Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Arina
    Halifax mortgage applications thread!
    • 31st Aug 14, 5:15 AM
    Halifax mortgage applications thread! 31st Aug 14 at 5:15 AM
    Hey guys!

Anyone else in the process for applying for a mortgage with the halifax! Thought we could share our success and horror stories here and just generally guide and advise each other through the process!

Husband and I are FTBuyers and have only very recently put in an application via a broker to the halifax for our dream home! House price 140,000 putting down 28,000 deposit so that's 80% LTV.

Here's our timeline to date:

Received DIP with halifax: 16th August 2014
    2 searches showing up on Experian (RBS - MORTGAGE QUOTATION & HALIFAX - ID GENERIC CHECK): 16th August 2014
    Offer accepted on property: 18th August 2014
    Full application submitted: 26th August 2014
    Valuation funds taken from account: 28th August 2014
    2 searches showing up on Experian (RBS - MORTGAGE QUOTATION): 29th August 2014

Would love to hear from anyone in the same boat x
    Last edited by Arina; 31-08-2014 at 5:18 AM.
Page 10
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 18th Dec 15, 8:57 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Survey and valuation are happening on Monday.

Hopefully this is a good sign, why would they bother sending a surveyor out if they were going to say no
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance Feb 2016 231,294
    Savings 11,500

Save 12k in 2016 Challenge - Member #36
    • dagnyjuel
    • By dagnyjuel 18th Dec 15, 12:29 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dagnyjuel
    Do they make any checks before the valuation? OR do they just send valuator to each property? I'm still waiting for news after my valuation was done on Monday - and I am totally freaking out now
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 28th Jun 16, 3:28 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    glider3560
    Does anyone know if it is possible to do the full application over the phone, or is a branch visit necessary?

• Alexsas
    • By Alexsas 28th Jun 16, 8:46 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Alexsas
    yes, phone no problem, have just had mortgage approved wth them - although they lead you to believe that you must go to branch after they issued AIP online.
    • MsMouse85
    • By MsMouse85 31st Jul 16, 2:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MsMouse85
    Hey my mortgage application is with the underwriter. My credit check has been 'agreed' which is positive. This happened Friday 29th July.
    I don't require a valuation as I am in Scotland and the home report is still valid.
    How quickly could I hear about the full final offer? If they've done the credit check what else will they be doing now? Any underwriters on this thread?

Cheers!
    • steve4mandy
    • By steve4mandy 2nd Aug 16, 2:25 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    steve4mandy
    My son & his girlfriend, FTB, application submitted 9th July via broker, survey done 15th July, offer received 19th July, all done in the blink of an eye! They do have a 34K deposit though, and came in at 83% LTV.

Now waiting on the sloooow wheels of conveyancing to turn?
    • MrsO84
    • By MrsO84 8th Aug 16, 4:09 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MrsO84
    MsMouse85, how long did it take for you to hear back?
    • wen-tom
    • By wen-tom 8th Aug 16, 4:19 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    wen-tom
    we applied through our broker saturday 30th july.
    they haven't booked the valuation yet to my knowledge.

I know they wouldn't have picked anything up until the following monday but they seem to work much quicker for other people!
    come on Halifax!
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 12th Sep 16, 3:42 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    ap1985
    Thought I'd share my experience with the Halifax, particularly for those who have a CCJ.

I came through a messy divorce with a CCJ (1200 to a solicitor - long story) and around 25k in debt (a lot but I am quite a high earner). I only settled the CCJ in March this year and got it marked on my credit file as satisfied. I've got a decent credit file otherwise apart from one or two late payments (non mortgage) over the last couple of years. At the end of April, I applied for a Halifax mortgage through a broker and was accepted in principle immediately. I kept waiting for it to fall through but it didn't and it has now been completed.

I don't know whether the Halifax has loosened it's lending criteria but anyone with a CCJ but an otherwise reasonably healthy credit record shouldn't give up hope. I wonder if the fact that the CCJ wasn't consumer credit related was a factor but then I doubt the computer would have known that at AIP.
    Originally posted by macms67

This makes me feel slightly better. I am going through the mortgage process through Halifax at the moment and have a CCJ on my file..I am so worried I am going to get declined, but hopefully not touch wood!
    • dennail
    • By dennail 22nd Sep 16, 3:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dennail
    FTB here, buying a house with gifted equity, 90% LTV

My mortgage was approved in principal and was awaiting an employer's reference to finalise and get the formal mortgage offer. I got the employers reference, which confirmed everything in my application. Now the Halifax have declined my application as I am a director of a company. I hold no shares in the company, have given no personal guarantees and am classed as an employee of the company.

I'm not sure why my job title has negatively affected my application?

Anyway, my broker is appealing the case. What are my chances and how long will it take?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,719Posts Today

5,952Users online

Martin's Twitter