Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 24th Aug 14, 10:59 PM
    • 4,370Posts
    • 4,778Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Hermes parcel weight on threshold border - what to do?
    • 24th Aug 14, 10:59 PM
    Hermes parcel weight on threshold border - what to do? 24th Aug 14 at 10:59 PM
    So I have a parcel that seems to be borderline less than 1kg.
    On one scale it's a couple of grams over, and on another a couple under.
    I was wondering if people knew how strict Hermes are - has anyone been charged for going overweight?
    I realise the sensible option would be to pay for the higher weight, but this is MSE ( )
    Just interested if anyone has any insider info, or if anyone has risked the cheaper option & got away with it.
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 25th Aug 14, 12:41 AM
    • 9,598 Posts
    • 10,757 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 25th Aug 14, 12:41 AM
    • 25th Aug 14, 12:41 AM
    Is there any possibility of opening the package and taking a small bit of packing material out?
    Even as little as 10 grams would probably be enough to ensure that it stays in the lower weight band.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 25th Aug 14, 1:18 AM
    • 5,245 Posts
    • 4,426 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 25th Aug 14, 1:18 AM
    • 25th Aug 14, 1:18 AM
    does any carrier other than the PO ever check weights? For heavier stuff I use bathroom scales which are so inaccurate that I do 'best of 3' weighings, some of mine must be a bit over every now and then but I've never been pulled up for it.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 25th Aug 14, 6:59 AM
    • 11,205 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 25th Aug 14, 6:59 AM
    • 25th Aug 14, 6:59 AM
    So I have a parcel that seems to be borderline less than 1kg.
    On one scale it's a couple of grams over, and on another a couple under.
    I was wondering if people knew how strict Hermes are - has anyone been charged for going overweight?
    I realise the sensible option would be to pay for the higher weight, but this is MSE ( )
    Just interested if anyone has any insider info, or if anyone has risked the cheaper option & got away with it.
    Originally posted by RainbowDrops
    For the sake of the small difference in price, pay for the heavier costing. If they weigh it, you get a huge admin charge and they return the parcel if you haven't paid the correct price.
    • kalsha
    • By kalsha 25th Aug 14, 8:06 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    kalsha
    • 25th Aug 14, 8:06 AM
    • 25th Aug 14, 8:06 AM
    Depending on what sort of box it is, try cutting it down slightly. Even cutting part of the flap will reduce it by 10g or so. I once had to do exactly that after having been to the post office and their scale showed that I was 10g over - it meant a large jump in postage costs to the next band. Also take out some stuffing or change it. I usually use shredded paper. Sometimes I substitute it by those polysterene pea nuts when the weight is on the borderline.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 25th Aug 14, 8:32 AM
    • 59,478 Posts
    • 42,180 Thanks
    soolin
    • 25th Aug 14, 8:32 AM
    • 25th Aug 14, 8:32 AM
    I have digital scales that's weigh up to (I think) 10kg , but I have paid for the heavier weight on one item where it went just over 1kg by about10 g despite removing bits and bobs of packaging. In the end I decided as it was MyHermes I'd pay the extra and use the weight to add another box to really make my packaging bomb proof.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 25th Aug 14, 9:04 AM
    • 4,370 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    • 25th Aug 14, 9:04 AM
    • 25th Aug 14, 9:04 AM
    Thanks for the tips all.
    I tried reducing the packaging and got to the point where I was a couple of grams each way.
    I think I already knew that the sensible way to go is to pay for the heavier band.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 25th Aug 14, 9:41 AM
    • 8,478 Posts
    • 4,936 Thanks
    RFW
    • 25th Aug 14, 9:41 AM
    • 25th Aug 14, 9:41 AM
    does any carrier other than the PO ever check weights?
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Yes. I think it depends on how you are sending. I used to occasionally get pulled up by Parcelforce, had one driver who collected from me who didn't like picking boxes up (no, really!) and would complain at heavier ones and have them checked at the depot.
    If you're sending one or two and it's only a few hundred grams over then the chances are it will cost the courier more in sending it back than sending it on to its destination. Most couriers will be different and vary at depots, the majority will only check the blatantly oversize ones.
    • harveybobbles
    • By harveybobbles 25th Aug 14, 10:35 AM
    • 8,748 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    harveybobbles
    • 25th Aug 14, 10:35 AM
    • 25th Aug 14, 10:35 AM
    My local Post Office (at the back of the Spar) leave the scales on when the PO is closed. So I just use their scales if I'm ever in doubt.

Did get a funny look from shop staff when I took a Range Rover wheel in once..
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 25th Aug 14, 12:56 PM
    • 11,205 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    theonlywayisup

