Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 16th Aug 14, 1:57 PM
    • 789Posts
    • 2,935Thanks
    Pushkin
    The Road to Financial Security
    • 16th Aug 14, 1:57 PM
    The Road to Financial Security 16th Aug 14 at 1:57 PM
    I've been reading a lot of the posts on this website and been very inspired by many of the mortgage free wannabee diarists. After a roller coaster of a year I think we are finally in a position to start making in roads into our mortgage.

Without wanting to waffle on too long here is a summary of our situation:

We are a family of 3, (my, husband & 12 year old son) plus our 9 year old labrador.

Lived in current house for 15 years and were hoping (and got very close) to move to a bigger house as part of our long term pension plan!

Still the chain fell apart and rightly or wrongly we have decided to stay put, spend some money on getting this house how we want it and more importantly OVERPAY on the mortgage!

Shamefully I'm not even on the mortgage (husband bought house in early stages of our relationship and it's one of the many things we never sorted out. So the list for the immediate future is:

Get my name put on mortgage
    Get on line access to mortgage - think they all do this right?
    Set up regular over payment

Still working through figures but wanted to kick this off as I am hoping it will inspire me to make progress. Quite nervous posting but so many inspirational folks here
Page 49
    • CathT
    • By CathT 17th Feb 17, 3:57 PM
    • 5,072 Posts
    • 34,597 Thanks
    CathT
    Enjoy this morning that of freedom and being a lady of leisure. It seems to have happened really quickly despite months of uncertainty.

I am usually encouraging of healthy eating but I think I'd be having the wine this evening!
    June 2010 £121,287
    March 2017 £82,808
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 18th Feb 17, 5:46 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    It seems my first day post employment starts with insomnia - I think I am still a bit all over the place emotionally - I was with the company 20 years so it's all a big change - mustn't over think it though.

Quite nice being up this early - just me and dog, catching up on some recorded telly. Will likely catch a granny nap later Just house chores and a trip to the cinema later.
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 19th Feb 17, 9:40 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    DH is cooking bacon & eggs - lip smacking good, haven't had a full English breakfast for months. Then we are off to Godalming for a walk along the river, were originally going to visit an NT house but it's such lovely weather thought we would treat the dog to some new scents.

Just moved to a new tariff with BG - free electricity between 9 & 5 on Sundays - 2nd load of washing currently on and tumble dryer is whirring around. Need to maximise it so 2 more loads ready to go in.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 19th Feb 17, 3:02 PM
    • 5,072 Posts
    • 34,597 Thanks
    CathT
    I'm tempted to look into the BG tariff. We are already with them but since our bills are currently quite low I'm reluctant to change anything! We both work Monday to Friday though so it sounds ideal for us.
    June 2010 £121,287
    March 2017 £82,808
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 19th Feb 17, 7:11 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Cath - our monthly amount (we are dual fuel) is slightly lower on this new tariff, we've just had a smart metre fitted which should lead to even greater accuracy. Apparently you can see how much you save from the Sat or Sunday free electric tariff on line - will update with how it goes am hopeful it might save a few quid each month.
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 21st Feb 17, 1:31 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Day 2 of not working & been pretty busy:

Took DS shopping yesterday to get a few bits (cards/balloons etc) for DH's 50th birthday next week.
    Had to have a granny nap as I was tired

Today - 2 loads of washing done
    Coffee with dad - his first time driving since he had his knee op last month
    Cleaned downstairs loo
    Tidied kitchen
    Have already walked 17,000 steps - target is 20k each day this week - which is actually tiring me more than I thought it would

About to go and clean the bathroom

Need to try my new dress on & see if the control underwear I have is enough or if I need to buy something else - we are out for dinner at a posh restaurant on Saturday to celebrate DH's birthday.

All in all doing ok with keeping busy so far - one of my biggest fears is I'd end up sitting on the sofa watching telly & eating all day.
    • amycool
    • By amycool 23rd Feb 17, 4:04 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    amycool
    There's always something to do in my experience! I have to schedule TV time! The only time I get to watch rubbish on TV is when DD is off school and taking an age to get ready.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£40,410.52- 42.5%
    Overpayments - £18935.03
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 23rd Feb 17, 8:28 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Still keeping busy:

Yesterday sorted most of my wardrobe out - 1 bin bag sack of clothes to throw away - shocked by how many items I keep that have holes in!

Clothes too small put in a pink bag in wardrobe
    Clothes too big put in a brown bag - will go under my bed

Ummed about a few items as to whether I should keep them or now so have bought some coloured stickers to put on them. If the sticker is still there in a year I should throw the item away.

Still need to do shoes, under bed, chest of drawers and cupboard on landing (also full of my clothes) and then DH's clothes - he won't escape the purge either

Feel so much better now I have done it though.

My parents took me out for lunch which was lovely although I did break soup week and have jacket potato.

Today I went shopping with mum as she wanted to buy DH his birthday present. Then I did the food shop and filled up the car with petrol. Got home, had lunch, walked the dog, picked DS up from school to take him to dentist. Got back at 5 - where did the day go??? !!

Want to stay up tonight to watch the by election results come in (yes I know it's more than a bit geeky) - want to take advantage of being able to sleep tomorrow. Trouble is I am really tired and it's not even 10pm!
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 25th Feb 17, 11:59 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Stayed up til about 3 to watch the by election results, slept til 9, walked the dog then had a nap Friday afternoon. Very lazy (& rather enjoyable) day. Trouble is its thrown my sleep routine out of whack, didn't sleep well last night and awoke at 5 and couldn't get back to sleep - pretty tired now so will have a granny nap after lunch.

We are out to a posh restaurant in London with friends tonight to celebrate DH's 50th which is next week. I've made peace with the cost of it - for my 50th I'd love to go to New York which would cost a whole lot more. It's what he wants to do and I'm quite excited about it - although to be honest places like that do intimidate me a bit - there are bottles of wine on the menu which cost £5,000!!! House red, house red, house red.... that will be our mantra!

Am debating if we should pay for our friends as thinking about it I think it's possibly a bit of a cheek to invite them out to celebrate his birthday and have it cost them so much, will speak to DH when he gets in.

DS and the dog are going to my parents for the night so will get a lie in tomorrow and be able to slob on the sofa in my pyjamas rather than have the dog hassling me for her walk.
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 27th Feb 17, 5:32 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Fantastic night out Saturday, was expensive but such fantastic food & service, staff were very welcoming and we had such a good time - lovely to get dressed up for once as well. Didn't get home til 1 am and after 2 gin and tonics and the best part of a bottle of red wine I felt rather delicate yesterday and did very little.

Today we've bought the tiles and paint for the kitchen which we are having repainted/retiled in a couple of weeks. The money for this is in a special house account which will be pretty much emptied after the kitchen is done

Tomorrow is DH's birthday so we are going shopping to look for a watch. Expensive month as it is DS's birthday in 2 weeks as well.

Still am determined to enjoy my month off and I can't do that without spending some money - am off to Wales for a few days on Wednesday. Still feeling positive in the main!
    • amycool
    • By amycool 27th Feb 17, 5:51 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    amycool
    Glad to see you're feeling positive! Birthday season is approaching for me too (why does everyone have to have their birthdays at once?!) but I've bought most of them thankfully.

Think of all the great stuff you've done to the house! It's all money well spent and that's what you saved it for so not really sad, although I get why you feel that way.
    Overpayments - £18935.03
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 3rd Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    I think DH had a good birthday, we went shopping to Reading - he opted for upgrading his f1tb1t as he has his heart set on an Omega watch (starting price of around £2,000 ) so said he will save up himself for that. I don't get it but it's his choice.

Had lunch out and then pancakes followed by birthday cake for tea -does bottled lemon juice count as one of my five a day?!!!

Trip to Wales was cancelled due to family illness (my friend's not mine) and the last few days have ended up being rather lazy to be honest. DS was excited about the idea of a boys night in with DH so I stayed the night with my parents Wednesday - the boys ordered pizza and watched John Wick.

Not been very healthy eating wise last few days although have been more on it today. Soup week starts again Monday.
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 5th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Lovely night out at the theatre last night - tickets were a present to DH for his birthday last week. I also made an afternoon tea at home (even baked some scones!) rather than go out for a meal - cheaper and meant the dog was left alone for less time.

Day at home today - took the dog for a long walk, cleaned out DS's wardrobe which was a horror film - a long overdue job, then did an hour of ironing.

DH has made pulled pork in the slow cooker which he is just finishing off for dinner.

Jobs for this week:
    • Sort out my shoes (bigger task than you might think )
    • Empty and sort out stuff in under bed storage
    • Tidy & declutter spare room
      Shop for card & last few presents for DS's birthday next week
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 9th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Am having a spectacularly unproductive week. Am not feeling ill exactly but just not right and really tired- could sleep for 20 hours a day!

