Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Verified by Visa problems - anyone else? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Verified by Visa problems - anyone else?
Views: 54,249
# 1
papworth
Old 18-07-2007, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Verified by Visa problems - anyone else?

Well this has never worked for me insisting that my date of birth is wrong. I phoned my bank on 5/7/07 and was told my DOB was wrong on a saver account and that this would be corrected. However the DOB was correct on my current account to which the visa debit card is linked. Today, they have removed the 'verify later' button so I cannot shop online at all without verifying the card and it refuses to verify the card stating my DOB is incorrect!!! 45 minutes on the phone to the bank and they have told me it is a software error which was corrected this morning - NOT!! If they had a known software error then why remove the 'verify later' button?? Now I am waiting for them to come back to me and I can't finish my Tesco shop GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
jonesMUFCforever
Old 18-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

This is why it is a good idea to have a back up card - just in case.
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
# 3
rjesson
Old 27-07-2007, 11:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Verify by Visa Web Page written by Idiots

I have been forced to register for "Verify by Visa" by Ocardo with my Nationwide Visa debit card.
They insist on the password having upper case, lower case and numbers in it.
Then when I wondered what will happen when I forget such a complicated password or get it mixed up with one of the seven other cards that I have. So I clicked on the "Help button" on the Verify page, and what happens? nothing!, the link is not complete or they have not bothered to write any help!!!

One would think that their web designer would have tested his work before posting such an important web page. I first thought that it was a scam page to be so poorly written, but unfortunately not, it is just another example of Visas contempt for their customers.
# 4
James
Old 16-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Tried making a payment with a new CC today using my Nationwide Debit Card.

I too was forced to register with Verified by Visa (VbV). I didn't write the password down, and have never been asked for VbV until today.

When I got to my CC's payment page I filled everything in then it took me to VbV, I couldn't. I cancelled the transaction (or thought I did) as I hadn't entered the VbV password and contacted Nationwide.

Nationwide wouldn't let me opt of VbV although I told them I couldn't remember passwords and told them my alternative was to call my CC company and make a telephone payment. This being far less secure than the CC's secure page. Nationwide weren't interested.

I called my CC and to my amazement they confirmed a payment had been taken.

Seems VbV doesn't cater for those who can't remember passwords and payments are allowed to be taken on an https// without completing the VbV portion of the transaction.

Anybody out there managed to opt out of VbV
# 5
Biggles
Old 16-11-2007, 3:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The Nationwide VbV page is a pile of poo. It's a mess from beginning to end and we're supposed to believe it's in the name of security. If the secure parts are written as badly as the visible parts of the site, it's going to go pearshaped.

It allowed me to register my NW credit card. Then, when I finally found the correct way (it's not very user-friendly either!) to register an extra card, it insisted I'd entered the wrong details for my NW debit card.

Customer service were their usual helpless selves, so at the moment my account is locked through putting the incorrect details in too often (though they were all correct) at the request of CS.

I've given up for the moment, it's just too much like hard work....
# 6
alibongo42
Old 16-11-2007, 4:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In my (limited) experience, it doesn't matter if you remember your password. Every time you use it, you have the option to click "Forgotten Password" and reset it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alibongo42 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
parcy
Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I probably have twenty passwords at work and at least as many on websites I use from home. I can remember a password, unfortunately Nationwide Verified by Visa cannot. If you phone up Nationwide, they start telling you all sorts of things like "we have a lot of new staff on, so what you were told before was wrong", "we approved it, it was the vendor who refused it", "we refused it because we regard that as a risky site" (I was trying to buy a lead for an ipod cost 4.79), if I ever decide to become a master criminal, trust me I will be aiming a little higher! THE PROBLEM WITH VERIFIED BY VISA FROM NATIONWIDE IS THAT IT DOES NOT WORK. Maybe they should spend a little less on fancy advertising and a little more on good programmers.

My only suggestion is change bank.
# 8
jambosans
Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcy View Post
I probably have twenty passwords at work and at least as many on websites I use from home. I can remember a password, unfortunately Nationwide Verified by Visa cannot. If you phone up Nationwide, they start telling you all sorts of things like "we have a lot of new staff on, so what you were told before was wrong", "we approved it, it was the vendor who refused it", "we refused it because we regard that as a risky site" (I was trying to buy a lead for an ipod cost 4.79), if I ever decide to become a master criminal, trust me I will be aiming a little higher! THE PROBLEM WITH VERIFIED BY VISA FROM NATIONWIDE IS THAT IT DOES NOT WORK. Maybe they should spend a little less on fancy advertising and a little more on good programmers.

My only suggestion is change bank.
My understanding was that Verified by Visa is a service provided through the Visa Network, so you can't solely place the blame it on Nationwide.

BTW this thread is three years old.
Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
The Following User Says Thank You to jambosans For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
someone
Old 02-02-2010, 12:09 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I found that after forgetting my first password, I couldn't remember every single on I set it to. I had to take the issue very high up with nationwide to be able to get the account reset to use the first password (which I can now remember).

As I work in computer security the Verified by Visa and SecureCode systems are so bad, it's crazy it got the go ahead. From my understanding it only prevents a cross over fraud in a limited situation (if you card gets skimmed and they take down the CSV2 number), however if they have access your name and DOB they can use your account.

Theres a recent paper into the matter, it's not the most in death article, explains superficially how it works and why its bad.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Paper...securecode.pdf

There are at least 3 or 4 thinks that 'If I was a bad guy, I would do it this way' off the top of my head, but I don't want to post them in public due to who might use them. To be honest, to research breaking VbV on the internet is overkill. From what the user is show you can work it out. :s

[rant over]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to someone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
jambosans
Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
Theres a recent paper into the matter, it's not the most in death article, explains superficially how it works and why its bad.

www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/fc10vbvsecurecode.pdf
Thanks for the PDF link, was an interesting read.
Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
# 11
Sue281
Old 15-02-2010, 8:59 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down Verified by Visa - not!

My card has been rejected by VbyV before even logging in. My bank has no knowledge of me trying to make a transaction. I have rung the number given on the rejection notice, only to be told that the number is no longer in use. Is this company a scam???
# 12
Asa
Old 16-06-2010, 10:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

ive had many problems with the VbV while trying to purchase from plant sites for my mum.
we tried it on different sites and different cards and they still decline!
i sign up to the VbV thingy and set up a password and they password doesnt work and you just cant purchase anything! its crap! i even tried with my sisters bank account and yet have the same problem.

Does anyone know the fix for this?
My only credit: Contract phone for 25 p/m they gave me (no joke!) 3x 8gb micro sd's, 1x extra battery, 1x spare charger, SIXTY QUID CASH!, TWENTY FIVE POUND CHEQUE!, 2x 2gb micro sd's, SE Satio, 300mins, 3000txts, unlimited internet! from P4U too!
# 13
Evilm
Old 16-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When I have to use sites like that I put the information into the first page and on the next page it gives you a cancel option. Therefore I have got out of using it and ever setting a password. the transactions still go through and it doesn't seem to cause me a problem.
# 14
martinman3
Old 16-06-2010, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilm View Post
When I have to use sites like that I put the information into the first page and on the next page it gives you a cancel option. Therefore I have got out of using it and ever setting a password. the transactions still go through and it doesn't seem to cause me a problem.
Yes, that used to work for me when VbV was optional for purchasing from most websites but now it seems to be compulsory and clicking cancel now seems to abort the transaction.
# 15
Evilm
Old 17-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinman3 View Post
Yes, that used to work for me when VbV was optional for purchasing from most websites but now it seems to be compulsory and clicking cancel now seems to abort the transaction.
I managed to do it just last week without problem. i guess we are just using different websites!
# 16
martinman3
Old 17-06-2010, 5:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilm View Post
I managed to do it just last week without problem. i guess we are just using different websites!
I am guessing then that it is probably based on the levels of fraud they have seen on certain types of transactions and I have just been unlucky. I would be surprised though if you could purchase a new TV online now without using VbV (or Mastercard Securecode).
# 17
serena90
Old 21-06-2010, 12:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I do wonder whether it's worth the bother too...

I was directed to VbV while making a payment this evening (I'm with First Direct). I entered my password and the thing froze. As it's not a good idea to press any buttons while a transaction is in process, I waited...then I waited, and I did a bit more waiting. The cursor was jammed and I couldn't get off the page. I didn't get any time-out messages. The 'Page Loading' bar was only about a third full. In the end, I had no choice but to switch the machine off and re-boot. Once I was back on-line, I was really surprised to find an e-mail from the retailer I was making the payment to, confirming my order and payment! I checked my available balance with FD and it has, indeed, been taken into account.
# 18
hippey
Old 21-06-2010, 7:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

VbV doesn't really protect cardholders, it's really designed to assist merchants therefore it really was never written with consumers in mind.

I took part in the user testing of it many years ago when I worked at barclays, it really never changed that much after then.
These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
The Following User Says Thank You to hippey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
hidunc
Old 08-07-2010, 2:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Verified by Visa password

I use a debit card to pay my credit card bill, and VBV is a pain. Every time I use it it rejects my password, so I have to reset it answering a simple question. Thing is, the passwords are getting further from my memorable pattern. When I rang the helpline I was told if I only use it once a month the password dies. They said they could set me a permanent one. [It wasn't though]. This month the problem was the expiry date: Apparently it needed the expiry date on the new card that's in the mail to me. I was told there's no such thing as a password dying through lack of use, and that they couldn't set me a permanent one anyway. I'd have to do that. By then the Credit card site had timed out. Last time I phoned this had happened and I think it had accepted m payment.
All this is too much hassle, for something which is blatantly insecure, which I cannot opt out of, and from an organisation whom I DON'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO CONTACT TO COMPLAIN! [sorry about the shouting, but I've wasted too much time.
Can anything be done? Is there an organisation to complain to? Banking ombudsman or someone?
# 20
bobblebob
Old 08-07-2010, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Verified by Visa is a waste of time, as its an optional service. So how does it improve security? Any dodgy site will simply not use them