The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Comments

• Well done, Muser. Great result:T

I'm going to keep on going too, but not sure whether to just add any additional savings (if any;)) to the EF or start another one.

Practically all my spending from the EF so far have been on my car:eek:. I can't keep on throwing money at it like this and am madly trying to save enough to replace it. Still want to keep a healthy EF though as who knows what emergencies await in all areas of our lives? At the moment my only savings in the world are in my EF:o
  • so_very_confused
    so_very_confused Posts: 1,081
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    carboot my thoughts are with you. Unfortunatly no more vets bills for me as last puss died. Miss him like mad but relieved at the reduction in outlay and the constant vet bills. As for the rust bucket, similar situation, the constant outlay which was increasing by the month then my garage telling me corroded underneath was the final straw.
    It's taken a supreme effort and kindly donation from an elderly relative to get where I am. At least if I get a new rust bucket hopefully I will be able to build up again to a reasonable amount as like yourself need something to fall back on.
    In the meantime keep on saving:)
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • 3rd washing machine in 10 years, rising from the ashes:eek:

Can't advise on extended warranties, sorry, never had one, but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

My WM is about 10 years old, is used several times a week (full loads) and still works and looks like it did when I bought it. Was very expensive at the time (AEG) but I'd had one before for even longer and you get what you pay for IMO.

I think that might be part of the issue :o I'd love to get a really good make one but never have enough money when one breaks - so it's usually just whichever has the best offer .... I do steer clear of the really cheap ones and try to go for ones with good review but doesn't seem to work.

The last one melted :eek: literally :eek:

(the thermostat must've gone and it just got hotter and hotter - eventually noticed steam coming from the kitchen and turned it off but the plastic had melted .... luckily i never leave them on when I'm not here!).

Hopefully this one will last until I've a decent amount saved for the next one! (although I don't like it as much as the last one - which I loved and was gutted when it melted!))

Latest car repairs and other minor 'emergencies' such as vet treatment for my cat has totalled at £214.35:eek:. Signature now amended.

Oh dear - hope puss is better ..... I'm a bit worried about the dog - she's very subdued :( she's usually a real live wire but we've had a really short walk (as she seemed a bit 'off') and yet she's still flat out ..... will have to take her tomorrow if she's the same :( (she gets the odd UTI so it could be that - sadly usually £100+ each time .....)

Confused
    so sorry about your pudd-cat xx

As to when I get to £1,000 - if ever! - I'll still keep going - it would be a fantastic amount to have but I'd love to have enough to cover all the big appliances etc
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 1 June 2015 at 6:30PM
    rising from the ashes: In case you think I'm a spendaholic (maybe once upon a time but not for years now;)) I've never bought 'top of the range' cookers/fridges/freezers, or even expensive brands. It's just a thing I have about washing machines as have known many friends and family who have had all sorts of troubles with theirs over the years (flooded kitchens, burning out, melting and all sorts). Not prepared to take any risks myself. When the current one packs in (hopefully not for years yet) I may have to buy something cheap. DMPs and expensive white goods don't mix:o

Cat is full of beans once more. A big feral tomcat comes round and fights him and he ends up with septic wounds:eek:. I can't always spot the tiny puncture wounds from teeth (and my cat has very thick fur) until something horrible develops.
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Sneaking back in after a couple of months being AWOL...I ended up spending most of my EF stupidly on a birthday for my OH he could definitely have managed without :eek: still I'm plodding away trying to build it back up again... :o it's at 20% now, and I'm determined not to squander it. Debt busting remains my priority whilst this ticks away in the background, but I would like it filled up in the next 12 months tops. Then I will try and get it up to £2k :eek: miracles do happen :rotfl:
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • rising from the ashes: In case you think I'm a spendaholic (maybe once upon a time but not for years now;)) I've never bought 'top of the range' cookers/fridges/freezers, or even expensive brands. It's just a thing I have about washing machines as have known many friends and family who have had all sorts of troubles with theirs over the years (flooded kitchens, burning out, melting and all sorts). Not prepared to take any risks myself. When the current one packs in (hopefully not for years yet) I may have to buy something cheap. DMPs and expensive white goods don't mix:o

Cat is full of beans once more. A big feral tomcat comes round and fights him and he ends up with septic wounds:eek:. I can't always spot the tiny puncture wounds from teeth (and my cat has very thick fur) until something horrible develops.

Not at all - and I do agree you often get what you pay for. Mum has a Miele (it was in the house when she moved in!) and it's fantastic (and pretty old & touch wood still going strong) and I'd love one .... but ......

Glad puss is on the mend - Archie used to get in really bad scraps with his 'arch rival' on the street. Thankfully they both seem to avoid each other more these days!

Pretty sure the dog has a UTI :(

She's very 'flat' and when I went to give her a thorough check over, she's a bit 'leaky' ..... *sigh* - just what we need!

She went through a phase of having them about every 6 months but it's well over a year since the last one so thought we'd sorted the issue ...... vets tomorrow AM (which I could make her feel a bit better tonight but not a lot I can do unfortunately) - open surgery starts at 9.

Bit of a nightmare for work - vet is 20 miles from house (going past work on the way!) so I'll need to go, then come all the way back home (to drop her off again) and then back-track to work again! *sigh* - and be really late as well :(
  • Muser1
    Muser1 Posts: 795 Forumite
    I've got a Miele:o it's really amazing! I got a 10 year warranty with it. Expensive but fingers crossed it will last the test of time.
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 87253 April 2017
    Emergency fund 700.00
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Been busy on here today.
    Cars and pets are a constant drain on the finances. Luckily, I have no animals of my own, so only have a car to worry about.

That reminds me that I need to book the car in for it's service and phone HMRC about my WTC as I need to get a form for free prescriptions.

Tomorrow is payday, so will see my account rise by a few more quid.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Well - trip to the vets this morning confirmed my suspicions were correct and she has a UTI :(

Caught early so hopefully a short course of anti-biotics will shift it

£49 to come out the pets EF ..... still, last UTI at my old vets (approx 18 months ago) was £88 so new vets still proving good value :money:

It's gone on the c/card so won't need to pay it until the beginning of July so that's OK! (won't take it off the balance until I pay it)

Patman - thanks for the reminder as my car's due a service next month and I must book it in .... they will collect from my work & bring it back (which is pretty fab as it's a good 15 miles away from the garage!) but slots available are limited as there's only 1 guy who does the collection/drop offs

Service is free so that's an added bonus :T tax is due at the end of this month though :(:(
  • Hope78
    Hope78 Posts: 755 Forumite
    Thanks to council for refunding me my over paid Council Tax I've added £270 to my EF today.
    LBM 03/07 £44k:eek: DFD 31/12/17 :A 12/17 £2545.50
    Credit Card £2500.00 & Next £45.00
    Savings = £81.21 & Help To Buy ISA = £4700.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family