Did get a funny look from shop staff when I took a Range Rover wheel in once..
    Originally posted by harveybobbles
    Was the Range Rover still attached to it?
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 25th Aug 14, 3:35 PM
    • 4,370 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Well, the dilema has resolved itself.
    Was about to print off postage when I realised the delivery address was 5 mins down the road from my office.
    I'd contacted the buyer asking if she'd be happy for me to deliver it in person for a cash discount, and she's happy with that
    • snowdogg
    • By snowdogg 28th Apr 16, 5:34 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    snowdogg
    TBH I wouldn't have offered a discount for hand delivery. Assuming it was ebay they have paid for the item to be delivered to them in a certain time frame. How it gets there is no concern of theirs, they are actually getting a better service, I would much rather have a hand delivery at a mutually convenient time than have to trek to the collection office when it arrives and I am out.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 28th Apr 16, 5:38 PM
    • 11,205 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    tbh i wouldn't have offered a discount for hand delivery. Assuming it was ebay they have paid for the item to be delivered to them in a certain time frame. How it gets there is no concern of theirs, they are actually getting a better service, i would much rather have a hand delivery at a mutually convenient time than have to trek to the collection office when it arrives and i am out.
    Originally posted by snowdogg
    old thread alert.
    • wydene68
    • By wydene68 4th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wydene68
    I recently sent a parcel (paid for the weight of10 kilos) containing a panasonic breadmaker sd 2501 (wieghs 7 kilos plus cardboard and polystyrene packaging total weight about 8.5 Kilos)

here is a transit from the Hermes chat line:-

Hi, my name is (name removed). How may I help you?
    Martin : Hello
    Martin : It's about a invoice for £5
    (name removed): Please give me a minute or two while I check the details.
    Martin : Ok
    (name removed): Thank you for your patience.
    Martin: No problem
    (name removed): I have checked the details and can see the parcel is overweight. The weight on the label is 10 Kgs and the actual weight of this parcel is 11 Kgs and 200 grams. !!!
    Martin: This is rather strange, I sent other identical parcels in the past and had not had this issue with them!!
    (name removed): I request you to pay for the invoice as it will show in your account as unpaid.
    Martin : OK, I will do this, but I won't be able to use your sevice in future as this issue could well be repeated.
    (name removed): Martin, we appreciate your business and will not like to lose you as a customer. In case, if you wish to dispute this, I need to forward the details to our investigation team.
    Martin: As I have not had a reason why other parcels which had the identical item sent did not create this overpayment issue. I won't bother to appeal.
    (name removed): I am sorry about this incident, Martin. Is there anything else, I may assist you with?
    Martin : No, It would be no point if I did!
    (name removed): Thank you for contacting us at myHermes. Have a good day.
    (name removed) has disconnected.

There is no way that the packaging could weigh over 4 Kilos!!
    Last edited by wydene68; 04-10-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 4th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    I recently sent a parcel (paid for the weight of10 kilos) containing a panasonic breadmaker sd 2501 (wieghs 7 kilos plus cardboard and polystyrene packaging total weight about 8.5 Kilos)
    Originally posted by wydene68
    Maybe it still had a loaf of bread in it?

I recently sent a large parcel through MyHermes, on the borderline of 10kg. I managed to shave off enough extra cardboard from flaps etc until it read as being a bit less than 9950g and hoped for the best. It worked (at least, I wasn't charged anything extra) - I doubt they would try anything for a few grams simply because if anyone disputed it then they would struggle to prove that their scales were that accurate at the time of the weighing (never mind had been read correctly).
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 17,336 Posts
    • 11,519 Thanks
    molerat
    They will have used volumetric weight. I have measured a Panasonic breadmaker box and put it through their volumetric calculator and it comes out at 10.84 Kg so the extra bit of packaging would have bumped it up.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • ferret
    • By ferret 21st Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    ferret
    I've been surcharged
    just today got hit with a Hermes Surcharge

Package on my scale was 1.00kg exactly, so i paid the 1kg price

They weighed it as 1.02kg (20g over)

I had to pay the difference between 1kg and 2kg (£1.09) and then a £3 "administration charge" - so it cost me £4.09 in total.

First time I have ever been surcharged
    • Ego_Shredder
    • By Ego_Shredder 16th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ego_Shredder
    Heads Up
    Wow, thanks for the heads up as I was about to send a parcel which was only 50g over 5Kg, and my scales are highly accurate up to 15Kg, e.g. usually bang on to the nearest gram with Post Office scales. The myHermes volumetric weight calculator says it is a medium parcel at 192 volumetric weight; the maxiumum allowed is 245. I suppose as the service becomes ever more competitive on price, the rules and restrictions will tighten up more.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 16th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 11,205 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Wow, thanks for the heads up as I was about to send a parcel which was only 50g over 5Kg, and my scales are highly accurate up to 15Kg, e.g. usually bang on to the nearest gram with Post Office scales. The myHermes volumetric weight calculator says it is a medium parcel at 192 volumetric weight; the maxiumum allowed is 245. I suppose as the service becomes ever more competitive on price, the rules and restrictions will tighten up more.
    Originally posted by Ego_Shredder
    If your parcel was 50g over 5kg, surely you were sending it on the 5-10kg bracket?

They have been sending invoices for underpayment for years. . The service has always been competitive on price, more so since Shutl (eBay) became part of the game and until tomorrow the price for up to 2kg is £2.
    • Ego_Shredder
    • By Ego_Shredder 19th Sep 17, 2:39 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ego_Shredder
    If your parcel was 50g over 5kg, surely you were sending it on the 5-10kg bracket?

They have been sending invoices for underpayment for years. . The service has always been competitive on price, more so since Shutl (eBay) became part of the game and until tomorrow the price for up to 2kg is £2.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Yes I did send it with the correct 5-10Kg £7.99 option despite the meagre 50g over-shoot.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,575Posts Today

9,799Users online

Martin's Twitter