scam????

Options

Comments

• Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    As long as you only gave them account name/number and sort code I don't see the problem.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Needs referring to the 419 Eater crew, they'll have lots of fun with Steve.

^^ This - I'd highly recommend this site too, there's tonnes of incredible and very entertaining/funny 'baits' to read! :)

Also consider posting the info you have on him to scamwarners (email address, phone number etc) - http://www.scamwarners.com/

This helps alert any possible future victims
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    If you only gave the scammer the details that would be on a cheque, then you should be OK. Cheques have been used safely for many decades.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    If you only gave the scammer the details that would be on a cheque, then you should be OK.

Not quite, as a well known personality found out:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

Of course, eventually it would all be refunded, but it could cause problems in the meantime.

Although a scammer is very unlikely to be able to use bank details alone to set up a DD which he could benefit from, its worth bearing it in mind.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    thenudeone wrote: »
    Not quite, as a well known personality found out:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

Of course, eventually it would all be refunded, but it could cause problems in the meantime.

Although a scammer is very unlikely to be able to use bank details alone to set up a DD which he could benefit from, its worth bearing it in mind.

So are cheques not safe, then?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheques provide your name, account number, sort code and signature.
    Far more useful to a fraudster than just an acc no. and sort code, especially if you helpfully add your address on the back as well.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MS114
    MS114 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    listing these here in the hope people google them before falling for their scam.

new emails and phone numbers used in attempted car sale and purchase scams from both ebay and autotrader:

danielcrawley81@gmail.com
    gregcampbell24199@gmail.com
  • bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    Don't ever accept Paypal for a large item like a car because even if the money is genuinely in your account now, the buyer can cliam it back later by saying he never received the goods, or they weren't as described.

Tell him you will only take cash and be very careful about refunding the amount allegedly in Paypal; you might refund him and then he somehow cancels the original transfer. Ask paypal about it too before you do anything.

As you suspected a scam, it's a pity it has gone this far but at least you haven't lost any money...yet!

No.Paypal protection does not apply to vehicles.

Although indeed never accept paypal for a big payment.
  • dasherjuno
    Options
    stevemartin49@googlemail is still at it... going through adtrader, asking for more photos of vehicle, arranging to pay through paypal.... thanks for posting as it helps others avoid these scammers
  • dasherjuno
    Options
    sorry that was autotrader not adtrader
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills