Georgian elegance! I'm going to have to get a scaffold tower, as my balance is worse than it was, I do get dizzy easily, and there are an awful lot of high-up jobs to do. Oh, and I don't bounce as well as I did when I was twenty-seven!

I'm putting in a couple of new downpipes, all this Global Warming makes the old set insufficient. After coffee I shall have to make the ones on the right of the porch match the ones on the left, or I'll not be able to rest. Nobody else will ever notice if I just bung 'em together, so I could get away with it, couldn't I?

Oh, I'm forgetting 'er. She'll notice, and say it doesn't matter. Several times!

Now, does Amazon Prime do same-day delivery on parachutes?

I think they're Echium pininana, those Triffids! Mind you, don't quote me, and I'll edit that so I'm right, once Dave has told us!

Edit to add: Landed safely, but so filthy from gutter rubbish. I was so mucky, the donks wouldn't talk to me That's FILTHY!
    Last edited by DaftyDuck; 06-10-2016 at 6:48 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 20,759 Posts
    • 83,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Yes they're Echium pininana...allegedly from a white one on Tresco....although the way things are told around here, they could be a Ferrari Pininfarina from Tesco.

I grew them at the old place, once I realised winters might allow it, and the ones we had went as high as the gutters on our semi, or possibly a bit higher. Anyway, they freaked people out!

Here, I'm very uncertain where to plant them, thanks to the greater risk of high winds, but I'll work something out. Once I get my own seed, I can afford to experiment, as I'm doing with Geranium maderense, which is escaping into the hedgerows. There are worse aliens....
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 6th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 44,583 Thanks
    alfie 1

before and after !!! hes had the chop [literally] and is in a foster home waiting for his forever home....
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 8th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 5,473 Thanks
    pink poppy
    He looks like a completely different dog!! Still utterly gorgeous though ~ I really do hope he gets his forever home.
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 8th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 44,583 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all, been out of the loop this week !
    went to lir's last weekend... pony and foal are transformed.. foal gone from listless to mischievous !! was trying to play with my dolly daydream [black and white like herself] who was oblivious as spaniels are and didn't realise a chunky foal was prancing behind her !!
    had THE most yummy roast dinner , which proved that an "old dog CAN learn new tricks"... being a non veggy fan I ate allsorts of weird veg .... 2nd helpings !!

off to a local music day in a small village with a club house this afternoon/evening ... its always packed ... hilarious as people turn up, muddy wellies, old work gear... real farming area...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Oct 16, 10:51 PM
    • 20,759 Posts
    • 83,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Great wee dog alfie. Being small, and very appealing, I think he stands a good chance.

Busy here, and not just us; we've had harvesting, ploughing, de-stoning and seeding all going on in the fields around our pastoral oasis. It's coming to an end now, but for a week, it's been busier than we're used to .

So, yesterday, off we went in search of fireplace and flooring stuff at a stone yard we'd heard about, but never visited, out in the back of beyond. To be honest we weren't expecting much, but it turned out to be a veritable emporium of everything stone-related, staffed by polite chaps who, we're told, don't charge Exeter prices. They had some super displays and we were soon sold on having a hearth from them.

We are, however, still waiting on a quote for the rest, and those other fireplace guys who failed to show haven't made contact. It's all soooooo s-l-o-w!

By contrast the conservatory company were quick giving us a new price following all the changes we agreed, just not willing to itemise the extra. £1700.

No, we don't work like that, so their contract was returned with a request for a proper itemised breakdown before we'll consider signing.

I can see this running into the New Year. I know what's happened, which is that the £1k box gutter they forgot originally is being sneaked-in as a glass upgrade, but that's dishonest. We agreed months ago to pay for it, but we aren't paying if it's not listed. Its the principles innit?

Finally, we emptied Mrs Dave's Den today in preparation for it becoming a dressing/linen room. It's embarrassing to start making major alterations almost before the paint has dried.....
    • choille
    • By choille 9th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 4,591 Posts
    • 25,965 Thanks
    choille
    Lovely looking little dog Alfie - sure it will find a new home.

Went to Wick yesterday - ages since been up to the top - beautiful day so a treat for the eyes.

Lovely day here again - nice it's dry & sunny for a change.
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 9th Oct 16, 2:42 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 5,473 Thanks
    pink poppy
    Nice to see you back, choille I went to Wick a long time ago, it was a 9 hour drive from where we lived at the time. I still remember the locals laughing at the way I pronounced rhubarb
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 9th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 8,953 Thanks
    I have spoken
    Making the most of the sunny, dry weather here...been 'editing' the garden so spent the weekend moving big plants in the wrong place including cardoon and giant knapweed. Also moved fern, everlasting cornflower and grasses plus planted some 'rescue' lilies.

Sadly, moving the cardoon meant removing the flower heads, but it was looking bad from slugs and mildew.

Decided to get rid of Siberian iris so stuck all the pieces on Gumtree, should be away later!

Main fish tank is looking horrid, outbreak of algae. Have bought a UV light/filter to try and kill off the nasties.
    Last edited by I have spoken; 09-10-2016 at 7:13 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 20,759 Posts
    • 83,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Yes, another super autumnal day here too, so another bonfire and lots of moving stuff about.

We discovered 9 of our old pine doors lurking in the barn, so we dusted the mould off, took pictures, measured, and soon they'll be on the Bay.....Won't get much for them, but it's worth a punt....or maybe only a pint.

At lunchtime we had a visitor. It was the other fireplace man, who seemed to have got his weeks muddled-up! He was a nice chap and seemed to know what he was talking about, so we decided to ask him to quote.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 20,759 Posts
    • 83,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Lovely mornings.......

screenshot windows 7
    Last edited by Davesnave; 11-10-2016 at 2:29 PM.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 11th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 44,583 Thanks
    alfie 1
    oh what a beatifull picture !!

I do love sheep

went with LIR to see a lovely trotting gig on sunday... amazing ! belonged to an old boy. it was original and in VERY good nick ! needless to say LIR is now the proud owner
    pony and foal are going great guns and being spoilt rotten...mare is sporting a designer style rain coat...intentions are to go on rural jaunts with her and the weekly shop at tescos !!

ooooer... what have I done .... leading LIR astray
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 11th Oct 16, 10:25 PM
    • 3,265 Posts
    • 6,344 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Our sheepses are just too friendly (a.k.a. greedy, and expect treats) to pose like that, and just charge across like wildebeest to the waterhole.

They also have pretty good horns, which can make their gentle approach rather... Solid!

It can be spectacular when the fields are covered in low mist, and a Burnham Wood of horns comes spookily across the drifting field.

At least I found the gutters now work, as we had a fine thunderstorm downpour.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 16, 1:10 AM
    • 20,759 Posts
    • 83,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    They don't take too much notice of me at 07:40 because they know I don't give treats then, but they perk-up if I'm mowing in the afternoon, as I might then pour some tasty lawn cuttings over the fence....

We'll need a thunderstorm soon if the dry weather here continues,but not just yet, please, as I still have some seasoned wood to get under cover. I'm not intending to buy any more logs this coming winter, as we should have enough stashed-away....to say nothing of the old fence posts.

So, when the winter fuel payment comes, I'm going to buy another chainsaw.....a battery-powered one! Don't laugh, they're a reality, openly discussed and praised, even on Arb-talk.

http://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/category/Cordless_Tools/product/Stihl_MSA200CBQ_Cordless_Chainsaw_Unit_Only/

I figure that if I'm going to be struggling about in the hedge this winter, 7 or 8 feet above the road, the last thing I want is the complication of starting a petrol saw. I just need something that works instantly, and an hour at a time will be fine.

I originally thought we could tackle the hedging standing in the field with a pole saw, but the more I studied the job......
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 11,529 Posts
    • 208,073 Thanks
    greenbee
    I need to cut my hedges too Do you know anything about cordless hedge trimmers? I don't have that much hedge to cut but with a stream between me and it I don't want to use the corded one. And I don't like petrol gadgets (I have a difficult enough relationship with the mower!).
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 20,759 Posts
    • 83,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    You have more choice with cordless trimmers, but do you want long reach or normal, and will you have other tools e.g. electric drills, that might usefully share the 18v batteries?

I normally say Bosch for hedge trimmers, making sure they can take at least 20mm.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 11,529 Posts
    • 208,073 Thanks
    greenbee
    Thanks Dave. Just normal reach. I'm not planning on letting the hedge get TOO tall, but when it's a bit bigger I will borrow my brother's long-reach trimmer (preferably with him to operate it )

I've given up on cordless drills as I use them so rarely the battery dies... but then if it shared with the strimmer and hedge trimmer, that might actually help make it a more sensible option.

I've been starting to muck out my office as I really do need to move back in there for the winter (so I can keep it at a 'sitting still' temperature while the rest of the house is at normal temp). I discovered that the rickety chest of drawers I keep fabric, travel adapters and christmas lights has finally given up, so have had a bit of a sort out and need to get it into the back of the car for it's final trip to the tip...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 20,759 Posts
    • 83,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Thanks Dave. Just normal reach. I'm not planning on letting the hedge get TOO tall, but when it's a bit bigger I will borrow my brother's long-reach trimmer (preferably with him to operate it )

I've given up on cordless drills as I use them so rarely the battery dies... but then if it shared with the strimmer and hedge trimmer, that might actually help make it a more sensible option.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Well, in that case Bosch looks like a plan, with the option to buy a bare drill later.

All li-ion batteries start to die from the moment they leave the factory, whether you use them or not, but at least they don't suffer memory effect like the old ni-cads.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 11,529 Posts
    • 208,073 Thanks
    greenbee
    Yep... my laptop and phone batteries are proof of that They seem to have a useful life a month or so less that the planned lifecycle and replacement schedule
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin