Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 16th Aug 14, 2:57 PM
    • 701Posts
    • 2,635Thanks
    Pushkin
    The Road to Financial Security
    • 16th Aug 14, 2:57 PM
    The Road to Financial Security 16th Aug 14 at 2:57 PM
    I've been reading a lot of the posts on this website and been very inspired by many of the mortgage free wannabee diarists. After a roller coaster of a year I think we are finally in a position to start making in roads into our mortgage.

Without wanting to waffle on too long here is a summary of our situation:

We are a family of 3, (my, husband & 12 year old son) plus our 9 year old labrador.

Lived in current house for 15 years and were hoping (and got very close) to move to a bigger house as part of our long term pension plan!

Still the chain fell apart and rightly or wrongly we have decided to stay put, spend some money on getting this house how we want it and more importantly OVERPAY on the mortgage!

Shamefully I'm not even on the mortgage (husband bought house in early stages of our relationship and it's one of the many things we never sorted out. So the list for the immediate future is:

Get my name put on mortgage
    Get on line access to mortgage - think they all do this right?
    Set up regular over payment

Still working through figures but wanted to kick this off as I am hoping it will inspire me to make progress. Quite nervous posting but so many inspirational folks here
Page 43
    • amycool
    • By amycool 31st Aug 16, 6:35 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    amycool
    We've done that before. We only got an email as confirmation, which wouldn't print, but a year later I was sick with worry!

I'm very much a fan of a small house. If things don't fit, have fewer things. Cleaning a 3 bed semi is more than enough for me!
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£47558.12- 32%
    Overpayments - £13731.82

Comp wins: Stabilo fineliners - £105 worth of men's clothes - Hair tints - Granola - Bar of Galaxy - Topsy and Tim book
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 31st Aug 16, 7:50 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin

Really really kicking myself. Noticed a £9.99 charge on my credit card bill to 1TUn£s that I remember spending, did a LOT of investigation only to discover DS's account is attached to my credit card and he had (inadvertently) subscribed to @ppl£ Music 7 months ago

I trawled back through all my cc statements and this charge is on all of them - total of £70. What's annoying me more than the financial loss if that I obviously don't have the spandex tight control over my cc that I thought I did. My only defence is I have bought some albums myself over the past few months and because my cc has been within a reasonable threshold of what I thought the total was I didn't notice. New rule then is to calculate cc bill accurately - I normally round up on my xls so I ensure I have enough money for it and don't get any nasty surprises

I do actually believe DS when he says he didn't realise he had subscribed to this - I would have thought @ppl£ would email the cc account holder though when something was purchased - maybe they do and I didn't notice that either!

So all in all I need to tighten up on my financial record keeping.
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 2nd Sep 16, 7:14 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Have just closed the curtains - first time for a couple of months, feels very autumnal this evening.

DH bought a car yesterday Did well though and got £600 knocked off, I think because it was 1st September when the new plate comes out - was worth holding off til then. He will be picking it week Saturday. Will be devastated withdrawing the cash, sometimes I do have to remind myself that saving up for something does ultimately mean spending money.

I do have another confession though - we went in the ballot for tickets for next years World Athletics Championships which are being held in London. Having been inspired by the Olympics and having failed to get any tickets in 2012 thought we'd give it a go and DH talked me into going for the best tickets. Anyway we have got the tickets! My first thought was excitement closely followed by horror at how much we are spending on tickets to see sport.

Seriously will be doing some economising this autumn!
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 2nd Sep 16, 11:15 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 13,484 Thanks
    BookWorm
    It must be the week for CC 'issues' - I had one too. Don't be too hard on yourself. You have realised now and acted - that's what counts. Have a great weekend Pushkin
    • Bluefire
    • By Bluefire 3rd Sep 16, 7:00 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 2,794 Thanks
    Bluefire
    Anyway we have got the tickets! My first thought was excitement closely followed by horror at how much we are spending on tickets to see sport.
    Originally posted by Pushkin
    I went through much the same process buying tickets for Harry Potter & the Cursed Child. I think DH is still recovering!
    Mortgage: £28,896.49 £1,791.47
    MF Date:
    November 2041 December 2016
    MFW 2015 #110: £13,867/£13,000 (100%)
    Offset Savings 2015: £5,000/£5,000 (100%)
    MFW 2016 #110: £1498/£2308 (65%)
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 3rd Sep 16, 7:44 AM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Hi Bookworm - yes I saw your cc stresses this week - so so annoying and as you say all so easily done.

Have a fab holiday - love Italy so I'm sure it will be great.

Hi Bluefire- it's great marketing isn't it when winning a lottery/ballot means you spend money not win a prize! Have you been to Harry Potter & the Cursed Child play yet - it looks good but very long - I think my attention span is worse than my DS sometimes!
    • Bluefire
    • By Bluefire 4th Sep 16, 11:17 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 2,794 Thanks
    Bluefire
    Have you been to Harry Potter & the Cursed Child play yet - it looks good but very long - I think my attention span is worse than my DS sometimes!
    Originally posted by Pushkin
    Not until next year, we're booked for the day before my birthday, so I've only got to try & avoid spoilers for another 12 months(!) Would have preferred to see the two halves on different days but I can't justify paying for an additional hotel stay on top of the £280 for the tickets.
    Mortgage: £28,896.49 £1,791.47
    MF Date:
    November 2041 December 2016
    MFW 2015 #110: £13,867/£13,000 (100%)
    Offset Savings 2015: £5,000/£5,000 (100%)
    MFW 2016 #110: £1498/£2308 (65%)
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 5th Sep 16, 5:43 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Bluefire - can't say I blame you - staying overnight turns it into a whole new thing with hotel costs & extra meals.
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 5th Sep 16, 5:47 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    This weekend it's like someone flicked a switch and autumn appeared - it's my favourite season so really enjoying it. Then I see it's going to be 28 tomorrow - summer is back!

Had a really busy weekend - haircut, shopping, lunch out and cinema Saturday. Long dog walk and long lunch out yesterday. Hard to fit in time for any chores

Some financial juggling going on as I am expecting this huge cost for the athletics tickets to go onto my credit card bill any day. So def can't use my credit card now until 18th of the month nor really spend any miscellaneous money.

Have £35 cash in my purse & car is two thirds full of petrol so shouldn't need to spend (other than food) until well into next week. Now I've said that I've remembered DS starts school Wednesday so will need money loaded onto his lunch card - there's always something isn't there?
    • amycool
    • By amycool 9th Sep 16, 11:08 AM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    amycool
    I log my credit card spends onto my spreadsheet as they appear and then have a little equation that works out how much money I actually have, minus the debt. I doubt that makes sense, but anyway that way I can see exactly how much we've spent and on what. I have a minor panic attack if I see anything suspicious!!

Hope the new car is lovely. I'm not a car fan so spending £7k on one this year was a rubbish use of my carefully saved cash! I like to see my savings account go up forever.
    Overpayments - £13731.82

Comp wins: Stabilo fineliners - £105 worth of men's clothes - Hair tints - Granola - Bar of Galaxy - Topsy and Tim book
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 9th Sep 16, 5:58 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Hi Amycool - yes I too track cc spends on a spreadsheet, however I've got into the habit of rounding up the total in case I forgot to add something in. This is on the basis I would rather the total was lower than I estimated not higher. This is how I got caught out I think!

DH collects new car tomorrow -I have never seen him so excited - I had to pay for it today Daren't say on here how much but I confess I'm really pleased to see him so happy - everyone deserves a treat.
    Last edited by Pushkin; 09-09-2016 at 8:49 PM. Reason: typo
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 11th Sep 16, 5:29 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    DH picked up his new car yesterday - he is like a kid he is so excited and pleased with it -even went out after dark last night to see how it drove

Today we went down to a NT house in Dorset, an opportunity to have a decent drive in the car. Really lovely drive in the sun, house was interesting and we didn't bother with a trip to the cafe a the queue was long & I persuaded DH not to bother - good going huh

No money news but haven't spent anything this weekend (well apart from the £000s for the car of course ) which is helping with the tight cash flow I have this month.
    • amycool
    • By amycool 12th Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    amycool
    Good on you for resisting the NT caf! - they're so expensive and the food isn't even great quality. Picnics all the way for us!

Glad the car has brought so much joy!
    Overpayments - £13731.82

• Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 14th Sep 16, 6:50 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Hi Amycool - yes NT cafes are expensive but I do love the indulgence of eating/drinking out so feel quite smug about resisting this once.

Got my bi annual investment ISA statement today - delighted to see the balance is nearly £2k higher than in February. That was until I worked out what the balance would be without any share growth (i.e just taking into account the small cash inputs we make) and it was £40 higher.

Oh well as my father says, every time I moan at him about this, it's a long term investment.
    Last edited by Pushkin; 14-09-2016 at 6:50 PM. Reason: typo
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 18th Sep 16, 5:10 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Lovely weekend, today we went to a local agricultural show - I withdrew £100 for the trip and have come home with £60 - no card spends either. DH bought a new wax jacket but paid with his own money - it was in the sale so he is learning well

Also smashed the 10k steps with the trip. 14k and counting...

So no money news, pay day next week and should have a few ££ left to move slush fund & savings. I know I'm just playing games but I love making sure I have some left just before pay day - I could move more to savings at the start of the month but this way seems so much more fun.

Hmmm nerd alert....
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 21st Sep 16, 6:00 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    No money news, house is a pit, work is quiet but I seem so be in an inert stupor - even bribed DS to take dog out after school today. It frustrates me as being this quiet at work should be a good opportunity to do some bits round the house then have the weekend free. Instead I just seem to fall into total laziness

Payday on Friday but I have Fri and Mon off, will do a big food shop and some bulk cooking. Also going to do some Christmas shopping just to kick it off really & make myself feel better.
    • amycool
    • By amycool 22nd Sep 16, 10:43 AM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    amycool
    You're allowed to be lazy sometimes. I think occasional laziness is needed or you burn out.

Christmas shopping should be a doddle for me this year as I have informed all family and friends that we're just buying for kids. I've already bought all the kids' gifts! In reality, there will be a big argument and lots of sulking and moaning about it.
    Overpayments - £13731.82

• Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 23rd Sep 16, 4:49 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Thanks Amy - as if to continue the lazy theme... I have taken today and Monday off work so nice long weekend. Today I did some cleaning/tidying this morning then went to the cinema at lunchtime to see the new Bridget Jones film.

Haven't been to the cinema on my own for about 20 yrs but the boys didn't want to see it and I thought why not - it's not like you need anyone with you to make conversation during the film! Really enjoyed it.
    • Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 26th Sep 16, 9:23 AM
    • 701 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Off work today - could get used to 4 day weekends

Just been on a long walk with the dog and having a coffee. Will then pop to the shops for a few bits and then home for some domestic tasks:
    tidying - kitchen, bedroom, lounge
    sort washing
    make 2 lasagnes for the freezer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

1,375Users online

Martin's Twitter