Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jewls
    • By jewls 19th Aug 14, 12:04 PM
    • 165Posts
    • 38Thanks
    jewls
    scam????
    • 19th Aug 14, 12:04 PM
    scam???? 19th Aug 14 at 12:04 PM
    hi

not sure if this site deals with this, but I have just put my van on autotrader on sun, early hours of monday morning I got an email of someone wanting to buy with out seeing, but needed more pictures, so duly did it, happy with them, with a lot of emails back and forth, he has transferred by paypal shipping fees and money for van into my bank, BUT paypall wont release the money until I pay the western union transfer fee, anyone else heard of this.

I know its a scam, but maybe a warning to others

just going to email him again to tell him to stop wasting my time.
Page 3
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 1st Aug 16, 10:31 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    Richard53
    One thing about Paypal: if you go to check your balance of to see if the transaction is genuine, always enter the Paypal URL in your address bar and go from there. That way you are sure you are going to the real site. Never follow a link in an email, as these can lead to a spoof site which is very convincing indeed - it almost caught me out recently.

I know that may be stating the obvious, but people are still being suckered by these artists.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • Imnotjohn
    • By Imnotjohn 17th Aug 16, 11:04 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Imnotjohn
    Ok I have just had an a person enquire about my van gregcampbell24199@gmail.com

Now I know he's a scammer I think I'm going to have some fun... let's see what he thinks about buying it from a Nigerian uncle who's just died leaving me a large estate... watch this space!

Thanks to this forum for alerting me to him the's replies help us keep the scammers at bay
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Aug 16, 1:48 PM
    • 25,294 Posts
    • 10,038 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Find pictures of the A - Team van or another movie related vehicle and tell them you have recently modified it.

If you send pictures there is a risk that your pictures will be used to create a fake advert elsewhere.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 17th Aug 16, 3:37 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    rhysadams
    Its a definate scam, the email will be faked and won't be from Paypal at all.
    • Imnotjohn
    • By Imnotjohn 18th Aug 16, 10:08 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Imnotjohn
    Brill stuff Greg,

What a nice easy transaction. I cant however remove the advert as I have listed it on the prime, as soon as I receive the transfer of funds though I will ring them up and get it removed manually.

What a coincidence I also have just left hospital after having heart surgery, I don't actually live in the UK most of the time so it was lucky that when I was struck by lightening during last weeks storms I was returning for business over here.

What details do you need to get things rolling?

Hope you're feeling better soon, keep your chin up.

Garry

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 13:26:29 +0100
    Subject: Re: Gumtree van
    To: @outlook.com

Great! please consider it sold and i want you to remove the advert as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it. Unfortunately i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound,
    I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 10:50 AM, @outlook.com> wrote:
    Hi
    Yes the van is still for sale. Where abouts are you?
    Regards
    Garry
    Get Outlook for Android
    • Imnotjohn
    • By Imnotjohn 18th Aug 16, 10:10 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Imnotjohn
    Hi Greg,

My location for the pick up is Capesthorne Hall, Congleton Rd, Siddington, Macclesfield SK11 9JY I never put my real address on the internet in case of scammers (I'm sure you understand). Just ask for me at the gate and I'll come down and let you in. We live in the manor house itself so one of our servants or grounds staff will come and get me.

Glad to see there are still some honest people left in this world, the van is lovely and drives like an F1 car on corners. I thought Giles was going to kill me in it last night when he took some of the stags out to pasture, he really does know how far to push it when we go round good bends

oh my paypal is paypal@outlook.com

Garry

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:01:43 +0100

OK,Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now.
    Also,you can send me your PayPal email and registered name with your actual price so that i can send the money right away and choose a good time for the pick up after payment has been received
    • Imnotjohn
    • By Imnotjohn 18th Aug 16, 10:14 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Imnotjohn
    Hi Greg,

to be honest I have been drinking quite heavily and it was all I could to get back in the van with half the screen covered. I think I may have dinked it again, but nothing like the groundsman. I shall be having words with him again in the monring once I sober up.

