Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • olly300
    • By olly300 17th Jul 07, 11:10 AM
    • 14,318 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    • 17th Jul 07, 11:10 AM
    • 17th Jul 07, 11:10 AM
    Underoffer - the status of a property for sale when a seller has accepted an offer from a purchaser but prior to exchange of contracts.

Sold STC - same thing.

It is suppose to mean when the sale has progressed a bit further but it doesn't as most EAs just change the boards from "For Sale" to "Sold". While others change the boards from "For Sale" to "Under Offer" to "Sold"
  • going2die_rich
    • 17th Jul 07, 11:18 AM
    • 17th Jul 07, 11:18 AM
    I thought while it was "Under Offer" other offers could be made since it was still on the market, where as the "Sold STC" was that the seller had agreed an offer so it was technically off the market, but subject to terms and conditions so if it fell through it could be back on.
    • Shambler
    • By Shambler 17th Jul 07, 11:23 AM
    • 740 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Shambler
    • 17th Jul 07, 11:23 AM
    • 17th Jul 07, 11:23 AM
    The house we are hopefully purchasing shows as 'Under Offer' on the EA website but 'Sold' on the for sale board at the property.

We have just received the list of fixtures and fittings from our solicitor.

I think it's just EA speak, i.e. 'Under Offer' and 'Sold STC' mean the same thing...they are hardly going to say it is Under Offer every time someone puts an offer in unless it has been accepted at which point it is 'Sold STC'.
  • krispy444
    • 17th Jul 07, 11:46 AM
    • 17th Jul 07, 11:46 AM
    Under offer means that offers can be offered !!

Sold STC means sold Subject To Contract, meaning that an offer has been accepted and hopefully working towards an exchange of contracts.
    • kingkano
    • By kingkano 17th Jul 07, 12:11 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    kingkano
    • 17th Jul 07, 12:11 PM
    • 17th Jul 07, 12:11 PM
    I thought decent agents will put under offer until the survey is done and sale progressing, then it becomes SSTC. bum agents just go straight to sold.
  • pamaris
    • 17th Jul 07, 12:18 PM
    • 17th Jul 07, 12:18 PM
    It cracks me up when agents say "offers invited". Well duh.

So, basically what I get from all this is that "under offer" and "SSTC" are supposed to mean different things, but don't always.
    • emg
    • By emg 17th Jul 07, 12:54 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    emg
    • 17th Jul 07, 12:54 PM
    • 17th Jul 07, 12:54 PM
    I always thought under offer meant in theory an offer had been accepted but that the buyer still needed to find a buyer for their house in order to proceed with the purchase whereas sold stc meant it was proceedable straight away.
    • nobblyned
    • By nobblyned 17th Jul 07, 1:17 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    nobblyned
    • 17th Jul 07, 1:17 PM
    • 17th Jul 07, 1:17 PM
    EAs seem to say whatever they like whenever they like. I wouldn't dwell on the semantics of it.
    Last edited by nobblyned; 17-07-2007 at 1:30 PM.
    • Phirefly
    • By Phirefly 17th Jul 07, 1:26 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    Phirefly
    It cracks me up when agents say "offers invited". Well duh.
    Originally posted by pamaris
    I like 'must be viewed' too. Nah s'ok, I'll take your word and buy it without viewing....
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 17th Jul 07, 1:31 PM
    • 23,600 Posts
    • 49,975 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    I like 'deceptively spacious'.
  • Romani Ite Domum
    What is the difference between "Sold STC" and "Under offer"?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by pamaris
    It means different things to different people.

I accepted an offer on my house a few weeks ago but I felt the people were time wasters as I have had this before. After exchanging solicitors details, I told the agent I did not want SSTC on my details in the window. I told them to stop actively advertising in the press etc and if anyone was interested, that we were "under offer". 3 days later the buyers pulled out due to a change of plans.

It's bad news if your EA starts putting you in the paper as "SSTC" and you lose your buyer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,609Posts Today

7,054Users online

Martin's Twitter