Did a session of decluttering of under bed stuff and ordered more storage bags to tidy up what is being kept.

Haven't touched the spare room.

Finally had an appointment with a chiropodist yesterday to look at an issue I have with one of my big toes -she told me there was nothing she could do and to see my GP - really annoyed as that ended up being £34 for getting my nails cut!

Discovered all the Prime Suspect series available for download and have been binge watching.

Tomorrow need to nip to the shops for few bits for DS's birthday.

Really struggling with soup week right now!
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 12th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Still struggling with energy levels, quite glad the kitchen decoration starts this week as it will force me into some discipline and productivity.

Haircut yesterday and not a lot else although I managed a very long dog walk to compensate for eating too much in the morning.

Today another long dog walk, nipped to M&S with DH which was an error as they have a sale on it was mega busy and DH was very grumpy about it! He did get some trousers and I got a cheeky blouse (in the sale though!)

We are out for dinner tonight - restaurant and time are DS's choice for his birthday treat. Table booked for 6pm.

Started looking at the transition website provided by my company as part of the redundancy support - will contact the personal advisor I have this week as I need to start making progress and do some temping soon.
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 15th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Kitchen decoration is a work in progress, old tiles have been removed and ceiling painted (glitter ceiling ), not the guy's fault but wow do I hate having workmen in, dog is very unsettled as well. Hoping he'll finish Friday but can't really judge it right now.

Looking forward to when it's finished & fabulous and we can actually hang the picture we bought at the Ideal Home in 2015!! We are so bad at stuff like that - it's never been on the wall.

Saw my dad's financial advisor yesterday which was very helpful in terms of what we need to do next, how much I need to earn, how the pensions are looking etc.

I feel I"m going against the grain on this forum but we are likely going to focus on increasing DH's pension and do that instead of overpaying the mortgage. Won't do anything until I start earning some dosh again but I think this makes sense.
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 19th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Busy weekend not helped by the kitchen not being finished & everything still topsy turvy. DS had friends round for a sleepover last night which was ok but a bit stressful doing breakfast for them in the building site of a kitchen - especially as they wanted pancakes

After his friends had gone we went shopping (DS's request). I took a top back my mum bought me and bought 2 tops in the N£xt sale - bargain if they fit but I haven't tried them on yet.

Told myself I now won't buy any new clothes until I am down into the next stone - have only lost 0.5lb in the last 3 weeks - really annoyed about it and really struggling with the whole soup week thing.

Had a take away last night and lunch out today using the excuse of not being able to use the kitchen - maybe a bit weak but kind of understandable.

Decorator due to finish tomorrow - so looking forward to getting things straight again.
    • amycool
    • By amycool 21st Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    amycool
    I hope the decorating is now done - I feel your pain.

The fact that you've lost any weight is better than staying still and much better than putting it on, so don't be down about that. I watched an interesting documentary that explained how our bodies know when we have a calorie deficit and will desperately try to put it back on. That's why sticking to weight loss and weight management is so hard. Not impossible, but hard!

I've been ill for weeks so I'm completely ignoring the scales. And the housework.
    Overpayments - £18935.03
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 21st Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    The decorator finished at lunchtime today, he painted both window sills and a large portion of skirting board so I haven't done very much cleaning yet as I didn't want to risk messing up the gloss.

So tomorrow is cleaning day, plan to get stuck in as soon as I'm back from the morning dog walk. I can get most things straight, then DH can put the blinds, pictures, spice rack etc up at the weekend.

Really pleased with the result although wouldn't bother with the sparkly ceiling again - it's way too subtle and wasn't cheap.

Another bad day food wise - what is wrong with me! All my hard work of recent weeks is being undone - have only just done 10,000 steps today - had been averaging about 15,000 a day of late. Hoping once I get the house straight I will get back into a healthier routine.

Getting jittery about work - need to start temping but feel intermittently very nervous about it.

Amycool - sorry to hear you're still feeling ill - hope things start to improve soon. x
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 23rd Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Naughty trip to the cinema this afternoon, I bought some vouchers before I left my job as cheap tickets was one of the (few) perks. Went to see Lion which is of no interest to the boys and I really fancied some escapism. Fantastic film and one I would never watch at home so really pleased I went.

Very little in the way of housework or job hunting done...Starting to think maybe it's not worth working until the new tax year - excuses excuses!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,059Posts Today

10,257Users online

Martin's Twitter