What details on Paypal, I sent it all off havent you got it? The funds dont seem to be in my account

Erm where does you Uncle live any anyway? The one who the van is for. I may be able to deliver it, I feel in the mood for a drive

Garry
    xxx

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 19:29:01 +0100

PayPal said they have sent you the confimation on what you need to do.

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016, Garry Roberts <@outlook.com> wrote:
    Good news Greg!

Just been down to Tesco and the money should be there waiting for you.

Let me know if you still want to go ahead. I took a punt on it as I think we are becoming firm friends

Garry
    x

To: gregcampbell24199@gmail.com
    Subject: RE: Gumtree van
    Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 15:53:08 +0100

Do you still want the van then? Its a lot more than I first thought.

I can repay you some of the money if you like? Say 3750 - knock a 1000 quid off it?

The post office shuts in 8 minutes... I'm on my way now

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 15:47:54 +0100

OK keep me posted.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Garry Roberts <@outlook.com> wrote:
    Hi Greg,

sorry to be a pain but the groundsman has just caught the front wing of the van when he pulled into the driveway. It isn't much but as you have been so straight with me I dont want it to arrive at yours and for you to be disappointed.

Oh and does the delivery man know the address for yourself? I'm off in a minute I think I may just about catch the post office here and be able to send it tonight.

Thanks

Garry

To: gregcampbell24199@gmail.com
    Subject: RE: Gumtree van
    Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:48:09 +0100

Hi Greg,

Ok understood. I was left it in a will from my great uncle Bulgaria. He was a lovely man, if not a bit overly hairy. Used to wander all over the place. He can remember the days when he wasnt behind the times,With his map of the world.Pick up the papers and take them to Tobermory!

Right then its time for my Gin and a nap, cant stay on this thing all day.

Lovely to do business with you, hope the heart sees out the night :-)

Garry
    x

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:44:02 +0100

No thanks for that i don't want that and kindly keep me updated when the moneygram transfer is completed.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Garry Roberts <@outlook.com> wrote:
    Hi Greg,

I have received the funds and have an email to prove it thank you very much. I'll organise the moneygram not an issue at all. It'll probably be tomorrow morning before I can get it across mind.

I know its an ask but I have an A380 Airbis for sale as well. Would you be interested? Its not parked at home because, well to be honest it just doesn't fit on the driveway properly and its a devil to get it forwards and back. Would you be interested? I can imagine the courier costs would be pretty high for it due to the size.

Anyway not to worry if you don't want it I just thought I'd ask. Its £13,500

Thanks

Your friend as always

Garry
    • KJStabb
    • By KJStabb 31st Aug 16, 6:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KJStabb
    Another email from Greg
    Thank you all for posting the alerts about gregcampbell24199@gmail.com. Exactly the same email to us to buy a van on Gumtree. Somehow don't think he or his courier agent will be turning up with the cash!!
    • Carla19781978
    • By Carla19781978 19th Sep 16, 1:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Carla19781978
    lmao
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 19th Sep 16, 2:24 PM
    • 9,289 Posts
    • 10,444 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    My location for the pick up is Capesthorne Hall, Congleton Rd, Siddington, Macclesfield SK11 9JY I never put my real address on the internet in case of scammers (I'm sure you understand).
    Originally posted by Imnotjohn
    I doubt if the owners of Capesthorne hall will be thanking you if their address gets added to loads of junk mailing lists once the scammers realise what you have done.
    • Imall
    • By Imall 10th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Imall
    He's just tried too with my treadmill for sale on Gumtree. Asked for cash and I surprise he's not replied
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 10th Jul 17, 8:21 PM
    • 3,987 Posts
    • 3,429 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    The crap English coupled with a nice English-sounding 'Steve' should tell you everything you need to know.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll

Wot? That ejucayshun under the Tory's is really really suffering?
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 10th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Robisere
    Forward his email to
    spoof@paypal.co.uk
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 12:55 AM
    • 25,294 Posts
    • 10,038 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Or better still stick a load of adverts on any crappy site that are riddled with scammers.

Bulk box of iphones. Need to sell really quickly before apple realise they have sent them to me.. Bargain speed of sale is more important than price.. Let the scammers try and scam the scammer or at least annoy the hell out of each other.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,004Posts Today

9,500Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin